negative number format

I have a report uploaded to excel from a particular program used here at
work.  In that program, negative numbers have the format of $###.00-, with
the minus sign at the end instead of the beginning.
When the data comes over to Excel the minus sign is still at the end of the
number.  The text currently has a General Format with No Specific Number
Format. I have been manually moving the minus signs to the beginning in each
cell, then changing the Column to Currency Number Format which is very time
consuming.  Is there a formula I can use in the Cell, Column and/or Worksheet
containing these numbers to globally change them at once?   150 of 350
cells...

I want the negative number to remain in the cell, I will then change to
currency format, and will be part of another formula at the end of the row.

example: cell J2 is     6,476.52-

0
jpriddy (1)

Hi,
You can create a custom format, Highlight the worksheet, righ click in the
mouse, format cells, at the end of the list you will find Custom and then
copy the following
#,##0;-#,##0

that format will stay there to be choosen

"jpriddy" wrote:

> I have a report uploaded to excel from a particular program used here at
> work.  In that program, negative numbers have the format of $###.00-, with
> the minus sign at the end instead of the beginning.
> When the data comes over to Excel the minus sign is still at the end of the
> number.  The text currently has a General Format with No Specific Number
> Format. I have been manually moving the minus signs to the beginning in each
> cell, then changing the Column to Currency Number Format which is very time
> consuming.  Is there a formula I can use in the Cell, Column and/or Worksheet
> containing these numbers to globally change them at once?   150 of 350
> cells...
>
> I want the negative number to remain in the cell, I will then change to
> currency format, and will be part of another formula at the end of the row.
>
> example: cell J2 is     6,476.52-

0
Eduardo (134)

Sequential Numbering in Word 2003 and Recycling unused numbers
Once again, I am stuck in Macro world which is quickly consuming me :) It is though, quite addictive and I am determined to win the fight I'm having with my PC. I work for a company which uses network servers so the document needs to be accessed by different people but not necessarily at the same time. We operate Windows XP Word 2003. I am trying to create a document that will open with a sequential number, but if the document is not used or opened accidentally then the number it has generated needs to be recycled for auditing purposes. I seem to be able to get the number t...

formatting #2
I have a large worksheet that I need to change the text to all caps. I have tried using the UPPER function but it will only work in one cell. How to I get the entire worksheet to become all caps? Help! Hi see http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Jackie wrote: > I have a large worksheet that I need to change the text to > all caps. I have tried using the UPPER function but it > will only work in one cell. How to I get the entire > worksheet to become all caps? Help! Hi Jackie If you have trouble using macros you can do this ...

Conditional Formatting #89
I need to know how to make a block turn RED if the date exceeds a year. Thanks! Do you mean if the data exceeds one year from today? If so, select the target cell, go to Format > Conditional Formatting, choose Formula Is, and put: =$A$1<DATE(YEAR(TODAY())-1,MONTH(TODAY()),DAY(TODAY())) Change $A$1 to your actual cell reference. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I need to know how to make a block turn RED if the date exceeds a year. Thanks! >. > Try this in - Conditional Format - Formula Is: =DATE(YEAR(E1)+1,MONTH(E1),DAY(E1))<=TODAY() If E1 was ...

Case numbering 01-26-04
I have found the auto numbering in 1.2, but it only lets me change the prefix for the cases "CAS". I need to start my numbering at 3500 instead of 1000. Is there a way to change the starting number? Thanks, Stefanie ...

Zoom percentage and formatting palette

how do Ii remove the grey page numbers in a work sheet
how do Ii remove the grey page numbers in a work sheet Try going to the View menu and unchecking Page Break Preview On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:01:08 -0800, "parker1230" <parker1230@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >how do Ii remove the grey page numbers in a work sheet You may be in page break preview mode. Go to "View" and select "normal" Regards Bill K "parker1230" <parker1230@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A65FC73-CAA0-428D-8ECD-0C2A2E15B799@microsoft.com... > how do Ii remove the grey page numbers in a work she...

report format portrait and lanscape
Is it possible to have one command to change report between portait or lanscape? If not, probably the best solution will be 2 reports. Your information is great appreciated, Your report is probably designed in portrait. This means it is designed to print 8-1/2" - the left and right margins wide. If you change the printout to landscape it is still going to print less than 8-1/2" wide on the left side of the paper leaving more than 3-1/2" blank on the roght side of the paper. To fill the paper you would have to write code to reposition and stretch out each con...

How to you selectively sum on a series of numbers?
I have a column filled with numbers, but I only want to sum up a few of them. Let's say I have numbers filling A1:A10. Let's say I only want to sum up the numbers located is A3 and A4. I'd like to ability to enter something in the b column (e.g. "y" in cells b3 and b4) and have a formula that adds up the values in the "A" cells that have a corresponding "y" in the "B" column. This formula would allow me to selectively choose which cells needs to be summed. What is the best/cleanest way to write that formula? Thank you. =SUMPRODUC...

Community bank's new software doesn't export in my format
I am still using Money98 which does all of the little tasks I need (no investments at my age). Two national banks provide exports in .qif format as a matter of course, but when my local community bank went to new (better) software, ".qif" was missing from the list of available export formats. I wrote the bank and received word that the bank's vendor didn't support Money98. The bank officer said: "My guess is the contract they have with Intuit and Microsoft stipulates they not support it as those companies want consumers to always upgrade their software.&...

Question on Formats...
This ought to be quite simple to answer. Is it possible to format the contents of a combobox? On sheet1 I have text in cells A1 to A8 e.g A1 = John, A2 = Steve, A3 = Claire etc. I have a combobox on a chart that displays those names when I click the down arrow. The default is lower case, black lettering. Can I make the names appear in bold and green for example? I have tried modifying the original names but that makes no difference. If I right click the combobox and select <Format Control> I cannot see a way to format my data entries. Maybe you can't do it. And I want to ...

Excel page format changes

two decimals - remove percentage sign
Hello everyone, I have percentages that i'm displaying in graphs with data labels. I'd like to remove the % sign so it is easier to view the data labels because the graphs are small, and i'd like to do it with custom formatting because there is quite a lot of data that i dont want to convert to whole numbers. I think the best way to do this is to somehow use custom formatting in format cells -->number-->custom to multiply by 100 and display it that way. is that possible? Thanks for the help! Adam ...

How do I reduce the number of data points I have??
Hi , I have some 10000 data points from which I need to reduce to something like 100 points before making an xy chart. Typically I would like to make a chart of every 10th point. So basically I need to reduce the length of my two rows. Is there any way I can do this easily?? Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance -- swapan From the Microsoft Charting FAQ: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=209#jon024 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ ssan...

Automatic number fill-in on Labels
Is it possible to have word automatically fill in a series of numbers on Labels. I need a set of labels, counting by fives, from 1 to 3500. Just wishing I didn't have to key in every number....0001-0005, etc. See http://www.gmayor.com/Numbered_labels.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Bridgett" <Bridgett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D380870-FF28-4227-B724-301AC3EC9A8D@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to have word automatically fill in a series of numbers on > Labels. I need a set of labels, counting by fives, from 1 ...

converting from text to numerical number
I have a spread sheet of entire year schedule. The format as following: 1 2 3 .... 31 row 1 row 2 row 3 Jan row 4 row 5 Feb row x Dec I would like to replace column 1 up to Jan to 1. Replace the cell below Jan to Feb to 2. etc. Would anyone help. Thanks in advance. You could select cells A1:A3, type a 1, then press Ctrl+Enter Select A4:A5, type a 2, and press Ctrl+Enter And so on, till all twelve months are done. james wrote: > I have a spread sheet of entire year schedule. The format as following: > > 1 2 3 .... 31 &...

OL 2003; Question about two default attachments in HTMLMessage Format
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C51E85.7F26CCA0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0010_01C51E85.7F26CCA0" ------=_NextPart_001_0010_01C51E85.7F26CCA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Outlook 2003, XPP SP2=20 Hello, When I send an e-mail message in HTML message format, the recipient = (even when I send to myself) also receives two default attachments, = image001.png and image002.png. The first image is a what I would guess a = Microsoft ...

conditional formatting: separating rows with differing values
Hi, Need help with conditional fomatting. What I need: I got a worksheet with 950 rows and 5 columns. The first row contain the headers. Columns A, B, D and E contains unique values. But the column C contains text values which repeats sequentially for 6-7 rows and changes thereafter. Now I want to put up a line (using border) through the whole row dividing this transition row. My Idea: Compare C2 with C3, if equal do nothing. Then compare C3 with C4 and so on till 2 consequtive values differ. Now divide the 2 rows using the border formatting option in conditional formatting dialog box. So...

Date Format when incoming date can be 0
I have a date fiels yyyymmdd which can have a value of 0 or a valid date in recent past. Excel displays the 0 date as 01/01/1900 and the non zero dates as expected. Cant figure this out , any help would be appreciated. Excel uses a sequencial number from either 1/1/1900, or 1/1/1904 (depending on your options) as the date value for Example 6/3/2005 is 38506 using the 1/1/1900 if the cell is formatted as a date it is responding with the date it thinks you mean. If you want the cell to display a zero =if(Date=0,"0",date) "DP NY10601" wrote: > I have a date fiels y...

Converting a number to Hour & Min format
I am attempting to take a basic number, say 2000, and convert the number into an hour and minute format (i.e. 33:33) only. Everytime I use the custom format tab or the time/date tab I get a date included or an AM/PM setting. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance. Hi, For any number to be converted into time format you need to divide tha number by 24, since Excel time code is 24 (hr) code. then you forma the divided answer (83.33) into time, you will get 8:00 regards sazi -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Use Format/Cells/Number/Custom [hh]:mm In article <...

Label of Number in a Range
I have set a high and low range of values with a correponding label, how do I return the label of the range where the data point fits? For example, ColA ColB ColC 5 10 Low 11 20 Medium 21 30 High D1 has the value 13 how do I get E1 to return the label "Medium" Thank you Hi Try: =VLOOKUP(D1,A2:C4,3) -- Andy. "webnntp" <webnntp@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d1d35423.0405120719.7be94baa@posting.google.com... > I have set a high and low range of values with a correponding label, > how do I return the label of the range where the data point ...

formatting background on CD label
How do I get the background to be one continuous picture and not duplicates of the same picture? I tried to look in help but couldn't find anything. It looks really ugly. Faith wrote: > How do I get the background to be one continuous picture and not duplicates > of the same picture? I tried to look in help but couldn't find anything. It > looks really ugly. Instead of using the "background" option (which is more designed for web pages), insert the picture (either on the Master Page, or on the publication page and send it to the back), and resize it to fill t...

Text Function with Different Formatting for Number
I'm trying to use a text function where I reference a number from another cell but I need the text part to be bold and the number not to be bold. This is the formula I'm using right now: ="Sales: "&TEXT(A16,"$#,##0_);($#,##0)") Unfortunately, excel won't let me just make the text bold without making the number bold. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks M, I think a macro could do this, since it's really a string you're going to wind up with. But if you can put the Sales: part in a separate cell, life will be much easier anyway. then you ...

length of lot number
increase the amount of characters in the lot number field. current field length is not ample space to adequately describe lots in our organization. Length of the item description was increased to 100. In our case, lots are as important as items. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agre...

How do I convert a time format to a double
I use a function to calculate the hours worked based on time 12:00pm to 4:00pm is 4.0 hours when I get the number for hours worked it is in time format / .27398237 I need the number 4 so that I can do my calculation. How do I convert it to a number? Multiply with 24 and format as general -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "DMB" <DMB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:552FAD83-E8D4-4573-B9FF-613DDD259C22@microsoft.com... > I use a function to calculate the hours worked based on time > > 12:00pm to 4:00pm is 4.0 hours > > when I get the number for hou...

Vertical page numbers in a graph
I need to add vertical page numbers under page setup when printing a graph. Has anyone done this before? I definitely want it out of the graph area. Thanks - I don't understand the problem -- and I suspect a similar reason has stopped others from responding. If you set up a page number in the page header, it is not part of the chart area. In addition, after setting up the page information in the header, switch to Print Preview mode and click the margins... button. XL has a neat graphical way of adjusting various page borders/margins. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- E...