negative number format

I have a report uploaded to excel from a particular program used here at
work.  In that program, negative numbers have the format of $###.00-, with
the minus sign at the end instead of the beginning.
When the data comes over to Excel the minus sign is still at the end of the
number.  The text currently has a General Format with No Specific Number
Format. I have been manually moving the minus signs to the beginning in each
cell, then changing the Column to Currency Number Format which is very time
consuming.  Is there a formula I can use in the Cell, Column and/or Worksheet
containing these numbers to globally change them at once?   150 of 350
cells...

I want the negative number to remain in the cell, I will then change to
currency format, and will be part of another formula at the end of the row.

example: cell J2 is     6,476.52-

0
jpriddy (1)

Hi,
You can create a custom format, Highlight the worksheet, righ click in the
mouse, format cells, at the end of the list you will find Custom and then
copy the following
#,##0;-#,##0

that format will stay there to be choosen

"jpriddy" wrote:

> I have a report uploaded to excel from a particular program used here at
> work.  In that program, negative numbers have the format of $###.00-, with
> the minus sign at the end instead of the beginning.
> When the data comes over to Excel the minus sign is still at the end of the
> number.  The text currently has a General Format with No Specific Number
> Format. I have been manually moving the minus signs to the beginning in each
> cell, then changing the Column to Currency Number Format which is very time
> consuming.  Is there a formula I can use in the Cell, Column and/or Worksheet
> containing these numbers to globally change them at once?   150 of 350
> cells...
>
> I want the negative number to remain in the cell, I will then change to
> currency format, and will be part of another formula at the end of the row.
>
> example: cell J2 is     6,476.52-

0
Eduardo (134)

Phone Number not showing in GAL
I'm running Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003. I put a phone number in a users "Telephone Number" field in AD, It does not show up in the user for the GAL. I let replication take place. Anything else I could look for? Thanks Rick On 3 Jul 2006 05:54:50 -0700, "Rick" <drummer10980@gmail.com> wrote: >I'm running Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003. I put a phone number in a users >"Telephone Number" field in AD, It does not show up in the user for the >GAL. I let replication take place. Anything else I could look for? > >Thanks >Rick There are s...

Problems with index page numbers
I have a 66 page document with a TOC and an index. The page numbers in the TOC are correct, but in the index they are 2 pages off. I clicked the paragraph button to display the index field codes - I think the problem lies in the fact that the TOC contains index codes with many cross references for documents in the appendix (a number of separate documents). This causes the TOC to display over four pages when showing the field codes and only two when not. Is there an easy way to fix the page numbering in the index? -- A. Avery You must be careful to have the XE fields hidden whe...

Japanese Calender Fonts and Numbers
I have a user here who can not get rid of japanese font in his calander program after having installed Japanese fonts at a previos time.I have removed all things that are japenese and I still cant get rid of it in calander and the clock.I have already tryed all the things that you will sugjest .I was wondering if anyone knew of any thing wierd that me be causing this?Thanks ahead of time for help.I it gone from everything else. ...

Page Format
Is there a way to change the Outlook XP username? Any email I print in outlook lists my default email address (which I'm told is also the username) at the top of the email, underlined and boldprint. Then, the message header follows (with the usual from, sent, to, etc). It prints this default email address on every email; even those not received from that account. Can anyone help??? Thanks! Unless you have an Exchange server that name should be taken from your default e-mail account. Go into that account (Tools | E-Mail Accounts | Change...) and edit the Display name listed there...

Conditional formatting won't accept font change?
Was reading a bit on Conditional Formatting as I using quite a bit of it in a series of spreadsheets I'm doing. I read in this NG that you can't change fonts with CF and I checked to see is this was true. It's true in XL2000. But what I can't figure out is why is there a list of fonts in the CF dialog box that's always, as near as I can tell, grayed out. Anyone know what's going on here? Thanks for the help! I assume it was more efficient for the programmers to use the existing Font format dialog tab, than to create one specifically for conditional formatting. Also...

zeros are being added to my numbers
Hi when i type a number into a cell ie 6 when i leave the cell a zero is automatically added. I dont want this zero to be added -- des In front or at the end? Check: a. Tools|Options|Edit tab, uncheck Fixed Decimal b. Format the cell as General -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "des" <alberyds@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:564346C5-2851-4B9B-A616-D4305AECD360@microsoft.com... | Hi when i type a number into a cell ie 6 when i leave the cell a zero is | automatically added. I dont want this zero to be added | -- | des Hi Niek Otten your fix ...

Conditional Sum testing cell format.
I suspect this problem may be solved more simply with a pivot table, but my users are having problems creating the pivot tables after they build the data base. Event data is recorded as pairs in a row where the first cell of the pair contains the date and the second cell of the pair contains the data. For example, the sheet where column A, row 9 indicates the hotel (Hilton), column B will contain the formula, and columns C through L will contain the data: Hilton|formula| 1/11/1996 | $56 | 5/8/2004 | $89 |etc� to column �L� I am looking for a formula that I can insert in column B on...

Conditional Date Format.
I would like to conditionally format a date. I have read earlier posts on conditionally formatting numbers but I have been unable to transfer this to dates. Here is what I want and maybe someone out there has done this. If the date is before some cutoff point say 1970, I want the format to be blank, otherwise format the date in RED as m/d/yyyy. Is this doable? Thank you. Kevin You can't blank out the value within the cell using format|conditional formatting. But you could use format|conditional formatting to make the cell look empty--white fill on a white background. Select the ...

negative values causing column title problem
How do I get the Column titles x axis lables at he bottom of the chart field when have negative values It s friday and this is killing me. Select the axis Choose Format>Selected axis On the Patterns tab, for Tick Mark Labels, select Low TFrisch wrote: > How do I get the Column titles x axis lables at he bottom > of the chart field when have negative values > > It s friday and this is killing me. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html hey thanks - boy was thaqt annoying >-----Original Message----- >Select th...

page numbering #3
Please let me know the simplest way in Excel to automatically number pages like page 1 of 9, 2 of 9, 3 of 9, etc.? Also, in the future, if I delete a worksheet, then will the system know that it now needs to be 1 of 8, 2 of 8, 3 of 8, etc.? Thank you very much. Aamir To have consective numbering 1 of 9, 2 of 9 etc. when printing all sheets in a workbook. Select first sheet tab and right-click and "select all sheets". File>Page Setup>Headers/Footers. Select Header or Footer and choose from the built-in page numbering options. You can do the same when slecting only one ...

get a list of sequence number that meet 3 criteria 12-07-09
How do you get a list of sequence numbers of 5 that meet 3 criteria? There are 1-59. I want to get a list of sequence numbers that consists of 5 number being called. Below are 3 criteria which consist of 24 to 28 group and each group has 1-3 numbers. Only one number is call from each group and no group will have two number call in the same sequence. There should be 5 number called. For example: 16 35 37 42 51 criteria 1 criteria 2 criteria 3 group 1 59 group 1 50 group 1 50 group 2 58 group 2 40 group 2 40 51 group 3 49 group 3 51 group 3 30 41 52 gr...

Insert Consecutive Numbers in the Middle Of Each Cell in a Selecti
Hello, I work with lists that look like this: How To Build A Chair - Getting Started How To Build A Chair - The Hard Part How To Build A Chair - Cleaning Up Forgotten Tales From Nova Scotia When To Say No Jack's Favorite Foods - Breakfast Jack's Favorite Foods - Snacks Jack's Favorite Foods - Drinks Jack's Favorite Foods - Picnics I want to build a macro that will allow me to select all the cells from the same book, run the macro, and end up with this: How To Build A Chair - 1. Getting Started How To Build A Chair - 2. The Hard Part How To Build A Chair - ...

Excel 2007 Forgets Formatting
My employer upgraded our computers to Excel 2007 a couple of months ago. Since that time, I have had several occasions in which Excel has "forgotten" some of the formatting in a workbook. This has happened when I have opened a workbook, done some work in it, and then saved and closed the workbook. When I reopen the workbook later, some of the cells are no longer formatted the way they were when I saved the workbook. This has occurred both for files saved in "compatibility mode" (that is, using the Excel 95-2003 file format) and in the new XTML format used by Excel...

Number of DC is limited?
I've heard that number of DC (Device Context) is limited. I want to know, 1. How many DCs are available? 2. What happens when all of them are in use? 3. Where can I or how can I find this kind of informations? I tried to read MSDN about Device Context but I couldn't find it. I want to learn how to catch fishes not only fishes. But it's doesn't mean that I don't nees fishes :-) there are 5 DCs avalible to your app. when you've used them all, GetDC() fails. joe # "Joonho Ryu" <junoryu@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uD1eYnAXDHA.2236@TK2MSFTNGP10...

Excel file saved as txt with justified column numbers when viewed in a txt viewer
I was wondering if its possible/how to export an excel file to txt format and make sure that the first column in excel will start be from column 1-10 on a txt viewer and the second column would be from 11-20 in the txt viewer. If anyone could help me with this, I would really appreciate it. Saved from a previous post: There's a limit of 240 characters per line when you do File|saveas and use .prn files. So if your data wouldn't create a record that was longer than 240 characters, you can save the file as .prn. I like to use a fixed width font (courier new) and adjust t...

Strange negative indent in plain text messages
Recently my Outlook 2007 installation decided to indent the first line of any plain text message about half an inch to the left, resulting in the first 2 letters not being displayed as they happen to be outside the display area. That applies to editing mails as well as displaying mails in a separate window and in reading pane. Up to now I wasn't able to figure out how to reset that indent configuration. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help. sounds like a style is messed up. if the 'outdent' can't be changed using the Decrease indent button (next to the alignment b...

how can I reduce number of pages in a banner
I make banners quite often for school but I do not know how I can use less pages than the one on the banner template sometimes for instance I only want a small banner covering 2 or 3 pages can anyone help explain how I can do this thanks What version Publisher are you using? If you are using 2007, File, Page Setup, Advanced. You will want to type in numbers that will not exceed the height of your stock. For example type 24" x 8.5, in print preview this will produce 3 pages. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "corby585" <corby585@discussions.microsof...

Access violation error
Hello, I've been trying to fix this heap memory error for about 12 hours and I'm starting to pull my hair. Can you guys help me before I go bald? Since it's a memory heap error: HEAP[WebMedia.exe]: Heap block at 003376A8 modified at 003376EC past requested size of 38 I'm having a very hard time figuring it out what exactly is causing it. I tried to remove as much code as possible while keeping the error still there. Then I tried to use "AppVerifier", "gflags", "Windbg" to understand where the error is coming from with very little success. I'...

deleting numbers in a column
:) :) can someone assist with the formula that would allow me to remove all but the last 4 digits in a column of numbers -- roddtx ------------------------------------------------------------------------ roddtx's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32571 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=523694 Hi You could use a helper column with this in: =RIGHT(A2,4) and fill this down. Andy. "roddtx" <roddtx.24tuxm_1142621708.5579@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:roddtx.24tuxm_1142621708.5579@exce...

CString::format...
I want to cause CString.format such as the following CString.Format (_T("%2.1f"), MyDouble); to create output that looks like the following xx.x %. How do I include the % sign at the end of my number? RABMissouri Use %% "RBert" <drbert@microcore.net> a �crit dans le message de news: #3pWTX65DHA.3664@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I want to cause CString.format such as the following CString.Format > (_T("%2.1f"), MyDouble); > to create output that looks like the following xx.x %. How do I include > the % sign at the end of my number? > &...

New Emails always formatted in capital letters
My documents alway start in capital letters. I remove the cap lock by clicking onto a customize button on my toolbar(All Caps button) How can I reformat Word and Outlock to start in lowercase. It sounds like the font in your Normal Style might be formatted as All Caps. -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on a paid professional basis. "DC" <DC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:804EE4CC-3550-4B4B-A1FE-411CC7753432@microsoft.com... > My documents alway star...

Re: Underline Format
Hi! I am experiencing a problem where all my e-mails received, composed or replied in plain text or rich text format has black underlines by default even without me activating the underline format in outlook. I cheked under TOOLS - FORMAT section but every option under tools other than spell check and grammar is grayed out. Please e-mail me the solution to this problem if you have seen it before. Thanks. Try using Select All and then using the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+U -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. "sunny Tha...

how do I format a cell using zero as the first number?
I am entering numbers in an excel spread sheet and some of my numbers startwith a zero, which does not show up. How can I change that? Well this is an Access database forum; however, since Access has the same behavior, I'll take a stab: Numbers don't have leading zeros. If you need to see leading zeros, format it as a text field. In Access there are some fancy ways to display leading zeros in front of numerical characters, but then it's no longer a number. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builde...

message
I cannot now open an EXCEL file I created some while ago. Instead I get a message saying file format is invalid. File name is less than 219 characters. I can see what is in the file using Quick View. How can I restore access to file using EXCEL? Maybe try Inserting it into a blank Excel sheet.........or try opening it in Excel XP, or even MS Word........ Does it for sure have an .xls extention......maybe someone opened it in another program and saved it as some thing else...... hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "robert potts" <annebob@sr82nf.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in me...

Date Format #7
Dear friends, Everytime I type the Date of 10 Dec. 2005 as 10/12/2005, it converted to 12/10/2005 and it refused to be modified when I try to adjust it from FormatCells. -- Regards, ------------------------------------------------- Mahmoud Metwally Ali Jaicorp IT Manager Office Tel. : (202) 3471495/361 Mob. : (2010) 5195169 ...