Negative Number column

I am trying to make a column product negative numbers when I manually enter
them in a spreadsheet.  I am using a simple sum formula to add across rows
(10 columns) and the first column should always be a negative number i.e
credit and the rest positive.

I am real new to excel so I must be doing something wrong.

Assuming the 10 cols are A to J,
maybe a simpler way would be to use something like ..

In K1: =SUM(B1:J1)-A1
Or, in K1: =SUM(B1:J1,-A1)

with K1 copied down

Then you could just enter the credit numbers
in the first column "as-is",
w/o worrying about making these negative
--
Rgds
Max
"go" <gary_orgill@msn.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to make a column product negative numbers when I manually
enter
> them in a spreadsheet.  I am using a simple sum formula to add across rows
> (10 columns) and the first column should always be a negative number i.e
> credit and the rest positive.
>
> I am real new to excel so I must be doing something wrong.

0
demechanik (4694)

How do I make numbers become text?
I am trying to create a spreadsheet where numbers entered in one location become text in another. I tried the Help option, but I am still lost. Please help, and thank you. From earlier postings: How to Convert a Numeric Value into English Words http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN- US;140704& and: (courtesy of a cut and paste from a Tom Ogilvy post): If you want an addin that provides a worksheet function that does this, download Laurent Longre's free morefunc.xll addin found here: http://longre.free.fr/english/ It is downloaded in a zip file which also conta...

Excel
Is there a way to change an imported number such as: 7042626598 and display it as a phone number like: (704) 262-6598 ? Thank you, Be -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Ben, Yes you can format the cells containing the 10 digit number to a phone number. Highlight all the required cell and on the Main menu choose Format/Cells/Number/Special/Phone Number Charlie O'Neill >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to change an imported number such as: > >7042626598 and display it as a phone number like: > >(704) 262-6598 > >? > > >...

BCP Computed Column
Hi. I have a table with a computed column. When I try to import data into table through BCP it generates error due to computed column. So how to handle a computed column while importing data into table through bcp from a text file. Regards, Muhammad Bilal You need to use a format file that tells BCP to skip that column. See BOL for info on bcp format files. Tom "Muhammad Bilal" <MuhammadBilal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5AD65421-C599-4773-B56F-24841FE05D5A@microsoft.com... > Hi. > > I have a table with a computed column...

data labels from second column
Hi Column A is list of names (Bob, Sue, etc); column B is how much they collected (58, 12, etc); Column C is the date they did it on - so record 1 says Bob collected 58 on 10/07/07, for instance. I want to create a chart with the date for the x axis, amount collected as the y axis and data labels at each point within the graph giving the collector's name. So at X=12/07/07, y=58 I want it to say Bob within the chart area. Any help much appreciated. Regards Chandler On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Chandler <Chandler@discussions.microsoft.com> said: &...

Item level revision numbers on POs
The Item Engineering info on inventory items in manufacturing includes revision numbers for items, however because that info is in the manufacturing dictionary we can't include through report writer on POs. I'd like to develop a routine that would copy the revision number from the item engineering table to one of the user-defined tables in inventory. Any suggestions on how to do that? Or an alternate approach to the problem? -- Jim@TurboChef Jim- This script will put the current Rev level from Item Engineering into User Category 1 on the item master. update iv00101 set usca...

Comparing Values In 2 Columns
Hi, i have 2 list of students names both of which are not up to date with each other and because of this one list has more students than the other. I want to search for students names and see if there is a match, if a match is found i need to copy the email address and paste it into the cell by the other name in the other list. See Below My spreadsheet has columns titled, (A)Display Name, (B)Display Email, (C)Sims Name and (D)Sims Email. I basically want to write a script that takes each individual display name in column A and searches in column C for an identical match, if a match is found i...

Conver Numbers to Log 10
How do I convert column of numbers (n=3000) to log 10 column of numbers? Assuming that your column is column A, one way: In an unused column, enter =LOG(A1) and copy down 3000 cells. Copy the column, choose column A and choose Edit/Paste Special, selecting the Values radio button. In article <0CDE6301-FC9C-488C-9D9F-3AD26B46EFCE@microsoft.com>, "Fishfan" <Fishfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I convert column of numbers (n=3000) to log 10 column of numbers? ...

error numbers
Does anyone know if microsoft has a way to look up errors and their resolution by ERROR NUMBER? I have never found anything like that. Now they have something called "Events and Errors Message Center" but even that doesn't appear to let one look up errors by error number! Thanks Hi, Fredrated schrieb: > Does anyone know if microsoft has a way to look up errors and their > resolution by ERROR NUMBER? > > I have never found anything like that. Now they have something called > "Events and Errors Message Center" but even that doesn't appear to...

What is the maximum number of users that can share Excel File?
According to the Excel Help file, all users on your network, unless you restrict the number. "pfine" wrote: > ...

lookup row number
Hi, can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list. EG say I have a list of names as below: Andrew Mike Steve Ian Paul I would normally just add a column with the row numbers and then lookup the row number in the second column but is it possible to do without adding the extra column by using the row formula someohow? Thanks Hi Michael Try the below.. =MATCH("Mike",A:A,0) -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Michael" wrote: > Hi, > can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list. > > EG say I hav...

How can I compare the column names from 2 tables and output them?
I have a requirement to place an alert if the field does not exist in my table, tblStaging. Can any one guide me to reframe this query with error handling messages? I know it is not good practice to use select * but I need to do this as my columns\field names change each time. INSERT INTO tblStaging SELECT * FROM tbl_XL,tblDetails; Thank you -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201003/1 Access is a relational database. If your "table design" has the fields in your table(s) changing frequently,...

Pivot Table and adding a % column, that is not in original data
Hi, Is it possible to add a column for % calculations when the % column is not in original data? To clarify, my original data is as follows: Produt Sales Returns Date A 5 June B 6 June A 1 July A 1 September B 1 November When I run the pivot table, one of the columns I'm then looking to get is a total % of returns over sales , but I cant see how to include in a Pivot table. I can add it outside of the table, but that has problems ...

Maximum number of bits
I have a requirement to find the maximum number of consecutive zeros in a row in a 32 bit binary number. For example 1111 1111 1111 1000 1111 1111 0000 1111 = 4 1111 1110 1111 1110 1111 1111 1110 1111 = 1 I am actually storing the number in a BIGINT for simplicity. I can do this in a udf with a look fairly easily but was wondering if there is something more sql that will do the job. Cheers, Michael That's an interesting question. Does it include leading zeroes? 0000 0000 0111 1000 1111 1111 0000 1111 = 9? -- Thanks Michael Coles SQL Server MVP ...

can one cell contain more than one independent number
A cell can contain several numbers, separated by space characters or line breaks (Alt+Enter). However, if you want to perform calculations on the numbers, it's best to keep them in separate cells. John K wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html there's also the option a using matrix formula (list of data) for example you may enter ={1;2;3} in a single cell or selection 'and validate wih CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER but the manipulation of this kinda of formula need to read more about it... ...

Customize global adress list column in a new mail
Hi! (I have Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2007). when i create a new mail message, hit the "To" button, my global adress list window appear when column by default: Name, Title, business Phone, Location, E-mail address, Company and Alias. Those column from Active directory of course. My question is: can I add/remove column in this window? For example adding "department" from Active directory? thx Since this is customized by your Exchange Admin, I would start by asking him/her if it is possible. This question can most likely be answered in an Exchange or W...

Prevent negative trendline?
Hi I have a chart that plots the week by week attendances of matches. There are two lines, one for home and one for away. Each has a trend line At the start of a season, when there are only a couple of matches recorded. EG 19000 13000 The graph line for this is obviously showing down at the moment, but the trend line is showing from 19000 on the left to -100,000 on the right. Obviously, for attendance the final trend will balance out, but can NEVER be negative of course - even if the remaining 21 home games had 0 attendance. Apart from fixing the axis so it never shows below 0 - the trend li...

Two lines and pne column
I am trying to modify one of the custom charts to show two line and one column rather than two columns and one line. can anyone help. Ian - Forget the custom type. Make a chart with all three series as lines, select the one series, choose Chart Type from the Chart menu, and select the Column style you want. Voila, your first custom combination chart. There's more about Combination Charts on my web site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech....

finding common numbers in large lists
Hello, I have two large lists of numbers (on two seperate worksheets). By large, I mean that one list is 1000+ numbers, and the second list is 3000+ numbers (each number is in its own cell). The numbers are of the form: xxxx.xxx (that is, they are precise up to three places after the decimal) 1) Is there some quick way that I can find the numbers that are common to both lists? 2) Is there a way I can find the numbers in common to both lists using only the whole number portion (diregarding what comes after the decimal of each number)? Thanks! Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...

creating a multilevel numbering sysem
I'm trying to create a multileve numbering system ex: 100, 100.1, 100.1.1, 100.2, 200, 200.1, 2001.1, 200.2, and so on. I would like to have at least 3-4 tiers under each number that would automatically number. And you want this in Publisher? I don't think so... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "v" <v@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C1F59342-9F2F-4E91-BE27-0BA992EB17BE@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to create a multileve numbering system > ex: 100, 100.1, 100.1.1, ...

extracting numbers from a text field and applying formula
here's my question... i have a cell that has a text field of this type: '9-19' (a-b) I want to create a formula that will subtract 19-9 (b-a) and return the result as a number// can anyone help?! is this even doable? I'd really appreciate it! PS also, i'm very fairly new at excel so a detailed response with th formula would really help! ALe ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try: =MID(A1,FIND("-",A1)+1,99)-LEFT(A1,FIND("...

One column into three
We have a table with about 40 columns and 120 Rows and we need to split each column into 3 columns only for certain rows - I'm guessing that we can't spilt a column only for certain rows as this would mess-up the entire column/row naming convention - so is there a way to automate the spliting of a column into 3 rows (i.e column A becomes A,B & C) and then merging each trio of cells (i.e. A1, B1, & C1) into one cell in the row and retaining the data that was in A1 and moving the data that was in B1 into D1 - for all 120 rows and then repeating the process for each colum...

Imported Numbers not recognized as numbers
Hi there -- I've seen this problem posted a lot before, however haven't yet seen a solution posted that works for my situation. This applies to Office XP... So I copy a column of data (numbers) from a website and paste it int Excel, but the numbers are not recognized as numeric values (can't su them, etc.) I have tried all of the "easy" solutions -- changing their format t general or number, copying a 1 from another cell in a clean workboo and using the paste special/multiply (or a 0 and paste special/add function...I've tried the text to columns thing -- basicall...

Reprsent negative values in excel charts
Hi, Can someone help in how to reprsent the negative values in the chart and which is the best chart to represent it? What type of chart are you making? In a line, column, bar, XY, or area chart, the negative values are merely plotted on the other side of an axis. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "uha" <uha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:166604B5-A331-4EE6-8010-D921C1EEA017@microsoft.com... > Hi, > Can someone help in how to reprsent t...

Auto copy and insert a defined number of rows as defined in a cell
Hi I don't know much about VBA but could probably work something out. I need to produce carton labels from a spreadsheet using Word to mail merge and the labels need to include 1 of 10, 2 of 10 on them. The number of labels required is dependant on a number which is included for each row of data in the spreadsheet. What I am doing at the moment is copying each row and insert pasting the additional number of rows required. In the new rows I then add 1 of 10 in the first row, 2 of 10 in the second row etc. etc. This then enables me to perform the mailmerge. I have around 300...

the greater of 2 numbers
I am working on an excel spreadsheet. I am in cell C20. I want to tell IT to look at C5 and C17, determine the greater of the 2 numbers and enter the greater one in that cell(C20). Can anyone help me with an easy formula? I certainly would appreciate it. in C20 type this formula: =MAX(C5,C17) -- Cutter ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=9848 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=512776 =MAX(C5,C17) -- HTH Bob Phillips (remov...