Need help on LOOKUP function..please

I'm doing revision of my exam and I don't understand about Lookup
function, what's this function for??

When I read the instruction aboout "Lookup" on my revised exam paper, I
don't know what the formula I should type in, can you help me to add
formula on this data.(About Gem company)

Instruction:
_\"In_the_main_table_in_the_cell_under_Cut_Cost,_enter_a_formula_using_Lookup._This_formula_looks_up_the_Cutting_Cost_in_the_Cutting_options_table_using_the_Gem_cut_and_divides_this_value_by_the_Carat.\"_

:eek: Please see the attached file for data details.:confused:

What the formula do I have to put in the cell under Cut Cost?

Thank you.

|Filename: Gem Export company.doc                                   |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4406     |

Beblessed
Beblessed's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32017
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=518089

Hi!

Hard to tell where all this stuff is (in a spreadsheet) but use this as your
guide:

=HLOOKUP(C6,B$2:C$3,2,0)

Biff

"Beblessed" <Beblessed.240seo_1141265406.559@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:Beblessed.240seo_1141265406.559@excelforum-nospam.com...

> I'm doing revision of my exam and I don't understand about Lookup
> function, what's this function for??
>
> When I read the instruction aboout "Lookup" on my revised exam paper, I
> don't know what the formula I should type in, can you help me to add
> formula on this data.(About Gem company)
>
> Instruction:
> _\"In_the_main_table_in_the_cell_under_Cut_Cost,_enter_a_formula_using_Lookup._This_formula_looks_up_the_Cutting_Cost_in_the_Cutting_options_table_using_the_Gem_cut_and_divides_this_value_by_the_Carat.\"_
>
> :eek: Please see the attached file for data details.:confused:
>
> What the formula do I have to put in the cell under Cut Cost?
>
> Thank you.

> |Filename: Gem Export company.doc                                   |
> |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4406     |

> Beblessed
> Beblessed's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32017
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=518089

0
biffinpitt (3172)
3/2/2006 2:44:00 AM
thank you so much Biff for your answer.
But as the instruction "In the main table in the cell under Cut Cost,
enter a formula using Lookup. This formula looks up the Cutting Cost in
the Cutting options table using the Gem cut and
_divides_this_value_by_the_Carat.\"_
, I think we still need to add more on the formula to devides this
value by Carat. What formula should I add after
=HLOOKUP(C6,B$2:C$3,2,0)???

And could you explain what values this formula refer to? what does this
formula means??

Thank you again.

--
Beblessed
Beblessed's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32017
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=518089

Hi!

It would be much easier (for us to understand) if you were to put that
sample in a spreadsheet file instead of a Word.doc file!

Biff

"Beblessed" <Beblessed.242n2m_1141351815.8282@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote
in message news:Beblessed.242n2m_1141351815.8282@excelforum-nospam.com...

> thank you so much Biff for your answer.
> But as the instruction "In the main table in the cell under Cut Cost,
> enter a formula using Lookup. This formula looks up the Cutting Cost in
> the Cutting options table using the Gem cut and
> _divides_this_value_by_the_Carat.\"_
> , I think we still need to add more on the formula to devides this
> value by Carat. What formula should I add after
> =HLOOKUP(C6,B$2:C$3,2,0)???
>
> And could you explain what values this formula refer to? what does this
> formula means??
>
> Thank you again.
>

> --
> Beblessed
> Beblessed's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32017
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=518089

0
biffinpitt (3172)
3/3/2006 3:25:44 AM
Thank you Biff, sorry I can't attach a spreadsheet file to this website.
So I added cell names in this new attached file, hope will make you
easier to understand.
Please check it out.

Thank you very much!!

|Filename: Gem Export company.doc                                   |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4412     |

Beblessed
Beblessed's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32017
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=518089

Pls Help!!
Hello i need to check a row for data and if that data is their i need to the check the next row and if the data isnt their then i need to put th data in that range i know how to add the data using VBA but i dont know how to check tha row for the data and if it does exist i need to goto the next row Hope this helps, Jami -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com for each c in selection if c="mydata" then c="mydata" next c -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "boris2004 >" <<boris2004.12e7s7@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in me...

Do we need to install active sync?
Hi all, We have Exchange 2003 Sp2 frontend and backedn servers. I enabled the mobile function in the global seetings. BTW, do we still need to install active sync in the server ot workstaions? Thanks. In news:CD56A612-B0ED-47F0-9428-0B2584DE3AB4@microsoft.com, Sally <Sally@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hi all, > > We have Exchange 2003 Sp2 frontend and backedn servers. I enabled the > mobile function in the global seetings. BTW, do we still need to > install active sync in the server ot workstaions? > > Thanks. You don't install ActiveSync deskt...

HELP: Handling WM_SHOWWINDOW when window opened SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED
I've verified that the WM_SHOWWINDOW handler OnShowWindow() is not called when ShowWindow is called with SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED. I created a dummy MFC app (doc/view and no doc/view) and reproduced the behavior. So, here is what I have (simplified)... MFC app with no doc/view support. CMyWinApp::InitInstance() { .... pMainFrame->ShowWindow(m_nCmdShow); pMainFrame->UpdateWindow(); .... } CMainFrame::OnShowWindow(...) { // Not called when m_nCmdShow == SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED!! } This seems to be the designed behavior. Does anyone know why? What message can I handle in this case to know when the...

IF statement help #2
Hi What im trying to do is, Calculate a Cell x say 0.5. If the result is a negative number, sho 0. If it is a positive number, work it out and show the answer. Jus tried, and cant seem to get it right for some reason. I dont want t have to use another cell for no reaon, as I need to present th worksheet This is what I tried, IF((E22*0.5)>0), (E22*0.5), Thank -- RudeYut ----------------------------------------------------------------------- RudeYute's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3295 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthr...

Lookup a range of numbers
Hi, I have a table as follows: (Speed) (Dist) 64k 128k 256k 5 1000 1200 1500 10 1600 1700 1800 15 2000 2100 2200 I'd like to have a formula whereby if I key in a Distance of 4 and a speed of 256k, the active cell will show "1500". I tried to use sumproduct but seems like sumproduct can only be used if the Dist is exactly "5", "10", etc. The only alternative I can think of is to list out ALL the integers for Distance. But, is there an easier way? ...

Need to backup Contacts
I am running Outlook 2000 behind Windows ME. I want to make a backup of Contacts but cannot find the location of the file. When I search on *.pab, it returns "not found". I have over 850 entries in Contacts, so I know the file exists somewhere. Any suggestions on where to find or how to back-up? Thanks. Export your contacts folder to a .pst file. The .pab is old and obsolete and has not been used for a number of releases. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all ...

help attaching files
Hi... Using XP Pro and Outlook 2003. For some odd reason, I am unable to attach files when sending emails. Click on the 'paperclip', window opens to the My Doc folder. then when I click on a sub folder to open, nothing happens... finally, a Microsoft Word window opens that it is unable to open.... It is almost as if it is trying to launch Word to open the folder... Help? Thanks! -- B'rgds, Vinnie FWIW, from the Microsoft side a new Knowledge Base Article (KBA) was released on Apr 15th. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165 It lists two known conflicts so far....

Help, urgent, connection to access database
Hi, all I met a problem about access database connection. I have a program reading data from access database through ODBC. When the access database located on local server, and created ODBC linked to local database,the program runs without problem, but if it is a network shared database, and created ODBC linked to the shared database, the program prompts error: "workgroup file is missing". Yes, I used workgroup file in current database and set correct security. So what's the problem? is problem of the ODBC drive? you should not be using ODBC Access stop...

Number to text conversion ......HELP
Dear Friend.. I need help in converting formula calculation ( Number or Currency ) into Text EQ. Result = 2,500.00 converting to .....two thousand five hundred.. Thanks Check http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0001.htm at "The Access Web" -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Eko Hery" <eko@megaenterprise.com> wrote in message news:BCD8B0CE.1D8%eko@megaenterprise.com... > Dear Friend.. > I need help in converting formula calculation ( Number or Currency ) into > Text > > EQ. Result = 2,500.00 con...

AOL to Outlook 2003, transfer contacts and favorites, help?
Moving from 7 years of AOL service to a new ISP and using Outlook 2003 now. How do I avoid having to copy/paste hundreds of contacts one at a time from my AOL address book to Outlook. Also have lots of 'favorites' on AOL I would like to keep... Jakfrost "Jakfrost" <Jakfrost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:924061C2-70C6-45DE-BA7D-9533902A9783@microsoft.com... > Moving from 7 years of AOL service to a new ISP and using Outlook 2003 > now. > How do I avoid having to copy/paste hundreds of contacts one at a time > from > my AOL addres...

Frequency function
I was wondering if anyone could be of assistance with the frequency function in excel. I am trying to reduce data so that i can find out the number of times a particular results occurs. Every time i use the frequency function it either repeats the previous cell or returns the culumative frequency, can anyone help please? Hi! Countif or Sumproduct are less complicated! You need to provide some details. Biff "Pritesh" <Pritesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E04CA99D-F8BE-4BEF-9384-EF72B8930993@microsoft.com... >I was wondering if anyone could be of ...

referring cell in macro function
If a create a macro intended to be used as a function in a worksheet is there a property of the referring cell? I want to know what cell the formula is in. Dim callCell As String callCell = Application.Caller.Address Returns the cell address of the cell where the UDF is used. "zxcv" <zxcvnosend@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:aef3cafd-4c52-40a6-8348-ebf957b3abad@a21g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > If a create a macro intended to be used as a function in a worksheet > is there a property of the referring cell? > > I want to know what cell the form...

Argent Help
Hello All Can Any One Tell Me How Can I Get The Number Of Visible Sections In A Report To Use As The Upper Bound Of A Loop Of Sections Because With A Worng Number Of Sections An Error Occured So If There Is Any Way (Using API,...) Any Way Please Tell Me Thanks And Happy New Year For All Rabea Khalil "Developer" <shamijewelerjo@yahoo.com> wrote > Hello All > Can Any One Tell Me How Can I Get The Number Of Visible Sections In A > Report > To Use As The Upper Bound Of A Loop Of Sections Because With A Worng > Number Of Sections An Error Occured > > S...

lookup array
Sheet 1 below: A13 is a lookup from Sheet 2. I want the cell B13 to take this value and lookup the column 1 and enter the value into B:13. =LOOKUP(A13,A2:B11) but get this #N/A? What am I doing wrong? PRESS SIZE Rate $ K68 250 K813 300 K1014 400 K1214 500 K13517 550 K13518 600 E1395/870 300 E1420/1020 400 E1650/1380 550 E1900/1450 550 K1214 #N/A Hi Order ascending the Press size column and try again hth regards from Brazil Marcelo "HFC-SC&q...

Investors Needed!!! #5
INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY! Fork It Over! a Ground Floor Unique Dimension & Concept In the Children's Entertainment Market... For More information http://www.kidseyeview.us ...

Another CPropertySheet help...
I am using the Wizard mode and I can remove the buttons, but I also want to remove the 3D line control that appears above the buttons. What is the control ID? Thanks!... ...

Excel and "AutoRun.inf" -- help
Greetings list: I want to burn an Excel workbook to a CD. When the CD is inserted into a computer, I would like it to automatically start up Excel and OPEN my workbook. I've tried some "helper" applications for getting the autorun.inf file to open Excel [and my workbook] when the CD is inserted into the comptuter. It's not working! Can anyone help? Penny I think you might have more success in a site that deals wit Powerpoint -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

HOW TO EXTRACT (or lookup) DATA FROM A PIVOT TABLE
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C7032B.0406A590 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello! Sheet 1 contains the raw data. Sales and cost of sales for customers.=20 Sheet 2 contains the pivot table that summarizes the data in sheet 1.=20 In Sheet 3(a further summary of the Pivot Table), I would like to put in = the customer name and extract the related sales and cost of sales = numbers from the pivot table. How can I extract the desired information? Regards SJ ------=_NextPart_000_000...

help with combo box
Hi, I have two columns in an excel sheet named as "Area" and "Territory". I want to make two combo boxes, one for area and other for territory such that if I choose a particular area, the entries in the territory combo box should change accordingly. Area Territory 1 aa 1 bb 2 cc 2 dd 3 xx 3 ee 4 gg so, if i choose "2" in area combo box, the territory combo box should show "cc" and "dd". please h...

Need to expand past column IV
Hi, Were using Excel 2003 and ran into the end of colums at IV. Besides upgrading to Office 2007 is there way to extend or add-in more columns. Thanks, BobV Bob, No, but using all 256 columns is often a sign that you should use database data style entry - instead of having a column for each of the ?days(?) enter the column property as a field, with each entry in a separate row. Beyond that, it is hard to be more specific since your question is vague. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Vinecom" <vinecom@nospam.net> wrote in message news:8CBC158A-0AE4-46D6-9EB3-4CCDA375CCA9@mi...

Help! Excel keeps freezing
I'm having a little problem with an Excel workbook that I created for conference registrations. The workbook consists of 2 sheets. The 1st sheet has Session Codes, Names, Dates, Times, Costs and Enrollment. The 2nd sheet has Registrant's information which I group, filter and copy & paste to a Word doc so each attendee has a Class Schedule. I rechecked functions, syntax etc. and everything seems okay. I group the info and filter the sheet so only one attendee's name, date, day, times and class name are shown. That works okay and I copy and paste it to a Word doc temp...

Help 10-23-07
I have a database. 2 columns. I have one work sheet that needs to findest the highest dollar amount during a period of time. Example 10/1/2007 Company a 5 company b 10 10/2/2007 company b 12 company c 4 company a 1 10/3/2007 company a 15 company b 12 company c 3 So the worksheet would first need to look for all the ones that have company A and then look for the highest number. So in this case it would have happened on 10/3/2007 (15). I would think this would involve a vlookup, but can't figure how to write it. Could someone lend some insight. Anything will help Thanks ...

help! Error: The XML element is already in the current scope...
"The XML element 'EnableTheming' from namespace 'http://tempuri.org/' is already present in the current scope" I created a Web Service: I imported System.Data.SqlClient so I could access SQL server tables programmatically. The web service builds and deploys with no problems. When I try to add the corresponding Web Reference to the Web Site project I get the error listed below. I am able to create other Web Services on the same server and I am able to add Web Referneces to them. I have narrowed it down to the "Imports System.Data.SqlClient" statement, I thi...

CPropertySheet Help button fails to launch chm file.
I have a application built around a CPropertySheet derived class. The help button is looking for 'app.hlp' file (this is the default MFC stuff, I've not added anything other than moving the button). How do I get it to look for a 'app.chm' file instead? I've tried the following using a test help file. Iin the CWinApp derived constructor: EnableHtmlHelp(); and this in InitInstance(): //First free the string allocated by MFC at CWinApp startup. //The string is allocated before InitInstance is called. free((void*)m_pszHelpFilePath); //Change the name of the .HLP file...

Need to filter more than one date
Excel 2003/XP I have an Excel sheet that has numerous rows and columns that I want to filter by 3 dates. I can use AutoFilter and filter one date but the others won't show up. I don't want to show the entire worksheet. Please advise. Thank you. Hi this can be achived using advanced filtering - check out http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html for details -- Cheers JulieD check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm ....well i'm working on it anyway "HT" <asfafd@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23NMctcOSFHA.3144@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > E...