Names of workbooks - want relative, with no Full Path

One thing that drives me crazy is that I want to work on files at
home, but when I bring them from the office to home and work on them,
when I get back to the office, the full path names of the sheets I've
worked on are saved.

For example, if I have a workbook Houston.xls, and I refer to cells in
the another file called Scorecard.xls, all references are to the full
paths, and I have to spend time deleting all the full pathnames that
were valid at home to the full path at work (on a server naturally, so
the path names are really long.

This is in Excel '97 (ancient I know, but the company I work for won't
upgrade since our foreign offices won't upgrade due to the cost).

I'm not talking about hyperlinks, just cell references.

Thanks for any insight - this is a big timewaster :)

George
0
Gdareos

I'm not sure if this is the problem, but check this.

Tools -> Options -> General -> Web Options -> Files -> Deselect update links
on save.
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"Gdareos" wrote:

> One thing that drives me crazy is that I want to work on files at
> home, but when I bring them from the office to home and work on them,
> when I get back to the office, the full path names of the sheets I've
> worked on are saved.
>
> For example, if I have a workbook Houston.xls, and I refer to cells in
> the another file called Scorecard.xls, all references are to the full
> paths, and I have to spend time deleting all the full pathnames that
> were valid at home to the full path at work (on a server naturally, so
> the path names are really long.
>
> This is in Excel '97 (ancient I know, but the company I work for won't
> upgrade since our foreign offices won't upgrade due to the cost).
>
> I'm not talking about hyperlinks, just cell references.
>
> Thanks for any insight - this is a big timewaster :)
>
> George

Multiple name appearances
Have a list of 1000 names trying to sort by appearances >5. Not sure if Lookup or Hlookup? Pat318 wrote: > Have a list of 1000 names trying to sort by appearances >5. > Not sure if Lookup or Hlookup? If your list is in A1:A1000, put this in B1:B1000 and sort by column B: =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$1000,A1) ...

How to force special layout of File-as, Full Name and Company
When I enter a new business contact, "Johnny Rockets" for example, I want the Full Name, Company and File As to all show "Johnny Rockets" and not "Rockets, Johnny." Is there a way to cause that to happen without having to go back and adjust the items? Outlook 2007. vista. You can control it for new contacts - Tools, Options, Contact Options to set the file as format and the default name order. See http://www.slipstick.com/Tutorials/contacts/contacts.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook &...

Range Names
I need to figure out how to automatically assign dynamic range names to each "Saturday to Friday" in a list of monthly day numbers and associated day names for an entire year. A B 1 Sat 2 Sun 3 Mon 4 Tue 5........etc. I don't know where to start. Thanks, Wes Hi Wes, Depending on what you wish to do, XL's built in WeekNum function may assist. --- Regards, Norman "Wes" <additude@texstapes.com> wrote in message news:uV1CDQweFHA.3836@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >I need to figure out how to automatically assign dynamic range name...

Display full email address in addition to Nickname
People I don't know send me emails using their nickname "John", etc. I'd like to have be able to see their full email address displayed in my INBOX instead of just their nickname, so I know which emails to delete without opening or having to press options and the email address of the sender. If I add the column "email" nothing happens. Is there a way to do this? ...

how do I recover charts within an excel workbook?
The workbook had many charts that were previously visible. Now, upon opening the file, the charts are no longer visible. How to I reactivate them to appear? thanks ...

Name change due to marriage...
I have a user who recently got married and would like to have her new married name for her emails, but also wants external users to be able to send emails to her old address until she has adequate time to inform everyone. Her new email would be something like lastname-newname, firstname instead of lastname, firstname. Should I create a new account with her new name and forward all her emails from the old account to the new one and can I copy her current pst into the new one? THanks for everyone's help. No. Just highlight her account in ADUC, and choose re-name. Make the neede...

LINQ related query
Hi I have a question regarding joining xml files on a key which is present in all file, following is my code docFTR is of type XDocument xdList is List(Of XDocument) Dim doc = From x In docFTR.Descendants("Data") From i In xdList.GetRange(0, 1) Join d In xdList(0).Descendants("Data") On x.Descendants("Guid").Value Equals d.Descendants("Guid").Value i need to programmatically replace xdList(0) with the current XDcoument which comes from "From i in xdList.getRange(0,2)" GetRange(0, could be 2 to 10) Any help is welcome...

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe In Windows 2008 Server R2
I am not certain why I keep getting this exception message. In fact I get a pop up most each time I try to access or connect using IE. Did a bit of searching, and have not found a good fix for this yet. I am running a Windows Server 2008 64bit machine. I tried blaming it on IE add-ons, but now I am running in NO-ADDON mode with no add-ons but the problem persists.I would appreciate it if someone helped with with a fix for this on my server. ERRORS TYPES SO FAR ============================================= Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7600.16385, tim...

Excel slow to open workbook when I double-click in Windows
Hi, I am using Excel 2007 on a brand new PC (Intel Core 2 Duo; 2.53 GHz; 3.21 GB RAM; Windows XP Pro). I have installed and started using several applications already and this PC has been very fast and responsive. I am having an issue opening workbooks in Excel. If I open Excel first and then click on the Office button and choos Open, I can open up a workbook very quickly. However, when I double-click on a workbook in Windows (without having Excel open previously), it takes a *very* long time for the workbook to open. I just timed it at exactly one minute. I was wondering if anyone...

Link to external workbook
I want to change a formula linking to a cell in a workbook on another server so that the server name is used rather than the drive mapping. I have tried the following but I keep getting 'File Not Found': '\\Server Name:\Drive Name\...... (instead of 'G:\..... Please advise. -- R Ormerod \\Server Name:\Drive Name\ Doesn't look like a valid format... I think I'd use windows start button|run type in \\servername and point and click down the paths to find the correct workbook. If you turn "View|toolbars|address bar", then you may be able to see the path...

.OST full (2 GB) during POP collection = all new mail lost?
The subject says it all... Outlook 2003 in Cached Exchange Mode (non-Unicode, i.e. inheriting old 2 GB limit) on Windows XP. Was working offline, collecting two days of POP3 mail, and at the end of the collection I got the error message saying that the .ost file had reached the size limit... Very stupidly, Outlook 2003 (!!!) _deleted_ all mail from the POP3 server before making sure that the same had been stored properly, so it appears to be all lost now? Just out of curiosity, where did Outlook write this data as it was being collected? Was it being appended to the .ost file? I tried ...

Adding User Name to footer
I have spreadsheets that go out to a number of users, and they make various changes and print out for themselves. The problems is that no-one knows which version to pick up from a central printer. Can I add the user name to the footer. I also have the path and file in the same area. I would like to end up with : User Name printed 'path/file' on 'date' ...

Excel 2003 - VBA
With code in Module 6, I created a button on a sheet as follows: ActiveSheet.Buttons.Add(1245, 16, 80, 16).Select Selection.Caption = "AutoFocus On" Selection.Name = "AutoFocusBut" Selection.OnAction = "FocusOn" Focus = True I placed the sub "FocusOn" also in Module 6. Public Sub FocusOn() If Focus = True Then .... .... When the button is depressed I get the message: "Ambigous name detected: FocusOn". What am I missing. Craig My bet is you have two 'things' named FocusOn. Two subs or a sub and a variable...

Name range within a name range
In Excel is it possible to create a name range that contains multiple name ranges. As an example, I have created several name ranges with one cell reference, such as Sales(A2), COS(A5), ADM(A7), SELLING(A8), MRKT(A9). I would like to create a name range that I could include the all the name ranges and call it GROSS_PROFIT. If later I add another range I would like to be able to just add the range name to GROSS_PROFIT, such as R&D. Also the reason I chose to use named ranges is my cell references can change from month to month, I find it easier to create formulas using name refer...

Obtain Sub-Folder Names with VBA?
Is it possible to obtain the names of all Sub-Folders for a specific parent Folder? Just 2 levels (1 Parent Folder) and several children folders. We need the names of the sub-folders, not the names of the files in the sub-folders. Thanks for your help. Brad Lookup the Dir Function in the help file, specifically at the example it illustrates exactly how to get a directory listing. You'll see it isn't hard! -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault http://www.cardaconsultants.com/ For Access Tips and Examples: http://www.devhut.net Please rate this post using the...

Named Properties Error (Event ID: 9667)
Having problems with good old Event 9667. Thats the problem where Exchange 2003 stop accepting some emails when it hits the 16k soft limit on Named Properties. I've seen the KB article regarding adjusting the size of the named properties cache (if i can call it a cache) up to 32k but, as others have pointed out, that just delays the problem. I would like to know if anyone knows of any good ways to filter headers such that they are reduced to just the standard headers necessary for email delivery? Thanks, K ...

user name and password not being retained in WindowsMail
I have Vista 32bit sp2, IE8 and WindowsMail. I had this problem on my XP/Outlook Express machine and found an answer, but can't find one for WindowsMail. Please note that I have had this set-up for several months and never incurred this problem. Even earlier today everything was working fine. It looks as if I can send messages, but when I click on send/receive button to receive messages I get a screen asking for my username and password. I have it set to remember in 'tools' 'accounts', but it isn't remembering it. Does anyone have a suggestion on how...

Moving Exchange DB's to a new server (different name)
In a DR test, we moved SG's to a new server, different server name, same SG and MS name. MS mounts, can not connect to mailbox. Delete mailbox, create a new one, we can then connect. Delete this mailbox, reconnect to the original, and now we can connect. How can we accomplish this in bulk? In other words, after doing a system state restore of AD, then a system state of Exchange, restored MS file, mounted, etc. We were unable to connect to these mailboxes. I am assuming this is related to GUID's. Any thoughts? Users in AD specify a server by name. When you say that you move mailbo...

EFT Error Relating to Address ID
We've recently started getting EFT errors. Anytime I try to post a regular cash receipt for an EFT customer I get the following error message "An error has occured with the EFT checkbook setup information." After clicking okay about 8 times I get: "All call stacks are in use. Cannot start script." After which GP shuts down. The bookeeper has had to change the Address ID's from MAIN to PRIMARY in order to doc the cash receipt and then change them back in order to process the customers' EFT payments. Has anyone seen an error like this before? Thanks, Geo...

e2k3 sp2: Unknown user name or bad password error
We have an exchange cluster with two nodes that runs exchange 2003 SP2 on windows 2003 Sp1 ent. For security reasons recently I had to change the password for the account under which I installed exchange - the account is exchservice. Since then I get few of the following messages in the security log on the server - any idea how can I stop this? Event Type: Failure Audit Event Source: Security Event Category: Logon/Logoff Event ID: 529 Date: 09/10/2006 Time: 10:30:00 User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: EMILYA Description: Logon Failure: Reason: Unknown user name or bad password Us...

#NAME and INDIRECT.EXT (broken?)
Cell looks like this =INDIRECT.EXT("'K:\CP\["&A4&".xls]Exam1'!$E$8") Cell A4 contains the string "test" and there is a file named "test.xls" When I completed the sheet this all worked. When I closed it and opened it again all I get are #NAME? errors. If I go into each cell (and there are hundreds of them) and "pretend" to edit the cell with the INDIRECT.EXT reference, then it works for that cell. What have I done wrong? Hi INDIRECT doesn't work with closed source file. When you open at same time the workbook which is...

is it possible to convert excel workbook into a standalone applic.
my business uses a spreadsheet for all its pricing would it be possible for us to convert this to a standalone product or import it as part of a complete business package in access ...

someone else's name
When I send an e-mail from outlook someone elses's name appears first and then mine in parenthesis. How do I fix this? Does that name show up in one of the accounts here: Tools menu > Email accounts "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA46BA18-922E-49F7-9EC6-3E4C54325D4C@microsoft.com... > When I send an e-mail from outlook someone elses's name appears first and > then mine in parenthesis. How do I fix this? ...

Error : The recipient name is not recognized
Hi, I am using Exchange 5.5 in our Org. lately i encounter the problem that some mail we cannot deliver to recipent, however when we use hotmail it can, can someone here help me, thanks. Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: testing Sent: 26/8/2004 8:58 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'ami@xxxxx.com' on 26/8/2004 1:17 PM The recipient name is not recognized The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=xxxxx;l=xxxxxxxxxxx ...

Last Name Between...And Statements
Hopefully someone can help me with this. I'm trying to create an Access database that will pull a list of people based on the first two letters of their last name. Since this list will vary, depending on the user of the database, I want to use dialogue boxes so that a person can put in their own parameters for the list. For example, say my list is Dn-Km. A dialogue box will pop up, asking for the beginning of the alpha range. Then, once the person clicks on the OK button, a second dialogue box will pop up, asking for the end of the alpha range. So far, I've figured out that you can...