moving text from a word document to excel

I'm moving a large amount of text from word documents to an excel
spreedsheet, and I have a few questions:

1.  When I copy/paste text from the document to the spreedsheet, the text
will sometimes expand the cell very large. How can I keep all the cells the
same size?

2.  When I click on a cell that has text in it to read it, sometimes it will
only show the text in a long downwards column, whereas other times it shows
it as a big 'blurb' to the right side (which makes it easier to read). How
can I set it up so it is not in a long column?

3.  How can I insert cells without having to go to 'insert' and then 'cells'
each time?

4.  On the document, certain parts of the text are bold. When I copy/paste
them to excel, the bold disappears and becomes regular. How can I keep the
parts of text bold?

5.  On the document, there are parts that have a line of text, a space, an
then more text. When I try and copy it over to the spreedsheet, it does not
all stay in a single cell (it shows it over to a few cells). How can I keep
it all in one cell?

Thanks!

0
gregp22 (9)

"gregp22" wrote:

> I'm moving a large amount of text from word documents to an excel
> spreedsheet, and I have a few questions:
>
> 1.  When I copy/paste text from the document to the spreedsheet, the text
> will sometimes expand the cell very large. How can I keep all the cells the
> same size? Make autofit the column size or press Alt-Enter to terminate the text to the next line
>
> 2.  When I click on a cell that has text in it to read it, sometimes it will
> only show the text in a long downwards column, whereas other times it shows
> it as a big 'blurb' to the right side (which makes it easier to read). How
> can I set it up so it is not in a long column?Try Press Alt-Enter let the text to be on the next line.
>
> 3.  How can I insert cells without having to go to 'insert' and then 'cells'
> each time? Try Press Alt-I-R Insert Row.
>
> 4.  On the document, certain parts of the text are bold. When I copy/paste
> them to excel, the bold disappears and becomes regular. How can I keep the
> parts of text bold?Try to paste it with formatting if it works? otherwise you just place it an unformatted text paste and reformat manually.
>
> 5.  On the document, there are parts that have a line of text, a space, an
> then more text. When I try and copy it over to the spreedsheet, it does not
> all stay in a single cell (it shows it over to a few cells). How can I keep
> it all in one cell? Best thing is copy it first in notepad then through notepad paste
it to excel then everything will be in single cell. Hope this helps.

> Thanks!

0
MelArquiza (23)
3/20/2006 2:55:02 PM
You might find it easier to have the Word text in a table (even if it'
a table with just one column). Don't forget that Excel has a limit t
the number of characters that can be in one cell whereas I don't thin
Word has.
1. Try Edit/Paste Special/Text. If not, select all the columns afte
the paste, and make them the appropriate width (in one action).
2. As point 1.
3. Use Ctrl +. If you select a column or row, that's what it'll insert
If you select just one cell, it'll give you a choice of what to do.
4. I can't replicate this; the bold comes over fine. Note tha
Edit/Paste Special will remove formatting.
5. By having the original text in Word in a table, this may be fixe
when you copy over.
Cliv

--
Clivey_U
Clivey_UK's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3256

Excel 2007

data input in text box

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Excel not Access

move cell contents

help with simple maths in excel

Opening Excel Workbooks

Grammar check not working

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Calculating age in a label or text box on a form
Hello All, I have a text box for birthdate for a user to enter the birthdate and I want to the age for the user to be automatically calcuated and displayed in another label called "Age." What formula can I use? Missy ...

Excel DNS query

Moving Contacts to Outlook Address Book

Excel Problem

why are links to websites (inserted in publisher documents) disab.
why are links to websites and e-mailadresses (inserted in publisher documents) still working in emailpreview but disabled in webpage preview? ...

Displaying colour codes in Word 2007
I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest. There seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of people MAD. When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word 2007, the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version. Apparantly, this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of people who've never seen a computer. If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document or an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then it is far from obv...

How can I set an alarm Excel?
I would like to set an audible alarm in Excel based on a cell value. Try this in the worksheet VBA editor. If the value of A5 is greater than 50 you get a beep. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim frequency As Long Dim duration As Long If Target <> Range("A5") Then Exit Sub If Target.Value > 50 Then frequency = 4160 duration = 1500 Call Beep(frequency, duration) End If End Sub HTH Regards, Howard "Annell" <Annell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFE8AA18-3F14-4A92-941D-053922417AB2@mic...