Moving data from one excel file to another

I would like to move data from excel file to another. I would like for the
existing data with column names to automatically fill into the second file
with the same column names but in different column locations. I know I can
cut and paste...but can I just match fields like when I work with databases??
Is this possible? Thanks, H
0
audif (3)

Yes, easier to follow along once and see how it's done:

Open both workbooks involved.  Lets say that you want the contents from
Book1 on Sheet1 in cell A1 on a sheet in Book2 at H1.

In Book2 go to the sheet and cell H1 and type in an = symbol
Select Book1 and go to Sheet1 and then click cell A1 and press the [Enter]
key.

If you look at H1 in Book2, the formula will look like this:
=[Book1]Sheet1!$A$1
You could have typed that all in by hand if you wanted to, but the method
just given is 'safe' and guarantees that the formula is written properly -
important for early use.

Now you could 'fill' this formula on down column H in Book2 to (try) to copy
all of the things in column A over in Book1.  Won't quite work yet - you need
to change the address of the cell from absolute (with the $ symbols), to
relative (without one or both of them).  Removing the $ from in front of the
A (A$1) will permit the column to adjust if you fill to the right in Book2,
removing the $ from in front of the 1 ($A1) will let the row number increase
as you fill the formula down the sheet in Book2.  If you remove them both
(A1), then you can fill both to the right and down the sheet in Book2 and
retrieve all of the results over in Book2.

Hope this helps.

"audif" wrote:

> I would like to move data from excel file to another. I would like for the
> existing data with column names to automatically fill into the second file
> with the same column names but in different column locations. I know I can
> cut and paste...but can I just match fields like when I work with databases??
> Is this possible? Thanks, H
Works out great...thanks for the assist!

"JLatham" wrote:

> Yes, easier to follow along once and see how it's done:
>
> Open both workbooks involved.  Lets say that you want the contents from
> Book1 on Sheet1 in cell A1 on a sheet in Book2 at H1.
>
> In Book2 go to the sheet and cell H1 and type in an = symbol
> Select Book1 and go to Sheet1 and then click cell A1 and press the [Enter]
> key.
>
> If you look at H1 in Book2, the formula will look like this:
> =[Book1]Sheet1!$A$1
> You could have typed that all in by hand if you wanted to, but the method
> just given is 'safe' and guarantees that the formula is written properly -
> important for early use.
>
> Now you could 'fill' this formula on down column H in Book2 to (try) to copy
> all of the things in column A over in Book1.  Won't quite work yet - you need
> to change the address of the cell from absolute (with the $ symbols), to
> relative (without one or both of them).  Removing the $ from in front of the
> A (A$1) will permit the column to adjust if you fill to the right in Book2,
> removing the $ from in front of the 1 ($A1) will let the row number increase
> as you fill the formula down the sheet in Book2.  If you remove them both
> (A1), then you can fill both to the right and down the sheet in Book2 and
> retrieve all of the results over in Book2.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> "audif" wrote:
>
> > I would like to move data from excel file to another. I would like for the
> > existing data with column names to automatically fill into the second file
> > with the same column names but in different column locations. I know I can
> > cut and paste...but can I just match fields like when I work with databases??
> > Is this possible? Thanks, H
0
audif (3)
6/5/2007 12:22:03 PM

"JLatham" wrote:

> Yes, easier to follow along once and see how it's done:
>
> Open both workbooks involved.  Lets say that you want the contents from
> Book1 on Sheet1 in cell A1 on a sheet in Book2 at H1.
>
> In Book2 go to the sheet and cell H1 and type in an = symbol
> Select Book1 and go to Sheet1 and then click cell A1 and press the [Enter]
> key.
>
> If you look at H1 in Book2, the formula will look like this:
> =[Book1]Sheet1!$A$1
> You could have typed that all in by hand if you wanted to, but the method
> just given is 'safe' and guarantees that the formula is written properly -
> important for early use.
>
> Now you could 'fill' this formula on down column H in Book2 to (try) to copy
> all of the things in column A over in Book1.  Won't quite work yet - you need
> to change the address of the cell from absolute (with the $ symbols), to
> relative (without one or both of them).  Removing the $ from in front of the
> A (A$1) will permit the column to adjust if you fill to the right in Book2,
> removing the $ from in front of the 1 ($A1) will let the row number increase
> as you fill the formula down the sheet in Book2.  If you remove them both
> (A1), then you can fill both to the right and down the sheet in Book2 and
> retrieve all of the results over in Book2.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> "audif" wrote:
>
> > I would like to move data from excel file to another. I would like for the
> > existing data with column names to automatically fill into the second file
> > with the same column names but in different column locations. I know I can
> > cut and paste...but can I just match fields like when I work with databases??
> > Is this possible? Thanks, H
0
audif (3)
6/5/2007 12:23:02 PM
You're welcome.  Generally this is called 'linking' between two workbooks.
The info in the 2nd workbook will always reflect the content of the original
as long as the original is available to update thru the links.

"audif" wrote:

> Works out great, thanks for the assist!
>
> "JLatham" wrote:
>
> > Yes, easier to follow along once and see how it's done:
> >
> > Open both workbooks involved.  Lets say that you want the contents from
> > Book1 on Sheet1 in cell A1 on a sheet in Book2 at H1.
> >
> > In Book2 go to the sheet and cell H1 and type in an = symbol
> > Select Book1 and go to Sheet1 and then click cell A1 and press the [Enter]
> > key.
> >
> > If you look at H1 in Book2, the formula will look like this:
> > =[Book1]Sheet1!$A$1
> > You could have typed that all in by hand if you wanted to, but the method
> > just given is 'safe' and guarantees that the formula is written properly -
> > important for early use.
> >
> > Now you could 'fill' this formula on down column H in Book2 to (try) to copy
> > all of the things in column A over in Book1.  Won't quite work yet - you need
> > to change the address of the cell from absolute (with the $ symbols), to
> > relative (without one or both of them).  Removing the $ from in front of the
> > A (A$1) will permit the column to adjust if you fill to the right in Book2,
> > removing the $ from in front of the 1 ($A1) will let the row number increase
> > as you fill the formula down the sheet in Book2.  If you remove them both
> > (A1), then you can fill both to the right and down the sheet in Book2 and
> > retrieve all of the results over in Book2.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > "audif" wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to move data from excel file to another. I would like for the
> > > existing data with column names to automatically fill into the second file
> > > with the same column names but in different column locations. I know I can
> > > cut and paste...but can I just match fields like when I work with databases??
> > > Is this possible? Thanks, H

Need some advanced help on this one!
Hi guys, I found a sample Access program that takes data from its database to generate an EDI EDIFACT ORDERS file (OrdersS93a.edi). Here is the code: Private Sub Command0_Click() Dim oEdiDoc As Fredi.ediDocument Dim oSchema As Fredi.ediSchema Dim oInterchange As Fredi.ediInterchange Dim oGroup As Fredi.ediGroup Dim oTransactionset As Fredi.ediTransactionSet Dim oSegment As Fredi.ediDataSegment Dim oConn As ADODB.Connection Dim oRsInterchange As ADODB.Recordset Dim oRsGroup As ADODB.Recordset Dim oRsTransactionSet As ADODB.Reco...

File size #11

find action on log file

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel