Merging Workbook Table data Based upon Value comparisons

I have two workbook tables (Two different workbooks) with two matching column
names.  What I wish to do is to merge values from one table to another, but
ONLY for those records inwhich these two columns have matching values.  Would
this be possible?

Jay
0
jayceejay (27)

Are you saying you have two workbooks, or are the tables within one
workbook?

"jayceejay" <jayceejay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two workbook tables (Two different workbooks) with two matching
>column
> names.  What I wish to do is to merge values from one table to another,
> but
> ONLY for those records inwhich these two columns have matching values.
> Would
> this be possible?
>
> Jay

0
reply6075 (299)
1/7/2006 11:55:09 PM
They are in separate workbooks.

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

> Are you saying you have two workbooks, or are the tables within one
> workbook?
>
> "jayceejay" <jayceejay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have two workbook tables (Two different workbooks) with two matching
> >column
> > names.  What I wish to do is to merge values from one table to another,
> > but
> > ONLY for those records inwhich these two columns have matching values.
> > Would
> > this be possible?
> >
> > Jay

0
jayceejay (27)
1/8/2006 12:09:03 AM
I never did get much of an answer.  Is there no one who could shed some light
on this?

Pretty please?

"jayceejay" wrote:

> They are in separate workbooks.
>
> "Barb Reinhardt" wrote:
>
> > Are you saying you have two workbooks, or are the tables within one
> > workbook?
> >
> > "jayceejay" <jayceejay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have two workbook tables (Two different workbooks) with two matching
> > >column
> > > names.  What I wish to do is to merge values from one table to another,
> > > but
> > > ONLY for those records inwhich these two columns have matching values.
> > > Would
> > > this be possible?
> > >
> > > Jay

0
jayceejay (27)
1/8/2006 8:49:02 PM
If this example describes your situation....

You have 2 workbooks: Book1 and Book2.
Each workbook contains a sheet, ListSheet, with a list of names.
You want to create a 3rd list which only contains the names common to boths
lists that are in Book1 and Book2.

-------------------------------
Then, you could try this:

Assumptions:
1)Each list has a heading, I'll assume "Names"
2)Each list starts in Cell A1 of the ListSheet
3)Each list has 10 names

The method:
For each list in Book1 and Book2,
B1: Num
B2:B11 (Enter a zero in of those cells)

Select A1:B11
Insert>Name>Define
Names in Workbook: NameList
Refers to: (already selected)
Click the [OK] button
Save each workbook

Next:
Open a new workbook
Select cell A1 on any sheet
Data>Consolidate
Function: Count
Use Labels in:
-->Check: Top Row
-->Check: Left Column
Browse to Book1.xls.
Reference : (will display the path to the workbook...Append NameList to that
path)
Click the [Add] button
Repeat for Book2.xls
Uncheck: Create Links to source data
Click the [OK] button

Excel will create a list of all names used in either list along with the
count of those names.
Names with a count of 2 are in both lists.

Something you could use?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"jayceejay" wrote:

> I never did get much of an answer.  Is there no one who could shed some light
> on this?
>
> Pretty please?
>
> "jayceejay" wrote:
>
> > They are in separate workbooks.
> >
> > "Barb Reinhardt" wrote:
> >
> > > Are you saying you have two workbooks, or are the tables within one
> > > workbook?
> > >
> > > "jayceejay" <jayceejay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ron:

Thank you so much for your efforts.  This isn't PRECISELY what I had in mind
but it is close enough for me to fashion a solution.  I APPRECIATE what you
have done for me!

Jay

0
jayceejay (27)