macro #2

I am pretty new to using (or attempting to use) a Macro in a workbook. I am
having trouble following how and what to do to even start the process; ie If
there needs to be a worksheet already in progress or can I start from a new
sheet.
THEN where to go from there.
Can I have some help in this area?  Can some one supply me with a sample
MACRO?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dan
0
dkight (11)

The best way to get started with macros is to use the Macro
Recorder. Go to the Tools menu, choose Macros, then Record New
Macro. Then, carry out some simple tasks and examine the code
that is produced.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"d_kight" <dkight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am pretty new to using (or attempting to use) a Macro in a
>workbook. I am
> having trouble following how and what to do to even start the
> process; ie If
> there needs to be a worksheet already in progress or can I
> start from a new
> sheet.
> THEN where to go from there.
> Can I have some help in this area?  Can some one supply me with
> a sample
> MACRO?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> Dan

0
chip1 (1821)
6/27/2006 3:20:51 PM
Check out these sites as a good place to start.........
www.cpearson.com
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/index.html#usingvba
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"d_kight" wrote:

> I am pretty new to using (or attempting to use) a Macro in a workbook. I am
> having trouble following how and what to do to even start the process; ie If
> there needs to be a worksheet already in progress or can I start from a new
> sheet.
> THEN where to go from there.
> Can I have some help in this area?  Can some one supply me with a sample
> MACRO?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> Dan
0
CLR (807)
6/27/2006 3:21:02 PM
Wow, Thanks you guys!The sites and the recorder information seem like they
will do the trick for me learning to use macros.  I will give tha ta go.

Dan

"CLR" wrote:

> Check out these sites as a good place to start.........
> www.cpearson.com
> http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/index.html#usingvba
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
>
> hth
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3
>

> "d_kight" wrote:
>
> > I am pretty new to using (or attempting to use) a Macro in a workbook. I am
> > having trouble following how and what to do to even start the process; ie If
> > there needs to be a worksheet already in progress or can I start from a new
> > sheet.
> > THEN where to go from there.
> > Can I have some help in this area?  Can some one supply me with a sample
> > MACRO?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated
> >
> > Dan
0
dkight (11)
6/27/2006 3:59:02 PM
OK How about this error:
I have tried an example of using a macro to find the area of rectangle. I
made a function called area and here is the syntax I used in the Module:
Function Area(Length as Double, Width as Double)
     Area = Length * Width
End Function

Then when I go to a worksheet, and place 17 in cell A1 and 10 in cell B1 and
in C1 type in =Area(A1,B1)  I expect to get 170, but I get 0

Am I missing something??
Please help.
Dan

"CLR" wrote:

> Check out these sites as a good place to start.........
> www.cpearson.com
> http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/index.html#usingvba
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
>
> hth
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3
>

> "d_kight" wrote:
>
> > I am pretty new to using (or attempting to use) a Macro in a workbook. I am
> > having trouble following how and what to do to even start the process; ie If
> > there needs to be a worksheet already in progress or can I start from a new
> > sheet.
> > THEN where to go from there.
> > Can I have some help in this area?  Can some one supply me with a sample
> > MACRO?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated
> >
> > Dan
0
dkight (11)
6/27/2006 4:39:02 PM
Make sure calculation is set to automatic.
tools|options|calculation tab

And make sure you put the values in A1 and B1 and your function uses
=area(a1,b1).

(I'm suspecting that you didn't put the values in A1 and B1.)

--

Dave Peterson
0
"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Make sure calculation is set to automatic.
> tools|options|calculation tab
>
> And make sure you put the values in A1 and B1 and your function uses
> =area(a1,b1).
>
> (I'm suspecting that you didn't put the values in A1 and B1.)
>

> d_kight wrote:
> >
> > OK How about this error:
> > I have tried an example of using a macro to find the area of rectangle. I
> > made a function called area and here is the syntax I used in the Module:
> > Function Area(Length as Double, Width as Double)
> >      Area = Length * Width
> > End Function
> >
> > Then when I go to a worksheet, and place 17 in cell A1 and 10 in cell B1 and
> > in C1 type in =Area(A1,B1)  I expect to get 170, but I get 0
> >
> > Am I missing something??
> > Please help.
> > Dan
> >
> > "CLR" wrote:
> >
> > > Check out these sites as a good place to start.........
> > > www.cpearson.com
> > > http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/index.html#usingvba
> > > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
> > >
> > > hth
> > > Vaya con Dios,
> > > Chuck, CABGx3

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
dkight (11)
6/27/2006 5:53:02 PM
Hey Guys! it worked, I had a slight Typo.  Look at me looking silly.
Thanks. Now on to some more complicated functions.

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

> The best way to get started with macros is to use the Macro
> Recorder. Go to the Tools menu, choose Macros, then Record New
> Macro. Then, carry out some simple tasks and examine the code
> that is produced.
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com
>

> "d_kight" <dkight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am pretty new to using (or attempting to use) a Macro in a
> >workbook. I am
> > having trouble following how and what to do to even start the
> > process; ie If
> > there needs to be a worksheet already in progress or can I
> > start from a new
> > sheet.
> > THEN where to go from there.
> > Can I have some help in this area?  Can some one supply me with
> > a sample
> > MACRO?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated
> >
> > Dan

0
dkight (11)
6/27/2006 6:14:02 PM
I tested your UDF and followed your steps as below.

C1 returns 170 or any other value depending upon A1 and B1 values.

Capitalization does not matter.

=Area(a1,b1)  is good as well as  =area(a1,b1)

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:53:02 -0700, d_kight <dkight@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Thanks dave BUT I have (or had) done everything that you mentioned and it did
>not work correctly for me; like put the values in A1 and B1, the calculation
>is set to auto, and the function is =area(a1,b1),  I even started over.   I
>also put that formula in c1 and the result I was given was 0.  try it the
>exact way I did and see if you get the same results (to show I am not loosing
>it entirely).
>Does capitalization matter?
>Thanks for the response, Dave and let me know the results.
>"Dave Peterson" wrote:
>
>> Make sure calculation is set to automatic.
>> tools|options|calculation tab
>>
>> And make sure you put the values in A1 and B1 and your function uses
>> =area(a1,b1).
>>
>> (I'm suspecting that you didn't put the values in A1 and B1.)
>>

>> d_kight wrote:
>> >
>> > OK How about this error:
>> > I have tried an example of using a macro to find the area of rectangle. I
>> > made a function called area and here is the syntax I used in the Module:
>> > Function Area(Length as Double, Width as Double)
>> >      Area = Length * Width
>> > End Function
>> >
>> > Then when I go to a worksheet, and place 17 in cell A1 and 10 in cell B1 and
>> > in C1 type in =Area(A1,B1)  I expect to get 170, but I get 0
>> >
>> > Am I missing something??
>> > Please help.
>> > Dan

>> --
>>
>> Dave Peterson

0
Gord
6/27/2006 6:41:23 PM
The only way I got 0 is if one of the cells (or both) I pointed at was 0.

Everytime I used it, it worked fine.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"d_kight" wrote:

> I am pretty new to using (or attempting to use) a Macro in a workbook. I am
> having trouble following how and what to do to even start the process; ie If
> there needs to be a worksheet already in progress or can I start from a new
> sheet.
> THEN where to go from there.
> Can I have some help in this area?  Can some one supply me with a sample
> MACRO?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> Dan
0
JLatham (219)

Report #2
Hi we have a different company and for each company we are using different report dictionary is it possible to use a single report dictionary all companies Regards Srinivasan Yes. -- Lyle U Srinivasan wrote: > > Hi we have a different company and for each company we are using > different report dictionary is it possible to use a single report > dictionary all companies > > Regards > Srinivasan OK, that was a bit too brief. Remember that security access to modified reports is specific to each company. Grant access to the modfied reports for each company where...

insert number in column #2
I have a column with threedigits for telephone extensions. I want to insert a digit before the three throughout the column as the extension has been increased to 4 digits. Any easy way.../ Thanks. AFD One way: In a blank column (say column H), enter H1: =1 & A1 or, if you want them as numbers rather than text: H1: =1000+A1 copy down as far as necessary. Select the column and copy it. Select the original column and choose Edit/Paste Special/Values. In article <Om6vrJpEIHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, "afdmello" <afdmello@hotmail.com> wrote: &...

Trouble scanning 3 of 9 #2
I have a client who is using 1"x1" labels to label some internal use products or products that come through the door without UPCs. We have set them up to use the 3 of 9 barcode format when there is no UPC available. The trouble is, the barcode is so condensed that the scanners at the POS can't read them. The line scanners in the receiving department read the barcodes without issue. Has anybody else had this problem? What can be done to remedy this? I have considered writing a simple program to automatically generate an internal use barcode as the UPC-A type scans without issue....

the picture is too large and will be truncated #2
Hi, When i try to select an entire row and push the copy button. I'm getting the following error: "the picture is too large and will be truncated" There are no pictures in the selection!!(?) I work with Excel 2002 on Win xp prof. Somebody has an idea thanxs in advance greets, Van Steenbergen Jan See Jon Peltier's site about this error http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/XL_PPT.html This is the only KB obout this error This is for 2000 but check it out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318265&Product=xlw2K XL2000: Error Message: The P...

Working hours #2
Hi, I have helpdesk inquiries logged in at various times of the day. Sinc our working hours are from 08:00 to 17:00, I would like to the clock t start the next working day if the inquiry arrives after working hours. Can anyone suggest what formula I should use? Example of cell A1 content: 13/06/2005 14:05 Thanks Han -- Hani Muhtad ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Hani Muhtadi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2679 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46722 Hi Hani Try =IF...

Copy Public Folders #2
I need to copy a ton of public folders and their sub folders to a single public folder on my exchange 2003 server. I once saw a program that would accomplish this for me. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks PFmigrate, http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/PFMIGRATE.html If you need to keep the same permissions for each folder you will also need PVADMIN, http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/10/the_pfdavadmin_.html -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2006 Microsoft Certified Partner "Curious Joe" <joebob.johnson@gmail.com> wrote in message news:11...

CRM 3
HI all, i was unable using CRM 1.2 report in CRM 3. so, where i can find the guide for using custom crystal report in CRM 3? what software i should install. thank you, regards, Ng HI, all, it is possible add the crystal report crm 1.2 to CRM 3 report page? bec when i try using CRM3 Add new Report. i see the following msg Error Uploading Report An error occurred while trying to add the report to Microsoft CRM. Try adding the report again. If this problem continues, contact your system administrator. if can add, the crystal report crm 1.2 it is require re-mapping the fields? bec i...

Sweet & simply - how do I enable a macro?
running excel 2k; All I want to know, is how do I enable a macro. I don't care if the sheet opens & ASK's if it's OK to enable macros - I want to know how to do MANUALLY - whatever the "yes" answer to that question is doing? What pulldown / button do I access to enable macros? And PLEASE don't tell me I have to lower my security! ;-) So - in sum - I want to manually enable macros without taking my security off high. I've searched help (yes, I actually try this first, I don't know why - I almost never get an answer I want); searched the groups, found no...

Dynamics 2.0 Locks up
All of a sudden yesterday my dynamics POS 2.0 started locking up when it was minimized or idol for a few minutes of non use. Has anyone else had this problem? I am running Vista. Thanks If you haven't already, you may want to post this question in the retail management forum. -- Charles Allen, MVP "shadowrunner11" wrote: > All of a sudden yesterday my dynamics POS 2.0 started locking up when it was > minimized or idol for a few minutes of non use. Has anyone else had this > problem? I am running Vista. > > Thanks ...

RMS SO 2.0 Manager
On one of my RMS SO 2.0 Manager's computer I'm having a huge delay (about 5 minutes) before the Item list shows up (Database - Items). This only happens on this one machine that's "directly" connected to the RMS server (no VPN etc), while it's trying to bring up the Items List the SOMANAGER.EXE process CPU Utilization stays at 99% and there is no network utilization/activity. When I bring up an (all) Item List/Value report it doesn't take very long at all. Has anybody else encountered this problem and knows of a potential solution? I've already tried r...

Print Current Page Only Macro
I am trying to come up with a macro with the ability to print th current page. It has become a big need within my company and will b a real time saver. Is there a way to search for the active cell an then print the current page it is in? In other words, by placin your cursor on the page you want to print, you could then run th print current page macro Hi SUB print_current() ActiveSheet.PrintOut end sub But why don't you sue the print icon in the toolbar. AFAIK this only prints the current selected sheet(s) HTH Frank vschlen wrote: > I am trying to come up with a macro with t...

EXCEL 2003 MACRO Problem
Hi all gurus please help. I have a windows schelduler to open at a certain time and when the cells have been updated the file closes. The problems i'm having it the file stays open and i have to manually close the open file on a weekly basis, the cells are not updated either? Please see my code below: Private Changed As Boolean Private Sub Workbook_Open() 'start with the workbook showing unchanged Changed = False ' create our shutdown timer Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("00:00:10"), procedure:="ThisWorkbook.Auto_Close" ...

Multiple copies of emails #2
I've read some of the other posts on this problem, but nothing I've tried seems to work. Here's the background. I'm using Outlook 2000 (SP-3). I have 3 different email accounts with comcast that I have forwarded to my Outlook. If some sends an email to any one of those account, I end up getting 3 copies of it in my inbox ... all to the same one of my email addresses. I know this isn't a problem with Comcast, because when I look at my messages on their server, there's only one copy of each. So I figure it must have something to do with the Rules ... but w...

Macro help
I'm trying to do something simple, but it's not working, any help woul be appreciated. I want a macro which will enter a formula into each cell of a tabl column, for the range from the top of the column thru to the bottom o the existing table. I have tried recording a macro to do this. Th macro enters the formula into the first cell, then copies it and paste to the rest of the column. In order to address the potential that table may have only one entry, I jump to the bottom of the spreadsheet then back up to the bottom of the data, then select the range from ther through the top ...

how do i get a warning for repeated numbers #2
I am working with a spreedsheet incorporating invoice numbers. How do I create a warning when i repeat an invoice number I like to use conditional formatting when it's convenient: If you have invoice numbers starting in Cell A3, try conditional formatting from A3 through as far down column A as necessary with this: Formula is: =COUNTIF(A$3:A3,A3)>1 Format: Pattern: Bright Red Using that, the first entry of an invoice number is ignored, but all subsequent duplicates are flagged. Does that help? Regards, Ron "Kenya" wrote: > I am working with a spreedsheet incorpor...

This Movie made me 6,000 in 2 Days!
See how I made $6,872 in 1 day. Not hype or bs. This opportunity is smoking hot and people who have never made a dime are earning thousands per week. http://www.watchthemoneyonline.com ...

CRM 1.2 Oulook Sync Error
We migrated the CRM to another Server (both had SBS2003). After the migration was sucessfull and we can work with the CRM Website I tried to Install SFO. All is going good. We can work with the CRM in Outlook, can put Email in CRM. But we Got an error message wen we open the CRM Sites in online Modus in Outlook: Internet Eplorer Skripterror the objekt did not uses the method. (German Das Objekt unterstützt diese Eigenschaft oder Methode nich.) Code 0 http://localhost:2525/_grid/grid_data.aspx?sortCol=subject&sortDir=ascend&viewId={00000000-0000-0000-00AA-000010001899}&fil...

Help with attached MACRO
Good evening: Is it possible to insert a formula in the below listed MACRO. [Column D is always a date. I need Column F to display a date 14 days greater] Thanks in advance John Sub EnterGrievance() ' ' EnterGrievance Macro ' Macro recorded 2/25/2008 by John Donadio ' ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+c 'Range("A12").Select Dim FromRng As Range Dim ToRng As Range With Worksheets("Data Sheet") Set FromRng = .Range("A12:M12") End With With Worksheets("Grievance Log") Set ToRn...

Macro question #14
Hi, Let me appoligise in advance for the lame question but I have to ask, I am redesigning a spreadsheet which comes down to a data page (dat grabbed of various other worksheets) and a reports page. One thing I would like to do is enter a number in a "control cell" an that would be the week I report. for that to occur you now I fin (replace) eg find $8 replace with $9 manually which is fine for me bu I want to distrobute this to a few people at the end of the season wh are even less excell literate than me. {which is saying something} can this be done with a macro? if so is the...

Troubleshooting Delete #2
Roady - I thought originally I had said I was trying to delete an old message from Outbox in Outlook. It will not delete and says that "mapi spooler" whatever and has originally begun transmitting. I have tried to put Outlook in offline work mode, it will still not delete. I have tried to move the message to another folder, but it will not move. Outlook would go back online by itself. So, then, I tried disconnecting the cable for the internet, restarted, and tried to delete again. No go. I browsed other discussions and saw that you had recommended using a shift delete. This a...

Can I use Power Point on my 2 computers?
I installed Office on my desktop. I want to do a Power Point = presentation=20 using my laptop, since I can't drag my desktop around. When I try to = use=20 the laptop it says Power Point is already being used. Is there a way = around=20 this? Can I produce it on my laptop and then use the PDF to copy it to = a disk=20 that I use on the laptop? I'm new at this! Molly Kohnstamm wrote : > I installed Office on my desktop. I want to do a Power Point presentation > using my laptop, since I can't drag my desktop around. When I try to use > the laptop it says Power Poin...

Can Publisher 2007 produce the same cool picture effects as Word 2
In Word 2007, there are some really cool new picture effects such as * blurred edges, * an effect that looks like an actual photograph with white edge (with or without tilt) raised off the page with a shadow, * reflection shadows, * etc. I had Publisher 2003, which could not do these effects natively and furthermore wouldn't even correctly print an image effect I created in Word 2007 and then copy/pasted into Pub 2003. So I bought the Pub 2007 upgrade and I still can't figure out how to do it. I need to figure this out quickly because if I can't get it to...

CRM 1.2 Install
We just installed CRM 1.2 on a Windows 2003 server which has SQL 2000 on it. We also installed the Exchange router piece on a Win2003 server with Exchange 2003 installed. After the installation we are getting an error on the exchange machine Event ID:1 Event Source: KD Event Type: Erro Description There are multiple accounts with name cifs/Mymachine.Mydomain.local of type DS_Service_Principal_Name. I replaced the machine in the domain name above to protect privacy. Does anybody know what this is caused by and how to correct? Hi Jeff, might be one idea. Is/was the CRM server on the DC?...

dates #2
How do I get rest of the world dates on xl. ie 13/4/03 not 4/13/03 On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 01:15:04 -0700, "Nick" <s213269@student.uq.edu.au> wrote: >How do I get rest of the world dates on xl. >ie >13/4/03 >not >4/13/03 It depends on whether you mean globally (in every worksheet of every workbook), or in a specific range of cells of a particular workbook. For the first one (which I assume to be the case considering that you're from up in Banana country north of the border), go to your Windows Start menu -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Regional ...