Lost data on import

Excel 2002
New web query downloads the string "<10E6/L" OK but on
import creates a blank cell. However the string "<10E6\L"
imports OK. I've tried adjusting properties and
formatting options without success.

The following web query url demonstrates the situation:
http://www.rcpaqap.com.au/micro/dataentry/testquery.cfm

Any ideas on the cause and solution would be appreciated.

0
excel6707 (2)

Alban

I saved a webpage in Excel from your data (Cut and paste) and have saved it
here.  It appears to work for me

http://www.zen34775.zen.co.uk/Book1.htm

(Link will be removed shortly)

The Charset is different wonder if that is the issue

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"alban" <excel@jub.com.au> wrote in message
> Excel 2002
> New web query downloads the string "<10E6/L" OK but on
> import creates a blank cell. However the string "<10E6\L"
> imports OK. I've tried adjusting properties and
> formatting options without success.
>
> The following web query url demonstrates the situation:
> http://www.rcpaqap.com.au/micro/dataentry/testquery.cfm
>
> Any ideas on the cause and solution would be appreciated.

Thanks for the reply Nick. Yes cut and paste works, but
we want to use the web query import as we refresh the
Excel sheet frequently and cut/paste would make this a
real chore. We are really hoping someone can explain what
the problem is and how it can be overcome.
Alban
-------

0
alban (2)
6/19/2004 11:27:04 AM
Hi Alban,
You may want to go back to cut and paste, unless you have a
real stable web page, but look at these two topics they are
one under the other.       #Excel  and  #yahoo
   Stocks, Quotes and keeping track of
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/stocks.htm#excel

and Chip Pearson has an example workbook that you would
probably have to update to find the correct positions.
look for StockWeb workbook on his download page.
   http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm

The problem is that web pages change from day to day,
to make things more readable,   to make extracting data
more difficult,  to change content or advertising.   It would be
best to try to pick something simple to work with like a .csv
file generated by such web sites specifically so that you
can get information in a usable form.

For most of us Quicken or MS Money  would get the information
we needed from their respective sites and more important
be able to keep track of historical data and your own transactions.
For those who want instant access to quotes for day trading, they
would pay premium prices for both software and data.

From Yahoo, Finance, Help  search:  Excel
http://search2.cc.dcn.yahoo.com/cct_search.php?ui_mode=answer&prior_transaction_id=30511448&action_code=5&answer_id=11411554#__highlight

  A "Download Spreadsheet Format" link is provided at the
  end of your stock quotes. Click on this link to download a file
  that should be readable by most spreadsheet programs such
  as Excel and Quicken.     Event though it is a .csv  file they still warn...
  Note: The format of the data is subject to change, including the
  addition of other fields.

---
HTH,

"Alban" <alban@jub.com.au> wrote in message news:1eb6501c455f0$58c760f0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the reply Nick. Yes cut and paste works, but
> we want to use the web query import as we refresh the
> Excel sheet frequently and cut/paste would make this a
> real chore. We are really hoping someone can explain what
> the problem is and how it can be overcome.
> Alban
> -------

0
dmcritchie (2586)
6/19/2004 6:23:00 PM
Alban

Sorry, I was not suggesting you cut and paste, I was only demonstrating that
the web page I put up worked with the data 'cut and pasted' from you site.
That is I had not keyed it in again.  Did you try changing the character
set?

--
HTH
Nick Hodge
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Southampton, England
nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS

"Alban" <alban@jub.com.au> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply Nick. Yes cut and paste works, but
> we want to use the web query import as we refresh the
> Excel sheet frequently and cut/paste would make this a
> real chore. We are really hoping someone can explain what
> the problem is and how it can be overcome.
> Alban
> -------

Thanks, but the core issue is the failure of Excel to
import the value <10E6/L via a Web Query (<10E6\L imports
OK). This is illustrated by running the web query url
http://www.rcpaqap.com.au/micro/dataentry/testquery.cfm.

It seems to me this could be an Excel bug but I can't
find any info on this. What might be the best way of
bringing it to the direct attention of Microsoft?
Thanks,
Alban

Nov. 2001]
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm

>"Alban" <alban@jub.com.au> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the reply Nick. Yes cut and paste works, but
>> we want to use the web query import as we refresh the
>> Excel sheet frequently and cut/paste would make this a
>> real chore. We are really hoping someone can explain
what
>> the problem is and how it can be overcome.
>> Alban
>> -------

0
alban (2)

Import from Excel
I'm importing a spreadsheet from Excel. My problem is that the column of numbers always imports as text. In using the import wizard it does not allow me to check the data type. It is greyed out with the setting as "text". How do I import numbers? Note that once imported, I have changed to text to numbers but all the numbers loose their precision. Hi Import the data into a temp table - run this through a query and use val function (or change the format) in the query. Use the query to either update or append. HTH -- Wayne Manchester, England. "JeffH"...

lost user profiles
I ran a disc defragment and when it was done all of my family's user profiles were gone except the one I was logged onto. How do I find those profiles and restore them. They are not in C>Documents and Settings. sherrobry wrote: > I ran a disc defragment and when it was done all of my family's > user profiles were gone except the one I was logged onto. How do I > find those profiles and restore them. They are not in C>Documents > and Settings. Windows Defragmentation does not (AFAIK) delete anything. Not saying that it couldn't have - although t...

Help, I've lost my password
Help, I've wriitten as program in excel, and I've lost my password. Is i gone forever? I used the password protect option -- julwals ----------------------------------------------------------------------- julwalsh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=96 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26171 Hi see: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany julwalsh wrote: > Help, > > I've wriitten as program in excel, and I've lost my password. Is i...

Putting database data into a combo box...
Hi guys, I have a working databse query thar returns a list of names. I want to put this into a combo box. Currently I am inserting the database data into a range on my spreadsheet (A1) and it uses as many rows as there are names. In my combo box properties I can specify the ListFillRange as A1:A5 or whatever and this works okay, but the thing is, as names are added to the database, I want the range A1:A5 to update dynamically. Q1. Can I send the QueryTable data directly to the combo box ListFillRange... With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:=connstring, Destination:=ComboBox1.Lis...

Compairing data
Hi, I need to make a spreadsheet that can compair two different spreadsheets. The problem is there is no ID no. or unique identifier that can match the data. The spreadsheet needs to take one of the criteria for a product in s/s A and look it up in s/s B. It will then need to get another one of the criteria and of the product to check that, that look up is correct, and so on till all the criteria for that product have been matched on both s/s. if there are no matches it can display n/a. Please help some one. Thanks, Matt -- m4tt ------------------------------------------------------...

Dynamic Data Validation
I have numeric values (0, 1, 2, 3, or 4) in cells for each of columns I, J, K, L. User can also enter values (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5) in the cells under columns W, X, Y. Now for each row, if any of the cells under the columns I, J, K, and L contain a value 1, user may only be allowed to enter any of the values 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 in the cells under the columns W, X, and Y in that row, ELSE user may only be allowed to enter 0. My first question is how may I force this validation? My second question is how do I ensure integrity across both sets of columns? Really appreciate a...

Re: Function to copy data from a variable range? #2
Sub MakeNewSheetForEachSAS() Application.ScreenUpdating = False DeleteSheetsSAS With Sheets("Data") lr = .Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row maxnum = Application.Max(.Columns(2)) 'MsgBox maxnum minnum = Application.Min(.Columns(2)) 'MsgBox minnum On Error Resume Next Application.DisplayAlerts = False For i = minnum To maxnum ..Range("a1:g" & lr).AutoFilter ..Range("A1:G" & lr).AutoFilter Field:=2, Criteria1:=CLng(i) Sheets.Add After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count) With ActiveSheet ..Name = i Sheets("data").Range("a1:g" & lr).Copy .Ra...

Aligning rows of data from multiple data sets in columns
Have table of data 2001 2002 2003 Name # Name # Name # A 23 A 33 A 29 B 20 B 22 B 29 C 15 D 36 C 12 D 33 E 20 E 48 G 19 F 12 F 19 Each year's data includes a name (A, B, C, etc.) and a number. However, not all years include all names. How can I match up names in each row so all "A's" appear in one row, "B's" in one row etc. along with their correspond...

Why won't my Pivot Tables recognise new data?
Hi for some reason I cannot get my pivot tables to recognise that new dat has been added to the worksheet. When I delete the old data and pu new data in (I've tried adding 3000 records) the pivot tabl disappeares and appears to be asking me to reconstruct it. I' refering in this instance to the "Most Recent Activity Date worksheet. Please note I'm an Excel beginner - almost all of the construction o this workbook has been down to a few kind souls out there (specia mention to I.Savell). Any help much appreciated. I've attached the file for anyone who cares to have a s...

Comparing Multiple Rows Across Multiple Columns from Imported CSV
I need to compare thirty+ rows (companies) across five columns (marketing indicators) and would like to output those companies that appear most frequently in the top five positions across those columns in rank order * Companies are ranked in descending order on Ind_A and Ind_F, * Companies are ranked in ascending order on Ind_B, Ind_C, Ind_D and Ind_E, * Final rank order should be output to output.csv My best effort to date is very log-winded - I would appreciate a more elegant solution, if possible? matekus -- Illiud Latine dici non potest Company,Ind_A,Ind_B,Ind_C,...

Easiest way to get 3rd col = monthly averages, from cols 1, 2 = weekly date, data?
Hi all, I've got years of data of the following sort: 1/2/98, 55.0 1/9/98, 53.2 1/16/98, 43.5 1/23/98, 45.2 1/30/98, 64.3 .. .. .. (and so on, up to the present) I would like a 3rd column, with an entry on each row representing the last week of a month, whose value is the average of the data points for that month. Note that the number of weeks in a month varies. Greatly appreciating any quick & easy approaches, cdj Hi Rather than trying to do it on all the rows that are the last week of a given month, in column D starting at D2 enter 01/01/98 Format>Cells>Number>Cust...

import/export format in Outlook 2007
Hi, I was surprised when I discovered that Excel 2007 file format was not supported in Outlook 2007 import/export feature. Is there someone from Microsoft that could give me an explanation ? Fabien Majurel I'm not from MS but it could be that it wasn't deemed a priority for release since XLS export is available. "Fabien Majurel" <fabien.majurel@bewise.fr> wrote in message news:B43BCD74-9F97-4CCF-8D43-E11965016308@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I was surprised when I discovered that Excel 2007 file format was not > supported in Outlook 2007 import/expo...

Capturing form data
Is it possible to capture form data when it is returns filled out? It would be really great if it could be assembled in Excel or Access. I really appreciate and help. -- Bob A You didn't give us much in the way to go on, with regard to the details of your scenario or the Outlook version(s) involved. So you might as well start with the built-in feature described at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA100154271033.aspx. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators http://www.out...

Call OnReceive and discard the data
When OnReceive is been notified, I use the Receive function to receive data. Sometimes, I don't want to care the data, and I discard it. My problem is [ If I don't call the Receive function when OnReceive is been notified, the data will be discarded? ] i guess not, data will remain in the tcp buffer ...... u need to call receive by urself and do whatever u want to do with the data "mmlab_js" <mmlabjs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D3D31D5-B2E4-418A-9619-ED4DE8AA8FA9@microsoft.com... > When OnReceive is been notified, I use the Receive function ...

Best Practice to get MS Access data into MS Excel
I have data in an MS Access database that I want to be able to get into a specific sheet in a workbook without disrupting the rest of the sheets in the workbook. Is there a way to set this up without manually opening the workbook and copy and paste from Access query? The MS Access gets refereshed on a regular basis and we need to have this reflected in the MS excel workbooks. Thank you, Craig Sira Use Excel 'Data/Get external data' to make the link. Do not format this sheet at all ie. keep as a simple table that you can link to via pivot tables or whatever. All you need to d...

multiple or changing colours in a data table on an excel chart fo.
We are trying to have the "negative" numbers in a data table (under the chart) show in red, like the data series, but seem unable to alter the format unless it is for all data. (we're trying to highlight or bring attention to the negative variances) The data labels will follow the excel font's but the data table does not appear to. Any suggestions? Kerri, Unfortunately the formatting options for data tables are fairly limited. As a result, it's not possible to apply different font formatting to different cells or rows within any one data table. If you are usi...

Contacs
Importing Outlook Contacts. After importing contacts back in, some are filed/displayed in address book with "Mr." /"Ms.", while others don't - even if all have Mr/Ms in actual contact. Withour going through each contact, how do I get all contacts to display in addreebook as Last name, First name, Company? "WMcGrath" <WMcGrath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2EC0831-89F8-42DF-BBDC-75ACF5D03BF9@microsoft.com... > Importing Outlook Contacts. After importing contacts back in, some are > filed/displayed in address b...

re-installed xp pro and office xp lost all my emails
Is there a way to recover my old emails and outlook data? I tried to open the old outlook files but it doesn't seem to load anything. I tried to repair the inbox using the repair tool with no luck. For some reason I cannot find any .pst file on the drive. I changed ownerships of the old folder, can someone tell me the correct path to the .pst files? Thanks You probably just forgot to enable search for hidden files. You'll find them. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Larry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1353201c443d3$049af0c0$a001280a...

Task Won't Indent on Import
I am importing an XML file into Microsoft Project 2007. The XML file does contain the appropriate Outline Levels. The first day that Microsoft Project was installed on my computer the indenting worked fine. However, the next day it stopped indenting. We removed Microsoft Project and re-installed it and it started indenting again. Once I went home for the day and came back the next day, it stopped indenting again. I can export the exact same XML file and after it is first installed it brings over the correct Outline Levels. But when it isn't indenting, it has changed al...

User lost her PST Password
One of my users lost her PST Password. I search the MSFT KB, but was unable to find any information on how to fix this. Is there a workaround that will give me access to the pst file or break her password? Thanks. Check google.com for password recovery tools - some can be very expensive - ~$500. Microsoft does not endorse password cracking and does not provide any KB articles on how to accomplish this. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account...

Macros for moving data to Access from Excel
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me... I need to create a macro or VB script that selects certain rows from a range of rows in Excel (if not empty), and then Creates a new entry in Access, and pastes data in line by line, until all the data is copied. I receive several of these worksheets a week, so I need to be sure the script copies to the end of the DB every time, and doesn't override any previously entered data. Thanks! On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:08:02 -0800, ktoth04 <ktoth04@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me... I nee...

Modeling Data Base, how can i do it??
Hi, sorry for my english, I have a problem of conceptual design of my database, i hope you can help me. This is a shop with a variety of articles (Posters, mobiles, decorative objects among others), which have different characteristics, Paint: size, author, image, ... Moviles: brand, size, weight .... Flashlight: Power, material, color, ... ......... ......... I decided to make a table tblCategoria and another tblArticulo: TblCategoria: id, name, description, picture TblArticulo: id, category, images, prices And here i have the problem, I would like how to save every property of the articl...

Update data from sql, using ODBC
Hi. (Excel 2007) I am preparing a model to be used by multiple users every week. A part of the model is a list of active project in the company. The project informations comes an sql database. In the model I have a table, which should be updated when the excelmodel is opened. The users do not have access to the sql database. Is there a way to set he table (properties, ... ) with the password stored in the model e.g. the users do not have to know and enter the password. Med venlig hilsen Peter ...

how to write data to file
I wonder if anyone knows a simple way to write a selection of fields from a single record out to a local file on the server. I then need to automate this in a simple way. click a button or workflow process. Thanks this is a job for the SDK..pretty simple but requires coding ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "DMcL" <DMcL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F3542CF5-1340-4167-9566-047B5AFDE409@microsoft.com... >I wonder if anyone knows a simple way to write a selection of fields from a > single...

Protect data in cells after entered
Need a worksheet where data can be entered but, once it is entered can not be changed. The purpose of this is for accountability. Example: If you enter a customers name on a worksheet and an amount of money they owe you should not be able to delete/dhange that data in the future but only add additional data to the worksheet. Hi Jeff Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error Resume Next ActiveSheet.Unprotect Target.Locked = True ActiveSheet.Protect End Sub Try this event in a sheet module First change locked in all cells in the worksheet select the cells and press C...