Is there any way of calculating a running total within a single cell in a column

Can anyone help with this query?

e.g. I want to work out how many people are working at any time in a
24 hour period. The number of people rostered on differs each day of
the week.

Monday             Time	No. rostered on
		6.00		2
		7.00		2
		8.00		2
		9.00		2
	            10.00
		(and so on)

Can I add additional staff number in my 'no. rostered on column' by
just entering the number into the cell.

Say, if there were an extra 2 staff starting their 8 hour shift at 9.
am. is there a way of just typing in '2' into that cell and getting
'4'?

What I do at the moment is enter =2+2 in that cell and the 7 cells
below.  This is awfully tedious when calculating staff numbers for
every hour of a whole week.

Any help on this one would be appreciated.

Thanks very much

Janev
0
newcole (13)

Why don't you just add an extra 2 columns?

You would have it like this

> Mon      Time     Rostered   Extra   Total people
>            6.00       2              0         =SUM(C2:D2)
>            7.00       2              2         =SUM(C3:D3)
>            8.00       2              2         etc

You can type the number of extra people in the Extra column.
--
Allllen

"Janev" wrote:

> Can anyone help with this query?
>
> e.g. I want to work out how many people are working at any time in a
> 24 hour period. The number of people rostered on differs each day of
> the week.
>
> Monday             Time	No. rostered on
> 		6.00		2
> 		7.00		2
> 		8.00		2
> 		9.00		2
> 	            10.00
> 		(and so on)
>

> Can I add additional staff number in my 'no. rostered on column' by
> just entering the number into the cell.
>
> Say, if there were an extra 2 staff starting their 8 hour shift at 9.
> am. is there a way of just typing in '2' into that cell and getting
> '4'?
>
> What I do at the moment is enter =2+2 in that cell and the 7 cells
> below.  This is awfully tedious when calculating staff numbers for
> every hour of a whole week.
>
> Any help on this one would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks very much
>
> Janev

Is it possible to add a couple of extra columns after "No. rostered on"-column?
That would leave the next column to type i extra staff for that hour, an
then it will calculate the total for that hour in the column next to that.

                                                         col E
col F            col G
Monday                   Time	       reg staff         extra staff

		6:00		2	0	=E2+F2
		7:00		2	0	=E3+F3
(this is you total)	8:00		2	0	=E4+F4
=SUM(G2:G5)	9:00		2	2	=E5+F5

"Janev" wrote:

> Can anyone help with this query?
>
> e.g. I want to work out how many people are working at any time in a
> 24 hour period. The number of people rostered on differs each day of
> the week.
>
> Monday             Time	No. rostered on
> 		6.00		2
> 		7.00		2
> 		8.00		2
> 		9.00		2
> 	            10.00
> 		(and so on)
>

> Can I add additional staff number in my 'no. rostered on column' by
> just entering the number into the cell.
>
> Say, if there were an extra 2 staff starting their 8 hour shift at 9.
> am. is there a way of just typing in '2' into that cell and getting
> '4'?
>
> What I do at the moment is enter =2+2 in that cell and the 7 cells
> below.  This is awfully tedious when calculating staff numbers for
> every hour of a whole week.
>
> Any help on this one would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks very much
>
> Janev

0
ufopilot (81)

inserting a hard return with replace in a cell
Is there a way to insert a hard return or line break using the replace function in a cell? Thanks brent Use char(10) in your =replace() function. (and remember to turn wraptext on) Brent wrote: > > Is there a way to insert a hard return or line break using the replace > function in a cell? > Thanks > brent -- Dave Peterson Thanks! "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message news:45FF0B46.FD839002@verizonXSPAM.net... > Use char(10) in your =replace() function. > > (and remember to turn wraptext on) > > > > Brent...

Removing characters from cell
Hope someone can help me with this one.... I have text in column "A" a list of parts like the following..... ...nhg1234 ..nhg1235.54 nhg3456 ....nhg1253.7 Is thier anyway of removing the dots in front the part number? I dont want the points moving after the the main part of the number. Please help TiA mag()() Do you part numbers all start with nhg? If yes, you could select column A edit|Replace what: .n with: n replace all And keep hitting the replace all button until all are fixed. "Mag()()" wrote: > > Hope someone can help me with this one.... >...

How to count cells
Hi, I want to put a summary of Job orders in a table. (Excel (Zip) file attached) I am having a problem of total. I want to make a total of only approved job orders not the all job orders. Also if the column contains hot / cold type, I need red and bold for hot job order of complete row. Also I want to be counted by job type and entity. For example, in the total approved 7 permits, CONST entity 3 cold jobs and 1 hot job. how can i display in the abstract table. Can anyone help me please. +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: count.zip ...

Sharing CRM SFO on a single PC
I am currently deploying my first CRM implementation and have discovered that a CRM SFO install on a specific computer cannot be shared by other licensed users. The CRM toolbar is displayed in Outlook for the user who installs SFO but not for any other user who logs on at that PC. An "MS CRM Installation & Configuration Certified Master" advised me that: “Sales for outlook can only be installed for a single user per machine, there is no provision for multiple MSDE instances. One data store = one user. The second user will need to use the Web interface.” Is this is most de...

Is there a way to setup excel to prompt for a backup copy upon ex.
I want to automatically create a backup onto a disk each time I exit program. "sonny" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the Subject field. Please take advantage of the Message area, even for short inquiries. Thanks |:>) "sonny" wrote: > I am currently using 2000. Thanks "CyberTaz" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. > > It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the > Subject field. Ple...

Unpopulated Cell Address
Hi I'm a newbie and was wondering can anyone help with my query. I am trying to find out how to print a spreadsheet with just the data that is contained in certain cell address's. Where a cell address is not populated I want the whole row to not appear in a printed copy. Any ideas? Try this idea Sub hiderowsandprint() With Range("a1:a21") .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Rows.Hidden = True .Resize(21, 8).PrintPreview .Rows.Hidden = False End With End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Mick Smith" <notsa...

change the formula by changing contents of cell
I have a table that ranks a list of players by their statistics, for example, when I change cell B2 to "walks", my formula (large) lists the player with the most walks in cell B4, 2nd most in B5, 3rd in B6... that works well because more walks are good. But, when I change cell B2 to "strikeouts" I want it to list the player with the fewest number of strikeouts in B4, next fewest in B5 and so on. Is there a way to change the "large" function to the "small" function within the formula? I have set up a helper cell (C2) that changes fro...

Calculating dates
A quick question before i'm off to bed :) I got several dates, all in the future. I'll just give an example, cause it'll be hell to explain otherwise :p I have a date (Belgian format) 26-07-2008 (= July 26th, 2008). Now I need to know how many days have past from 26-07-2004 untill now. So, day and month stay the same and year needs to change to the year before the current one. Then count the days untill the date now. I need this to calculate accrued intrest, should someone wonder (or if that makes it easier to understand ;) ) Preferably, a short function (if possible) since it...

Preventing Column Cell Values from Printing
I have a summary worksheet with several columns of information. There is one particular column (E25:F39) where I don't always want to print the values. Is there some simple way to toggle this column's values on and off just before hitting the print command? I was thinking of using an adjacent tick box outside the print area, which when ticked would print the column values, and vice-versa. I'm looking for a formula that would examine the tick box, and if the tick (letter 'a' in Marlett font) is not present (i.e. cell value = ""), then the values in column (E25:...

How do I force all capital in a column of lower case names?
I read the help, but it doesn't tell me where to enter the formula. If you do not have a blank column next to the mentioned column, then insert one. Enter the formula in a cell adjacent to the cell you want to change, and copy down. Then copy this column, go to the original column, select a cel, right click and click on Paste Special, tick values. Delete the helper column. Iow, with you lower case data in Column E, click on Column F, if not empty, and insert a column. F is then an empty column. Say your data starts in E2, then in F2 enter =UPPER(E2). Move cursor to the botto...

How to find a value with multi-column, multi-record list
I have a spreadsheet with $costs arranged according to values in both rows and columns. How do I create drop down lists for both the rows and columns and then return the cell value? eg if I have 5 rows (2-6) and 6 columns (B-G) with costs arranged in each cell within this group how do I create drop downs for each selection, 2-6 and B-G, and return the value to a selected cell. In a typical table of this nature there would be descriptive row and column headers. To do a lookup on this table you would then look for the intersection of a specific row header and a specific column ...

How do I change the value in cell based on a future date
I would like certain cells to be cleared after a certain date one way: Put this in the ThisWorkbook code module (Right-click the workbook title bar and choose View Code): Public Sub Workbook_Open() If Date > #12/15/2004# Then _ Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1,B2,J10,K39").ClearContents End Sub Note that this won't work if the user opens your workbook with macros disabled. Note also that there's no way to prevent a user from accessing your data - i.e., they can set their clock back and open the file. You can make things more difficu...

Column Width Behavior
I use pivot tables alot - and I am working with a pivot table where I've set the column width to 9. When I pivot new information in, the column width automatically adjusts to fit, then I have to go and reset the columns back to 9. Is there anyway to override this "adust to fit" behavior and just let the pivot table fit as much text as it can into the column width I specify? Kirk, Unselect the 'Autoformat Table' option in the Options section of the Pivot Table. HTH, Gary Brown "Kirk P." wrote: > I use pivot tables alot - and I am working with a pi...

IF COUNTIF & COUNTA on Filtered Visible Cells #7
Hi Frank, Hope this will help. Correction to Last Posting: My Helper Column "U" increments one Row at a time and says: Check from Row above Current Row back to beginning of my "V" Range: i the Room was used previously give me the Last (MAX) time it was used b returning the relevant Row Number of the (text based) Group Nam (Executive, Trainees, Manager, Graphics, etc.) that used the Room Last The Helper Column "U" then passes this data to the Formula in Colum "T" - it checks for the criteria within the specified Range and doe the COUNT calculation us...

Control can't be edited; it's bound to a replication system column 'TableName'.
I have an Access 2007 accdb database. It hast a table in it with field names TableName and FieldName and a bunch of others. This table has had a small number of records added to it (37) over the life of the database. Suddenly, the two fields TableName and FieldName cannot be edited. That is even if the table is open as a table and you try to type a new record. When you do that an error message is briefly displayed in the left hand end of the Access main window's status bar. For example if you try to input anything into the TableName field you will be blocked and you will briefl...

"Changed by" Column is empty
Outlook 2003/Exchange 2000 Hi, in my mailbox, the "Changed by" column remains empty throughout all folders. When I change to my Team Mailbox, the "Changed by" column has the desired information. Even when I move a mail from the Team Mailbox to my mailbox, the "Changed by" column remains empty. Is this a bug or I am doing something wrong. Thank you very much. Christoph ...

Data within a cell
If names are in cells as "last name, first name, middle initial" can a macro be run to change the order to "first name, middle initial, last name"? A formula will do Assuming you have spaces between commas and names, =MID(A2,FIND(",",A2)+2,FIND(",",A2,FIND(",",A2)))&RIGHT(A2,FIND(",",A2,FIND(",",A2)))&", "&LEFT(A2,FIND(",",A2)-1) Then just copy down. If you want this more permanent, copy the cells with formulas, right click, paste special. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click &q...

Transfering a changing cell value progressively through a workbook
I am creating a payment application form in excel 2007 using windows 7. Each worksheet represents one months invoice. Say I have a formula in "sheet 1/ cell Q7" that sums the total billed to date for a particular budget line item. This value will be transfered to a the next months payment application "sheet 2/ cell K7" this becomes the total amount of previous applications, then "sheet 2/ Q7 is =sum(K7,M7,O7) this value is transfered to "sheet 3/ K7, and so on and so on, until the completion of the job. How do I acomplish this. -- Thanks Mike ...

Data entered from list automatically enters number in another cell
I am using Excel 2007 and here is an simplified example of what I need. Items Price Potatoes 4.35 Apples 5.55 Oranges 7.95 Onions 4.55 Carrots 3.75 Items Column is List for Valid entries in table below Prices are the numbers I want entered when I enter the Item If I enter Oranges from Dropdown List in A16 , I want Excel to automatically enter the number 7.95 3 columns over in D16,or if it is quite a bit easier, just 1 column over in cell B16 Example of table I want: My Entries: Excel Enters ...

getting a single line from a file
I was wondering if someone could tell me how to read a single line from a text file. I tried using getline, but my MFC program does not recognize the getline function. Nor does it recognize <string> or <string.h> or using namespace std. So is there another function that I can use in MFC? Roger Take a look at the CStdioFile MFC class. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "R.H." <roger.huggins@intermec.com> wrote in message news:e98o6IMmDHA.1764@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I was wondering if someone could tell me ho...

An automated way of comparing an old spreadsheet with an updated version
Hi, I recieve an updated spreadsheet each month showing the newer entries at the bottom of the sheet. What i need to do is find a way that this newer data can be compared to previous entries to see if it has been entered before (i.e Mr Smith was entered in Jan and again in May) Currently I am having to manually search through the spreadsheet (about 400 cells) and I figure there must be an easier way! Thanks in advance Alex Hi Alex Assuming that you have headers in row 1 and your data you are wanting to search is in column A, enter in a blank column =COUNTIF(A:A,A2) and copy down as far a...

Summing of Different sites within a day
Hello! I have an employee attendance database for 2 sites, FL and AZ. My report is sorted first by date, then by site then by reason (there are 8, e.g. "Vacation") I have a sum in each Reason footer that gives me the total number of hours everyone at that site was out for a particular reason. I also have a sum in each date footer that gives me the total number of hours everyone at both sites was out for all reasons. What I need is this sum in the date footer to be broken up by Reason, regardless of site. Thank you for your help! I don't get how a "...

Rule only runs when manually invoked
The first (topmost) rule in my list is: Apply this rule after the message arrives with '** SPAM **' in the subject and on this machine only move it to the Junk E-Mail folder This rule does not execute as I want when Internet mail is downloading. If I manually run it, it works just fine. (Our Internet email host has spam tools that insert '** SPAM **'into the subject of suspect email.) However, the last rule of my 5 rules is Apply this rule after the message arrives through the myemail@abc.com account and on this machine only move it to the myemail folder This one wo...

Switch format characteristics cell-by-cell?
I want to do something like this: IIf([table_a].addr1 <> [tableb].addr1, SwitchToBold([tablea].addr1), [tablea].addr1) Is there such a function or set of functions, e.g. switch to italics or change the font entirely? I can't find it and am not entirely sure where to look. Thanks in advance. On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:30:14 -0700, Jonathan Ball <notgenx32@yahoo.com> wrote: >I want to do something like this: > >IIf([table_a].addr1 <> [tableb].addr1, SwitchToBold([tablea].addr1), >[tablea].addr1) > >Is there such a function or set of functions, e.g. swit...

How many characters per cell
How many characters can you fit into one cell. We are having a problem with text being cut off when printing, but i shows up when viewing on either Print Preview or normal view -- aletoconstc ----------------------------------------------------------------------- aletoconstco's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3533 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55334 Excel Help on "limits" or "specifications" reveals that Excel will allow 32,767 characters to be entered in a cell. However, it goes on t...