Is it possible to have text and currancy in one cell and ...

Is it possible to have text and currancy in one cell and be able to use the
numbers in that cell to make an equation with another?
0
thegen (2)

The short answer .. No
--
Rgds
Max
"thegen" <thegen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to have text and currancy in one cell and be able to use
the
> numbers in that cell to make an equation with another?

0
demechanik (4694)
10/12/2004 10:37:17 AM
well maybe depending on how the "text & currency" was arranged

for example if i have
$5 each
 in cell A1
then in cell B1 i could have
=VALUE(LEFT(A1,SEARCH(" ",A1)))*10

which will return 50 which can then be formatted however you like.

Cheers
JulieD

"thegen" <thegen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to have text and currancy in one cell and be able to use
> the
> numbers in that cell to make an equation with another?

0
JulieD1 (2295)
10/12/2004 3:16:07 PM
What sort of Text?  Descriptive?

Perhaps some kind of Custom Format like.........

$#,##0.00" Per Annum"

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 00:29:02 -0700, thegen <thegen@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Is it possible to have text and currancy in one cell and be able to use the
>numbers in that cell to make an equation with another?

0
Gord
10/12/2004 10:13:48 PM
thanks for your replies we are getting close
i'll give you an example
Unbleached hand towel $2.00 (text and currancy need to be in one cell)
i want to be able to multiply the $2.00 to a number in he quantity column

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> What sort of Text?  Descriptive?
>
> Perhaps some kind of Custom Format like.........
>
> $#,##0.00" Per Annum"
>
> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 00:29:02 -0700, thegen <thegen@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Is it possible to have text and currancy in one cell and be able to use the
> >numbers in that cell to make an equation with another?

0
thegen (2)
10/14/2004 10:16:43 AM
"thegen" <thegen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> thanks for your replies we are getting close
> i'll give you an example
> Unbleached hand towel $2.00 (text and currancy need to be in one cell)
> i want to be able to multiply the $2.00 to a number in he quantity column

One way ..

Assuming you have this table in cols A to C
data from row2 down

Item_____________________Qty___TotalCost
Unbleached hand towel $2.00_100__$200.00
etc

(where the item price is always located
right at the end of the text-string in col A)

To compute the "TotalCost" (col C)

Put in C2: =B2*MID(TRIM(A2),SEARCH("$",TRIM(A2))+1,99)+0
Format C2 as currency and copy down
--
Rgds
Max
xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
---

0
demechanik (4694)

I want year in one table to be less or equal year in another table
Hi I have some problems writing a query and I hope someone can help me. I have a database with serveal tables. In one table I have this information, Lake ID-number, treatment, year for treatment. In another table I have Lake ID-number, fish species (I am intrested in pike), year when pike is present. I want to find all lakes that have pike present before the treatment was done, I want the year in the second table to me less or equal the year in the first table. Is there a easy way to do this? Thanks Try something like this substituting your table and field names. S...

Hyperlink via indirect cell reference

Rename Cell
How can I rename column A to read "bills" instead of the letter A? You can't. The closest you will get is to hide column headings, via Excel Option, and then create your own. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "shoe" <shoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBA970DF-D928-41EE-9565-4639E7D49BCE@microsoft.com... > How can I rename column A to read "bills" instead of the letter A? you cant change the headers or row labels but you can define you data as a list (or table) and the headings can then be used to refer...

merging 2 cells without losing data?

Create static text from cell reference

How to make a Add key disabled after adding one record unless
Hi, I have a form where I am adding records. There are two boxes where one has to put the lineitemnumber and another box where one has to put the description. Unless the above two boxes are filled in the Add command box need to be disabled. Now, the problem is after adding one record the Add button is enabled and I cannot disable it. I would appreciate any help to solve this. The error message is: The methos is not supported The following is the code: Private Sub cmdadd_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdadd_Click If (IsNull(Me.LineItemID) = True) Or (IsNull(Me.Description) = True) Then ...

Cell Format #4

Getting contents of adjacent cells

Text Very Small When Replying
I'm able to change the text size when I'm replying to an email but how does one set the default size? No matter what I ser the font size to when replying it always reverts back to the smallest size when I do another reply. Look, I'm 54! I can't read that small text! James Are you using stationery? Also, Alt + T, Options, Compose,....... -- Ron Sommer MS MVP-Mail "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message news:OGt2E1OhKHA.1460@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > I'm able to change the text size when I'm replying to an emai...

Extract text from field
If you have a filed that contatins the following data:LastName, FirstNameWhere LastName has varing lengths. Can you run an update query to obtain just the LastName part of the field? If so, what would be the command?Many, many thanks in advance. On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:09:45 -0500, "Mary M" <none@no_email.com> wrote:>If you have a filed that contatins the following data:>>LastName, FirstName>>Where LastName has varing lengths. Can you run an update query to obtain >just the LastName part of the field? If so, what would be the command?>>Many, many thanks in...

Messenger emoticons
I have changed laptops and I did grab the old laptops custom emoticons folder (all in dt2 and id2 file endings.) But when i copy everything in the folder and add it to my new laptops custom emoticons folder... they get added (i.e. show up in the folder) but the images/gifs or names dont show up on the actual msn... *what gives*? Do I have to change the dt2 endings to gif or jpeg and go to "create" in msn for each of them to add them in? (I tried with one and it worked) Only problem is i have alot, like 203 dt2 files so changing the ending to .gif and adding each singu...

cell selection gone crazy on Excel 2003

Average of logic cells
I used a logic test to determine some levels from raw scores. For EG >120 =5, 119-110 = 4, etc. I now want to dtermine an average score of several of the the results from the logic tests but it doesnt seem to work. (AVG does not recognise cells with logic tests) Can anyone help, please? -- ckdkvk ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ckdkvk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29245 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489704 hi, ckdkvk ! > I used a logic test to determine so...

Can I do this query in one step?
Suppose I have a talble like this, each record has a unique ID. All"A"s or "B", "C"s should have only x or y or z property attached. Iwant to find A, B or C which has more than one properties.1 A x ...2 A x ...3 A x ...4 A y ...5 B x6 B y7 C z....resutls would look like:A xA y....I think I can do this in two steps or with a subquery. Then I thoughtof self-join but didn't figure out how to use it in this case.Thanks a lot! SELECT DISTINCT and do not include the record ID perhaps? Or is the record ID vital?"muster" <muster@gmail.com> wrote in me...

Cell References..
I have a 12 month rolling report with a seperate worksheet within th workbook which refers to the column containing current month's Numbers When I "Cut" Column C (which contains the oldest Month) and "insert column C between N & O it shifts my cells left and all I need to do i input all of the current Month Data into Column N. The formulas al remain intact and everything is peachy. Until I goto the Workshee that refers to the Current Month on the 12 month rolling report. My problem is that when I shift the columns on the "Report" workshee it chages the cell...

Use a VBA Macro inside an Excel Cell

greyed out auto text
Created custom toolbar in Word with menu, autotext and email button as directed in "Quick sales letters for e-mail" demo video, but when I click email button, new email message appears in Outlook but auto text choices are greyed out???? Any ideas?? ...