initial default column width

Is there a way to configure Excel 2000 so that when I create
a new Workbook or add a new Worksheet so that all the columns
have a particular width instead of the default 64 pixels?

TIA

0
bruce2895 (2)

Create the workbook exactly the way you want it, then save it as a
template with the name  "Book.xlt" (no quotes) in you XLStart directory.
It'll be then used as the template for new workbooks.

Likewise, save a one-sheet workbook as a template, named "Sheet.xlt" for
the template for Insert/Worksheet.

In article <419E181F.6251D20D@nospam.net>, Bruceh <bruce@nospam.net>
wrote:

> Is there a way to configure Excel 2000 so that when I create
> a new Workbook or add a new Worksheet so that all the columns
> have a particular width instead of the default 64 pixels?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
11/19/2004 4:33:59 PM
Open a blank workbook.
Change the Column Widths for all Columns to 64 pixels
Name the File Book
Then, Save the file as a Template (choose Template from the Save As Type box
located beneath the filename Box.
Browse for your xlStart folder and Save the new Template in this folder. It
will become the Default for all future workbooks.

If you can't find the xlStart folder, try doing a Windows Search (from the
start menu) telling it to Search for Hidden Files and Folders, System
Folders, everything.

tj

"Bruceh" wrote:

> Is there a way to configure Excel 2000 so that when I create
> a new Workbook or add a new Worksheet so that all the columns
> have a particular width instead of the default 64 pixels?
>
> TIA

0
tjtjjtjt (488)
11/19/2004 4:35:04 PM
Thanks TJ & JE...

tjtjjtjt wrote:

> Open a blank workbook.
> Change the Column Widths for all Columns to 64 pixels
> Name the File Book
> Then, Save the file as a Template (choose Template from the Save As Type box
> located beneath the filename Box.
> Browse for your xlStart folder and Save the new Template in this folder. It
> will become the Default for all future workbooks.
>
> If you can't find the xlStart folder, try doing a Windows Search (from the
> start menu) telling it to Search for Hidden Files and Folders, System
> Folders, everything.
>
> tj
>
> "Bruceh" wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to configure Excel 2000 so that when I create
> > a new Workbook or add a new Worksheet so that all the columns
> > have a particular width instead of the default 64 pixels?
> >
> > TIA

Bruce Hatakeyama
mailto:bhatakeyama@att.net

bruce2895 (2)
11/19/2004 5:29:55 PM
John and/or anybody out there

How does one determine a "64 pixel" width, or any "xx pixel" width or height?

Doesn't it change with the Windows Display Resolution and size of default
fonts?

I never could determine a direct link between 72 pts to the inch and pixels
per inch.

I google and see many different interpretations like .75 pixels to a point and
96 to an inch but all estimates are qualified with "depending upon
resolution".

How about the default width of 8.43?

What is that in pixels?  64?

This is a serious request.  I would like to know, please.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:33:59 -0700, JE McGimpsey <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote:

>Create the workbook exactly the way you want it, then save it as a
>template with the name  "Book.xlt" (no quotes) in you XLStart directory.
>It'll be then used as the template for new workbooks.
>
>Likewise, save a one-sheet workbook as a template, named "Sheet.xlt" for
>the template for Insert/Worksheet.
>

>In article <419E181F.6251D20D@nospam.net>, Bruceh <bruce@nospam.net>
>wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to configure Excel 2000 so that when I create
>> a new Workbook or add a new Worksheet so that all the columns
>> have a particular width instead of the default 64 pixels?

0
Gord
11/20/2004 12:39:50 AM
Gord -

You'll note that I wrote "Create the workbook exactly the way you want
it".

You're right - pixels are almost impossible to work with. Graphics have
their own pixels per inch setting. Monitors have a set maximum number of
pixels per inch, but of course you can set the resolution to display a
different # of pixels per inch. In addition, while Macs equate points
and pixels per inch (i.e., 72 pixels/points per inch), Windows does an
automatic magnification (on almost everything *except* graphics) to
display 96 pixels per inch (points don't change). So a 12 point font
*generally* displays 16 pixels high. Because of that, web browsers,
(which may have a pixels per inch setting of their own), in order to
print, guess which platform/combination they're running on, and scale a
printout accordingly (though not always correctly).

I've found that, most of the time, when people mention "pixels" with
regard to column width, they mean "points", or rather something like
points that will stay relatively constant. So I assume that the OP
wanted the width of the column to be either 64 points or 64*(4/3) = 85.3
points.

Of course, Excel doesn't measure column width in points (except, sort
of, in Mac XL 2004). <g>

Instead, it sets it in character *widths* (using the "0" for
characters corresponds to 1.04" or 74.88 points. If I instead set my
default font to Courier New 12, the default 10 character widths is also
1.04", since the character widths are the same. OTOH, if I set the
default font to Verdana 12, the default width becomes 1.18" or 84.96
points. Again, this reflects the character *widths*, not heights, since
1.04" * 12/10 = 1.248", not 1.18"

In XL04, you *can* set the column widths directly in inches or
centimeters (since it assumes that the screen is at 72 ppi, and fonts
don't get scaled as in Windows). So you can set the column width
directly to 64/72 inches, or 0.89". The number of width units will
obviously vary with the font size.

In article <324tp0979m0si1mlkcib6kabsa7ose2vge@4ax.com>,
 Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:

> John and/or anybody out there
>
> How does one determine a "64 pixel" width, or any "xx pixel" width or height?
>
> Doesn't it change with the Windows Display Resolution and size of default
> fonts?
>
> I never could determine a direct link between 72 pts to the inch and pixels
> per inch.
>
> I google and see many different interpretations like .75 pixels to a point and
> 96 to an inch but all estimates are qualified with "depending upon
> resolution".
>
> How about the default width of 8.43?
>
> What is that in pixels?  64?
>
> This is a serious request.  I would like to know, please.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
11/20/2004 4:08:49 PM
Personally I just use "pixel" width as reference to see if one column is
the same size another.

I never equate the number of pixels to inches.   I just do a Print Preview
and see how the columns fit on the page.  If it doesn't I adjust:
 * Margins
 * Headers/Footers
 * Individual column widths
 * Scale %

In article <419F8A4A.50C46AD2@nospam.net>, bruceh <bruceh@nospam.net>
wrote:

> Personally I just use "pixel" width as reference to see if one column is
> the same size another.

That's a curious choice, since Excel doesn't allow you to directly set
column widths in anything like pixels. When you asked to set the default
column width to "64 pixels", how did you choose 64?

Also, realize that when you create and use your own definitions without
letting your audience know, you potentially waste the time of those
you're asking for help.

> I never equate the number of pixels to inches.   I just do a Print Preview
> and see how the columns fit on the page.  If it doesn't I adjust:
>  * Margins
>  * Headers/Footers
>  * Individual column widths
>  * Scale %

The nice thing about XL04 is that you can change the first 3 of those in
Page Layout view and see immediately how it will print.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
11/20/2004 7:30:25 PM
JE McGimpsey wrote:

> In article <419F8A4A.50C46AD2@nospam.net>, bruceh <bruceh@nospam.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Personally I just use "pixel" width as reference to see if one column is
> > the same size another.
>
> That's a curious choice, since Excel doesn't allow you to directly set
> column widths in anything like pixels. When you asked to set the default
> column width to "64 pixels", how did you choose 64?

> Also, realize that when you create and use your own definitions without
> letting your audience know, you potentially waste the time of those
> you're asking for help.

He's not using his own definitions.  By moving the mouse between
two column headers (e.g. between column B & C) the icon should
change indicating you can change the width of the column.  As you
change the width, a hint displays indicating something like:
    Width: 8.43 (64 pixels)

Also, 64 pixels is the width of the columns when a new workbook/worksheet
is created.  At least it is with Excel 2000.  Perhaps Excel 2004 doesn't have
this feature or is displayed in another format.  I use 2000 like the OP.

Bill

0
bill2787 (1)
11/21/2004 4:12:19 AM
My apologies - I forgot that WinXL showed the value in "pixels" - I've
never relied on them since they don't seem to correlate to any "real"
pixels, and you can't set column widths in pixels.

You're right, MacXL shows the column widths in characters and
inches/centimeters. Those measurements, however, conform to how the
sheet prints out. For instance, setting the left and right margins at
1.25" and column widths at 1" will print 6 columns across on standard US
Letter paper, taking up the full 8.5". The same doesn't happen when I
set the same margins and the column width to the value corresponding to
96 pixels in XL03, however - I get only 5 columns until I shrink the
margins to about 1.1".

FWIW, I never use the default workbook in either Mac or WinXL - I have a
custom workbook that I use as a template for both.

In article <41A015A2.15EE87AE@earthlink.net>,
 BillWill <bill@earthlink.net> wrote:

> He's not using his own definitions.  By moving the mouse between
> two column headers (e.g. between column B & C) the icon should
> change indicating you can change the width of the column.  As you
> change the width, a hint displays indicating something like:
>     Width: 8.43 (64 pixels)
>
> Also, 64 pixels is the width of the columns when a new workbook/worksheet
> is created.  At least it is with Excel 2000.  Perhaps Excel 2004 doesn't have
> this feature or is displayed in another format.  I use 2000 like the OP.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
11/21/2004 4:58:56 AM
Bill

Thanks for that tidbit.

I have just never paid attention the the ballon tip when left-clicking on a
column header as you point out.

8.43 only shows up in Excel 97, but 2002 and 2003 show 8.43 and 64 pixels.

Gord

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:12:19 -0800, BillWill <bill@earthlink.net> wrote:

>JE McGimpsey wrote:
>
>> In article <419F8A4A.50C46AD2@nospam.net>, bruceh <bruceh@nospam.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Personally I just use "pixel" width as reference to see if one column is
>> > the same size another.
>>
>> That's a curious choice, since Excel doesn't allow you to directly set
>> column widths in anything like pixels. When you asked to set the default
>> column width to "64 pixels", how did you choose 64?
>

>> Also, realize that when you create and use your own definitions without
>> letting your audience know, you potentially waste the time of those
>> you're asking for help.
>
>He's not using his own definitions.  By moving the mouse between
>two column headers (e.g. between column B & C) the icon should
>change indicating you can change the width of the column.  As you
>change the width, a hint displays indicating something like:
>    Width: 8.43 (64 pixels)
>
>Also, 64 pixels is the width of the columns when a new workbook/worksheet
>is created.  At least it is with Excel 2000.  Perhaps Excel 2004 doesn't have
>this feature or is displayed in another format.  I use 2000 like the OP.
>
>Bill

0
Gord

how do i change the default value of measure from points to inche.
how do i change the default value of measure from points to inches when setting the width and hight of cells? You don't. Excel uses only points for these measures best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in email address "yoyo4u" <yoyo4u@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33420157-6E05-4A55-9003-088D731E495E@microsoft.com... > how do i change the default value of measure from points to inches when > setting the width and hight of cells? yoyo Row heights are measured in points. There are 72 points to an inch. Th...

defining accounts receivable default accounts
We would like the ability to have limitations on the accounts that can be selected for accounts receviable for a sales order transaction or receivable transaction. Currently you can select any account number for the RECEV trx type. We would like to define allowable accounts receivable accounts to avoid our current out of balance condition. This would limit the possibilities of reasons for ar trade to be out of balance to gl. This is a very hot issue at many clients in trying to reconcile ar to gl. This could also apply to AP!! Thanks, lori b. ---------------- This post is a sug...

How to use MSExcel to plot Column A against Col B?
I want to plot col A (x axis) against col B ( y axis). I cant seem to do it. Can anyone here please give me step by step primer. Thanks in advance. All I get is the graph of (1,2,............n) (x axis) against the n values of either col A or B. i.e 2 graphs instead of one. (In the old Lotus this was so simple: select the column for the X axis and then select the col for the Y and press enter, and you'd get the chart) Why is it so diff in Excel? Select the entire range you want to graph such as a2:b44>insert>chart>>>> -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@au...

Jounal Viewer
I have read questions posted but not any answer for this issue. In the Journal Viewer - the batch look up is defaulted showing the oldest batch first rather than showing the most recent batch first. Does anyone know how to change this to default to listing the most recent batch first? Appreciate any help. ...

Setting .doc default to .doc, not .dox
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel How do i do this for all new documents? > How do i do this for all new documents? I meant .doc instead of .docx Word> Preferences> Save, choose Word 97-2004 Document (.doc) from the Save Word files as: list - just keep in mind that you'll be constantly working in Compatibility Mode which will prevent the use of some of 2008's features. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 4/23/08 7:50 PM, in article ee99690.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "dbdbdb@officeformac.com" <dbdbdb@officeform...

Defaults on Print Sales Documents screen
Is there a way to set defaults on the boxes selected under the Picking Ticket column on the Print Sales Documents screen? Currently when we open the screen, we have to select which boxes to tick and since we always select the same boxes we wondered if there was a way to have them default when the screen is opened so we don't have to click each time. We want the "Picking Ticket Per Site" box, the "Include Kit Components" box and the "Bin Sequenced" box selected as default values. Thanks!! LMG, You can accomplish this with a small VBA customization, b...

Printing
Hope you folks can help me out with a strange one. I have several worksheets formatted in exactly the same way as follows: Col A - width 4 Col B - hidden Col C - width 4 Col D - Width 108 Col E - Width 3 Col F - Width 11 Col G - Hidden Col H - Width 11 & Empty My print range should be Cols A:G (I have used page setup to set the scaling to fit 1 page wide by [blank] pages tall, thus each sheet will print as many pages as required depending on number of rows] When I have the print range set to A:G only columns A:E show on the print preview (and also on the actual print out) and when I m...

Non-modal dialog pParent initialization (and warning C4355)
I have read several posts about "warning C4355: 'this' : used in base member initializer list", and I understand about the object of 'this' not being fully initialized, but that it is common 'safe' practice to use this method to only save a pointer for future use.. OK, my question is; What is the proper or best way to initialize a non-modal dialog? I have used two methods: 1.) CFooDlg::CFooDlg(CWnd* pParent /*=NULL*/) : CDialog(IDD, pParent) { // pParent is not set here, See Create pCV=NULL; } BOOL CFooDlg::Create(CWnd * pParent) { pCV=(CMyBar ...

Possible to Look Up Records by Initials?
I have a user who's telling me that prior to this weekend in CRM, she could lookup user records by initials rather than typing in part of the name. I don't see where that setting would have been marked in CRM. Has anyone else heard of this? If so, how did you implement this type of search customization/configuration? Steps to recreate problem: Account screen Account Owner field's magnifying glass Assign Account Assign to another user fields magnifiying glass Look Up Records' Look For field = initials of user you're attempting to Find. I doubt you can use the init...

Default value for custom field?
How can I populate a custom field with a default value? Specifically, I have a custom field "DisplayName" associated with the Quote Detail object. I want initially to populate this field with the value of the product name field when a new product is added to a quote. The user can then edit the DisplayName custom field if desired. The DisplayName custom field will be used as the product name on a Crystal Reports quote form. ...

initial default column width
Is there a way to configure Excel 2000 so that when I create a new Workbook or add a new Worksheet so that all the columns have a particular width instead of the default 64 pixels? TIA Create the workbook exactly the way you want it, then save it as a template with the name "Book.xlt" (no quotes) in you XLStart directory. It'll be then used as the template for new workbooks. Likewise, save a one-sheet workbook as a template, named "Sheet.xlt" for the template for Insert/Worksheet. In article <419E181F.6251D20D@nospam.net>, Bruceh <bruce@nospam.net&...

Windows and Mac have two distinctly different units for column width.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to format columns for some data I am entering in a spreadsheet and when I enter &quot;15.00&quot;, which is the required width for these columns given by my professor, I end up with a column 15 inches wide. What I would prefer is for the options to be like the default options in Windows version of Excel. In Windows version of Excel, when you hover over the lines between the columns it gives you two numbers (e.g. 8.43 (64 pixels)). These are the default numbers for column width in Windows Excel....

How to assign unique number to column duplicates?
Hi All, I need to assign a unique number to a set of duplicates all in one column in Excel 2007. so columnA will has about 9000 numbers, some of them unique, and others are duplicates of 2-4 approx. I used to conditional formatting to show which are duplicates, but need to be able to assign a unique number to each set duplicates, that will be in sequential order... e.g. ColumnA ColumnB(unique ID) 01233 0001 01233 0001 01234 - 01255 0002 01255 0002 etc.... Any ideas please? I don't know how to do programming, just form...

Default Case View
Could someone tell me how I can setup default views for cases for different users? I know how to change the default view for all users, however I want to make the view different for different users or groups (eg developers, support, etc...) can someone tell me how this can be done in CRM 3.0 please? Thanks, K2 What you are looking for is making the view private so that only certain users can see it. This is done by opening the view in customization and selecting sharing from the actions menu. By adding one or more teams, you'll make the view private to those selected. In other ...

Filter two columns with criterion applying to one or the other?
Hi, I am looking for a solution to the following filtering problem: I have two adjacent columns, so using a filter for both of them is no problem. But what I want to do and don't know how to do is this: I want to filter for values greater than x (a certain number, in my case 5000) in any of the two columns. I can filter both columns for x greater than 5000 but that filters out more than I want because there may be some cells with a value greater than 5000 in only one of the two columns. Is there a solution to this problem (using Excel alone or an add-on)? Peter Hi Peter you can use th...

Vlookup, multiple times in one column summing corresponding
I have a list that contains common invoice numbers that appear multipl times in column A and need to use the vlookup function to find and su the corresponding amounts in column B. As you would be aware the following vlookup functio =VLOOKUP(A3,DATA,2,FALSE) will only return the one amount once i reaches a match and I need it to continue down the column and sum al matching invoice numbers. Column A Column B 145768 356.87 145769 678.90 145880 80.87 * 145769 103.55 145770 56.90 145769 78.32 145880 54.09 * The answer I�m looking to return is 145880 134.96 It has to be a vlookup sty...

Extract Values from a Column
I have a worksheet used to track time spent on various jobs. One column is for the JOB # while others are for descriptions, etc. I would like to have formulas or possible a macro (if necessary) to sum the time spent on different jobs. For example, say (for simplicity) that each row is equal to 1 unit of time. Then in this row I put 342 for JOB # 342. After the entire day I have worked on say 5 different jobs. I would like to have a cell that says "Total time spent on Job # 342" and then next to it a formula that would look at the column and count all the values that are equal t...

Pivot Chart Bar Width
Is it possible to stabilize the width of the bars when using a Pivot Chart? When there is very little data to chart - based on the values I select from page data pull-downs - the bars are really fat. Other times they are thin. I would really like to have a standard width. tia Pat Watson Pat - The bars are based on a percentage of the spacing between categories. If you have fewer categories, the bars get wider. If you decreased the bar width (by increasing gap width on the Other tab of the format series dialog), they'd be much further apart. You can't adjust these automatical...

HQ Reports
In the HQ report 'Work Orders - Detailed' one of the default columns is Order #. I am hoping to enable the magnifying glass on this field that would take me straight to the journal for that transaction. I do have my journals being uploaded. Is this a reasonable wish? Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks, Tom -- The worst words in business: "We''ve always done it that way" -- Stop Fishing for eMail. TT, Try; DrillDownFieldName = "[Order].ID" In the Order # column section. -- * Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security You must be usi...

Can I add more columns to a spread sheet or is limit 256 columns
I am trying to produce an Excel spread sheet with at least 370 columns in one spread sheet but the limit seems to be set at 256. Is it possible to increase this number? Grit your teeth and wait for the next version of XL (12), and you'll have all you need!<g> Check out the new specs here: http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/default.aspx -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Pi...

When Generating Report don't show columns which are empty
Hi, >I have project in MS access. >In that project I am generating some reports for my company. >Now In my form I have one combobox(PalletNo_combo) >when I select an item from combobox and then click on search button then it will generate Report on search criteria. >Now in that report I have 15-20 fields like PalletNo,OrderDate,CustmerCode,ShippingLocation,Ca rtons,PartialCartons,ShippedDate,TotalQuantity,Shi ppedQuantity etc >Now when Report gnerated I have column PartialCarton which is empty sometimes bcz of Null value inside it. >So I don't want to show it in report...

Smartlist Builder
Hello, I had created a Smartlist Builder based on Sales Process Hold Work and History Table in Microsoft Dynamics GP. I had also created 2 GOTO functions for this smartlist. One for Sales Process Hold Inquiry and Second to Sales Transaction Entry. I had setup the Default Go To to point to Sales Transaction Entry. I managed to correctly open up the Sales Document if I highlight the record shown on the smartlist result and clicking on the Sales Transaction Entry option on the GOTO button on the top right. But, if I double click on the record, the Sales Transaction Entry screen does not a...

Force exchange to use my default display name
Hi guys, Is there a way to force Exchange to chande the display name ??? Here's a exemple: If our web site send a email to someone by relaying on the exchange server. With the following information Sender name: "Sales" Sender email: sales@paradoxusa.com To: Customer email adress CC: Allan Tox When I receive the copy of the email I want to see my display name of sales@paradoxusa.com wich is Customer Service Paradox Security and not from Sales... Can you guys have a idea where I have to do my change on the Exchange server ? Thank you...

Form Default Value
The following is code for a UserForm. The Value of A1 in Sheet2 contains the value that I want to use as the default value for this form. The value of A1 is dynamic, and is the same as one of the values in the CombinedBankNames List. How do I do this please. Thanks, Bernie Private Sub CombinedBankNames_Change() boxvalue = CombinedBankNames.Value Call MoveBankData End Sub Private Sub UserForm_Initialize() Dim MyArray As Variant 'Where mylist is the named range MyArray = Range("CombinedData") CombinedBankNames.List = MyArray End Sub This seemed to work ok: Option Explic...

Text to columns #2
Is there a way to have a worksheet automatically change to delimite text to columns when it opens? Thanks all, Vat -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Vato If I understand you correctly, simply record yourself doing it once and then re-run the code in future -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Vato Loco >" <<Vato.Loco.182h63@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Vato.Loco.182h63@excelforum-nospam.com... > Is there a way to have a worksheet automatically change to delimited &...