Importing data from other files

I�m new to Excel so I don�t know if this is really easy to do.

I need to collect data from maybe 1000 different statistic excel files.
They are all similar in structure and looks, but ofcourse they contain
different numbers. Now I need to collect the data from a certain row
and column from the group of files and make some calculation to present
statistic data in a new Excel document. This brings to questions up to
light:

1. How do I do to get the data into the new sheet if it's for example
position G25 in every single source file?

2. Is it possible to "flag" a different position in every source file,
so that they don�t have to be exactly the same when it comes to number
of rows and columns? Maybe try to make Excel get the data from the
position just right of "Total" or something like that. Anyone got some
ideas?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this is allready discussed in the
forum.

--
MnO
MnO's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29672

Hi MnO

Start here
http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"MnO" <MnO.2038kn_1134661202.2013@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:MnO.2038kn_1134661202.2013@excelforum-nospam.com...

> I�m new to Excel so I don�t know if this is really easy to do.
>
> I need to collect data from maybe 1000 different statistic excel files.
> They are all similar in structure and looks, but ofcourse they contain
> different numbers. Now I need to collect the data from a certain row
> and column from the group of files and make some calculation to present
> statistic data in a new Excel document. This brings to questions up to
> light:
>
> 1. How do I do to get the data into the new sheet if it's for example
> position G25 in every single source file?
>
> 2. Is it possible to "flag" a different position in every source file,
> so that they don�t have to be exactly the same when it comes to number
> of rows and columns? Maybe try to make Excel get the data from the
> position just right of "Total" or something like that. Anyone got some
> ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this is allready discussed in the
> forum.
>

> --
> MnO
> MnO's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29672
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=493812

0
rondebruin (3790)
12/15/2005 7:05:57 PM
This formula will link in the value in cell A1 of Sheet 1 of the workbook
named MyTestBook.xls

='D:\[MyTestBook.xls]Sheet1'!A1

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3
"MnO" wrote:

> I´m new to Excel so I don´t know if this is really easy to do.
>
> I need to collect data from maybe 1000 different statistic excel files.
> They are all similar in structure and looks, but ofcourse they contain
> different numbers. Now I need to collect the data from a certain row
> and column from the group of files and make some calculation to present
> statistic data in a new Excel document. This brings to questions up to
> light:
>
> 1. How do I do to get the data into the new sheet if it's for example
> position G25 in every single source file?
>
> 2. Is it possible to "flag" a different position in every source file,
> so that they don´t have to be exactly the same when it comes to number
> of rows and columns? Maybe try to make Excel get the data from the
> position just right of "Total" or something like that. Anyone got some
> ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this is allready discussed in the
> forum.
>

> --
> MnO
> MnO's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29672
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=493812

0
CLR (807)
12/15/2005 8:10:02 PM
Look also here for a formula solution
http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary2.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Ron de Bruin" <rondebruin@kabelfoon.nl> wrote in message news:ebQWYqaAGHA.208@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi MnO
>
> Start here
> http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm
>

> --
> Regards Ron de Bruin
> http://www.rondebruin.nl
>

> "MnO" <MnO.2038kn_1134661202.2013@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:MnO.2038kn_1134661202.2013@excelforum-nospam.com...
>>
>> I�m new to Excel so I don�t know if this is really easy to do.
>>
>> I need to collect data from maybe 1000 different statistic excel files.
>> They are all similar in structure and looks, but ofcourse they contain
>> different numbers. Now I need to collect the data from a certain row
>> and column from the group of files and make some calculation to present
>> statistic data in a new Excel document. This brings to questions up to
>> light:
>>
>> 1. How do I do to get the data into the new sheet if it's for example
>> position G25 in every single source file?
>>
>> 2. Is it possible to "flag" a different position in every source file,
>> so that they don�t have to be exactly the same when it comes to number
>> of rows and columns? Maybe try to make Excel get the data from the
>> position just right of "Total" or something like that. Anyone got some
>> ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this is allready discussed in the
>> forum.
>>

>> --
>> MnO
>> MnO's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29672
>> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=493812

0
rondebruin (3790)
12/15/2005 8:20:49 PM
Thanks. I�ll try some of that.

--
MnO
MnO's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29672
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=493812

Publisher catelog merge- cannot open data source file
whether I try to open the source file or open a new one, I get the message: operation cannot be completed becasue of dialog or database engine failures. Please try again later. Troubleshooting advice suggestd to undate the engine from Windows update - can't find it. Does anyone have more specific troubleshooting advice? This article has a solution: You receive a "The operation cannot be completed because of dialog or data base engine failures" error message when you try to perform a mail merge by using an Outlook 2003 contact folder in Publisher 2003 http://support.mic...

Viewing a file before it is open
There is an option under File, Open called preview. Yet I can not view any excel files. It always shows "Preview not available" Is there a setting that I need to change to be able to do this? You must save the file with the "Save preview picture" enabled for that file. There is no global save function that I know of. With the file open go to File>Properties>Summary. Checkmark option at lower left. Save the file. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 17:41:02 -0700, William <William@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >There is an option und...

Can't add files to Media Player!
I'm getting REALLY frustrated with MP11! It's easy to go online and find audio files but I can't figure out how to add a bunch of mp3 files I've created on my computer! Where's HELP in the program? I told it to check the directory where I have these files, but that's not working! There's no menu option to "add files??" Arrgh! On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:41:01 -0800, Bob Munk <Bob Munk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm getting REALLY frustrated with MP11! It's easy to go online and find >audio files but I can...

Vista and Money 2005 ofx import problem
I recognise some names here from another forum but I thought it may be helpful to canvass some more opinions/expertise. I have Vista Ultimate running and have succesfully loaded Money 2005 UK and updated via the internet. Everything works fine except the bit I need ! I use Barclays Bank and have downloaded .ofx files for several years (Barclays does not support QIF). When trying to do this in Vista I get an error message saying the file is corrupt or not recognised. I have tried all manner of things including testing the ofx file etc and it appears fine and will load into Money run...

Data Migration manager setup fails.
I'm trying to instaal DMM on an XP machine. Everything goes fine until the installation is stopped. The message in my logfiles is: EVENT-Id:17188 MSCRMPERFCOUNTER. Sorry the rest is in Dutcht: Kan beschrijving voor gebeurtenis-ID (17188) in bron (MSCRMPerfCounters) niet vinden. De lokale computer beschikt wellicht niet over de benodigde registergegevens of DLL-berichtbestanden om berichten van een externe computer te kunnen weergeven. U kunt mogelijk de schakeloptie /AUXSOURCE= gebruiken om deze beschrijving op te halen, zie Help en ondersteuning voor details. De volgende gegevens z...

Cutting a line in a line chart when data series stops
I have a series like so: Jan 10 Feb 10 Mar 11 Apr 12 May Jun Jul And so on - the rest of the year is blank. When I draw a line chart for the full 12 months the series draws a line up to April, then plummets to zero in May. I want the line to just stop at April. If I use a series as above and genuine empty cells for the end of the year this ok, but since my May cell reads =IF($A11<=$D$17,G11,"") the "" does not seem to get recognised as a blank cell. Please help!! Change your formula to =IF($A11<=$D$17,G11,NA()) -- David Biddulph "DannyS" <Da...

missing excel VBA help file
I'm missing the excel 97 VBA help file "VEenUl3.hlp". I assume this file is on the software distribution pack that came with my computer. If it is do I reinstall excel or can I just copy the help file from the distribution pack? Finally I may not have the distribution pack since I've moved three times in the five years since the computer was purchased. How would I get a copy if I need it? I'm using windows 98. Thanks for your help John VBA and help files are not part of normal Office install. ie. Office 9 or Excel 97 *not* Windows disk required. Perhaps you ...

How do I read Pocket Excel files from Excel
Just got an Ipaq and trying to use ActiveSync to synchronise speadsheet files between that and my desktop. Unfortunately, when I update the file using Pocket Excel on the Ipaq, it is converted to .pxl format, which the desktop version of Excel (2000) won't read! How do I get round this one? ...

Can't open workbook by clicking on file
Why won't double-clicking open the workbook? When I am in Windows Explorer (or other folder) with excel file in it I double-click on the file and xcel opens WITHOUT a workbook! If I have one or two workbooks open and double click on the nex workbook I want to open, it still opens a blank xcell window, not blank workbook, a blank xcell window. I am runningwindows XP. It did this with office 2000, and now afte installing Office XP 2004 it STILL does it. The only way to open a workbook is to open excel first and then us open command and navigate. Sounds minor, but can't do merge i...

Converting Publisher Files to Acrobat
Is it possible to convert a Publisher file (2-page newsletter -- mostly text) to Acrobat? How do I do this? THANKS. Please respond directly to my email -- LSPosey@pdq.net You will need a third party program to do it. Here's my canned response. You will need a program to convert the file to a pdf format. There is of course Adobe Acrobat but its a bit on the spendy side for most folks at $250 or higher. I had the need to create pdf files some 5 years ago and did some trials on freeware, shareware and commercial programs (excluding Adobe Acrobat). The winner for me was/is the commercial ...

Could not convert Quicken file!
I've just installed Money 2004, and tried to convert my Quicken 2003 file to be used in Money. After trying to convert the file I get the message: "Your Quicken file could not be converted." What's going on? How do I convert the file? Don J In microsoft.public.money, Don J wrote: > I've just installed Money 2004, and tried to convert my Quicken 2003 >file to be used in Money. After trying to convert the file I get the >message: > > "Your Quicken file could not be...

GP Security output xml file contents and relations
I've exported the xml file from GP showing all forms, reports etc. that are currently operating within the instance of GP. The xml file contains resource id's, names, series types and other information. I'm trying to create a relation between the exported xml file and the SYO1400 table in GP. I believe, through some sql hoops, I've been able to retrieve all the permissions or 'resource' objects a user DOES HAVE permission to. I would like to know, if anybody does know, how the 'explorer', 'tool' and 'posting' nodes within the xml file r...

Why does AutoFilter not show all the data in the pull down?
In an Excel spreadsheet with 12,000 lines, and autofilter on, all the possible selections are not displayed in the filter pull down. I can use custom filter in the pull down, but is more time consuming. I'd rather scroll in the pull down. Is there a limit on the amount of lines shown in the pull down? Or am I missing something? Go to Excel help and enter limits. Excel has dozens of limits. I was surprised not to find a limit on Autofilter which is 1000. Most irritating is only 1024 characters can display in a cell and only 256 characters can be copied to another worksheet. ...

Link a picture to data
When I select a group of cells and copy/paste as picture to another worksheet (in the same workbook), I want to have the picture linked to the source data so that the picture changes when the source data changes. I am pretty sure I have done this before, but cannot remember how. Thanks. ...

Remove All Bill Data
When I first upgraded to Money Plus, I was having performance issues. Nuking the bills to eliminate the multiple schemas that had built up since Money 1.0 seemed reasonable, so I performed the operation and rebuilt them. However, here I am, 4-5 months later, unable to balance my primary checking account without having Money hang and need to be killed twice during the process. I can't enter transactions that match scheduled bills without having Money hang and need to be killed. So, I nuked the bills again and started over with rebuilding them. Problem solved. Rather than cleaning up th...

Having problems opening pst file
When I try to open a pst file - I get the following message "Properties for this informaton service must be defined prior to use" then I get another pop-up "Errors |\ve been detected in the file C:\WINDOWS\APPLICATION DATA\MICROSOFT\OUTLOOK\outlook.pst. Quit all mail-enabled applications, then use the Inbox Repair Tool" Please help!!! I have important contact information I can't get to. GHR 770-451-8565 x11 "GHR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:012d01c3ddf8$5ef50650$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When I try to open a...

Data From A List
WHat I am trying to do is Type in a name of a Client in a cell and have the adjacent cell automatically enter a specific client number.... For example.... if on cell A2 I type in "Smith" I want A3 to read "100". I have a list of names and client numbers..... I have tried LookUp... but to no avail. Any help? Thanks Well, you need to show us your formula, for starters. Tyro "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E977F61D-B06C-4E81-9D1F-83094823B1F1@microsoft.com... > WHat I am trying to do is Type in a name of a Client in ...

Filtering data to different worksheets
Hi all, I'm sue this should be really simple to do but I'm struggling to get i to work. I have a list of account numbers and who has keyed each one on. I want to filter down the list so that I have a seperate worksheet fo each person with all of the account numbers (plus other columns of inf ie. address, phone number) that they have done. I've tried vlookup but that, obviously, only looks up the 1st accoun number. Can anyone point out what I'm missing? Thank -- jappe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- japper's Profile: http://www...

How can I data sort to more than 3 levels
Is there a technique or add-in utility that will let me do a data sort in Excel to 4 or more levels at once. Currently you can only do 3 levels, and then you have to separate the data to do more. Thanks for any help -- Pam LaDue ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Pam LaDue's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36773 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=564880 You have replies at your other post. Pam LaDue wrote: > > Is there a technique or add-in utility that will let me d...

Changing data orientation from one sheet to another
Hi, On sheet1 the data is oriented vertically as A1 A2 A3 I'd like on sheet2 the data be oriented horizontally A1 to A1 A2 to B1 A3 to B3 Can it be done? if so, how? TIA Olga Excell 07 Copy the data from sheet1 Select A1 of sheet2 and paste special>transpose. Note: cannot be done if you have more than 16384 rows of data in column A Also, I think you have a typo at A3 to B3.........maybe A3 to C1? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:55:12 +0200, "Olga" <noemail@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, >On sheet1 the data is oriented vertically as >A1 >A...

Help: pivot chart data in secured Access database wont show fields
Hello Is there a way for me to crate a pivot chart in Excel where the data is in a secured access database. By default (ie using system.mdw) the Access security allows a user view permissions on the tables. When connecting to the database the tables are visible, but the next step where the fields get shown doesnt happen, no fields can be selected. Is this a security issue? Is there a way around this? Thanks A ...

data-set too big for Excel
I am using Excel to extract data from a database, but when the extracted data is too extensive, Excel is stuck. Is there any way to expand the data-holding capacity of Excel? I am using Excel 2000. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Creating additional panes of data in CRM 1.2
When we select a Contact, I want to be able to bring up both the History and Activities associated with the contact. I'd like to create a 'window pane' on the right side and the bottom that displays this information - the question is can I do this without having to create a completely new ASP form? Thanks! David David, what you want is not currently possible with the out-of-the-box CRM. You have two options, build it yourself using the SDK, or purchase the functionality from an ISV that has already built it (www.salentica.com , www.c360.com). Dave <anonymous@discuss...

Insert File Default
Hi Folks, In Outlook XP, when you click Insert / File Attachment - How can you set a location to look for the file as your default? Thanks in advance Alan See if the information on the following page helps: http://www.slipstick.com/config/attachfolder.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "The Fatman" <albaxter@optushome.com.au> wrote in message news:3f35ace4$0$28117$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi Folks, > > I...

Need macro to allow me to go out into another excel file and copy and bring data back..
Hi, I'm looking to have a macro that I've started (below) to allow me to go out to a file that is always in the same location with the same name and copy information from it and bring it back into the file I was originally in. The file from which I want to get the information from is updated automatically every 24 hours from data dumped into it from our MRP system. The macro is to be stored in my "personal.xls" file. The problem is that the original file name is always different. So how can I make the macro come back to this file that has a different name each time to pas...