Import Pipe Delimited File, Parse out certian Fields, create new f

In Excel 2000, how do I take a pipe delimited file, strip out column(field)
6, 10, 11, 21. Then take that data, create a new pipe delimited file, and put
the stripped 4 fields in columns 4,5,6,7 of a 15 column(field) new pipe
delimited file?  I want to do this automatically on a file that contains
1000+ records.

What goes in columns 1-3 and 8-15 of the new file?

In article <4696CAA0-1DD3-45E3-9627-3FE001611AD2@microsoft.com>,
 "StarBoy2000" <StarBoy2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> In Excel 2000, how do I take a pipe delimited file, strip out column(field)
> 6, 10, 11, 21. Then take that data, create a new pipe delimited file, and put
> the stripped 4 fields in columns 4,5,6,7 of a 15 column(field) new pipe
> delimited file?  I want to do this automatically on a file that contains
> 1000+ records.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
7/15/2005 4:25:58 AM
Those columns will be hardcoded with text or left blank (null).  The system
I'm sending the new file to has to receive a 15 column (piped) file.

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

> What goes in columns 1-3 and 8-15 of the new file?
>

> In article <4696CAA0-1DD3-45E3-9627-3FE001611AD2@microsoft.com>,
>  "StarBoy2000" <StarBoy2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > In Excel 2000, how do I take a pipe delimited file, strip out column(field)
> > 6, 10, 11, 21. Then take that data, create a new pipe delimited file, and put
> > the stripped 4 fields in columns 4,5,6,7 of a 15 column(field) new pipe
> > delimited file?  I want to do this automatically on a file that contains
> > 1000+ records.

One way:

    Public Sub PipeFileTransform()
           Const sDELIMITER As String = "|"
           Dim vArr As Variant
           Dim nFileIn As Long
           Dim nFileOut As Long
           Dim sPre As String
           Dim sPost As String
           Dim sInput As String
           Dim sOutput As String

           sPre = String(3, sDELIMITER)
           sPost = String(8, sDELIMITER)

           nFileIn = FreeFile
           Open "Test1.txt" For Input As #nFileIn
           nFileOut = FreeFile
           Open "Test2.txt" For Output As #nFileOut
           Do While Not EOF(1)
               Line Input #1, sInput
               vArr = Split(sInput, "|")
               sOutput = sPre & vArr(5) & sDELIMITER & vArr(9) & _
                           sDELIMITER & vArr(10) & sDELIMITER & _
                           vArr(20) & sPost
              Print #2, sOutput
           Loop
           Close #nFileIn
           Close #nFileOut
       End Sub

Adjust sPre and sPost as desired. Note that Split() is a VBA6 function.
If you need this to work with WinXL97 or MacXL, you'll need to roll your
own Split function.

In article <EB500164-E9F8-4DA0-BDB8-781E5D80C24D@microsoft.com>,
 "StarBoy2000" <StarBoy2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Those columns will be hardcoded with text or left blank (null).  The system
> I'm sending the new file to has to receive a 15 column (piped) file.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
7/17/2005 6:19:34 AM
It doesn't make any difference in this case, but for foolish
consistency, the line below should have been:

            vArr = Split(sInput, sDELIMITER)

In article <jemcgimpsey-E224F8.00193417072005@msnews.microsoft.com>,
 JE McGimpsey <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote:

>                vArr = Split(sInput, "|")
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Here is fix for Windows file problems

How do I create a sample in Excel?

Fax Icon on my File menu and toolbar

backup file won't work!!
OK, now I've really had it! This is my last resort! Several years ago, while using Money 97, our computer crashed. We had backed up every time we used money, so I thought we were OK. However, we could never get the backup file to pull up after fixing the computer and everything was lost. I vowed that this would not happen again, so I tried backing up on a ZIP disk instead, and then on CDs. I also got on this newsgroup and got the advice that I needed to first copy the backup file onto the desktop and open it from there. I tried doing that with the old program, and it seeme...

QuickSell Import Bug
Hi, I am using QuickSell to import new items in HQ and have encountered a problem. Whilst when adding new items the utility functions properly, when editing existing items and using the Recently Changed mechanism to download data to the stores, items which have been edited using QuickSell import do not appear. Has anyone encountered the same situation and perhaps found a workaround? ...

Outlook receiving zip files

Field Service Calls and Invoices
We use the Service Call modules for repairs in our Stores and have a situation that I'm trying to find a workaround. We have situations where our technicians will pick-up items without prior notification to our dispatchers. All of a sudden we get an invoice and currently we have to track down the charge and then we are forcing a PO into the system from the Service Call in order to properly receive and enter the invoice. Does anyone have other ways to do this and track the information/cost on the Service Call without needing to create a PO after the fact. This is not an applicat...

unable to read file #7

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

Exporting contacts in a csv file