Import CSV files using Macro

i have 41 csv files that i need to import into 41 sheets in Excel.  the name
of the csv files and the sheet names are the same minus the extension (.csv).
 The sheets will be existing sheets with headers.  Please Help the Novice

thanks

M3ntz
0
Mintz87 (7)

Well, one way would be to use the Data->Import External Data->New Database
Query and select CSV files as the source database.

Drawback:  it's completey manual & you'll have to go through it 41 times

Another way is to choose File->Open, select all 41 CSV files, and let Excel
open them.  Each will open in its own workbook.  You can then copy and paste
from each CSV workbook to the appropriate place in your existing sheets.

Drawback:  it's still lots of manual work, but should go quicker than the
first option.

Third way - write VBA code to open each CSV file in turn and copy the data
into the correct existing sheet.

"Mintz87" wrote:

> i have 41 csv files that i need to import into 41 sheets in Excel.  the name
> of the csv files and the sheet names are the same minus the extension (.csv).
>  The sheets will be existing sheets with headers.  Please Help the Novice
>
> thanks
>
> M3ntz
0
DukeCarey (494)
8/29/2005 3:45:05 PM
Do you have the code for the VBA way of doing this?  I have to keep this as
automated as possible.  thanks

"Duke Carey" wrote:

> Well, one way would be to use the Data->Import External Data->New Database
> Query and select CSV files as the source database.
>
> Drawback:  it's completey manual & you'll have to go through it 41 times
>
> Another way is to choose File->Open, select all 41 CSV files, and let Excel
> open them.  Each will open in its own workbook.  You can then copy and paste
> from each CSV workbook to the appropriate place in your existing sheets.
>
> Drawback:  it's still lots of manual work, but should go quicker than the
> first option.
>
> Third way - write VBA code to open each CSV file in turn and copy the data
> into the correct existing sheet.
>
> "Mintz87" wrote:
>
> > i have 41 csv files that i need to import into 41 sheets in Excel.  the name
> > of the csv files and the sheet names are the same minus the extension (.csv).
> >  The sheets will be existing sheets with headers.  Please Help the Novice
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > M3ntz
0
Mintz87 (7)
8/29/2005 4:08:04 PM
This is mostly plagiarized from Excel's VBA help file

It assumes 1) that all your 41 named tabs are in the same workbook, 2) you
paste this code into a module in that workbook & run the code when that
workbook is active, 3) the CSV files are in c:\CSV files\ and 4) you are
going to paste the data starting with cell A2

For help on where & how to paste VBA code:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/codemods.htm

For information on installing the code see
Getting Started with Macros and User Defined Functions

Here's the code
Sub OpenCSV()
Dim i As Integer
' change this next line to reflect the actual directory
Const strDir = "c:\csv files\"
Dim ThisWB As Workbook
Dim wb As Workbook
Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim strWS As String

Set ThisWB = ActiveWorkbook

Set fs = Application.FileSearch
With fs
    .LookIn = strDir
    .Filename = "*.csv"
    If .Execute(SortBy:=msoSortByFileName, _
    SortOrder:=msoSortOrderAscending) > 0 Then
        For i = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count
            Set wb = Workbooks.Open(.FoundFiles(i))
            strWS = wb.Sheets(1).Name
            wb.Sheets(1).UsedRange.Copy (ThisWB.Worksheets(strWS).Range("A2"))
            wb.Close False
        Next i
    Else
        MsgBox "There were no files found."
    End If
End With

End Su

"Mintz87" wrote:

> Do you have the code for the VBA way of doing this?  I have to keep this as
> automated as possible.  thanks
>
> "Duke Carey" wrote:
>
> > Well, one way would be to use the Data->Import External Data->New Database
> > Query and select CSV files as the source database.
> >
> > Drawback:  it's completey manual & you'll have to go through it 41 times
> >
> > Another way is to choose File->Open, select all 41 CSV files, and let Excel
> > open them.  Each will open in its own workbook.  You can then copy and paste
> > from each CSV workbook to the appropriate place in your existing sheets.
> >
> > Drawback:  it's still lots of manual work, but should go quicker than the
> > first option.
> >
> > Third way - write VBA code to open each CSV file in turn and copy the data
> > into the correct existing sheet.
> >
> > "Mintz87" wrote:
> >
> > > i have 41 csv files that i need to import into 41 sheets in Excel.  the name
> > > of the csv files and the sheet names are the same minus the extension (.csv).
> > >  The sheets will be existing sheets with headers.  Please Help the Novice
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > M3ntz
0
DukeCarey (494)

Here is fix for Windows file problems

QuickSell Import Bug
Hi, I am using QuickSell to import new items in HQ and have encountered a problem. Whilst when adding new items the utility functions properly, when editing existing items and using the Recently Changed mechanism to download data to the stores, items which have been edited using QuickSell import do not appear. Has anyone encountered the same situation and perhaps found a workaround? ...

Fax Icon on my File menu and toolbar

Killer macro idea for business mailings
One of you programmers should write a macro to validate a city from zip code. I receive excel files from response cards and a lot of people will put some random letters for their city instead of the actual city name, or maybe they'll put the wrong abrieviation for their state. It would be awesome if all the zipcodes could validate the state field and change if necessary and the same for the city fields too. Okay, have at it :) Okay, well good idea I think anyways, but it turns out that my columns just weren't wide enough so it didn't display more then 2 letters. ...

Formatting a subtotal line with a macro

Using scanner in Word97

Outlook receiving zip files

Using later version of microsoft access

VB Macro #2

unable to read file #7

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

Using Company Wide Mail Templates.

Exporting contacts in a csv file

Publisher can not save file

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Macros not performing correctly
I recorded a macro to place a vlookup formula in four cells that are side by side. When I run the macro it only performs the first task, it does not go on to do the other three. I used the tab key to go to the next cell while recording the macro, I don't know if that's why it's not working or if it's something else. The script looks like this: Sub EERates() ' ' EERates Macro ' Macro recorded 3/4/2005 by BCBSOK ' ' ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC[-2],Sheet1!R3C1:R102C2,2,0)" Range("F15").Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C...

Dynamic Range Selection Using VBA