I really need help. Need a formula. Need it yesterday.

I'm new to Excel formulas, and I need one that is well beyond me at this
stage, but probably a piece of cake for an Excel Wizard. I have a modest
staffing schedule on Excel that shows several teams of employees with
staffing requirements that may change every thirty minutes, as does the
number of employees available in each team.

I have the spreadsheet linked to another that provides the total, overall
staffing requirement for each half hour, so that the total staffing
requirement for each half-hour automatically loads to my staffing schedule.
Likewise with the total number of employees available for each half-hour and
the number of employees available in each team for each half-hour.

Currently, that leaves me with the problem manually of assigning the number
of employees required to be working in each team, based on their
availability, for each half-hour. This task can take me hours to complete as
I have other things to do at the same time. An associate produced a formula
that works on a percentage methodology, but the problem is that it results in
figures such as 7.2, instead of a whole number, so the entire sheet has to be
reviewed and manually corrected. At that point, I'm just as well off doing it
manually.

I need a formula that will calculate the staffing requirement for each team
for each half-hour based on employee availability. It should not staff above
the number of available employees each team, nor staff more than the total
required of all the teams combined.

I know that my description would do little to help me picture the situation.
So, if you're in a position to rescue a fellow American, I'd be glad to
phone, and/or send a copy of the spreadsheet, and can offer some modest
financial compensation for the effort.
0
Dennis (299)

I could be misunderstanding, but it sounds as simple as using the ROUNDDOWN
function...? If you click "Insert" -> "Function", look in Math & Trig, go to
ROUNDDOWN. I think that is a very simple way to fix your problem, if I read
that right.

"Dennis" wrote:

> I'm new to Excel formulas, and I need one that is well beyond me at this
> stage, but probably a piece of cake for an Excel Wizard. I have a modest
> staffing schedule on Excel that shows several teams of employees with
> staffing requirements that may change every thirty minutes, as does the
> number of employees available in each team.
>
> I have the spreadsheet linked to another that provides the total, overall
> staffing requirement for each half hour, so that the total staffing
> requirement for each half-hour automatically loads to my staffing schedule.
> Likewise with the total number of employees available for each half-hour and
> the number of employees available in each team for each half-hour.
>
> Currently, that leaves me with the problem manually of assigning the number
> of employees required to be working in each team, based on their
> availability, for each half-hour. This task can take me hours to complete as
> I have other things to do at the same time. An associate produced a formula
> that works on a percentage methodology, but the problem is that it results in
> figures such as 7.2, instead of a whole number, so the entire sheet has to be
> reviewed and manually corrected. At that point, I'm just as well off doing it
> manually.
>
> I need a formula that will calculate the staffing requirement for each team
> for each half-hour based on employee availability. It should not staff above
> the number of available employees each team, nor staff more than the total
> required of all the teams combined.
>
> I know that my description would do little to help me picture the situation.
> So, if you're in a position to rescue a fellow American, I'd be glad to
> phone, and/or send a copy of the spreadsheet, and can offer some modest
> financial compensation for the effort.
0
CHallisy (1)

web address help
whats the web address for outlook so i can sign on? I have it stored on my home computer but dont have it here thanks Outlook doesn't have a web address unless you use an Exchange server. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64da01c3e61b$58282fc0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > whats the web address for outlook...

Notes or comments in formula bar
Hello, I vaguely recall an article I read that mentioned I could insert a note or comment into the formula bar. Can someone tell me how to do that? I'm not talking about Insert-> Comment. Example: If I were to have A1+B1, there's a trick that will allow me to add a note within the formula bar such as "this formula adds apples and oranges." Thanks =A1+B1+N("Type Note Here") >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > >I vaguely recall an article I read that mentioned I could >insert a note or comment into the formula bar. Can >someone...

HELP!! Viewing email images

I've got a formula for stones and pounds
Hello, I've got a column that displays a series of weights in stones & pounds (both in the one cell). How do I get a chart to recognise and display in the same format? Regards, mikelenno What is the format of the cells with stone & pounds It is best to enter such values a 10 3/14 and format the cells with # ??/14 best wishes from one who is INT(275,14) stone & MOD(250,14) lbs -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "mikelenno" <mikelenno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5AD608FA-5367-4CED-AD76-1F54228EFDBA...

To write living will do I need special format
I just need to change and update a living trust You should consult someone with the appropriate legal knowledge in the jurisdiction in which you are domiciled. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "belladonna" <belladonna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F25A64CB-355F-44E9-A005-16AA61DA15A7@microsoft.com... > I just need to change and update a living trust ...

help!! smtp protocol error occurred
exchange 2000 srv/windows 2k srv smtp protocol error occurred when trying to send mails. receives fine. Still waiting for some relavent information so we can help you solve your problem. >-----Original Message----- >exchange 2000 srv/windows 2k srv >smtp protocol error occurred when trying to send mails. >receives fine. > > >. > I had that problem, I telneted into the servers that the error occurred and found I was on a blacklist. Had to sumit to an open relay test, and bam, no more problems. ...

Help !!!!
I was migration my Exchange 2000 to 2003 I do my forest prep and domain prep But i can't create mailboxes ??? Why??? some documentation please... What actually happens? What error do you get? -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "A.dian´┐Ż" <Adian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31CB593F-F4DD-4CAB-9F4E-C2131BF7CF95@microsoft.com... > I was migration my Exchange 2000 to 2003 I do my forest prep and domain prep > But i can't create mailboxes ??? > Why??? > some documentation...

Help ! formatting data to text

IF / SUM
I have a spreadsheet with 17 rows, each representing a project name. In the columns, I have 2 cells for each week: Est and Actual. At the end of each row, I would like a row total for Est and another for Actual. As there are 20+ weeks represented, I cannot select the cells that have the criteria I'm looking for without using a more complex formula than SUM. Any ideas? The spreadsheet looks like this: Project Name Apr 3-9 Apr 10-16 Apr 17-23 Total Est | Actual Est | Actual Est | Actual E | A Project A 20 | 22 40 | 37 25 | 26 85...

form and query problem. please help.

suggestion needed !!!!!!!!!!
In my company the want to calculate phone calls done by each sales person at the end of the day. Please give me suggestion how to implement this. Mahain, A quick solution would be 1) Create an advance find view based on the criteria you are looking for ie. Activity of the type phone call, Status = completed 2) Export the list to Excel (Dynamic pivot table/worksheet) 3) If pivot : Drag and drop relavent fields 3) If worksheet: filter by date and use sum. The advantage of dynamic excel report is it updates itself when ever you open the sheet. Hope this is helpful Venkat http://venkatbendalam...

Integration Manager need a registration key for test company?
Hi all, Can anyone tell if I need the registration key for IM if I am doing some testings on Test company (World Online)? Also, can I specify the company database in IM for the data to import to? Please advise. Thanks You do not need a reg key for the Two Company, and if you are using the standard adapter the data will integrate into the Company that is open in Great Plains. You can Specify which database you want to integrate into by using the SQL Optimizer. You do not need great Plains open for this adapter. "Terry" wrote: > Hi all, > > Can anyone tell if I nee...

Newbe help with a lookup
Hi, I&#8217;m trying to make some modifications to a salary matrix and I&#8217;m having trouble with a lookup. In column A I have a series of numbers from 0 to 30 representing pay grade steps where 0 represents a new employee and 30 represents an employee having completed 30 years of service. In column B I have an annual salary for each of the corresponding pay grade steps. I want to take a new salary and find the closest salary in column B and return the corresponding step number. For example if the new salary is $73,415.13 and the matrix shows step 15 is 73,205 and step 16 is 73...

Formula for ageing debt
I'm trying to do a spreadsheet so that when I put a debt amount in the first column, after 10 days it will automatically move to the next column and move on every 10 days till a 60 days column where it gets added to any amount already there. Can anyone clue me up to a formula to do this? Thanks -- Barnie Gumble Esq You will have to devise a way to associate the date of initial entr with the entry itself, then it is relatively simple to do - could yo have a lookup table on a separate sheet that returned entry dates fo all amounts, BUT the amounts would have to be unique, ie n duplica...

formula to get sheet name
hi, can a formula retreive a worksheet name or does it need to be macro based? thanks, N.S. Hi Nigel, This formula that takes care of the possible situation whereby you have only one sheet in the workbook and its name is the same as the workbook's. Note: CELL("filename") will only work if the file has been saved at least once and if the file is opened in a different language system, the argument "filename" will need to be changed manually to the corresponding word (e.g. in Spanish "nombrearchivo"): =LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),SUBSTITUTE(MID(CE...

HELP
We have an application that is used by over 8000 people worldwide. One of our users is just starting to have the following problem: Run-time error '-2147467259(80004005)': Method 'Add' of object 'CommandBarControls' failed I have read that this problem can be caused by trying to open the file in Internet Explorer. The user has told me that she has tried opening MS Excel and then the .xls file and she still gets the same problem when the file is trying to open. She is the only one that has had this problem. Could there be something wrong with her Excel settings or som...

Why won't formulas obey vertical alignment commands?
I have a spreadsheet with numbers and text. Many numbers are derived from cell formulas. I can vertically align the text in all the cells in the numbers/text worksheet, but if I change the numbers to display formulas only, then the cell values automatically align at the bottom of the cell no matter what I have set the alignment to be. I just want to align the formulas at the tops of the cells so that I have room to write underneath them on a printed copy. Is this possible? Why not increase the Row height and write *above* them? -- HTH, RD =============================================...

Help with keeping inventory.
Hello Everyone. I was wondering if someone might be able to help me. I'm trying t come up with a way to keep inventory of product. Basically what I need is to keep track of the current inventory of items... and what I'd like is for different users to be able to ope the worksheet and enter the NUMBER OF PRODUCT they are removing at tha time.... and for the total inventory of each item to be adjuste accordingly. The only catch is - I'd like to be able to use the SAM CELL always -- that is - I want only one cell to be the one that i used to enter the amount of inventory being o...

Help with Outlook Automation
I launch Outlook form MS Access 2003 using the code under the double line. When I send the first email it works fine. But if I send another email everything freezes up. I have to use the task manager to Kill OUTLOOK. And then it is immediatly replace by another OUTLOOK session and the email window comes up. I was wondering if my code could be improved to prevent that from happening. Any suggestions please! RBollinger ======================================================= Private Sub Command11_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command11_Click Dim stDocName, mTO, mCC, mSu...

Help on CString to char*
Being a newbie to MFC, I am having problems on copying CString to a char* Below is my attempt but I getting this error below: ===================================================== Debug Assertion Failed! Program: C:\geac\GEACstatusptt.exe File: dbgheap.c Line: 1044 Expression: _CrtIsValidHeapPointer(pUserData) Below is my code the way that I am doing now, look at switch 4 and this is where I call a DLL library "McaAddPageMember" ====================================================== char cPAGER_CODE[16]; CPsnstatuspttApp::m_LogTrace.WriteLine("CPsnstatuspttView::Call_Page_M...

Formatting in the formula bar
When i type in a number into a cell in my worksheet, say: 42.99 Excel automatically rounds it to 43. Which is what i want and what i set it up to do. However, the number in the formula bar also rounds to 43. Normally i thought the formula bar stayed at 42.99 and only the spreadsheet cell rounds to 43. I am using Excel 2000. Please help asap as i need the formula bar to stay at 42.99 so i remember what the original number was!!! Hi maybe you have checked 'Tools - Options - Calculation - Precision as displayed' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Beccy wrote: > When ...

Help replacing text with Yes or No
I have a field formated as general. The field contains either 1 or is left blank. If the field has a 1 I want to replace it with Yes and if the field is blank I want to replace it with No. any help is appreciated. -- Jerry Save your data and use a copy for this exercize........... Assuming your data in Column A, put this in B1 and copy down........ =IF(A1=1,"Yes","No") Then highlight the column and do Copy > PasteSpecial > Values to get rid of the formulas..........then delete column A if you wish....... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Jerry Arnone, ...

Pub2K Help does not work
I have Pub2K. Recently I've updated my Office 2K with SP1 and, I think, SP3 (whatever was available on MS site). Today, I noticed that Help in Publisher does not work. Every time I try to see Help, I'm getting this Internet Explorer Script Error Message: <An error has occurred in the Script on this page. Line 1, Char 1, Error: Object doesn't support the property or method, Code 0, URL mk: @MSITStore:C:/Program...> What's going on? Did Office update caused this problem or something else is a culprit? How can I get Pub2K Help work again? Thanks for any suggestions. P.S. Hel...