I need complete idiot proof excel setup database help. please

  I need to learn all about Excel and how to make a database.. I have read
and read and done practise tutorials but I just cannot grasp the concept, it
completely goes over my head everytime.  I am quick to learn when I am being
shown or told exactly what to do, can anyone help me learn all about Excel.. ?
0
MadMoose (3)

The first thing you need to know is that Excel is not a database
application, and while it is commonly used for databases, it doesn't do
them well. Expecting a database developed in XL to be "complete idiot
proof" is setting yourself up for disaster.

Without knowing anything about your data or your reporting needs, the
only thing I could tell you is that, in general, you should use rows for
records and columns for fields within recocords.

In article <B78791F1-F864-4D65-A3E7-33FF270E37BA@microsoft.com>,
 MadMoose <MadMoose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>   I need to learn all about Excel and how to make a database.. I have read
> and read and done practise tutorials but I just cannot grasp the concept, it
> completely goes over my head everytime.  I am quick to learn when I am being
> shown or told exactly what to do, can anyone help me learn all about Excel.. ?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/12/2006 7:49:32 PM
Here is a example
http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy1.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"JE McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message news:jemcgimpsey-5D4CF0.13493212042006@msnews.microsoft.com...
> The first thing you need to know is that Excel is not a database
> application, and while it is commonly used for databases, it doesn't do
> them well. Expecting a database developed in XL to be "complete idiot
> proof" is setting yourself up for disaster.
>
> Without knowing anything about your data or your reporting needs, the
> only thing I could tell you is that, in general, you should use rows for
> records and columns for fields within recocords.
>
> In article <B78791F1-F864-4D65-A3E7-33FF270E37BA@microsoft.com>,
> MadMoose <MadMoose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>   I need to learn all about Excel and how to make a database.. I have read
>> and read and done practise tutorials but I just cannot grasp the concept, it
>> completely goes over my head everytime.  I am quick to learn when I am being
>> shown or told exactly what to do, can anyone help me learn all about Excel.. ?

0
rondebruin (3790)
4/12/2006 7:55:15 PM
Thanks for your reply McGimpsey.. My next task is Access apparently.. I think
I might send your reply to my boss.. because I don't think it makes a very
good database either.  Hence why I have struggled with it.. setting myself up
for disaster sounds about right too.. lol..

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

> The first thing you need to know is that Excel is not a database
> application, and while it is commonly used for databases, it doesn't do
> them well. Expecting a database developed in XL to be "complete idiot
> proof" is setting yourself up for disaster.
>
> Without knowing anything about your data or your reporting needs, the
> only thing I could tell you is that, in general, you should use rows for
> records and columns for fields within recocords.
>
> In article <B78791F1-F864-4D65-A3E7-33FF270E37BA@microsoft.com>,
>  MadMoose <MadMoose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >   I need to learn all about Excel and how to make a database.. I have read
> > and read and done practise tutorials but I just cannot grasp the concept, it
> > completely goes over my head everytime.  I am quick to learn when I am being
> > shown or told exactly what to do, can anyone help me learn all about Excel.. ?

0
MadMoose (3)
4/13/2006 3:20:02 AM
Thanks for your help Ron de Bruin.. I have just started a job and I have
never used excel, access or anything like it before in my life, apparently
Access is my next task..  Yet my boss wants me to go figure everything on my
own or pester some newsgroups, so here I am.. lol. I managed to get a
database done.. there is just so much to remember and try and grasp with
excel..:-)
Hopefully it will all get easier with time.
"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

> Here is a example
> http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy1.htm
>

> --
> Regards Ron de Bruin
> http://www.rondebruin.nl
>

> "JE McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message news:jemcgimpsey-5D4CF0.13493212042006@msnews.microsoft.com...
> > The first thing you need to know is that Excel is not a database
> > application, and while it is commonly used for databases, it doesn't do
> > them well. Expecting a database developed in XL to be "complete idiot
> > proof" is setting yourself up for disaster.
> >
> > Without knowing anything about your data or your reporting needs, the
> > only thing I could tell you is that, in general, you should use rows for
> > records and columns for fields within recocords.
> >
> > In article <B78791F1-F864-4D65-A3E7-33FF270E37BA@microsoft.com>,
> > MadMoose <MadMoose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >>   I need to learn all about Excel and how to make a database.. I have read
> >> and read and done practise tutorials but I just cannot grasp the concept, it
> >> completely goes over my head everytime.  I am quick to learn when I am being
> >> shown or told exactly what to do, can anyone help me learn all about Excel.. ?

0
MadMoose (3)
4/13/2006 3:26:02 AM
As you use it, it will become more clear.  If you are doing macro
programming, liberal use of MsgBox is very helpful.  Using MsgBox with
TypeName can be useful. When I started programming (in 1970, in IBM Assembler
Language), computer concepts seemed pretty murky.  But I became an excellent
programmer (not just my own opinion).  Now I am learning Visual Basic macros,
and finding the same thing applies for areas that are different from what
I've worked with before.  Our brains actually grow new cells, and make new
connections when we learn new things, thoughout our lives.  It sounds like
you are willing to learn, and are making new brain connections!

"MadMoose" wrote:

> Thanks for your help Ron de Bruin.. I have just started a job and I have
> never used excel, access or anything like it before in my life, apparently
> Access is my next task..  Yet my boss wants me to go figure everything on my
> own or pester some newsgroups, so here I am.. lol. I managed to get a
> database done.. there is just so much to remember and try and grasp with
> excel..:-)
> Hopefully it will all get easier with time.
> "Ron de Bruin" wrote:
>
> > Here is a example
> > http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy1.htm
> >

> > --
> > Regards Ron de Bruin
> > http://www.rondebruin.nl
> >

> > "JE McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message news:jemcgimpsey-5D4CF0.13493212042006@msnews.microsoft.com...
> > > The first thing you need to know is that Excel is not a database
> > > application, and while it is commonly used for databases, it doesn't do
> > > them well. Expecting a database developed in XL to be "complete idiot
> > > proof" is setting yourself up for disaster.
> > >
> > > Without knowing anything about your data or your reporting needs, the
> > > only thing I could tell you is that, in general, you should use rows for
> > > records and columns for fields within recocords.

Goto thise sites, and others, and read and practice, practice, practice.
Also, read the newsgroups and try to come up with the answers yourself before
you read the responses,...........

www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/index.html
www.cpearson.com
www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"MadMoose" wrote:

>   I need to learn all about Excel and how to make a database.. I have read
> and read and done practise tutorials but I just cannot grasp the concept, it
> completely goes over my head everytime.  I am quick to learn when I am being
> shown or told exactly what to do, can anyone help me learn all about Excel.. ?
0
CLR (807)

Excel not Access

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Excel 2007

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Need help with Auto Filter

Opening Excel Workbooks

Help with income/expenses

help with simple maths in excel

Need Query Help

Excel Problem

Excel DNS query

Please ignore #2

Can anyone help ?

Help with a simple database
I am attempting to use Excel to develop a simple database for my office. The database basically lists a variety of orders purchased from various vendors, and my goal is to categorize and sort each vendor seperately. For example: GC Group 4/24/03 7831.1 $1,000.00 Alpha 1/20/03 7003.1 $2,000.00 Chandler 5/6/03 7050.1 $345.50 Is what the main chart looks like. Now, what I'm trying to accomplish is, suppose I added Tomsen 4/20/03 7873.1 $200.00 to the very bottom, Excel would automatically create a new tab (or even worksheet, if possible) tit...

HELP! remote data not accessible msg