i cant open a file for editing?

when i open a file, i cant edit?

If this is a question, you have provided very little detail to assist with
helping you.

What prevents you from editing?

What is the error message you get?

Is the sheet protected with cells locked?

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 07:49:02 -0800, caroline
<caroline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>when i open a file, i cant edit?

0
Gord

Outlook 2003 Cant get to newsgroups
I dragged the NEWS icon from tools/customize/commands/go to the GO button on the tool bar. It worked fine then I got on a newsgroup and a posting that read "payback" multiple times. I didnot open the attachment. Next time I tryied to go to NEWS it was not there. How can I get newsgroup access back? Tryied reinstalling Outlook2003 and Office 2003 with no luck. Expect the answer to be in registry. Help please. I got the similar problem and got the fix. Here is what you need to do: - add the NEWS button under Go menu - accept Outlook Express is your default NEWS client - c...

automatically naming files for savingb

Outlook 2002 SP3- Runtime Error when opening Outlook
I'm getting a runtime error- Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library / Program C:/Program Files/ microsoftoffice/ office10 /outlook.exe. This App has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusal way. This only happen the first time I open Outlook for the day. It shuts down, then I can reopen it and all is fine. I have try to debug it and the detect & repair option in the help tab. Any help is Appreciated! ...

Failed to open mmf error appears
A pop up window appears with the message 'failed to oepn mmf'. I assume it is referring to Microsoft mail format. What could be triggering this error. What version of Outlook, and when do you see this error? EllenB wrote: > A pop up window appears with the message 'failed to oepn > mmf'. I assume it is referring to Microsoft mail format. > > > What could be triggering this error. >-----Original Message----- >What version of Outlook, and when do you see this error? > >EllenB wrote: >> A pop up window appears with the message 'fail...

cant send emails 02-14-10
I have tried everything you guys have suggested in the other posts, including uninstalling and reinstalling the mail software. I have two email accounts & neither will send. It had been working since Nov 09 and just suddenly stopped. I have windows 7 & windows live mail. Here is the error I keep getting: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. This is the local server I use. Subject 'Fw: Fwd: xoxo' Server: 'smtp.acsalaska.net' Window...

Deleted file in Outlook
I accidentaly deleted a folder in Outlook 2003 and am wondering if it possible to retreive it. Thank you, Karl youthminman@yahoo.com <youthminman@yahoo.com> wrote: > I accidentaly deleted a folder in Outlook 2003 and am wondering if it > possible to retreive it. Unless you permanently deleted it (i.e., held down Shift when pressing Delete), it will be in your Deleted items folder, unless you've emptied that folder. If you have emptied it, other suggestions depend on knowing what data store you're using (PST or Exchange mailbox). -- Brian Tillman ...

Email links open to My Documents
When I go to my blue hyperlinks in Outlook 2003, instead of being taken to the website, I am taken to my own My Documents....when I right click, I cannot copy and paste because the copy is grayed out. I really need to repair this ASAP and would appreciate any help. I am using Office 2003 and Windows XP Pro. Thank you! Try rebooting your system >-----Original Message----- >When I go to my blue hyperlinks in Outlook 2003, instead of being taken to >the website, I am taken to my own My Documents....when I right click, I >cannot copy and paste because the copy is grayed out. &...

Can't open html format email in outlook xp
Dear all , I can't open and create html format emails in outlook XP . I think I lost some html and RTF components , I tried to reinstall the outlook xp and selected all the related options , but still can't work. Could anyone help me to solve the problem? Thank in advance Stanley ...

XML File Converter for MS 2004
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: intel I'm a high school teacher. I write power points on MS 2004 on my Mac and transfer them to my school's PC that has MS 2003. This worked great, with exception of minor formatting changes, until a month ago. Power points that I previously opened on that PC, along with new ones, would not open - this is disasterous for instruction. My tech says 1) the school's PC may have had updates that caused the new problem and 2) that I should install the Open XML File Converter for Mac's MS 2004. I'm concerned tha...

how do I transfer file from Clipboard to an e-mail message
How do I transfer a file from Outlook clipboard or C drive to the body of an e-mail message NOT as an attachment. thanks you would need to open the file and copy the contents. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOF...

Transferring files to a new computer
Hi - I'm in the process of configuring my new Windows XP with MSFT Small Biz. I was running Windows 98 and using Outlook 2000. Now I want to copy all my old emails, folders, addresses etc. into the new version of Outlook 2003 but I can't seem to find it. It's not recognizing my saved files as .PST files. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks, daviskho "daviskho" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052801c3dbb0$e46e5970$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi - I'm in the process of configuring my new Windows XP > with MSFT Small Biz. ...

Too large to send, yet the file gets saved.
I noticed that a user's mailbox grew from 100KB to 400KB in a few days. This got my attention. I pokjed around and found that he had tried to zip a really big file and send it to his AOL account. (we won't talk about what was in that single file that would not compress al that well :-) ) The file was 161MB (obviously this is larger than global message delivery default) and it was in both his sent items and found in the bounce-back message from the system administrator: This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full. Create a shorter messa...

Capital One giving me corrupt Money import files
Money is saying the files I get from Capital One credit card are corrupt. Some months import fine, while others I get an error. I try to get support from Capital One, but they keep giving me the runaround. Anything I can do with Money to get this to work? I have about 50 transactions a month and rather not input these manually! -Max Max, The problem is that there's a character in the statement you're getting from Capital One that Money is choking on. I've run in to the same issue...save the statement from Capital One to your hard drive and edit it by hand. Search for &qu...

Length-limits in Edit-boxes dynamically created in MFC...
Hi! I have found an excellent class by a fellow named Marcel Scherpenisse. One problem is that when I use this class to create edit-boxes, the string length is limited to the actual size of the text box. Unfortunately, I do not really know how this class works, but it uses DDX_Text to transfer the data between a CString and the edit control. I have tried to send the message EM_SETLIMITTEXT to what I believe is the control, but no effect. You can find the class here: http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/dynamicdialog.asp I've been trying to contact mr. Scherpenisse, to no avail, so I thought...

Opening multiple workbooks through code and copying values
Help! the following code 'kinda sorta' does what I want, but it has 3 problems. 1. Instead of going on to the next file if the file doesn't exist, it pastes the data from the previous file. 2. It closes the workbook into which I am compiling data instead of just the ones I am copying from. 3. Everytime it closes a file, it asks the question about 'large amounts of data in the clipboard.' Thanks, Pam Here is the code: Private Sub cmdCreate_Click() On Error GoTo Report_Err Dim myPath As String Dim myReport As Object Dim mySheet As String Dim myRow As Integer Dim x...

Cannot edit dates, memos, or amounts
I am running MS Money Plus Deluxe (expires 12-29-09) on Vista Ultimate. Something strange has recently happened such that I can no longer edit dates, amounts, or memos in any of my accounts. It does not matter if the transaction is downloaded or entered manually. It also does not matter what account I use. I can tell when an update is accepted as there is a "beep" sound. When I hit "Enter" after editing the memo, date, or amount fields there is no beep. I restored from a recent backup and the problem is the same. The only thing I've not done is re-install ...

jpg files
I have had several users experiencing problems opening pictures from Outlook 2000. Their O/S is XP Pro. Any ideas? Thank You, Jamie ...

Access 2007 Editing Form Design
Hi - I have just baught Access 2007 and I'm trying to edit a form - but all the fieids seem to be 'grouped' together - so when I change the length, or move one, they all move. Does anyone know how to unlock them. Thanks See this page on my site for assistance: http://accessjunkie.com/faq_12.aspx -- Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumni SDET - XAS Services - Microsoft Corporation Co-author - Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out Presenter - Microsoft Access 2007 Essentials http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie.html Access 2007 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com -...

Copying Very Large files
Would there be any performance gain if we used win2008R2 rather than Windows 7 at each end for copying large(2-5GB batches). -- Craig On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:56:55 -0600, "News" <nf@no.com> wrote: >Would there be any performance gain if we used win2008R2 rather than >Windows 7 at each end for copying large(2-5GB batches). > >-- Craig > I doubt it but the performance will differ in ways that depend upon the file size not just the total bytes. You may find some clues in http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2008/02/04/28261...

Help setting a File Name
hi experts I'm having trouble with the following: Cell J1 of Sheet1 contains a date, say Dec. 15, 2009. Sheet1 has a 'Save' button called cmbSave. When I click cbmSave, I'd like the SaveAs... dialog to be shown with the suggested File Name showing as 'POS_Summary_091215.xls' . In other words, I'd like the suggested file name to start with 'POS_Summary_', and to end with the J1 date in yymmdd format. Can this be done? thank you in advance Cinnie -- cinnie Sub newdate() Dim d As Date, s As String d = Range("J1").Va...