I can't select non adjacent cells using the control button

For some reason I am having a terrible time selecting or highlighting a group
of cells and then using the control button and selecting another group of
cells

Are you selecting say  A1:A3 then hold CTRL key and select D1:D3?

What occurs when you try?

How about hitting SHIFT + F8 then selecting A1:A3 and D1:D3?

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 15:24:01 -0700, mustbesimple
<mustbesimple@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>For some reason I am having a terrible time selecting or highlighting a group
>of cells and then using the control button and selecting another group of
>cells

0
Gord
9/19/2009 10:49:02 PM
I would really like to see an answer on this.  I teach Excel and on rare
occassion Excel simply doesn't work in this regard.  I have the student move
to another machine and do the same thing with the same Excel sheet and it
works!  Seems to be a myster to me
0
KjenkinJC (1)

How do I make a graphic with non-numerical data on X axis ?
I would like to make a graphic with non-numerical data on X axis (e.g. names of persons or cities). When I use the normal graphic construction procedure in Excell, numbers are generated (1, 2, 3 ...) in place of the text of the X axis column. can anyone help me? Thanks. Select the chart, and choose Source Data from the Chart menu. Click on the Series tab. Make sure the appropriate range is indicated in the Category (X) Axis Labels box. This cannot be done in an XY chart, but will work for Line, Column, and other chart types. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and...

MS supplies 64 bit printer driver does not select paper tray
Win7 Home Premium 64 bit LexMark T420 printer (Lan connected) Win7 saw the printer and loaded a MS driver for it. I can print to the T420 but the print out always goes to tray 1 (legal). In the print preferences panel, I select tray 2 but the physical print always comes from tray 1. I cannot tell if the MS driver is PS or PCL. This is my first foray into the world of 64 bit printer drivers. Any suggestions appreciated. -- ***************** John Lenz JohnLenz@comcast.net The drivers provided by Microsoft are supplied by the manufacturer and are almost always not fu...

How to diffrentiate Text & number from a single cell????
Hi ther guyz............i a have small problem with the execl sheets........... my problem is e.g. i have alot of cells with a number and some text in it........and they both are in one/single cell (e.g. "878 queen st" in A1)....now what i want is to remove let's say "queen st" from each cell so that there is only number left in it.....................i cannot figure out any formula........if there is any..............need help imediately -- pack_card2000 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pack_card2000's Profile: http://www...

Printing problem when selecting any paper type other than plain pa
I have MSPub 2002 with XP HE and use an HP Inkjet printer cp1700. When I make my brochures I usually put a border around the edge a fill with some color. If I print one page, I have no problem, but if I ask the software to print numerous copies (anything more than 1 such as 2,3,4,etc) when it prints the second, third, forth etc copy, I always get a series of 3 lines after the top border. If I click the printer icon numerous times I do not get this problem or if I print the document in "paper type" plain paper, I do not get the problem. Does anyone ever experience this problem...

Help with using data
Hi I would really appreciate some help with extracting data from Outlook. I have been building up a database of clients/prospectives, these are in various categories. I would like to extract/search on various fields as well as my own categories, all i can do with export is extract the whole lot to a tab delimited file. Or export categories to an rge file which I can't use. Any ideas out there? thanks Outlook's Search doesn't suffice? There are 3rd party search applications that might help. What sprcifically stops you from exporting to a format other than TSV? There are other...

Option Buttons Help
I hope I can explain my problem if you need further details please advise: I have 6 Option Buttons (Form Control) on a worksheet, when I click (Checked) any of them the rest automatically unchecked themselves, how can I modify them, since I want to create two groups of 3 Option Button on each group so if I click (checked) any of the Option Button in a group of 3 it does not unchecked any of the Option Buttons on the other group of 3? Thanks in Advance Saul Put each group into its own groupbox (also on that Forms toolbar). sAYk wrote: > > I hope I can explain my problem if you n...

Why does 'Ignore All' button still spell check
Only talking about new emails for now and using Outlook as the editor. Say thare are 3 spelling errors in a NEW email. The first one is picked up and I then click on IGNORE ALL button. However the spell checker does NOT ignore all and keeps popping up on the other two spelling errors. Am I misunderstanding IGNORE ALL? -- Regards Tom Hi Tom, IGNORE ALL means ignore all following instances of that particular error. To do what you apparently want click Cancel to end the spell check. Outlook will ask you if you want to send anyway. Click Yes. Sincerely, Gene "ThomasAJ" <Th...

Copy Cells with VBA
Hello, I'd like a VBA macro that would copy in row C4 of worksheet A the content of row E11 of worksheet B. Is that possible ? Regards, Hi Jef If both workbooks are open try this I think you mean a range instead of a row? Workbooks("A.xls").Sheets("sheet1").Range("C4").Value = _ Workbooks("B.xls").Sheets("sheet1").Range("E11").Value -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:637A2067-D2D9-4607-B2D2-B03884429075@microsoft.com... > He...

Protected cells and grouping
I have a spreadsheet that I am using grouping to expend and compress associated lrows of date. Within the group I want to protect some rows. However, I find that when I set this up the grouping no longer functions. Is there a way to set this up so I continue to expand or compress the group and still protect some of the rows of data within the group? Thanks, --Jim Have you thought of using a userform with mutitabs etc to view the sheet.? http://www.geocities.com/excelmarksway "JimS" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet that I am using grouping to expend and compress > asso...

Delete cell contents while retaining formulas
I want to delete cell contents from cells I select without deleting the formulas. How do I accomplish this? Thanks in advance.. Hi - select your range - hit F5, click 'Special' and check 'Constants' - now hit the DEL key -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Dave A." <cyberayk@excite.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Oo4ybUJ2EHA.1144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I want to delete cell contents from cells I select without deleting the > formulas. How do I accomplish this? > > Thanks in advance.. > > ...

Software recommendations for Document Control, CAPA and PLM
My company is looking for third party software for Document Control, CAPA and PLM. If any of you have any recommendations, please post. It will be nice if these softwares could interface with Great Plains. Stacey ...

blank cells #4
How do I copy and paste...and OMIT blank cells.. Larry Hi Try this: Select the range of data, click Edit>Goto>Special and select Contants; non-blank cells will be selected this way. Next, carry out normal copy and paste procedures. >-----Original Message----- >How do I copy and paste...and OMIT blank cells.. > >Larry >. > ...

How to accept emails for non-exchange users?
When just using the IIS SMTP server, all emails coming in to invalid users at my.domain got put in the drop folder. We had another email system that would look in the drop folder for those .eml files and process them seperately. Now that we've switched to Exchange, any email that comes in for a recipient on my.domain that is not an exchange user is bounced. How can I get it to behave the same as the IIS SMTP server and drop emails not deliverable to exchange users in the drop or bad folder so my other system can grab them? - In Recipient Policy, uncheck "this Exchange Org...

Run-time error 438
I'm trying to find out why this code is not working. With Worksheets("Multi-period Code data").ListBox1 .Clear For FillCount = 1 To Worksheets("ClassCodes").Range("E1") .AddItem Worksheets("ClassCodes").Range("C1").Offset(FillCount, 0) Next FillCount .ListIndex = Worksheets("Multi-period Code data").Range("O1").Value End With Just to clarify, there is a sheet named "Multi-period Code data" and ListBox1 exists on the sheet. The err...

How to get ID of a button & bitmap in a BitmapButton???
Hii all, I am using BitmapButtons in my application and I want to get the ID of the button aswell as the bitmap placed on it using a CWnd pointer to it.If this is not feasible please do help me with how to get a handler to button & bitmap so that I could use the GetDlgCtrlID() function to retrieve the button/bitmap ID’s. A big Thanxxxxxxxxxxxx in advance, Gov. ----- Well if you have a CWnd pointer to the Button. (I think you answered your own question on this one) pButton->GetDlgCtrlID(); or GetDlgCtrlID(pButton->m_hWnd); As far as the Bitmap ID goes, that information is not ...

Problem with List Control Box
I have a list control with 3 columns. For some reason when I try to insert an entry into the list control, sometimes, only the item's first value gets added, but the values for the 2nd and 3rd column are not there. If i continue to add the same entry consistently, eventually the entry will be added correctly with all three values. Why is that? For example: sometimes I will add (a,b,c) into my List control box, but only (a) gets shown. But if i keep inserting an item, eventually the entry (a,b,c) will be added... >I have a list control with 3 columns. For some reason when I try ...

Unable to Sum cells in Excel
Hello, I am having issues trying to use the SUM function to autosum a couple of cells that have If functions within them. I am trying to do the following: In Q12 I am trying to get the Sum of N12, O12 and P12. I have only tried =SUM(N12:P12) as the function formatting the cell as text, general, numeric etc but the total always ends up being 0.00, I never get an addition of the values in the other cells. Each of the N, O and P cells has the following function within it, =IF(F12="","",IF(F12>=90%,"5",IF(F12>=85%,"4",IF (F12>=78%,"...

pasting 1 cell into merged cells
Is this possible at all? I get an error: cannot change part of a merged cell. thanks, dominique Hi this is one of the drawbacks of merged cells. Therefore try to avoid these kind of formating -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Dominique Schroeder wrote: > Is this possible at all? > > I get an error: cannot change part of a merged cell. > > thanks, > > dominique You can get around the error message by pasting into the function lin above the worksheet. Look for the fx just above your lettered columns, click just right of the fx in the white line and ...

Criteria for select query.
I have Access2003. I need a criteria expression to select certain data from a query QryLedgerTxns. When the ledger is reconciled with the bank statement, that statement date is manually entered into a QryLedgerTxns field called "DateStatement". The "DateStatement" field matches a ledger transaction field called "Withdrawal" My aim is to add up all the sums in the "Withdrawal" field *not* reconciled with the bank statement. The "Withdrawal" field is currency. The "DateStatement" field is Date/time. Therefo...

SOS! SharePoint Install
I downloaded SharePoint Services 2.0 and installed it on my Windows Server 2003 Std. server where CRM 3.0 is installed. Now, I can't use CRM. When I double click the icon I get a message that says "The Server is Unavailable". Major disaster! Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance. Did you reboot the server? "Lloyd" wrote: > I downloaded SharePoint Services 2.0 and installed it on my Windows Server > 2003 Std. server where CRM 3.0 is installed. Now, I can't use CRM. When I > double click the icon I get a message that says "The Server is...

Real Programmers (TM) use MSFT C# not Linux languages (sez an expert)
Don't take my word for it, see what this nationally syndicated author and computer programming guru says... and note the reader's comment at the very end...about Linux...I think he's talking about Linux. Anyway the takeaway executive summary of this article is simple: C# rulz. RL http://programmingzen.com/2010/06/23/how-microsoft-is-changing-the-programm= ing-world/ How Microsoft is changing the programming world Posted on Jun 23rd, 2010 in .NET, Programming Languages | 47 comments Several years ago I knew a programmer, we=92ll call him Joe, who fancied himsel...

Outlook 2003 error when trying to use WordMail
Hi, Outlook 2003 has recently started reporting the following error, when trying to use Word 2003 as the MAil Editor. I have tried all the uslal things including Uninstalling Office, clearing the main registry settings and re installing, but nothing seems to work, does anyone have any idea what is causing this and more importantly how to solve it: "Word is unavailable, not installed, or is not the same version as outlook. The outlook email word editor will be used instead. an OLE registration error occured. The program is not correctly installed run Setup program again" Gavin,...

selecting cells #3
When working with a large group of cells, I find it easier to click the top cell, scroll to the bottom, and click the last cell while holding the shift key down. The problem is, when I want to select a second column of data, I have to select the top cell using the control key, the pull down the cursor manually. Is there a way to select 2 or more non-adjacent columns without having to scroll down using the mouse? Nevermind - figured it out myself. The easiest things are often so obvious they are hard to see. "Wazooli" wrote: > When working with a large group of cells, I...

Query--using Access 2007
I have a tblAddress table with a lookup field called TypeofAddressID. A company may have many addresses with different TypeofAddressID—such as 1 = Business, 2 = Mailstop, 3 = PO Box, and so on. I need to pull out TypeofAddressID # 1. Then if a 1 is not available, give me the type that is (which may be the PO address or Mailstop). I tried DLookup, Xor, and IIf([TypeofAddressID]=1, 1, IIf([TypeofAddressID]=2, 2, IIf([TypeofAddressID]=3, 3, 4))), but it is listing all addresses per company instead of either or. Any suggestions? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster....

selected text highlighting issue
Windows XP SP3. Office 2003 fully updated. This has always bugged me so I figured I'd finally ask the question. I run 2 monitors and work on multiple things at once. If I have a Word doc open (or notepad or some other editor) and select a block of text and then move to another application, the text in the Word doc no longer appears selected. This is extremely annoying at times. Just because my Word doc is no longer the active application doesn't mean that I don't want to see what I've selected. And if it's so that I know it's not the active application, well t...