Hyperlinking to External Files

Greetings.  I have Excel 2007 and Windows XP. I am using a worksheet in Excel
as a hyperlink storage bin (containing links to external files).  I realize
there are many other programs that might be more suitable for this purpose,
but I'd rather keep all these file links in Excel (conveniently with all my
other other stuff). I'd rather not use OneNote (or AskSam, UltraRecall,
ConectedText, etc.), though they could do the job I'm sure.

In certain cells I have as I said above hyperlinks that link to many
(relatively small) external files (including pdfs). When I click on the
hyperlink in an Excel cell the file opens (pdfs open very slowly, as you
know). If the links are to files from MS Word 2007, these files take far too
long to open. I was wondering if the experts out there could give me the
names of programs that could open linked files (containing rft material and
various content copied from the web) very quickly when clicked from within
Excel?  I keep all these various files in one folder.  I hope this question
doesn't appear to simple-minded.

Regards, Rebecca

0
Rebecca (144)

"Rebecca" wrote:

> Greetings.  I have Excel 2007 and Windows XP. I am using a worksheet in Excel
> as a hyperlink storage bin (containing links to external files).  I realize
> there are many other programs that might be more suitable for this purpose,
> but I'd rather keep all these file links in Excel (conveniently with all my
> other other stuff). I'd rather not use OneNote (or AskSam, UltraRecall,
> ConectedText, etc.), though they could do the job I'm sure.
>
> In certain cells I have as I said above hyperlinks that link to many
> (relatively small) external files (including pdfs). When I click on the
> hyperlink in an Excel cell the file opens (pdfs open very slowly, as you
> know). If the links are to files from MS Word 2007, these files take far too
> long to open. I was wondering if the experts out there could give me the
> names of programs that could open linked files (containing rft material and
> various content copied from the web) very quickly when clicked from within
> Excel?  I keep all these various files in one folder.  I hope this question
> doesn't appear to simple-minded.
>
> Regards, Rebecca

(arrrgggghhhhh - this is my 3rd attempt in as many days to respond to your
question - the system seems bound and determined not to let me).

First - the question is not simple-minded, it is a honest request for some
insight as to how things work and how you might get them to work better.

Bottom line - you're probably not going to easily get an improvement in
performance in opening hyperlinked files.  I'll try to explain in basic terms
what has to happen to get a hyperlinked file open and we'll explore where the
bottlenecks could be in doing so.

You click a hyperlink and the system has to figure out where the file is,
what type of file it is and what program should be used to open it.  Then
that other program has to be started and the file to be opened has to be
passed to it as the one to open.

Each file type (.rtf, .doc, .xls, .jpg, .pdf, etc) has a specific file
associated with it to be used to open and work with them.  Typically in a
system with Office on it, Word is used for both .rtf and .doc files, Excel
for .xls files; while various graphic files will be opened with some graphic
viewer/editor, and .pdf files are normally opened with either Adobe Acrobat
or Adobe Acrobat Reader.  If you could find files that both opened faster and
opened the file to be viewed faster you'd have to change the file
associations and then you run into the problem of what to do when your really
want to edit/work with the type of file in question.

Next, how fast a program opens depends a lot on the program itself, the
computer it is running on (CPU speed, memory installed, disk space available,
location of the program [local or remote], etc) and where the file to be
opened is located, its size and the speed of data transfer if it is on a
network or the internet.  Any one of these factors can cause a bottleneck of
varying size.

In general, I've had a definite perception that Office 2007 programs open
slower than earlier versions.  This is true of Word, Excel and Outlook which
are the 3 2007 applications I use the most.  You can try to determine how
much overhead is being created when opening a file via a hyperlink by making
timing tests of opening the file via hyperlink and when opening it by
locating the file and double-clicking on it.

Try timing the opening of several different type files via hyperlink from
Excel.  Then I would reset the computer to clear any files that might be
cached locally and then try timing the opening of the same files by locating
them in Windows Explorer or your web browser and double-clicking them to open
them.  If many are on the internet, I'd run several tests to get an average
time.  The difference in time is the overhead being added by opening them via
hyperlink within Excel.

"Rebecca" wrote:

> Greetings.  I have Excel 2007 and Windows XP. I am using a worksheet in Excel
> as a hyperlink storage bin (containing links to external files).  I realize
> there are many other programs that might be more suitable for this purpose,
> but I'd rather keep all these file links in Excel (conveniently with all my
> other other stuff). I'd rather not use OneNote (or AskSam, UltraRecall,
> ConectedText, etc.), though they could do the job I'm sure.
>
> In certain cells I have as I said above hyperlinks that link to many
> (relatively small) external files (including pdfs). When I click on the
> hyperlink in an Excel cell the file opens (pdfs open very slowly, as you
> know). If the links are to files from MS Word 2007, these files take far too
> long to open. I was wondering if the experts out there could give me the
> names of programs that could open linked files (containing rft material and
> various content copied from the web) very quickly when clicked from within
> Excel?  I keep all these various files in one folder.  I hope this question
> doesn't appear to simple-minded.
>
> Regards, Rebecca

pst files #12
I just read that pst files should only be stored on the user's hard drive and not on a network drive. Does it make a difference if the network drive is a mapped drive? Mary Gudobba wrote: > I just read that pst files should only be stored on the user's hard > drive and not on a network drive. Does it make a difference if the > network drive is a mapped drive? You can certainly store a /backup/ copy of your pst file on a nretwork drive: - the theory about storing pst files that are in use is that Outlook requires read/write access to the file and if the network connec...

Opening excel files
Hi We have a problem that when a user opens up a file from the desktop or toolbar he gets an error message unable to open file or one of its components. Yet if he opens excel then opens the file from within excel the file open OK. Any ideas would be great. Thanks Shona Go to Tools > Options > General (tab) and make sure "Ignore other applications" is not checked. Other possibility... Go to Start > Run and type in this command: Excel /regserver (note - there is a space before the forward slash) If you receive an error, you may need to browse to Excel.exe and incl...

Output data to file in Fortran 6F10.3 format
I'm a new to writing Excel macros and have hit a bit of a wall. I'm using Excel to pre-process data for an old Fortran Application. I requires a .dat file containing a preamble and then data in a 6F10. format. The Excel data I want to write to the file is formatted as Number wit 3 decimals (+ or -). I have a macro that creates the file and preamble I can read all the data, but I'm having trouble getting the 6 column of F10.3 to format properly. The blank spaces are 'space' (Chr32). Th negative sign is left of the most significant figure, not to the lef of the field. A...

word/excel file in public folder can't access via owa2003?
Hi, I have directly placed some word/excel files into a PF and can open them fine in outlook2003. In OWA2003 however i get a HTTP 403 (Forbidden) error "You are not authorized to view this page" Has anyone come accross this before and is there a resolution for this, except from "right click save the file to local"? Many thanks! P.S. Exch2003sp1 in FE+BE settings, both on w2k3 server (no sp). It is blocked by the urlscan.ini. See the below link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823175 Cheers, Raymond "Leemutpo" wrote: > Hi, ...

Cannot delete word file
Using Word 2007. I have a .doc (old style) file that I have been editing and it got caught in a quick power blip, but enough of one to cause my Windows 2007 system to reboot. Suprisingly Word 2007 recovered the text when I opened the program. I immediately attempted to save the document but Word would not do so and I was forced to save the document under a new name. After exiting Word, I attempted to delete the old document, but that failed with a message that the file was still open in Word. It was not. Even after a reboot I was unable to delete the file never having opened Wor...

Corrupt PST file
Hello, Is there anyway to "un" corrupt a PST file? Thank you! In article <e9C00tYRDHA.2408@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, jdaw@stantonstreetgroup.com says... > Hello, > > Is there anyway to "un" corrupt a PST file? > > Thank you! > > > Run scanpst.exe -- (I may be wrong...I usually am....) Google is your Friend Email address deliberately false to avoid spam: www.gbpcomputing.co.uk Run the repair file scanpst.exe against the pst file You can run a search on your C drive and should be able to find it. Good Luck >-----Original Message-...

Outlook File Attachment Based on Contact Name
I'm an Access developer and have limited experience with Outlook development, so hoping someone can help here. I'll Try to explain this as best as I can. When the client selects a a contact to send a message to, I need all information pertaining to that client to be displayed in the e-mail or as a file attachment. The information will come from an outside file that will be generated from a database. I thought of a few possible ways of doing this but I'm really not to familiar with Outlook, so if anyone has better suggestions, I'd love to hear them. First I thought if ...

GP 9.0 Integration Manager sample case files
Can anyone help me get my hands on the sample data for the case labs? I was able to download the manual (from Microsoft Dynamics PartnerSource – Home – Training Materials – MBS Training & Certifications Link is https://mbs.microsoft.com/CMS/Templates/site/DLPP.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7b4C1D48FA-4A70-4F7F-8A28-1D1C8B2F149D%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fpartnersource%2fcommunities%2ftraining%2ftrainingmaterials%2fstudent&NRCACHEHINT=Guest) but no one can figure out how to get the sample data. If I can't download it, do you know if I buy the Instructor Manual, would I ...

Hyperlink Error
I am trying to link to a file on a network share. I have located the file i want and hve set it as the hyperlink (the address appears with backslashes i.e. c:\\mydocuments\main.html) but when i exit the "edit hyperlink" box and try to link to the file it gives me this error "Cannot link to the specified file". When i go to edit hyperlink to check it, the backslashes have been changed to forward slashes, i.e. c://mydocuments/main.html). Does anyone know how to stop the backslashes changing to forward slashes??? ...

Help with hyperlink
Hi, Someone else posted a topic a while ago that is similiar to something I would like to do - but not quite! (Topic is now close by a moderator as it was in 2004). The original post was - " Is it there a formula, that if you click on a Cell, you automatically go to another Cell in that worksheet? (without using a macro?) And the reply suggested using - =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",C5),C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",sheetone!C5),sheetone!C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet two'!C5),'sheet t...

Microsoft 2000 saving a file
I cannot save a file to my E: drive or portable thumb drive. I either receive one of two messages. (1) Word cannot continue the save do to a file permission error or (2) file or directory cannot be created. I can save to the hard drive not to the traveldrive. HELP Sure doesn't sound like a Microsoft Access Database issue. HTH -- -Larry- -- "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5F7576EA-1F48-45F7-BCF7-39F7BE5954FC@microsoft.com... > I cannot save a file to my E: drive or portable thumb drive. I either > receive one of two messages. (1...

Custom Entity
Hi, I have a custom entity and I need the ability to be able to input a file location on a server and make it link to that file. Is it possible to have links to file in a custom entity? P.S. (CRM 4.0) Regards Ian The only method to attach file to CRM records using customization is by using notes. If you want to have a file upload box on the entity form you will have to create a custom aspx page which handles the file upload and retrieval. This page can be integrated into the entity form using an IFrame. -- Patrick Verbeeten (MCPD) CRM/.NET Consultant Aviva IT Tools for CRM Dev...

Byte[] and File
Hello, I am saving some data on a XML file (txt, jpg, ...) in byte[] format along with other information. To avoid having a XML file to big can I create individual files for that data? I mean, when I insert some binary data on the XML file that data, whatever it will be, would be saved in a file. Then when I retrieve that node on the XML file I will get the byte[] data from the individual file associated with that node. I could have a Key value (Guid) on each node of XML file to reference that individual file which filename could also be that Guid value. And what would be this...

Outllook 2002 pst. data file retrieval problem
I was backing up my data file and when I returned to outlook all my emails for the past week had disappeared. I then went to open the pst. file and it won't let me open it - I am advised to go to the microsoft website (useless) or use another program to open it - none of which work. does anyone know how i can retrieve the lost emails or get into the pst. data file? Thanks, Katie Where did you store the backup? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my perso...

Interaction between outlook and external application
Hi everybody, I know that this could not be the proper newsgroup, but I had no answer from dotnet.general... I'm programming an application (using Visual C# .NET) that has to create a .zip file, open a "compose new message" window in the default e-mail client application and automatically attach the .zip file to the message. Everything works perfectly if the default e-mail client is Outlook Express (or Netscape Mail), while an error occurs if the client is Outlook. (I've tried Outlook2000 and Outlook2003). After some testing I found out that the problem is related t...

Money 2004-unable to export OFC file upon installation of Money2004 Deluxe
We have used a trial version of Money 2004 and were able to export our bank's account information into an hbexport.ofc file prior to importing it into our Money program. Since installing Money 2004 Deluxe since our trial version ended we have not been able to save the exported OFC file. We will submit the export history information as usual, but then a dialog box flashes rapidly on the screen and closes before we can tell the program where to save the file to be imported into our money program. We believe it is a changed configuration problem, but haven't been able to correct the di...

Editing hyperlink with find and replace
When I use find and replase to edit multiple hyperlinks in a Excel sheet (linking to another workbook and sheet1) to link to sheet2 instead, the hyperlink changes on screen but proforms exactly the same (links to sheet1). How do I get to do what I want? I'm not exactly clear on what the problem is but, fwiw, the usual way to change links is via Edit, Links, Change Source. -- Jim "Trevor B" <Trevor B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62D3DB28-FF74-4722-AFEF-C26C5320487E@microsoft.com... | When I use find and replase to edit multiple hyperlinks in a E...

Corrupted PST file
situation as follows; 1. from notebook, copied PST file to CD (using Nero) 2. open PST at home PC, using open PST file...; error msg "not valid PST file" 3. use scanpst.exe utility ... same msg "not valid PST valid" 4. tried import command in Outlook... same msg "not valid PST valid" what gives? TMT You either burned the data too fast (PST files don't like to be burned above 4x) and/or you didn't check the option to remove the ";1" from the file names in Nero's options dialog. -- Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account w...

xls file blown up?
Hi, I have an xls file that has become very large. When I saved the file 2003-12-09 it was approx 350KB. When I saved it the 10th it was over 3MB. I have NOT added anything put a small amount of text and numbers to the file between those two dates. Does anyone know if it is possible to shrunk the file again? Regards, Tobbe G�rdner Hi Try to save it to another name (Save As) -- (When sending e-mail, use address arvil@tarkon.ee) Arvi Laanemets "Tobias G�rdner" <tobias.gardner@ericsson.com> wrote in message news:br94fj$ofv$1@newstree.wise.edt.ericsson.se... > Hi, &g...

Importing text files with mathematical characters
I am importing text files to Excel and they contain mathematical operators as part of the data. (For example "++" to denote a quantity of something.) Excel will not allow these characters as it thinks they are mathematical. Is there any way of stopping this happening? Thanks in advance "The Beckster" <The Beckster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07D6533B-0C29-4287-9ECE-A337DE39DB8D@microsoft.com... > I am importing text files to Excel and they contain mathematical operators as > part of the data. (For example "++" to denote a quant...

jpeg files in excel
I bought a new computer and now when I click on a hyperlink to a jpg file it opens in MSIE. I prefer the way it worked on my old computer where the file was opened by Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. How can i change this? Thanks Andre wines@sasktel.net Andre kind of Off Topic ? Ah well. If you are using XP, go to Explorer and select Tools | Folder Opions... | File Types tab | select the .JPG extension in the list of "Registered file types" and in the "Details for" section Change the file it is opened with. You should get a list of programs with the recommended p...

restoring system data from external HD .bkf files
Hello My OS is Windows XP Media edition 2005. I recently reformatted my HD and now I am trying to restore my Office Outlook files (.pst) plus system settings. I have been only able to access personal files and folders. I really need the ..pst files. When I run the backup - restore wizard the check marks appear on the two "C" drives, out of 14,471 MB on the external HD, only about 350 MB are restored, the field "processed" reads "0" How can I restore the rest of my system from the external HD? Thanks -- Zubenelshamali On Thu, 27 May 2010 14:53:4...

Putting a Page Skip in a txt File?
I'm sending text lines to a txt file and would like to skip to another page at times. What sequence of characters do I need to do that? I tried a simple chr(12), but that did nothing on either of two printers I tried. W. eWatson wrote: > I'm sending text lines to a txt file and would like to skip to another > page at times. What sequence of characters do I need to do that? I tried > a simple chr(12), but that did nothing on either of two printers I tried. There are no pagination boundaries in a *text* file. If you look at an ASCII character chart, none of the...

Single File/Filegroup Restore Failing
I'm missing something here but haven't figured it out so, I could use some help. I have a test database (TestDB1) with four filegroups, each filegroup has just one file. If I take full backups of the primary and remaing filegroups and then restore as another database with different name (TestDB2), that works. Here's the problem: I insert new data in TestDB1 ... one row added to filegroup #2, for example ... and then take a diff' backup of filegroup #2 and then a log backup. Now, I have a full, diff, and log backup of filegroup #2 of which when I go to resto...

Adding phone numbers thru a CSV file
Is it possible to add all my organizations phone numbers through a CSV file? I keep getting errors when I try it and it is getting frustrating. Please help - running Exchange 5.5. Andres "Andres Perales" <andres@andresperales.com> wrote: >Is it possible to add all my organizations phone numbers through a CSV file? Yes. >I keep getting errors when I try it and it is getting frustrating. Please >help - running Exchange 5.5. What sort of errors? Can you post the header record and a couple of rows of data from that file? -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP M...