How to: text color depend on value

Anyone know how to make the text change colors, depending on what valu
certain data is? I'm sure it's easy...

--
bobsmith58
bobsmith58d's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1452

bobsmith58d Wrote:
> Anyone know how to make the text change colors, depending on what valu
> certain data is? I'm sure it's easy....

Go to Format/Cells/Custom and inside the "Type" box,  choose the forma
that will suit your application.

Hope this will help you

--
BenjieLo

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26148

Perhaps conditional formatting would be a better option <g>

This example assumes you want to conditionally format
an adjacent cell if a certain trigger condition
is activated in another "target" cell

Assume you want to conditionally format B1 to display
the font in red & bolded, if the number in A1 exceeds 10
(A1 will be the "target" cell here)

In B1, you might typed have a text-phrase
relevant to the number in A1, e.g.: "Alert!"

Try this:

Select B1

Click Format > Conditional Formatting

Under Condition 1, make the settings:
Formula Is| =$A$1>10
Click Format button > Font tab > red/bold > OK

Click OK at the main dialog

The text-phrase in B1 will then appear
with font in red & bolded
whenever the trigger condition is activated
i.e. A1 > 10

(Test this out by inputting some numbers in A1)
--
Rgds
Max

http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=11019
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=261487

0
demechanik (4694)
9/20/2004 4:10:13 AM
And for some examples of specifying colour in number formats, see Jon
Peltier's web site:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/NumberFormats.html

BenjieLop wrote:
> bobsmith58d Wrote:
>
>>Anyone know how to make the text change colors, depending on what value
>>certain data is? I'm sure it's easy....
>

> Go to Format/Cells/Custom and inside the "Type" box,  choose the format
> that will suit your application.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Stacked Columns
I would like to insert a data label showing the sum for each column when using the stacked column chart in Excel. I can only insert data labels showing the values of the subparts of each column, not the value of the column itself. What to do? Carl - Add one more series, which uses these totals for its values. Right click on the series, select Chart Type, then choose a Line style for this series. Double click on the series, on the Data Labels tab, select Show Values, and on the Patterns tab, select None for Line and for Marker. Finally, double click on the labels, click on the Alignme...

_WIN32_WINNT value causes a VS2008 compile erroir
I just installed VS2008. On compiling there is an error from the setting of _WIN32_WINNT. #if ((_WIN32_WINNT < _WIN32_WINNT_WIN2K) && (_WIN32_IE > _WIN32_IE_IE60SP1)) .... #endive The values of the variables are as follows: _WIN32_WINNT is 0x0400 _WIN32_WINNT_WIN2K is 0x0500 _WIN32_IE is 0x0700 _WIN32_IE_IE60SP1 is 0x0601 I'm setting _WIN32_WINNT to the 0x0400 but the other entities are set in sdkddkver.h and afxv_w32.h. I'm not sure why I used the 0x0400 but my note says this define is needed to make the (which?) dialog work on Win98 machines. It was set someti...

attachments in rich text
i cannot send attachments in rich text, why? Don't know. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Andy asked: | i cannot send attachments in rich text, why? Rich text needs to be supported by the receiving mail client and mailserver as well. Otherwise you'll end up with a winmail.dat attachment or nothing at all. For more info see; http://www.howt...

Text File using MACRO
Hello, I will appreciate if someone assist me in order to solve the following problem. I want to read an operating system file from EXCEL sheet. The information in this text file appended each day. That&#8217;s why I want to use Macro to read this text file which is located on c:\SEDAN\INFO\Mit.log. What steps should I follow in order to read this text file using MACRO. Each time when I run the MACRO it refreshes the information from the text file and display its information into Excel sheet. Could you please check that matter and give me its solution? Regards David. Start a new workb...

getting TEXT of an xslt.transform
On my page right now, I call a function: <%=getMenu()%> in my codebehind, I have the function do an xslt transformation: sub xslt.Transform(doc, xslArg, Response.Output, Nothing) end sub Instead of calling the function directly on the main page, I now want to just place a literal on the page and set the literal's text via codebehind. However, I can't seem to do this: ltl_menu.Text = xslt.Transform(doc, xslArg, Response.Output, Nothing) As the 'expression does not return a value'. How can one get the result of the text as a string? -Darrel Hello! > lt...

Check a range for a value
I have what seems a pretty straightforward question - How, in *one* formula, can I check a range for a value? i.e. Check whether any cell in the range A1:A9000 contains a zero,and return 'Yes'. Any help greatly appreciated......Jason Something like this will do it: =IF(COUNTIF(A1:A9000,0)>0,"Yes","No") and will not count blanks as equivalent to zero. Hope this helps. Pete On Nov 23, 12:41 am, Jay <s...@dummyaddress.spam.com> wrote: > I have what seems a pretty straightforward question - > > How, in *one* formula, can I check a range for a ...

#VALUE! error when I try to insert a row
I have created a spreadsheet that I seem to be receiving an odd error in an intermittent manner. I have a formula =IF(ISTEXT($S9),DetermineValue(L9),0) that totally works, where DetermineValue is a function I created that returns an integer. I populate the same tab with input data, and the formula above and function performs 100% correctly. (no array formulas or anything too exotic) - This is done in Tab B. S9 cell is populated using a vlookup that references a range in Tab A that always populates correctly. On another tab (Tab A), when I create a brand new row, well below the range that ...

How to determine the values? 12-11-09
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to determine the values? There are lists of number under column T and U. For example, I would like to determine the number of occurrence, if any 28 under T column contains 1 under U column, then return the occurrence under column Y, On following formula, it does not work, does anyone have any suggestions on what wrong it is? =SUMPRODUCT((28=T2:T1252)*(1=U2:U1252),1) Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric [T] [U] 28 1 32 2 33 2 34 1 35 1 28 3 32 3 33 5 34 4 35 5 28 1 32 5 33 4 34 3 35 2 28 1 32 5 33 4 34 3 3...

MFC and run-time lib dependencies
Hi, I am working on an installer (InstallShield X), and have come across a situation where I have dependencies on two different versions of the VC run-time libraries. My application requires the VC 7 run-time libraries, but a copy-protection product I use has a dependency on MFC 6.0, which in turn depends on the VC 6 run-time libraries. I'm wondering how best to resolve this...? Do I need to include in my installer both the VC6 and VC7 run-time library redistributables? Or, can I substitute the MFC 7.0 merge module (for the MFC 6.0 one), and thus only use the VC7 run-ti...

Text boxes not printing...in Word 2007
When placing a text box over an image - it shows in the Word document. But when printing, it either does not print the text at all or only prints a few characters. I'm running Word 2007. Thank You Constance At Office Button | Word Options | Display, make sure you have "Print drawings created in Word" checked. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "caharbin" <caharbin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52724686-D7AC-4146-9414-60712CFEF672@microsoft.com... > ...

How do I control a text box via another combo box
I have read through dsome o the other answers and I just can't seem to get it. I have a table called employee information. Within that table are two fields. Retail Title and Retail Incentive. I have a form with a combo box for the the Retail Title. This field looks to a table called Retial titles which is two fields...Title and Incentive What I want to do is have it so when I choose a title in the form it populates the incentive in another text box. The combo box column count = 2 What should by settings be for my text box?(That of course if I should be using a t...

Background color issue
Hi, I have a background color set for my tri-fold brochure, but it doesn't cover the whole page (8 1/2 X 11)?!? There is white space that surrounds my background. Any ideas why? Thanks, Scott It is the limitation of your printer's default margin. Look at your documentation... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Scott" <wsb@transworldhealth.com> wrote in message news:09ff01c4ff1b$31c6f9a0$3501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have a background color set for my tri-fold brochure, but > it doe...

Can not see CString's value when debugging
I'm very sure I'm in the CString's life scope, but I can not see its value but only some "???". Any other type of variables are ok. But some days ago, in the same project, I can see CString's value when debugging. So, what's wrong of CString in debug mode? Now I nearly can't do the debugging job! >So, what's wrong of CString in debug mode? It's a limitation of the debugger. Newer versions of CString have optimisations for the storage of small/long strings that the debugger doesn't cater for :( Dave ...

Skip pattern based on text box value
Hi, I have a text control. People will be typing either words or numbers into it. If they type 99 I want to skip down several questions. Here's the condition for my macro: [Forms]![frmFB213]![FB215]=99 The action is 'Go to control' and the control name points to question FB229. I've put my macro in the AfterUpdate section, but nothing is happening. I'm suspecting this is because the answer is free-text. All my skip patterns based on combo boxes are working well. I've tried putting single and double quotes around the 99, I've tried using the "Like&q...

Case of the weird shrinking combo text
I have seen this problem mentioned once before somewhere on the net - and it's one that hits us from time to time... We have some comboboxes on a worksheet. Just occasionally, for no apparent reason, the text within the comboboxes starts to shrink in size with each click. Eventually it becomes unreadable. Has anyone experienced this and is there a cure? Many thanks to all, Ian Digby -- Work performed in the spirit of service is worship...Baha''i Writings ...

Please Help: Append New text to Old text already present in databa
Hi All, I have an excel form which populates access database. On the form Once we input a student Id in the form, we can input student records and also add comments, after making the changes we click "Submit" and the data goes in the databae. One field that I have on the form is "Comments" Textbox whereTA can insert their comments for any student. Here multiple TA's can comment for one student. The issue I want to resolve is. When a new TA inserts a comment, Old comments are deleted and replaced by the new comments. Is there a way to append new commen...

searching records that use a range for Values
I am trying to figure out the best way to set up tables that have value ranges. This is to be used for entering Plant Information. Heights,etc are typically expressed in ranges, i.e. 10-12', 12-14', 14-16' etc. Sometimes it might be necessary to create an entry where heights are 10-16'. I thought about using 2 fields for each record; "min height" & "max height". I'm concerned about how I would eventually construct a query to search for ranges if this is the proper thing to do. I am not a programmer (I don't know VBA) and do this in my spare tim...

Importing MS Office Excel Comma Separated Values Files into a MS Access 2003 database
Hi, I have been tasked with Importing MS Office Excel Comma Separated Values Files into a MS Access 2003 database. These files were exported from a DB2 database.I have also been given the DDL code. I have Googled a solution to this task and have tried creating these tables using the DDL code in a query within a blank MS Access database. Is there a more expedient way to achieve this? I noticed, for example, that a field in DB2 has a data type of "decimal" while the same field in MS Access 2003 would have the data type of "number". Thanks, Zuf What follows i...

Embedded Text Box
For unknown reason, I had more than 7000 blank text boxes embedded in my spreadsheet. Seemed like one on top of the other. This blew up my file to about 1.44Mb and considerably slowing down the performance. Is there a way to delete those text boxes really quick? Thanks in advance. Evan Hit F5, click on Special, select Objects, click OK, hit delete. Beware - ALL objects will be deleted, so if you've got some that you want to keep, hold down Ctrl and deselect the loved ones. Rgds, ScottO "EK" <EK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1555232-244B-4784-8ECF-...

get the text string appear the most times !
Hi, all ! Sorry abt posting this question many time, but I think I gave a hard understanding question before. In my report, I need to get the value of a group of records that appear the most times. For example: I have a text "Sushi" appears in my report 10 times, "Nobashi" appears 20 times, "shrimp" 5 times ---> my desire that is a textbox show "Nobashi" as result. Hope this way is easer to understand my problem. Any suggestion for this ? Thanks with appreciated of all ur time. Luan. ...

Turning value of formula into actual cell content?
Hi. I've a sheet with a few thousand rows where in column B I need to add a prefix to every value. What I did was in column M fill the cells with the prefix, and made column N a copy of column B. Then in Column B I made the function: =M2&""&N2 and copied it all the way down (with incrementing numerals). That works great. But, I need to be able to copy-n-paste the new prefixed value of some of the cells in column B into another spreadsheet. But when I try, what I'm copying is the formula, not the resulting value. Is there a way to copy the values generated by the formu...

Cell value as chart scale maximum
I have a chart on a worksheet and want to make the Y scale maximum value equal the value of cell Y3 (this is a merged cell range Y3:Y5), rounded up to the next “5” increment. For example, 101% in merged cell Y5 would be 105% in the chart Y scale maximum. How would I do this? Hi Phil - Use the approach I describe here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html but link to CEIL(Y3,0.05) instead of Y3. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Phil Hageman wrote: > ...

Formula view with no resulting value
I've not that experienced in XL-2003 and in older versions I can do this without any extra considerations When I'm entering a standard formula e.g. =today() excell don' other than that. I would have liked to have the number for the date today so that I can compare it with a date from another cell What do I do to make this happen Plleeeease Either you have View Formulas checked in Tools>Options>View or the cells are pre-formatted as text. Hit CRTL + `(above TAB key) to toggle Formula View on/off, if that is the case. If text cells, select the cells and Format as General t...

insert as text (to insert html into email body)
Hi I'm using access to automate outlook to send emails from a query list, I would like to be able to utelise outlooks' insert as text option. I'm unsure as to the actual syntax. Any help would be appreciated. cheers iona ahh, don';t worry i've got it.. Iona wrote: > Hi > > I'm using access to automate outlook to send emails from a query list, > I would like to be able to utelise outlooks' insert as text option. > I'm unsure as to the actual syntax. Any help would be appreciated. > > cheers > iona ...

Help
hi all, I'm looking for a solution to the following problem: E.g. this is text data appearing in one single cell in excel: "Morgan Stanley (Asia) Ltd Cazenove Asia Ltd Morgan Stanley (Asia) Ltd" Would like to to be split into 3 excel rows, showing: Morgan Stanley (Asia) Ltd Cazenove Asia Ltd Morgan Stanley (Asia) Ltd Is this possible? WHat is the function that should be used to automat this process Attachment filename: samplexls.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=44462 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelF...