How to open a file in another window?

Hi All,

Before reinstalling the Ms Office 2007
I was able to open the second, third, etc.
excel files simply by dragging its name
to the Excel icon on the screen. So I had
two or more files in separate windows.
Now it is not possible so using more than
one file in the same time is really difficult.

Could you help me please?

Regards
Tom
0
tom5095 (21)

Review the settings in...   Big Round Button | Excel Options | Advanced | Display (section)
"Show all windows in the Taskbar" should be check marked.

Note:  especially with the low volume of posts, it is not necessary or desirable to post in multiple
groups.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Tom" <tom@tom.com>
wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Before reinstalling the Ms Office 2007
> I was able to open the second, third, etc.
> excel files simply by dragging its name
> to the Excel icon on the screen. So I had
> two or more files in separate windows.
> Now it is not possible so using more than
> one file in the same time is really difficult.
>
> Could you help me please?
>
> Regards
> Tom

Thank you very much.

> Review the settings in...   Big Round Button | Excel Options | Advanced |
> Display (section)
> "Show all windows in the Taskbar" should be check marked.
It is check marked. But it is not the point.
The names of files are on the Taskbar but they can be displayed only
in the same place on the screen. When I klick on one of the names
the another one is dropped onto the taskbar and viceversa.
I can't see content od 2 or more files in the same time. In consequence,
for example, copying from file to file is very difficult.

> Note:  especially with the low volume of posts, it is not necessary
> or desirable to post in multiple groups.
OK. Sorry.

Regards
Tom

>> Hi All,
>>
>> Before reinstalling the Ms Office 2007
>> I was able to open the second, third, etc.
>> excel files simply by dragging its name
>> to the Excel icon on the screen. So I had
>> two or more files in separate windows.
>> Now it is not possible so using more than
>> one file in the same time is really difficult.
>>
>> Could you help me please?
>>
>> Regards
>> Tom

0
tom5095 (21)
3/30/2012 4:22:29 PM
Sounds like previously, you were opening separate instances of Excel.
You may prefer to keep both workbooks displayed in the same window...
With both workbooks open, Go to the Ribbon View tab and in the Windows group and click "View Side by
Side"
Also note the options under "Arrange All" and "Synchronous Scrolling"
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
(XL Companion add-in:  compares, matches, counts, lists, finds, deletes...)

> Thank you very much.
>
>> Review the settings in...   Big Round Button | Excel Options | Advanced | Display (section)
>> "Show all windows in the Taskbar" should be check marked.
> It is check marked. But it is not the point.
> The names of files are on the Taskbar but they can be displayed only
> in the same place on the screen. When I klick on one of the names
> the another one is dropped onto the taskbar and viceversa.
> I can't see content od 2 or more files in the same time. In consequence,
> for example, copying from file to file is very difficult.
>
>> Note:  especially with the low volume of posts, it is not necessary
>> or desirable to post in multiple groups.
> OK. Sorry.
>
> Regards
> Tom
>

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Before reinstalling the Ms Office 2007
>>> I was able to open the second, third, etc.
>>> excel files simply by dragging its name
>>> to the Excel icon on the screen. So I had
>>> two or more files in separate windows.
>>> Now it is not possible so using more than
>>> one file in the same time is really difficult.
>>>
>>> Could you help me please?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Tom

It is diffucult for me to describe my problem precisely.
I want to have 2 Excel files in 2 separate windows,
that's all.
I don't want to have the files in 1 window -  side by side
or one under one.

What is strange for me, I installed the MS Office 2007
4 or 5 times before this time and such problem never
happened.

Regards
Tom

> Sounds like previously, you were opening separate instances of Excel.
> You may prefer to keep both workbooks displayed in the same window...
> With both workbooks open, Go to the Ribbon View tab and in the Windows
> group and click "View Side by Side"
> Also note the options under "Arrange All" and "Synchronous Scrolling"
> --
> Jim Cone
> Portland, Oregon USA
> http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
> (XL Companion add-in:  compares, matches, counts, lists, finds,
> deletes...)
>

> "Tom" <tom@tom.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you very much.
>>
>>> Review the settings in...   Big Round Button | Excel Options | Advanced
>>> "Show all windows in the Taskbar" should be check marked.
>> It is check marked. But it is not the point.
>> The names of files are on the Taskbar but they can be displayed only
>> in the same place on the screen. When I klick on one of the names
>> the another one is dropped onto the taskbar and viceversa.
>> I can't see content od 2 or more files in the same time. In consequence,
>> for example, copying from file to file is very difficult.
>>
>>> Note:  especially with the low volume of posts, it is not necessary
>>> or desirable to post in multiple groups.
>> OK. Sorry.
>>
>> Regards
>> Tom

0
tom5095 (21)
3/30/2012 4:55:16 PM
You might have had some sort of  workspace file.xlw - it displays saved files & window arrangements.
Also,
First... in Excel Options, try check marking "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data
Exchange".
Second... just open two separate instances of Excel and arrange the windows as you like.
Third... there is a method in Windows Explorer in Windows XP to have each file open in a separate
instance of Excel.
'---
Open Windows Explorer
Select �Tools�
Select �Folder Options�
Select the �File Types� Tab
Scroll down and select the appropriate file extension
Click the �Advanced� Button
Select the �Open� action from the list
Click the �Edit�� Button
Where is says �Application used to perform action:�
(make a copy of the existing text and save it)
If not already there, add:
/e �%1?

to the end of the file path
Uncheck the �Use DDE� box
Click OK
Click OK
'---
I've read that the above has been hobbled in Vista and Windows 7 - I am on XP.
If none of the above applies/works then wait for a day to see if others will contribute.  If not
repost in Excel.Misc.
'---
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
(Formats & Styles xl add-in:  lists/removes unused styles & number formats) - free

> It is diffucult for me to describe my problem precisely.
> I want to have 2 Excel files in 2 separate windows,
> that's all.
> I don't want to have the files in 1 window -  side by side
> or one under one.
>
> What is strange for me, I installed the MS Office 2007
> 4 or 5 times before this time and such problem never
> happened.
>
> Regards
> Tom
>
>> Sounds like previously, you were opening separate instances of Excel.
>> You may prefer to keep both workbooks displayed in the same window...
>> With both workbooks open, Go to the Ribbon View tab and in the Windows group and click "View Side
>> by Side"
>> Also note the options under "Arrange All" and "Synchronous Scrolling"
>> --
>> Jim Cone
>> Portland, Oregon USA
>> http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
>> (XL Companion add-in:  compares, matches, counts, lists, finds, deletes...)
>>

>> "Tom" <tom@tom.com> wrote in message
>>> Thank you very much.

>>> It is check marked. But it is not the point.
>>> The names of files are on the Taskbar but they can be displayed only
>>> in the same place on the screen. When I klick on one of the names
>>> the another one is dropped onto the taskbar and viceversa.
>>> I can't see content od 2 or more files in the same time. In consequence,
>>> for example, copying from file to file is very difficult.

>>> OK. Sorry.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Tom

Thank you once again.

> Third... there is a method in Windows Explorer in Windows XP
> to have each file open in a separate instance of Excel.
How to do it?

> Open Windows Explorer
> Select �Tools�
> Select �Folder Options�
> Select the �File Types� Tab
> Scroll down and select the appropriate file extension
> Click the �Advanced� Button
> Select the �Open� action from the list
> Click the �Edit�� Button
> Where is says �Application used to perform action:�
> (make a copy of the existing text and save it)
> If not already there, add:
> /e �%1?
>
> to the end of the file path
> Uncheck the �Use DDE� box
> Click OK
> Click OK
Unfortunately, it didn't help. :-(

I think that the problem is more general and is connected
with dragging and dropping method.
Usually I opened the second file by dragging the name to
the Excel icon. Now instead of oppenning the file,
a mark like this ? near the name of the file occurs.
I noticed that the same happens with Word files.

Regards
Tom

0
tom5095 (21)
3/30/2012 6:16:16 PM
> a mark like this ? near the name of the file occurs.
It is not "?" mark of course. It is a mark of circle
with a line accross,  a ban mark probably.

Tom
0
tom5095 (21)
3/30/2012 6:19:03 PM
> If not already there, add:
> /e �%1?
>
> to the end of the file path
> Uncheck the �Use DDE� box
/e already was there. I added %1 and unchecked the Use DDE.
As I said, it didn't help.
Then I noticed that the Use DDE is all the time checked.

Now it is /e %1 and Use DDE checked and I can't get rid of it.

Regards
Tom

0
tom5095 (21)
3/30/2012 7:13:04 PM
>> If not already there, add:
>> /e �%1?
>>
>> to the end of the file path
>> Uncheck the �Use DDE� box

> /e already was there. I added %1 and unchecked the Use DDE.
> As I said, it didn't help.
> Then I noticed that the Use DDE is all the time checked.
>
> Now it is /e %1 and Use DDE checked and I can't get rid of it.

I got back to the system before the change
so  now I have only /e and checked Use DDE.

Regards
Tom

0
tom5095 (21)
3/30/2012 7:20:45 PM
For the record, something got lost between the sending and the receiving.
That question mark ? on the end should be a quotation mark - so as to read:     /e "%1"
'---
Jim Cone

>>> If not already there, add:
>>> /e �%1?
>>>
>>> to the end of the file path
>>> Uncheck the �Use DDE� box
>
>> /e already was there. I added %1 and unchecked the Use DDE.
>> As I said, it didn't help.
>> Then I noticed that the Use DDE is all the time checked.
>>
>> Now it is /e %1 and Use DDE checked and I can't get rid of it.
>
> I got back to the system before the change
> so  now I have only /e and checked Use DDE.
>
> Regards
> Tom

The below was sent: 2012-03-30  20:19 (+02.00)

> a mark like this ? near the name of the file occurs.
It is not "?" mark of course. It is a mark of circle
with a line accross,  a ban mark probably.

Tom
0
tom5095 (21)
4/1/2012 6:27:13 AM
The problem has been solved!

It didn't work when the shortcut (icon) of Excel
program was made from Start menu.
When I made the shortcut (icon) from .exe file
in Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
everything is OK.

Thank you very much for all your answers.

Regards
Tom
0
tom5095 (21)

Message "class not registered" opening sheet with macros Excel 97
I have created a document with Macros and is password protected. I have sent it to several people who are able to use it - the one who can't is using Excel 97 SP2. They are getting error message "class not registered" - could it be the version they are using and how do I make sure they are able to use it. This could simply be a version issue if you developed on a later version and used controls from that versions object libraries. You should always use the lowest version to develop on. If this is not the case look in the VBE on the faulty machine and check tools>ref...

How do I prevent "Help" from opening when I open Excel?
Whenever I open Excel 2003 the Help feature opens on the right. How do I pevent this? I only want Excel to open with a new sheet. -- Lee P Lee Help or TaskPane. For Help, you should be able to close it using the "x" and next time open Excel should not display. If TaskPane, go to Tools>Options>View and uncheck "Startup Task Pane" Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:05:29 -0800, "Lee P" <LeeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Whenever I open Excel 2003 the Help feature opens on the right. >How do I pevent this? I only want Exce...

Converting XLS file to QIF or to OFX
How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? "dreamchaser" wrote: > How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? In Excel, save the file to CSV and ustilise iCreateOFX Basic from: http://icreateofx.co.uk/Convert-CSV-to-OFX to convert the saved CSV file to OFX. ...

Painting the Blue Gradient BackGround of the Windows TitleBar
Is there any simple way to accomplish this? Never mind. "Peter Olcott" <olcott@att.net> wrote in message news:m8bEg.69$Tl4.40@dukeread06... > Is there any simple way to accomplish this? > > Never mind. How did you achieve it? --- Ajay Just replicate the semi gradient pixels horizontally across the background from the set of fixed values. "Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1155613377.419292.72700@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >> Never mind. > > How did you achieve it? > > --- > Ajay > ...

lost data when opening excel workbooks ; text import wizard popup
When opening many of my excel files ,which all have the same modification date, I come across the text import wizard which states that my text in these files is 'delimited'. All of the files ,including a few word doc.s have had their data changed to show all " y " with two dots above the letter for as far as the eye can see. No import or export has been done with the files and no modifications were done on that date, as far as I know. Is this a corruption problem or is their some 'fix' that I am overlooking. Thanks for any ideas. ...

I am converting lotus123 files to excel2002. One problem is that in lotus, literals are ignored when found in a cell within a formula. Excel on the other hand is not doing this and therefore causing #value errors on all the formulas where this occurs. Is there a way to handle this in excel other than manually having to change all the formulas? ...

cannot open outlook 2000
"this opration has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer" I have already tried the steps listed in MS Knowledge Base article 310049, with no luck. Any other suggestions ? Thanks. ...

windows update 12-25-09
I believe ninety nine percent of the updates failed on my computer. In fact I am unable to download IE8, and several other programs. I am running an IE7 in my computer and I am getting the warning that my os does not support it. What is my operating system? Windows vista basic home, is'nt funny!... Harry Dupre wrote: > I believe ninety nine percent of the updates failed on my computer. > In fact I am unable to download IE8, and several other programs. I > am running an IE7 in my computer and I am getting the warning that > my os does not support it. > > Wh...

How do I get excel files to open automatically from directories?
When I try to open excel files from the directory or from desktop I only get a blank worksheet not the file. I have to then go through File Open to get the file I want. There must be a way to have them open automatically. On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:22:01 -0800, Damian <Damian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I try to open excel files from the directory or from desktop I only get >a blank worksheet not the file. I have to then go through File Open to get >the file I want. > >There must be a way to have them open automatically. Go to Tools -> Options -> Gen...

Not able to open imported accounts 4.0
We have a situation where we've updated a client from 3.0 to CRM 4.0 and have an import that brings in new Accounts. Unfortunately, we can open accounts that don't have a parent account but can't open the parent account itself. In essence, we have two accounts with another one the parent - we can open ones that show the parent, but again, we get an error - see yor administrator. Is there a rights issue or relational setup we're missing. ...

Unable to open Access 95 mdb in Access 97
Hi I am trying to open an old Access 95 mdb in Access 97...I didn't create it but someone who knew the database way back when said that a system.mda file was created for that particular database because it had a lot of personal info in it. (I am not familiar with mda files...the database folder also had a system.ldb file there as well...I deleted that file...but am unsure why it wasn't closed out to begin with) I was able to open Access 97 and repair it...but when I go to open it in Access 97...I get an Automation Error...Cannot find VEENLR3.hlp file. Do you think it may ha...

Start Outlook 2003 at windows startup??
Hi, I have a simple question: how do I have Outlook 2003 started automatically and minimized to system tray at windows startup? Thanks in advance edomonet@libero.it <edomonet@libero.it> wrote: > how do I have Outlook 2003 started automatically and minimized to > system tray at windows startup? Put a shortcut to it in your Startup program group. However, I don't believe it will start minimized. -- Brian Tillman It's better to put a shortcut in your Quick Launch bar or you will get errors if OL loads too soon before your connection and antivirus. You can customiz...

Service Pack Installation Issues with GP 9.00.0247.0 on Windows Vi
Greetings, I have installed Great Plains v9.00.0114.0 on Windows Vista. I ran the installation package MicrosoftDynamicsGP-KB923671-v9-ENU, but receive the following messages with result of a failed installation of the Service Pack. Log Name: Application Source: MsiInstaller Date: 10/8/2007 11:50:13 AM Event ID: 11729 Task Category: None Level: Information Keywords: Classic User: ABR\administrator Computer: AD088.abr Description: Product: Microsoft Dynamics GP 9.0 -- Configuration failed. Event Xml: <Event xmlns="http://schemas...

Odd problem with worksheets when opening file
Okay, here's the odd problem that's come up. When you double click on a excel file, excel opens up, but you can onl see the toolbars. The grid area looks like a snapshot of whatever you current background is before the file opened up. If you were showin your desktop, after the excel file opened, you'd still see your deskto in the datagrid area. If you start up a new excel file, then do the File>Open>file name, th file will open correctly. This problem happens across users here. Everyone is currently runnin office 2K. Any ideas on what causes the problem and any...

Outlook 2002 multiple file opening
In Outlook 2000, CTRL A would select all attached picture files, then Open would, in my case, open the files in Paintshop Pro. With the 2002 version I cannot find a way to do this. Any suggestions? ...

"File: send to mail recipient" not working
When users (on WinXP) select file, "send to mail recipient", no response from Outlook 2002. This occurs either when Outlook is open or closed. Problem happens when rt. clicking on .doc, .xls, .pdf's....all files. Any ideas?? Thanks!! ...

Update another CPropertySheet page
I have a program which contains 3 CPropertySheet pages. When I add the change the value in Page 1, then it should automatically update a corresponding field in the Page 2. How can I access from one page to another? Thanks. Yan yan wrote: > I have a program which contains 3 CPropertySheet pages. When I add the > change the value in Page 1, then it should automatically update a > corresponding field in the Page 2. How can I access from one page to > another? > > Thanks. > > Yan > > You cannot do that. When you change a value in Page 1 there are cases ...

Locks up when clicking on links in open web pages
I don't know if I'm posting this in the correct discussion group, and if not, sorry for the trouble. Could you direct me if I'm wrong? The issue is that the internet connection locks up if I click on a link or attempt to print from within an open website. It does not happen each time, but often enough to make me want to pull my hair! I have to shut down the connection - the message says it is 'not responding,' and reconnect, sometimes 2 or 3 times, to be able to use the link from the website. I have a second laptop, and it doesn't have this problem. ...

Can Work thread get a windows class and manipulate it?
Suppose that I create a work thread when my dialog box started, then in the thread I get the pointer to the dialog mfc class and call updateData method. Does that work? I tried, but failed. Is there any other way to do? thanks!! No, it won't work, don't even waste time trying. It is almost guaranteed to fail. You do not manipulate the windows owned by one thread from a different thread. What you do is PostMessage requests from the worker thread to the main UI thread, usually to the window that contains the controls. The fact that you are using UpdateData already says you are in t...

When I open a workbook, another one called Book1 is also opened. W
This Book1 becomes the current book. If I go to Window on the toolbar I can switch to my correct workbook. Why is this Book1 being opened? I can cure it by closing Book1, then saving my correct workbook, then closing that one. The next time I open my workbook, Book1 has disappeared. Do you mean two different sheets within the same workbook? "Ian@MarlandLtd" wrote: > This Book1 becomes the current book. If I go to Window on the toolbar I can > switch to my correct workbook. Why is this Book1 being opened? I can cure it > by closing Book1, then saving my correct workbo...

odd files created
Every time I open and edit an excel spreadsheet on a network share, small odd files get created. They are usually no larger than 25-40k and don't have any extensions to them. Looking at the properties page for any file, the file description says File. Anyone know what this is from or how to get rid of them? Permissions are setup correctly for me, Word files don't have this behavior. Excel 2000 SP3 Thanks, Hi Brian, A file the same size as the workbook would be created in the same directory as the workbook. The filename would be nonsensical (or appear to be random) character...

Excel Template Wizard, Very Large File Size
Background: Excel 2000. I created a spreadsheet and used the template wizard that links to an Access 2000 database. The template was later used to create one record and saved as a spreadsheet. The database also contains this one record. Spreadsheet and database work fine. Later I reduced the Access field size properties (none are larger than 150, most are less than 50). There are 35 fields. Unexpected result: The Excel spreadsheet (template) and the linked Access database are huge. The spreadsheet is 35MB and the associated Access 2000 database is 24MB. Each contains one record (a si...

Book problems and solution for windows 7 09-23-10
Book problems and solution for windows 7 SBN: 978-1-4461-4031-4 / Copyright: ilias el issaoui / Language: English /page : 460 / file : pdf This book takes you step by step to a new world. The world of Windows 7, even if the new system were not know how to use it. Explain everything to you in pictures. You do not need to for a long time to learn In order not to remain afraid of not being able to follow up on your friends, neighbors or family members Problems and solutions for Windows 7 Is a book for all. To small and great. Anyone who wants to learn Do not miss the opportuni...

Date & Time file was last saved
Is there away to display in a cell the date & time the file was last saved? I know you can do this in word but is it possible in Excel 2002? Here is an UDF Function DocProps(prop As String) application.volatile On Error GoTo err_value DocProps = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties(prop) Exit Function err_value: DocProps = CVErr(xlErrValue) End Function Now you can use the following formula in one of your cells: =DocProps("Last save time") Obviously, the file has to have been saved. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to ...

ver 2007 will not open
When I click on the Word shortcut the cursor spins and nothing happens. When I click on an existing Word document I get the error "Windows can not find 'C:\Users\... filename.docx'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." Things I've tried: Logging on with a different user account The Microsoft "Fix It" tool Starting in Safe Mode Using the "docx.txt and renaming to .reg file" Changing the default printer .... but nothing has worked. Other Info: OS: Vista Home Premium SP1 Microsoft Office 2007 Student & Home...