how to make cells automatically format to entered text size?

hello,

i am new to excel and i would like to have it resize the cells automatically
to the size of the text i entered. i know if i click on a cell and do format -
line break it does it for one cell. but how can i have excel do this
automatically for every cell in every workbook?

thanks

Frank Barenhorst
email: frank.barenhorst@mailshelter.de

Frank

Hit CRTL + A to select all cells.

Format>Alignment>Wrap Text.

To make this the default for all new workbooks and sheets....

Open a new workbook.  Customize as you wish.  File>Save As Type:  scroll down
to Excel Template(*.XLT) and select.  Name your workbook "BOOK"(no quotes).
Excel will add the .XLT to save as BOOK.XLT.

Store this workbook in the XLSTART folder usually located at........

 C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

This will be the default workbook for File>New>Workbook.

You can also open a new workbook and delete all but one sheet.  Customize as
you wish then save this as SHEET.XLT in XLSTART folder also.  It now becomes
the default Insert>Sheet.

More can be found on this in Help under "templates"(no quotes).

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:25:35 +0200, Frank Bahrenhorst
<frank.bahrenhorst@mailshelter.de> wrote:

>hello,
>
>i am new to excel and i would like to have it resize the cells automatically
>to the size of the text i entered. i know if i click on a cell and do format -
>line break it does it for one cell. but how can i have excel do this
>automatically for every cell in every workbook?
>
>thanks
>

>Frank Barenhorst
>email: frank.barenhorst@mailshelter.de

0
Gord
6/28/2004 9:41:15 PM
Hello Gord,

thank you very much, it works great!

Gord Dibben wrote:

> Frank
>
> Hit CRTL + A to select all cells.
>
> Format>Alignment>Wrap Text.
>
> To make this the default for all new workbooks and sheets....
>
> Open a new workbook.  Customize as you wish.  File>Save As Type:  scroll down
> to Excel Template(*.XLT) and select.  Name your workbook "BOOK"(no quotes).
> Excel will add the .XLT to save as BOOK.XLT.
>
> Store this workbook in the XLSTART folder usually located at........
>
>  C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
>
> This will be the default workbook for File>New>Workbook.
>
> You can also open a new workbook and delete all but one sheet.  Customize as
> you wish then save this as SHEET.XLT in XLSTART folder also.  It now becomes
> the default Insert>Sheet.
>
> More can be found on this in Help under "templates"(no quotes).
>
> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:25:35 +0200, Frank Bahrenhorst
> <frank.bahrenhorst@mailshelter.de> wrote:
>

>>hello,
>>
>>i am new to excel and i would like to have it resize the cells automatically
>>to the size of the text i entered. i know if i click on a cell and do format -
>>line break it does it for one cell. but how can i have excel do this
>>automatically for every cell in every workbook?
>>
>>thanks
>>

>>Frank Barenhorst
>>email: frank.barenhorst@mailshelter.de

Font Sizing
I am visually impaired. I would like to increase font size in the IN-box window where the From: Subject: and Received: columns are listed. I have been able to increase font size to read the body of the e-mail and can compose e-mail with larger font - just would like to increase font size for the incoming message headers. Please write to me at: johnw@winserv.com if you can help. thank you in advance. John Depending on your version of Outlook, View->Current View->Customize Current View->Other Settings. You can customize the Fonts from there. --� Milly Staples [MVP...

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Global Column Row Preview Font Size

Single click selects multiple cells

Non-VBA way of making custom menus.

Fractions Number format

Referencing cells across sheets

How to unlock locked cells by MACRO?!

parameter for text

macros entering data

Sizing drop down validation box
I have a form with lots of drop down validation boxes, many of them are Yes,No,N/A or Pass,Fail,N/A so one a narrow box is required but all the drop downs are about three inches wide. Once I accidentally go them to the right size and saved the file, closed it, then re-opened and the drop downs were really wide again. Does anyone know have to set the width, I always thought they were the same width as the cell they pop from but not the case. Wayman Those extra wide dropdown lists appear occasionally, usually if cells on the worksheet have been merged (not necessarily the cell with t...

Date format 04-11-06

Function to determine Directory Size
I'd like to be able to determine the size of a directory or group of files. Does anyone know of an add-in that has a function whereby I can specify a path and get the size of directory of groups of files as the return value? Ex: =dirsize("C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\My Documents\School") =dirsize("C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\My Documents\School\*.doc") It would also be helpful if there were an option to include subdirectories. -- Thanks, Bob Chmara Argh.... Make that "get the size of a directory or group of files" Bob "Bob Chmara" fatfing...

CRM Email Displays Size=2>