How to do a work graph in MS Excel?

How do give single letters numerical equivalent? (MS Excel) im trying to do a
work graph.
I have filled some cols and rows like that
Example:
            |   Date   |   |   Date   |   |   Date   |   |   Date   | {etc}
        |Working hours
Name     1.th june     2.th june      3.th june      4.th june  {etc}

Peter         J                   J                    G                  -

as in example J means 8 working hours, G means 6 working hours and - means a
day off. At the end should be some formula which sums all the working days to
exact hours.
I would be grateful if Someone could answer me by sending an e-mail to this
address: nt@hot.ee

Sry for the typos.. havent use English language for 3 years :P
0
Thor (14)

"Thor" wrote:

> How do give single letters numerical equivalent? (MS Excel) im trying to do a
> work graph.
> I have filled some cols and rows like that
> Example:
>             |   Date   |   |   Date   |   |   Date   |   |   Date   | {etc}
>         |Working hours
> Name     1.th june     2.th june      3.th june      4.th june  {etc}
> Peter         J                   J                    G                  -
>
> as in example J means 8 working hours, G means 6 working hours and - means a
> day off. At the end should be some formula which sums all the working days to
> exact hours.
> I would be grateful if Someone could answer me by sending an e-mail to this
> address: nt@hot.ee
>
> Sry for the typos.. havent use English language for 3 years :P

okey i have put on the internet a pic of sample graph please i really need
help someone?
this address below:
http://thor.msn.ee/stonia/kaardid/graph.gif?2
0
Thor (14)
6/15/2006 11:13:01 PM
http://thor.msn.ee/stonia/kaardid/graph.gif?2
there is an example graph
i need to get letters E, G, J AND I work by them selves as much hours as
they are.
So how do give single letters numerical equivalent? as E=G=9,5

              J=12

              I=13

i think i could do that formula at the end of row for summing all working
hours
0
Thor (14)
6/15/2006 11:17:02 PM
Perhaps something like this ..

In B5:
=IF(B4="",0,VLOOKUP(B4,{"E",9.5;"G",9.5;"I",13;"J",12},2,0))
Copy B5 across to AE5

--
Max
Singapore
"Thor" wrote:
> http://thor.msn.ee/stonia/kaardid/graph.gif?2
> there is an example graph
> i need to get letters E, G, J AND I work by them selves as much hours as
> they are.
> So how do give single letters numerical equivalent? as E=G=9,5
>
>               J=12
>
>               I=13
>
> i think i could do that formula at the end of row for summing all working
> hours
0
demechanik (4694)
6/16/2006 1:32:02 AM
"Max" wrote:

> Perhaps something like this ..
>
> In B5:
> =IF(B4="",0,VLOOKUP(B4,{"E",9.5;"G",9.5;"I",13;"J",12},2,0))
> Copy B5 across to AE5

"",0,VLOOKUP there is some mistake ... excel gives me error for it.
Best for me would be that kind of formula that, when im doing new grapg
everymong different then just by typing for an example E then and the end of
line in working hours cell would appear 9,5hours, and when i keep adding
letters then the sum will growth
0
Thor (14)
6/16/2006 8:31:02 PM
"Thor" wrote:
> > In B5:
> > =IF(B4="",0,VLOOKUP(B4,{"E",9.5;"G",9.5;"I",13;"J",12},2,0))
> > Copy B5 across to AE5

> "",0,VLOOKUP there is some mistake ... excel gives me error for it.

Think you need to change the commas to semicolons
in the formula to suit your continental Excel version,
perhaps try something like this in B5 over there:
=IF(B4="";0;VLOOKUP(B4;{"E",9.5;"G",9.5;"I",13;"J",12};2;0))
then copy B5 across to AE5
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
0
demechanik (4694)
6/16/2006 11:35:01 PM
Re: Max

> =IF(B4="";0;VLOOKUP(B4;{"E",9.5;"G",9.5;"I",13;"J",12};2;0))
> then copy B5 across to AE5

I dont know what am i doing wrong or is something in this formula wrong, but
i cant get it to work :(

Maybe you could set-up somewhere a working graph_example or send it to my
e-mail:nt@hot.ee
0
Thor (14)
6/17/2006 12:43:01 AM
Here's a quick sample implementation for your easy ref:
http://cjoint.com/?grdszgJM74
Thor_1.xls

--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
0
demechanik (4694)

Help with Excel
I have windows xp on my new computer and it don't support excel, i have file on my old computer with excel how can i get excel to work with my xp version You will need to put Excel on your new machine - it is NOT part of Windows. If you have the Excel or MS Office disk from the old machine you can use that to install the applications on the new PC. Of course, once you have it running you must uninstall the apps for the old PC. You can install Excel 97, Excel 2000, Excel 2002 or Excel 2003 on the new PC. If you do not have the disks then you are in for a shopping spree. Best wishes Berna...

If I want to buid a simple database for customer details, should I use Excel or Access?
I want to buid up a database for store detailed information of customers. The key words would be contained Customer's name, contact, visited time, email address links ( That can be easily used for sending emails). I wonder which program is better, Excel or Access? I am thinking that Excel is more common to use. And If I set up Excel, its data can be imported to Access. There are two clues here. The first is "database" - Access is the database application. The second is that, in spite of that, you fancy Excel, probably because you are more comfortable with Excel. It is yo...

DST Update Didn't Work
Hello, Hoping someone can assist with this problem. Last week we ran the update for DST for Windows on all our XP workstations and on the servers, including Exchange. Then ran the update in particular to Exchange, I believe 926666. Then ran the Outlook calendar update tool. All the calendars updated succssfully and the log files were generated for each mailbox that updated. This morning, the clocks on XP workstations and clocks on the 2003 server are correct with the new time, however, all calendar appointments are 1 hour behind where they should be. Can anyone tell me if I did some...

Excel and Windows Live Mail
Hi all I update my Mail add-in and VBA code examples to avoid the error if you use Windows Live Mail as your default mail program. More information in the blog post : http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2010/04/25/windows-live-mail-wlm-and-excel-problem-part-two/ If you have problems let me know so I can update the code/add-in if needed Thanks -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm ...

ODBC server changed
Hi I have some Excel 97 files that used to pull in data from a Unix box using an ODBC driver (U/SQL from Transoft). We have upgraded to a new server which has a different IP address and now the embedded queries have stopped working. Is there any way to change the data source in the Excel 97 file? I noticed by opening the file with a text editor that the old IP address is buried in there but I can't change it as it corrupts the file. The query was created with Data > Get External Data > Create New Query. It has not been saved as a separate MS Query file. If I do manage to edi...

Linking to Another Excel File (File Name Changes)
Hi, I have 2 separate Excel file worksheets. Basically, one file is updated each month and will have a different name (example: File052007 for May, File062007 for June, File072007 for July, etc.). Currently, I'm trying to link cells in my other file to the updated file, but I don't know how to set the link so that it can change each month. I was trying the concatenate or (A1&A2&A3) options to try to link cells together, but haven't had much luck. Here is what the formula should look like: ='C:\FOLDER\[File052007.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1 I made 2 cells in this worksheet ...

Excel charts won't appear or preview. Help!
Hello, In Excell 2003 I cannot get my charts or graphs to appear or preview. I was able too at first. But I accidentally hit right click and then clear several times after having created template line chart for the first time. This subsequently one at a time removed different aspects of my chart until my chart was gone. And now i cannot get the charts to appear again. Not even a preview. Thank you in advance foe your help and advice. This problim has been solved. Thank you. ...

XEXCH50 issue with smtp mail incoming from an external MS server
Hi, I received a complaint that an external contact could not send mail to our exchange 5.5 SP 4 mail server, but had no problem sending to our non-MS mail servers. I have applied the patch from MS03-046, to prevent denial of service hacks with XEXCH50. When I examined the logs I found multiple entries like... The event log shows an entry MSExchangeIMC, SMTP Interface Events, ID 4153 x.x.x.x attempted to submit without using authentication. The submission was not allowed. and the SMTP log shows 02/12/2003 13:41:33 : A connection was accepted from x.x.x.x. 02/12/2003 13:41:33 : <<&l...

"Customize Outlook Today" button does not work.
My "Customize Outlook Today" button does not work or do anything. I am using Outlook 2000. Can anyone help? Thanks, -Ricardo See the foolowing KB article; http://support.microsoft.com/?id=820575 -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Ricardo" <Ricardo993@comcast.net> wrote in message news:108ff01c4400a$54553f20$a001280a@phx.gbl... > My "Customize Outlook Today" button does not work or do > anything. I am using Outlook 2000. Can anyone help?...

Adding and subtracting hours in Excel 2000 worksheet
I'm having some success with the addition part but not with the subtracting part! I have an Excel spreadsheet that is used to keep track of time worked by staff on a weekly basis and I need to keep track of the overtime worked. For example, one staff member has worked 40 hours, 54 minutes and 25 seconds in a week (displayed in a cell as 40:54:25 with the cell formatted as Category: --> Time and Type:--> 37:30:55). I then went to subtract 40 hours from the total hours worked to get the overtime displayed and thats where I'm having the problem. I tried the format of "=F9 -...

Code working in 2K3, but not 2K7
I have a form with one unbound combo box. The On Open Event is set as follows: Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) Me.Text0.SetFocus Me.Text0.Dropdown End Sub Works eveytime in Access 2K3 , but in 2K7 the form opens and the cursor is blinking in the combo box. Any idea on why the combo box will not drop down and display records? I have tried changing Overlapping Windows and Tabbed Documents settings, but no difference. If I remove the code entirely, the form opens and the combo box has the focus because it is the only object available. Any help appreciated. Try mov...

Newly Created Function not Working #3
Thank you Frank, I used your suggestion but I still was unable to ge this to work. This is actually the method I had already used. Would i be easier to just save this as an addin and have him install the addi on his machine? Do you think it may work if we do this? Again thank yo for oyur help -- nuve ----------------------------------------------------------------------- nuver's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1003 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26961 I'll just chime in and give my $0.02 for what it's...

New users not working or in address book
We just loaded up a new exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 Server in a Windows 2000 domain. Everything seemed to be working fine: All our users have email accounts and email was sending correctly. That's when we found out 1 user could not log in. He had no email addresses in his account settings, so I added them manually. Now he can log in but is not in the addressbook. All new accounts created are not going into the address book. In the eventvwr, I am receiving 8270 errors and 8315 errors. The checkbox for allowing rights to propogate are all checked. Thanks in advance, Chris See...

Microsoft Excel #2
Why can't I close my Excel application by clicking the x button in the upper right hand corner of the application. This is Excel 2002. Is there a way to do this? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Seum Is the "x" button grayed out and unavailable? Are using using Groupwise? If that's the problem. See this MSKB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260199 Article is specific for 2000 but I think it is valid for other versions. It gives a workaround (use the file menu) and instructions as to how to remove the Groupwise add-i...

table of contents in excel
Does anybody know how to create a dynamic table of contents in Excel (similar to Words TOC). Or alternatively how to insert the current page number into a cell so that it can be cross-referenced. Thanks Nick Hi Nick, See David McRitchies TOC page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm --- Regards, Norman "nickH" <nickH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28FEEDC1-6091-4FC4-BD5C-5CE2A6116A5E@microsoft.com... > Does anybody know how to create a dynamic table of contents in Excel > (similar > to Words TOC). Or alternatively ho...

opening excel document with shell as read only
Hello, I am presently using access to open an excel file by using the shell command. Is it possible by some command e.g. \readonly to open the excel file as read only? Cheers If you're automating excel from another program, you may be able to just create an instance of excel and open your workbook readonly: This worked for me from MSWord: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myXL As Object On Error Resume Next Set myXL = GetObject(, "Excel.Application") If Err.Number = 429 Then Set myXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application") End If On Error GoTo 0 myXL.Visible =...

excell formula needed
Hi, In Excell, I'm trying to match a cell (eg H21,with a num value (eg 2530) to a column of figures (M34:M99) that has one match in it and produce a grading A, B, C, D from a column (N34:N99). Anyone have any ideas? Rob. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ =Vlookup(H21,$M$34:$N$99,2,false) Bernard "terrificRob" <terrificRob.uixfy@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:terrificRob.uixfy@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi, > In Ex...

Scroll Bars Do Not Appear in Excel XP
One of our Office XP for Small Business users (running Win XP Pro SP 2) is no longer able to see the horizontal scroll bar in any of his Excel files -- files that used to display correctly a few days ago. He also can no longer see the three colored buttons in the top right of the screen (for Minimize, Zoom, Close). The scroll bars are set to display in the Prefs and we haven't changed any settings on our monitor -- any idea what we should do? Are the windows just not maximized? Try double clicking on the title bar at the top of the file and see if it snaps back into place. Lee &g...

Drawing Graphs #2
Hello, I need to write an application that displays multiple graphs on multiple tabbed sheets in a single window. The graphs are all simple X-Y line graphs like you'd see on an oscilloscope, but with labeled coordinates. I need everything (including the fonts if possible) to scale as I resize the window. I'm debating about using MFC or C#. Is there some standard class or set of functions that supports such graphs or do I need to write my own from the ground up (or buy a 3rd party package)? We've already done this in Java but I'd like to get rid of the Java and r...

Graph Time Frequency Plot...
With MS Access 2003, I am trying to create a graph of some events in our database. When an event occurs, they are time/date stamped. I can run a graph of those, but: How do I make the X-axis on a graph be straight time, so the dots on the graph appear at varying intervals (reflecting how often the events occurred). This is a touch easier in Excel... Do I need to export this to Excel all the time? or is there a way to do this in Access? Not sure if this is exactly what you're asking ... To graph only the time portion of your data (rather than date/time), use a query as the recordsour...

Macro Not Loading XLSART excel
I have created a macro and placed into the xlstart folder and the macro will load at first. At some point, the macro stops loading, yet the macro is still in the xlstart folder. Any thoughts? S Macros don't load from the XLSTART folder. Workbooks load from the XLSTART folder. The macro must be in workbook. Is your macro stored in a file named Personal.xls or in another workbook? Is the macro in a general module or Thisworkbook module or Worksheet module. Show us your macro code. More information please. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 10 May 2004 15:05:49 -0700, "S Crowel...

I have MS Office XP Prof. & need System Office pack 2.0 or later
I just recently installed the Windows 7 Operating System on my computer. I use Microsoft Office XP Professional as my office software. While editing a document I received the following message: " The Office Assistant requires Microsoft Agent 2.0 or later. This product is available on the Office System Pack." Where can I get this? The link to request a hotfix is here: <http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=969168&kbln=en-us> The full article is here: <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969168> hth Sabrina wrote: > &g...

Why this code does not work?
Why this code does not work? [Report] is a checkbox located in a Subform named:lbl_ScrapDB_subform and [shift_combo] is a combobox located in Form named:WScrapForm could you please help =============================================== Private Sub Report_Click() If IsNull(Form!WScrapForm![shift_combo]) Then MsgBox "You must Select the Shift where you work before report !", vbCritical, "Warning, Shift not selected" Report.Value = False Else Report.Value = Value End If End sub ================================================== -- Lorenzo Díaz Cad Technician What...

Sort not working correctly
I created a report for a query. When I sort the desired field most of the records sort correctly, but some records do not. This phenomenon happened both in the query and the report. I was able to solve the query sort problem by highlighting the column in the data set view and right click ascending. The mixed sort continues in the report weather I use Order By On or the Sorting and Grouping dialog box. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? -- Regards, Frank Frank <buckfd@gmail.com.(donotspam)> wrote: >I created a report for a query. When I sort the desired field most of the ...

Getting data from Access to Excel?
How would you go about pulling data from Access database into Excel? (Like weekly reports) Troy, Data|Get External Data|New Database Query Select MS Access Database The Wizard should take you through the remaining steps of selecting the data you want to import and the criteria (if any) that you wish to use. PC "Troy" <corptkm@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:nLDXa.3726$Jk5.3138269@feed2.centurytel.net... > How would you go about pulling data from Access database into Excel? (Like > weekly reports) > > You can also push-it-out of Access to Excel by (While...