how do you archive a file

how do i archive files on office 2003

I just do a "Save-As" and append a date/time code on the end of the filename,
like
MyfileName_020408_0835.xls  This saves the file as a separate listing, and
gives me the notation as to when it was done.....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"archiveing" wrote:

> how do i archive files on office 2003
0
CLR (807)

Save reminder when closing a file
We have an excel sheet we use to keep track of our purchase order numbers. One of our users inputted several entries and then forgot to save them. We want to avoid this situation but do not want to enable autosave. My question is a short one. Is it possible to create a custom message, warning users to save this sheet before exiting? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi I am a little confused beca...

my file in Word '03 was converted. need 2 convert from mswrd632
my file in Word '03 was converted. need 2 convert from mswrd632. Need help? I cannot get my original file because of mswrd632, whatever that means. Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973904/en-us and press the FixIt button. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "A problem with mswrd632" <A problem with mswrd632@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB9A32FC-6E7E-46C3-8256-77DC6001C3B7@microsoft.com... > my file in Word '03 was converted. need 2 convert from mswrd632. Need > help? > I cannot get my original file because of mswrd632...

Query file-attributes over the internet
Hello, My program (VC++ 6.0) is reading a large html file, which is located at a web hotel, to check if the file has been updated since the last time it was checked (by comparing the file with a local backup). To save a lot internet trafic, I would like the program to query the file's attributes and thus determine if the date of the last update has changed. Is there a way to do this? Hello, As I recall, you can request the file's header only and you will get a "Last-Modified" entry, you can check this header and compare its date with your local document date. Regards, E...

SYLK file format
Hi all, I'm going crazy to find any updated info about the SYLK (SYmbolic LinK) File format. Google.com, Mamma.com, MSDN, TECHNET, I have searched really everywere finding only useless things or broken links. The only details I have found are older than 1990, and I don't know how accurate. Then, any help (links, info, files, anything) will be very appreciated! I need to know: 1) If SYLK is a standard and who owe it. 2) The actual (last) SYLK file format. Many thanks in advance. M.Rossi (you can reply here or to mario.red .n.o.s.p.a.m. @email.it) I have no idea if this is current...

Excel Vb to move a file to a shared network drive????
Hello, I have a simple excel vb file, and i am trying to have the file moved, ** or ** copy/pasted to a network shared drive. we have a network shared drive, called "WDdrop". any CSV, PAS, file copied and pasted into this folder, will print a label to a designated printer. at the present, i have to use 'command buttons' to run the vb script file, then copy the file to the WDdrop... Here is an example of my VB file..... to make it easier to see the lines of concern, I will tab them out some so they stick out!!! :) Sub os_id_4420() ' ' MACRO Macro ' Macro recor...

Old version of file opened from File -> Open menu
I have a network user who gets the old version of an Excel file (2007) when using the File Open menu, or using recent document links. If he navigates to the network share using computer (Vista), he is able to locate the file and double click to open. Using this method returns the most recently saved file. There are not duplicate or similar file names in the share so it appears Excel is caching an old version for some reason when opening from the File menu. I now have an Access 2003 user experiencing the same problem. Offline files are disabled in Group Policy (Server 2008)....

transferring pst files from one hard drive to new hard drive
i downloaded automated backup program from MS. made the backup and now want to transfer to cd so i can load on new hard drive. can't seem to figure out how to save or export or import or ???? currently have MS office 2000 and XP pro with multiple users. back up file is about 220 meg, does this contain all 3 useres files? & if and when i get them somehow on a cd, when i go to load on new drive will it put them in the three seperate users or all in to 1 or ?????? lee <blitz-n-git@att.net> wrote: > i downloaded automated backup program from MS. made the > backup...

Exchange 2003: Mailbox size vs exchange data file on disk?
I've just done a quick adding up for all my mail boxes on my exchange 2003 server, and it totals around 3.7GB However, the datafiles on disk are: priv1.edb - 4.8GB priv1.stm - 2.8GB What makes up the rest of the space used? I know there are a couple of address lists and 2 public calendars, but that woudlnt even be a hundred meg, let alone a gig! Any ideas? is this normal behaviour? Thanks :) Some items that take up space are Deleted retention items, deleted mailbox settings and deleted public folder retention. Also the database size does not shrink, so there may be empty space in ...

MS Pub 2003 suddenly will not open older Pub files
Suddenly, on 3 different computers MS Pub 2003 will no longer open publisher files created in an older version. The error is "Publisher cannot open this file. This file was saved from a previous version of Publisher. Publisher no longer supports files that were saved in this version." I've tried on 3 different PC's on different networks and get the same. Even files that I had previously been able to open suddenly won't open. With very different networks my thought was something had changed on the originators PC but going back and retrieving previously saved files t...

How to view attached file names in message list
Hello, I would like the file names of attached files to be visible in the Outlook message list (and not just a paperclip), without having to click on the message. Is this possible or are there other solutions? Thanks for any help Vauban vauban schrieb: > Hello, > I would like the file names of attached files to be visible in the > Outlook message list (and not just a paperclip), without having to > click on the message. Is this possible or are there other solutions? > Thanks for any help > Vauban > hi what version of outlook are you using? did you switch on the settin...

Saving Files in Excel
Is there an 'auto save' function that I can set up? "Paul Davies", Yes (Tools - Add-Ins), but it's quite unpopular. Jan Karel's AutoSafe.zip, OTOH, is quite popular. http://www.bmsltd.co.uk/MVP/MVPPage.asp Rgds, Andy xl2k and below have an autosave addin. xl2002 has an autorecovery addin. They do different things. Autosave will save your workbook at preset (by you) intervals--This is helpful when you screw up. Autorecovery will protect against excel/OS crashes. If you really want autosave, you can install it via Tools|Addins (you may need the original CD...

Outputting a CString to File Problem
Hello, Currently I am using Visual C++ 2005 Pro, with an MFC application. However, when I attempt to output a CString to a file via ofstream, the resulting output is a hex value, not the text in the CString I intended. Does anybody have any ideas why this would happen? Here is the code snippet in question: CString sPathToSettings = GetWorkingDirectory(); sPathToSettings += "settings.ini"; ofstream OutFile(sPathToSettings); OutFile << sPathToSolution; OutFile.close(); BTW: The sPathToSettings string points to a valid path, as it does create a file successfully. ...

Lost Contacts after switch to Personal Folders File.. any suggestions?
I recently switched my Outlook 2k3 data file from the old 97-2002 format to the updated larger capacity Personal Folders File. I created a new new data file in the PFF format then imported the old 97-2002 file back into the new data file. Here is where the problems start, all the email messages seem to have imported correctly but none of the contacts made it over. In addition if i have the mail button highlited in the lower left corner i do not have an icon for my contacts listed under All Mail Folders in the middle left pane of outlook. Can i re-import only contacts and why is "conta...

Exporting table data to an 80 column text file
I need to take a table (every row) and export it to a text file in an 80 col. format. No delimiters or quotes ("") for text. All the fields in the table add up to 80 characters. I want to make it as automatic as possible. NewHeartMan wrote: > I need to take a table (every row) and export it to a text file in an 80 col. > format. No delimiters or quotes ("") for text. All the fields in the table > add up to 80 characters. I want to make it as automatic as possible. After you select File/Export, use TXT as the file extension, select Fixed Width, click th...

Big PST files
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C5F5D3.1723BD90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1255" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable This post is crossposted on microsoft.public.outlook, = microsoft.public.outlook.general Exchange 2003 server with Outlook 2003 clients. All SP up todate. No = cache Exchange mode. Approx. 120 users. Mailboxes are limited to 250mb = each for most users and sometimes more if necessary. We have as a company policy on each computer for backup: a PST file with = two folders (MailIn and MailOut) that rece...

Importing Pagemaker files into Publisher
Is it possible to import Adobe Pagemaker Files into Microsoft Publisher? Is there a format that Pagemaker can export that Publisher can recognize. No, not really. If you have both programs, you can try a copy and paste but no guarantees. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "cherok" <cherok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6BDD7610-4DD3-40FD-B14B-B2F805AA67F1@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to import Adobe Pagemaker Files into Microsoft Publisher? > Is > there a format that Pagemaker can export that Publisher can recognize. ...

Importing text file corrupts my database
I'm running Entourage in Office for Mac 2008 on a MacBook under Snow Leopard 10.6.2. First I cleared out a lot of old emails and folders but there were three emails I could not delete. This then linked to the database being or becoming corrupted and rebuilding it failed every time very near the end. I eventually resolved that by manually dragging every folder to make mbox files and constructing a new identity - never done that before. The new database is fine and uncorrupted, BUT, every time I import my list of contacts from a delimited text file the database corrupts again ...

Cutting a BMP file to two BMP file
Hi Can you please let me know how Can I cut a BMP file to 2 Bitmap file. I do not want to change the widht of file but yes I wish to split the height. Do I need to just copy the bits and it will get done? Thanks Anup On Sep 16, 2:20=A0pm, Matrixinline <anup.kata...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi > > Can you please let me know how Can I cut a BMP file to 2 Bitmap file. > I do not want to change the widht of file but yes I wish to split the > height. > > Do I need to just copy the bits and it will get done? > > Thanks > Anup Create a new bitmap of desired size an...

Converting files
How can I convert Money 2003 files to Quicken "QIF" files In microsoft.public.money, barry wrote: >How can I convert Money 2003 files to Quicken "QIF" files File->Export Depends on the version. For M03 -> Q04 there is a data conversion utility that you can find on quicken.com It doesn't do everything, but is helpful if you want to switch. B. "barry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:078601c3d964$fac3f890$a101280a@phx.gbl... > How can I convert Money 2003 files to Quicken "QIF" files Of course, that ...

Disappearing file
Spent days producing newsletter and now it won't open. Searched .tmp files and nothing there, although I saved whenever asked and when closed. Tries to open then "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" Details are MSPUB caused an invalid page fault in module MSPUB.EXE at 017f:00504275. Registers: EAX=000e7fb0 CS=017f EIP=00504275 EFLGS=00010202 EBX=006a01e5 SS=0187 ESP=008cd66c EBP=008cd7d8 ECX=006a2886 DS=0187 ESI=000001e5 FS=192f EDX=0423000c ES=0187 EDI=00000000 GS=3d5e Bytes at CS:EIP: 8b 54 08 08 f6 42 2a 08 75 0d 6a 0e e8 da 95 fe Stack ...

password protected .pst files...
I have two .pst archive files that I password protected. When I open Outlook and click on one of the archives, it asks for the password. If I just click cancel at that point amd later want to open it, I have to close Outlook and re-open it so as to be asked for the password again. SImply clicking on teh PST file does not allow me to enter the password, it just tells me that I am unable to access the file. Also, I have archiving configured to happen each day - to these .pst files. Is there any place where I can specifiy the password so that the archive can happen? Now, if I do not specifiy the...

excel file size blew up
Using Excel to draw several versions of a diagram of a part of my house. After one of my sessions the file size jumped to 29 mbytes! The file is only solid & dotted lines, other formatting, no formulas. Also row height =12 and column width set to 1.5. How do I find out what happened and get it back to a few hundred kbytes? Try eliminating (deleting) on item at a time and changing the filename after each change. For example: diagram 1.xlsx diagram 2.xlsx diagram 3.xlsx Get aggressive until you find the component that is causing the trouble, then go back to the or...

How do I open a .pub file without publisher?
You don't. Not possible. David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] www.publishermvps.com www.davidbartosik.com "Amelia" <Amelia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D62EC10-AADF-44FD-A702-D084B5B5C42E@microsoft.com... > --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.776 / Virus Database: 523 - Release Date: 10/12/2004 Any one of the following options will work. Get and install Publisher. Send it to someone who will convert it to a pdf file. This assumes you have Acrobat Reader, if no...

Can a Hyperlink copy a file?
Is it possible in a hyperlink, to make it first copy a file to a new location and then open the new copy? Not via a hyperlink. But maybe you could use a macro that accomplishes this. Look at filecopy in VBA's help and workbooks.open. For example, I could put a shape on the the worksheet, rightclick and assign it this macro: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myFromFolder As String Dim myToFolder As String Dim myFileName As String myFromFolder = "C:\my documents\excel\" myToFolder = "C:\my documents\excel\test\" myFileName = "book...

Linked files and UNC paths
Whenever I link an excel file to my publisher file, the link always goes to the unc path of the excel file, instead of the drive letter. Due to planned moves and renames of our file servers, we would like to have everything pointing to drive letters instead of UNC paths. In excel en word, this behaves properly, if I link a file on a mapped network drive, it will keep the drive letter. In publisher, it doesn't. Any ideas of how I can tell publisher to stop converting to UNC paths? ...