How do I write a IF function formula?

I need to write a formula for the following but am confused as to how to do
it. Can someone help?

1. determine gross pay in column F as follows:
a. In cell F4, enter an IF function that applies the following logic and
then copy it to the range F5:F10.
 If hours <= 40, then Rate * Hours, otherwise Rate * Hours + 0.5 * (Hours -
40)

b. In cell I4, enter the IF function that applies the following logic:
  If (Gross Pay - Dependents * 38.46) > 0, then 20% * (Gross Pay -Dependents
* 38.46), otherwise 0
0
JulieA60 (3)

What columns are used for Rate, Hours, Gross Pay and Dependents?

"JulieA60" <JulieA60@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to write a formula for the following but am confused as to how to do
> it. Can someone help?
>
> 1. determine gross pay in column F as follows:
> a. In cell F4, enter an IF function that applies the following logic and
> then copy it to the range F5:F10.
> If hours <= 40, then Rate * Hours, otherwise Rate * Hours + 0.5 * (Hours -
> 40)
>
> b. In cell I4, enter the IF function that applies the following logic:
>  If (Gross Pay - Dependents * 38.46) > 0, then 20% * (Gross
> Pay -Dependents
> * 38.46), otherwise 0

0
reply6075 (299)
4/11/2006 9:04:45 PM
The general format of the formula you require would be:

=IF(Hours<=40,Rate*Hours,Rate*Hours + 0.5*(Hours-40))

The values for Hours and Rate can either be stoed in cells or replaced with
the actual amount required e.g.  Hours in cell E4 and rate in cell D4:

=IF(E4<=40,D4*E4,D4*E4 + 0.5*(E4-40))

The second formula, will be similar but, presumably using the gross pay
calculated as above:

=IF((F4-Dependents*38.46)>0,(F4-Dependents*38.46)*20%,0)

again, dependents will either be the cell reference or a value

HTH

"JulieA60" wrote:

> I need to write a formula for the following but am confused as to how to do
> it. Can someone help?
>
> 1. determine gross pay in column F as follows:
> a. In cell F4, enter an IF function that applies the following logic and
> then copy it to the range F5:F10.
>  If hours <= 40, then Rate * Hours, otherwise Rate * Hours + 0.5 * (Hours -
> 40)
>
> b. In cell I4, enter the IF function that applies the following logic:
>   If (Gross Pay - Dependents * 38.46) > 0, then 20% * (Gross Pay -Dependents
> * 38.46), otherwise 0
0
bigwheel926 (227)
4/11/2006 9:30:02 PM
 The columns are as follows:
B - Rate
C - Hours
D - Dependents
F - Gross Pay

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

> What columns are used for Rate, Hours, Gross Pay and Dependents?
>
> "JulieA60" <JulieA60@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need to write a formula for the following but am confused as to how to do
> > it. Can someone help?
> >
> > 1. determine gross pay in column F as follows:
> > a. In cell F4, enter an IF function that applies the following logic and
> > then copy it to the range F5:F10.
> > If hours <= 40, then Rate * Hours, otherwise Rate * Hours + 0.5 * (Hours -
> > 40)
> >
> > b. In cell I4, enter the IF function that applies the following logic:
> >  If (Gross Pay - Dependents * 38.46) > 0, then 20% * (Gross
> > Pay -Dependents
> > * 38.46), otherwise 0

0
JulieA60 (3)
4/11/2006 10:10:02 PM
Thanks bigwheel for your reply. I'm going to give this a try and let you know
if I've finally caught on :)

"bigwheel" wrote:

> The general format of the formula you require would be:
>
> =IF(Hours<=40,Rate*Hours,Rate*Hours + 0.5*(Hours-40))
>
> The values for Hours and Rate can either be stoed in cells or replaced with
> the actual amount required e.g.  Hours in cell E4 and rate in cell D4:
>
> =IF(E4<=40,D4*E4,D4*E4 + 0.5*(E4-40))
>
> The second formula, will be similar but, presumably using the gross pay
> calculated as above:
>
> =IF((F4-Dependents*38.46)>0,(F4-Dependents*38.46)*20%,0)
>
> again, dependents will either be the cell reference or a value
>
> HTH
>
> "JulieA60" wrote:
>
> > I need to write a formula for the following but am confused as to how to do
> > it. Can someone help?
> >
> > 1. determine gross pay in column F as follows:
> > a. In cell F4, enter an IF function that applies the following logic and
> > then copy it to the range F5:F10.
> >  If hours <= 40, then Rate * Hours, otherwise Rate * Hours + 0.5 * (Hours -
> > 40)
> >
> > b. In cell I4, enter the IF function that applies the following logic:
> >   If (Gross Pay - Dependents * 38.46) > 0, then 20% * (Gross Pay -Dependents
> > * 38.46), otherwise 0
0
JulieA60 (3)

help with problem formula
this formula worked up to yesterday. i had a power surg and now it onl give me one color. Private Sub LCase(Target.Val Target As Range) Dim myColor As Long If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Intersect ( Target, Me.Range("d:d")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Select Case LCase(Target.Value) Case Is = "a" : myColor = 33 Case Is = "b" : myColor = 38 Case Is = "c" : myColor = 20 Case Is = "e" : myColor = 35 Case Is = "f" : myColor = 40 Case Is = "g" : myColor = 8 Case Else myColor =x1None End selection Target.Interior.Col...

functions
I have created a custom function and would like it to be activated from a button on my toolbar. I have tried recording a macro to run the function but this did not work as the define range box was not presented. Thank you very much On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 03:35:40 -0700, "Chrissie Frisbee" <christina.frisbee@morgansindall.co.uk> wrote: >I have created a custom function and would like it to be >activated from a button on my toolbar. I have tried >recording a macro to run the function but this did not >work as the define range box was not presented. You'd ...

show columns on other worksheet without using formulas
Hi, I have 1 worksheet containing lot's records. Just like in access, each line is 1 record, and each column contains data. ex: WORKSHEET 1: name title address city 1 dfjw kjhk kjhkj kjhk 2 lmkj lkjlk lkjkuf guyg 3 drdtg xcx yjutuy hgyy Now I want to have a selection of columns on worksheet 2: ex, only name and title: WORKSHEET 2: name title 1 dfjw kjhk 2 lmkj lkjlk 3 drdtg xcx I will only add/modify rows in worksheet 1. And I want that this is filled automaticaly in worksheet...

Excel Left/Right function
The above function will not pull "each single character" from a string. I have text strings up to 27 characters. I want to pull "each character" into a separate column. Is there a function to do this without a macro? My purpose is to delete some characters and use Data Filter on each remaining character. MID =MID(A1,startnum,numcharacters) So, if you want the 15th character and 15th character only... =MID(A1,15,1) Hope this helps. -- John C "ejay" wrote: > The above function will not pull "each single character" from a string. > I have ...

help with the syntax for using range name in a formula?
I have --------=3D+AVERAGE(SMALL(B7:B19,{1,2,3}))-------------. I want to replace B7:B19 with =93Myrange=94 but I can=92t seem to get the syntax right. excel says error in formula. Thks in advance for any help BRC Hi =AVERAGE(SMALL(Myrange,{1,2,3})) have you created Myrange? have you spelt it correctly? -- Regards Roger Govier "BRC" <brc1051-googrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d0e09817-22dc-4c36-b60d-67a397067441@h9g2000yqa.googlegroups.com... > I have --------=+AVERAGE(SMALL(B7:B19,{1,2,3}))-------------. I want > to replace B7:B19 with �Myra...

Need help with IF function
I need help writing an IF expression: IF("reference cell is empty", leave blank, otherwise statement) than -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =IF(A1="","",Statement -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =if(Cell Number="","",Statement) rmo5354 wrote: > *I need help writing an IF expression: > IF("reference cell is empty", leave blank, otherwise statement) > > thanx -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com To indicate a cell is empty, simply use quotes with nothing in between t...

Continuation of Formula in New Array
Hi I am using this formula VLOOKUP($B$1,'Team A'!$A$18:$IV$45,MATCH($B5,'Team A'!$18:$18,0),0) The Array starts from A18 As you realise due to Excel limitation (!) the array only goes as far as Column IV; I wish to continue the Table array ( starting from a new row rather than a new worksheet) say from Cell A50 to IV77 and then continue again from A82 to IV109 and perhaps etc Is it possible. Please Note If it is to be done in Macro Please provide me a detailed Idiot Guide as I have NEVER PERFORMED/USED a Macro, and would not know where to start. Thx Gunjani I don'...

rolling weeks formula
Hi all, I have a sheet that has data in cells A1-A10 and will continue on through A11, A12 etc as the weeks go on and data is added. I want to make a sum of lets say A2-A6 this week, but next week A3-A7 and so on, like a rolling week data. Is there a way of doing this simple sum without having to SUM(A2-A6) and editing it the following week to SUM(A3-A7)? Any help is appreciated Andrew Hi Andrew One way Using cell B1 to hold the starting week number =SUM(INDEX(A:A,B1):INDEX(A:A,B1+3)) Just alter the value in B1 to give a different range -- Regards Roger Govier "@Homeonthecou...

Formula
Have a simple idea that is giving me fits. Have a worksheet with numberic data and labels in rows and columns. Below each column I use a simple SUM() function which works fine, until I disturb a row of data. By disturb, what I mean is that if I move the top row of data down to the bottom of the array, highlight the entire data area, move that area up one row, I lose the correct references in the SUM() function. I'm just moving the data area, not the row containing my SUM() functions - that stays put. IOW, the SUM() function is in row 12, the data area extends from row 1 through ...

Need Formula Help....
Hi: Is there a formula string for something like this.....?: I want a number in a cell when a specific word is typed in another cell, for example, if I wanted the number 50 to appear in C2 if I type the word, say, Airplane, in cell C1? Thanks, pinger You need to define what you want when cell C1 does not contain the word airplane. Enter this formula in C2: =IF(C1="airplane",50,"") If C1 does not contain airplane the formula will leave the cell blank. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "pinger" <pinger@ec.rr.com> wrote in message news:47cf6287$0...

Formula Paste Button
Excel provides menu bar buttons for "format" and "value" pastes, but not for "formula" pastes. I've tried creating a macro that I could then create a menu bar button for, but it doesn't work (VBA says the "selection" is bad.) Does anyone know how to create a simple "formula paste" button for the menu bar? I haven't seen any threads on this. Thanks, -- alandry753 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ alandry753's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26700 V...

Formula not copying over as before
I track sales for 97 people using seperate worksheets for each one and one total page. Everytime I would add a worksheet, I would go to the total page, copy and paste the forumula to the next cell and everything worked great. The total was pulled from lets say the 95th worksheet and put on cover sheet of the corresponding person. I've tried manually typing in the formula and it still doesn't work. Any ideas? "doesn't work" means what? No results? Results don't change? Have you looked at your Calculation Options? Are they set to "Auto"? Formula onl...

interest/inflation formula help
Could someone please do this formula for me. �300,000 to work out its worth each year (including interest) Then deduct cost of living % (inflation) each year. So �300,000 (at 6% interest) = �318000 deduct (inflation at say 3%)= �308460 (this would be its net worth say after one year I would use rows A1 to J10 for the actual amounts and would use 2 cells in row 2 for the interest rate and for the inflation figure, this way I could change the rates without altering the formula. I hope this makes sense. thanks There are a heap of financial functions built into excel. Look up PV ...

IF function #11
I have this formula in my worksheet, it keeps returning "-#VALUE!-" =IF(I2:I224="x","",IF(J2:J224="x","",COUNTIF(M2:M224,"ship"))) When I go to "Show calculation steps it shows that the error is in th 'I2:I224' Is it possible to use the "IF" function when including a range of cell such as 'I2:I224' -- KellyMcG0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- KellyMcG03's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1454 View this thread: http:/...

Passing 2-D array as function parameter.
If I pass a 2-D array ar[4][6] like this: foo(int ar[][6]...); What has been passed? Is it a pointer of whole array? Thanks. if you want to point to whole array you must call foo(ar) and in prototype or definition write foo (int ar[] [6]) and if you want to accsess only one row you must write foo(ar[4]) at calling the function "Frank E Rogers" <syang@pelco.com> wrote in message news:#u9vtA0UEHA.212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > If I pass a 2-D array ar[4][6] like this: > foo(int ar[][6]...); > What has been passed? Is it a pointer of whole array? > Thanks. > &...

I need a formula to mark up a product by 200%
Hello, i am stupid when it comes to this stuff and frustrate easily!! If their is anyone that can help me i would greatly appreciate it. I have a product and it cost me $4.50 to produce. I would like to mark it up 200%. What would the function be?? Thanks On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 18:29:01 -0800, StitchWitch <StitchWitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, i am stupid when it comes to this stuff and frustrate easily!! If >their is anyone that can help me i would greatly appreciate it. I have a >product and it cost me $4.50 to produce. I would like to mark ...

writing a service
Hello NG, I have a server application running in the background. Now I want my programme to start when rebooting the pc. I don't want the user to log in so that the programme starts. I use Windows XP or Windows 2000. I think I must programme my application as a service. Do you know how to write a service and install it in Windows? Thanks for help, Guido THere are numerous good articles in the MSDN on how to write a service. You should start there. joe On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:47:45 +0200, "Guido Franzke" <guidof73@yahoo.de> wrote: >Hello NG, > >I have a ...

"A Formula or sheet..."
Windows Vista Ultimate - SP1 RC1 Office 2007 Professional When I try to copy a worksheet I get the following: "A formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name '_XXXX', which already exists on the destination worksheet. Do you want to use this version of the name?" This messages appears many time before the sheet is finally copied. I have been clicking the yes button and the task is completed. Is there a work-around, or add in, that allows me to go in and delete all these names so I can just copy the sheet w/o all the extra effort. It seems to me I ran i...

Turn on Automatic Formula Fill in Table
I turned off the 'automatically fill th column with this formula' option in Excell 2007 but I can't see how to turn it on again. Can anyone point me in teh right direction? TIA Excel 2007 Excel Options > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options > Autoformat As You Type > Fill formulas in tables to create calculated columns ...

internal support function returned an error
Hello, For some reason, every time I try to send a particular message I get "An internal support function returned an error" warning. Any idea what I can do to fix this problem? -- Thanks, Bob Sorry, I forgot to indicate I am using Outlook 2007 on XPSP2. "BBran" <bbran@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:elIab3XhJHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > For some reason, every time I try to send a particular message I get "An > internal support function returned an error" warning. Any idea what I can > do to fix this problem? &...

Easy formula question
=IF(D4>D5:D6:D7:D8:D9:D10:D11:D12:D13:D14:D15:D16,"Leader","---") :confused: I am trying to get a cell to say the word Leader if cell D4 is greate than the other cells in the list or if D4 is not greater than the cell in the list to say --- but obviously I have the formula above wron because it is not working. Help ASAP please!!!! Thanks in advance for any help with this, Mik -- mikeee ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikeeee's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1461 View this thread: htt...

Text Function with Different Formatting for Number
I'm trying to use a text function where I reference a number from another cell but I need the text part to be bold and the number not to be bold. This is the formula I'm using right now: ="Sales: "&TEXT(A16,"$#,##0_);($#,##0)") Unfortunately, excel won't let me just make the text bold without making the number bold. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks M, I think a macro could do this, since it's really a string you're going to wind up with. But if you can put the Sales: part in a separate cell, life will be much easier anyway. then you ...

Function pointer term does not evaluate to a function
If someone could please help I have tried lots of diffrent things to try and make this work and at this rate will soon be bald I get the following error C2064: term does not evaluate to a function when I compile at line (DB.DbTable[1]->pfnCallBack)(); void CTestConstDlg::SomeFunction(void) { CDB DB; (DB.DbTable[1]->pfnCallBack)(); } class CDB { public: void SerialNum(); CDB(); virtual ~CDB(); typedef union Test { i32 i32Value; u32 u32Value; float rValue; i16 i16Value; d32 d32Value; u8 u8Value...

If statements within Array formulas
I'm putting together a crosstab report using an array formula, th formula is as follows {=SUM(IF($A3&D$2&CC_Choice=HYP&date&CC,Amount))} This basically produces a cost centre report for the Cost Centre Choic by account code by month. I now wish to add an extra field of selection, by Business Unit, if BU is selected a cost centre would not be selected so the CC-Choic field will be blank, and vice versa. Is it possible to put an If statement into the above formula t determine if the report is by CC or BU. My best attempt involves having a IF statement that checks i...

Possible to Import Access queries to Excel and maintain the formulas??
Hello: I am trying to confirm whether it is possible to import access queries intto Excel and keep the formulas so that they will still exist in Excel. Is that possible to do? Thanks! Hi Fred, not without writing code -- and, depending on your calculations, this may be very difficult Warm Regards, Crystal * (: have an awesome day :) * MVP Access Remote Programming and Training strive4peace2006 at yahoo.com * fred.sheriff@gmail.com wrote: > Hello: I am trying to confirm whether it is possible to import access > queries intto Excel and keep the formulas so that t...