How do I sum dollars in one column based on dates in another?

How can I sum the total numbers contained in one column based on dates in
another column?
Example: I need the total of 5 units sold int the month of January 2006. I
have the sale ammounts in one column and the closing dates in another.
What forumla would I use for this?
Thanks in advance for any help.

0
Alan6824 (103)

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(B2:B50)=1),--(YEAR(B2:B50)=2006),A2:A50)

for January

change 1 in the month part to a different month

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

Northwest Excel Solutions

www.nwexcelsolutions.com

(remove ^^ from email address)

Portland, Oregon

"Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I sum the total numbers contained in one column based on dates in
> another column?
> Example: I need the total of 5 units sold int the month of January 2006. I
> have the sale ammounts in one column and the closing dates in another.
> What forumla would I use for this?
> Thanks in advance for any help.

0
Peo
4/5/2006 4:18:39 AM
If I understand correctly what you need, then use SUMIF function.

For example, if you have dates in column A and amounts in column B, the
formula will look like:

=sumif(A:A,"Month_You_Need",B:B)

Month_You_Need is the month for which you want to add the amounts.  If
your dates are in a date format (not months or month numbers), you
would want to convert them into month numbers first.  So, you would add
a new column, say C, and enter formula MONTH(Cell A) into it.  Then,
your SUMIF function will look like this:

=sumif(C:C,"Month_You_Need",B:B),

where Month_You_Need will be a number of the month you need (w/out "").

--
proper
proper's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33166

One more:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(text(b2:b50,"yyyymm")="200601"),A2:A50)

Alan wrote:

> How can I sum the total numbers contained in one column based on dates in
> another column?
> Example: I need the total of 5 units sold int the month of January 2006. I
> have the sale ammounts in one column and the closing dates in another.
> What forumla would I use for this?
> Thanks in advance for any help.

--

Dave Peterson
0

update column

Summing Alternate Rows
We have spreadsheets with many rows and need to sum alternate rows. Is there a way to do this without entering a formula using the number of each row? -- KarenQ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ KarenQ's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19608 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395115 Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18),2)=1),$A$1:$A$18) That formula sums odd-row values in the range A1:A18. To sum even-row values the formula is: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18...

Oldest date for Duplicate Cust. #

OWA jumping mouse

Global Column Row Preview Font Size

Dates #9

Qrp Date functions

date tracking

Short time vs short date

Date Calculation

date modified

Date function quit working

Date format 04-11-06

WLM transfer to another computer
Hi, I finally moved from Windows 7 RTM to Win7 Pro 64. I did it by installing the new OS on a brand new hard drive, then installed my old hard drive in a 2.5" external enclosure. I've been successful in moving most of my files and settings over, but WLM is the exception. Can someone help answer these questions for me: 1. Where are the actual mail files stored? 2. Where is the account login info stored? 3. In Outlook and OE installing on a new computer, even after moving files, prompted for a full redownload off of the POP server. Anyway to avoid this? Is ther...

How to Identify Records with Overlapping Dates
I need to be able to systematically identify any instance where there are overlapping date ranges in a data set. I need to pull records like those listed below out of a larger data set. I previously posted a question similar to this and was advised to pull the same table in a query, match on Member Number, and qualify that the product code from TableA did not match product code in TableA_1 where the Begin Date TableA was < Term date TableA_1 and TableA_1 Begin Date < TableA End Date. Which worked great for me finding overlapping records where the product was different, bu...