how do i sort dates by months and not years?

I have two columns. One with dates and one with names:

09/22/77      Jane Doe

I'm trying to sort these by months so I can keep track of people's
birthdays.  Is there a way to do that?

Thanks!

0
Mom532 (25)

One way, in a third adjacent column enter =MONTH{A1) assuming the date is in
column A then sort the range by that column,
Regards,
Alan.
"A Homeschool Mom" <A Homeschool Mom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C1A68119-E817-4BA5-8700-E01899997A12@microsoft.com...
>I have two columns. One with dates and one with names:
>
> 09/22/77      Jane Doe
>
> I'm trying to sort these by months so I can keep track of people's
> birthdays.  Is there a way to do that?
>
> Thanks!

0
alan111 (581)
9/22/2005 8:28:49 PM
AHM,

My "Special Sort" Excel add-in will do that, plus it has 11 other ways to sort.
(even by cell or font color)

Comes with a Word.doc install/use file.
Free upon direct request - remove XXX from my email address.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA
jim.coneXXX@rcn.comXXX

wrote in message
I have two columns. One with dates and one with names:
09/22/77      Jane Doe
I'm trying to sort these by months so I can keep track of people's
birthdays.  Is there a way to do that?
Thanks!

0
jim.coneXXX (771)

Date Formatting when Concantenating

Show a date 30 days out
I have a feild that I would like to show what the date would be in 30 days for a feild with a date in it [Sold Date]. Sold Date feild would be 1 Jan 07 so the feild would show 30 Days later 31 Jan 07. I did =[Sold date]+30 and it did not work Thanks how about dateadd: dateadd("d", 30, [Sold Date]) -- steve. "KAnoe" <KAnoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE9BDDAE-5C84-4A52-8185-DAB6C3167E7A@microsoft.com... >I have a feild that I would like to show what the date would be in 30 days > for a feild with a date in it [Sold Date]. > ...

Dates in fomula showing as whole number

Problem with charting Net income vs Year
Im having some problems with my Excel chart. It will not plot Net Income vs Year. It keeps trying to treat Year as a different data series. It will work if I use text i.e. a1990, a1991, etc. but it refuses to use 1990, 1991... Any Ideas??? Use an "XY (Scatter)" chart, instead of a "Line" chart. Jerry Hunter wrote: > Im having some problems with my Excel chart. It will not plot Net Income vs Year. It keeps trying to treat Year as a different data series. It will work if I use text i.e. a1990, a1991, etc. but it refuses to use 1990, 1991... Any Ideas??? Delete the co...

Sort behaves unexpectedly
Over the years I've come to count on being able to sort be a column header. That is, all of the rows below the headers have data and at least two rows above the headers are empty. I have a spreadsheet now where rows 1, 2 and 3 have random info in them. Rows 4 and 5 are empty. Row six has column labels, and rows 7-45 have data. If I put my cursor on one of the headers (e.g., "name"), and click sort a/z, it sorts only the rows in the group, but it sorts the header row into the rest of them. Rows 1-3 aren't affected. How come? I've never had this happen before. ...

date/time formatting

Formula to find last monday (tue, wedn, thu or friday) for a given month
Hi, I need a formula to calculate the date of the last monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday or friday of a given month. Can't seem to find the answer anywhere. example: day: wednesday (or corresponding nr) month: 3 year: 2004 Result: 31/03/04 Who can help? Thank you for reading and eventually answering my question.Back Visit http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeWS.htm#DaysInMonth -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Michele" <mw001@pandora.be> wrote in message news:b30b6913.0402090708.556d0faa@posting.google.com... > Hi, > I need a...

Calculating dates #3
Can anyone tell me what I should use (in the way of helper cells) to take any date (mm/dd/yyyy) and turn it into that same month and day for specific year? For instance, turn... 10/12/2009 into 10/12/2010 and 4/6/1998 into 4/6/2010 I'm trying to determine anniversary date based on start date and do it starting in 2010. TIA -- Jordon Try this: =3DDATE(2010,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) Assuming your date is in A1. Hope this helps. Pete On Jan 5, 5:35=A0pm, Jordon <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> wrote: > Can anyone tell me what I should use (in the way of helper cells) > to tak...

how do I format cells to change date and time to just date
I want to format a column that contains date and time and I want it to show just the date and not the time. Going into format and clicking on the date and changing doesnt work. Probably the cells aren't really dates, but text. You can check with the ISTEXT() function. If they are text, formatting doesn't have any effect. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "bondam" <bondam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4D61EC1-30E2-4723-89E1-F47B545818EE@microsoft.com... >I want to format a column that contains date and time and I want it t...

Command Button to Sort and Filter by Selection
Is it possible to create a command button on a form that will allow you to sort records or to use the Filter by Selction option? They are not choices I can select while using the wizard or the macro builder. However, both of these would be extremely useful as I'm building a database for someone who has never used a database before and isn't all that comfortable with computers in general. I am using Access 2003 and I am NOT familiar with Access Visual Basic, Java or building macros from scratch. I'm sure there is a way to use these tools to create what I want, ...

creating a calendar that covers a fiscal year
can I create a calendar that starts at a certain date and ends at a certain date. A one year calendar? I am using outlook 2002 ...

Increasing Months
Hi Here is a simple question and I cannot find the answer. On a report I have a text box [Text301] and when display I see Fev-07 I would like to add something like 35 other text box so month would increase by 1 What could be the formula for [Text302] to display Mar-07 or Mar 2007. The formula should be issued from [Text301] Then [Text303] related to [Text302], [Text304] related to [Text303], ....... So the day I change [Text301] for let say Apr-08 [Text302] would give me May-08 [Text303} would be Jun-08, etc... I dont realy care with the format; it can be Mar 08 or Mar-08 or Mar-2...

win7; money plus deluxe; monthly report failures
When using Microsoft Windows 7 and Money Plus Deluxe v17.0.120.1415. I'm trying to prepare my monthly reports. I get the error, "Money requires Internet Explorer 6 to function properly. Please reinstall Internet Explorer 6 so these components can be added". Win7 has IE8. IE8 > IE6. Shouldn't this work? I searched for this error elsewhere and couldn't find it, or its resolution. Any tips/tricks would be great. thanks... P.S: I know Win7 is Beta and that with Beta's come issues like this... I have the same problem and I wish there was a fix for it. Does anyo...

Calculate age as of a date certain
Employee benefit enrollment requires the age of each employee as of a specific date, such as 1/1/2005. Given the date of birth, how would this be calculated? -- Joe S. Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm#Age -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Joe S." <JoeS@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0EC4F9E5-2E60-448A-A107-7B085BC764C5@microsoft.com... > Employee benefit enrollment requires the age of each employee as of a > specific date, such as 1/1/2005. Given the date of birth, how would this be > calculated? > -- > Joe ...

Conditional formatting a date range
If I have a column of dates that are manual entered what is the formula to conditionally format them based on a date range of three months before the current date to the current date and another three months after the current date to the current date? Assume the dates are in column A, starting with A1. Highlight all the dates, with A1 as the active cell, and click on Format | Conditional Formatting. In the dialogue box you should select Formula Is rather than Cell Value Is and then enter this formula: =3DAND(A1>=3DTODAY()-91,A1<=3DTODAY()) Click on the Format button and choose the ...

Date/Time stamp in Memo Field
Hi all..is it possible to programmatically insert Now() when text in a Memo field becomes edited? Thanks for all help! If it has to be entered directly in the memo field tetxbox: Private Sub MemoFieldName_AfterUpdate() If IsNull(Me.MemoFieldName.OldValue) Then Me.MemoFieldName = Now & " " & Me.MemoFieldName Else Me.MemoFieldName = Left(Me.MemoFieldName, Len(Me.MemoFieldName.OldValue)) & " " & Now & " " & Right(Me.MemoFieldName, Len(Me.MemoFieldName) - Len(Me. MemoFieldName.OldValue)) End If Me.Dirty = False End...

Add Actual End Date to Resolved Cases view
Hi We would like to add the actual end date to the Case General Tab or possibly to the Resolved Cases and/or My Resolved Cases view. I know that the Actual End Date is available on the Service Activity and Case Resolution but this field is not available for the Case. Any workaround for this? Thanks Mark ...

due dates #5
thanks alot guys I have it working now this will save me a ton of scanning over dates with a visual que I have 8 pages with 6 rows of due dates on each pag -- canma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- canman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1459 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26223 Glad to hear that, canman ! Thanks for the feedback -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Please respond in thread xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "canman" <canman.1czh20@excelforum-n...

how do I forecast a 15% increase over 7 months?
Excel 2003 I have a YTD actual productivity number and need to forecast what the productivity would need to be over each of the next 7 months to achieve a 15% full year increase. The result would need to include the Headcount reduction/increase for each month. Productivity = (transaction/headcount)*(YTD Sales Days/monthly Sales Days) I have each month's transactions, YTD Sales days and montly Sales Days. Is this possible? Do you mean to say have estimates of transactions, YTD sales days, and monthly sales days already projected for the next 7 months? If so, and if you're ...