How do I set up a payroll spreadsheet will update weekly?

I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how to set up a payroll
spreadsheet that uses a formula to update payroll weekly
0
torit (1)

Try this Microsoft link. I think that it is probably what you need.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA010843671033.aspx

--
Regards,

OssieMac

"torit" wrote:

> I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how to set up a payroll
> spreadsheet that uses a formula to update payroll weekly
0
OssieMac (238)
3/21/2009 3:53:01 AM
"torit" wrote:
> I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how
> to set up a payroll spreadsheet that uses a formula
> to update payroll weekly

If you are "not familiar with Excel" -- and your question reflects complete
lack of knowledge about it (asking for "a" formula) -- you should get
professional help.  I mean from an Excel programmer :-).  Actually, a
professional bookkeeper or accountant who knows Excel.

I would not rely on any template.  Payroll maintenance is affected by a lot
of state law as well as federal law.  No template can possibly handle the
varied law for all states.  And I would even be suspicious of the correctness
in handling federal law correctly.

You are way over your head.  Don't trust yourself to do this right.
>You are way over your head.
>Don't trust yourself to do this right.

You have to start somewhere! <g>

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"joeu2004@hotmail.com" <joeu2004hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:721396C7-5DA1-4A7F-9B70-EEFDB0A25F01@microsoft.com...
> "torit" wrote:
>> I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how
>> to set up a payroll spreadsheet that uses a formula
>> to update payroll weekly
>
> If you are "not familiar with Excel" -- and your question reflects
> complete
> lack of knowledge about it (asking for "a" formula) -- you should get
> professional help.  I mean from an Excel programmer :-).  Actually, a
> professional bookkeeper or accountant who knows Excel.
>
> I would not rely on any template.  Payroll maintenance is affected by a
> lot
> of state law as well as federal law.  No template can possibly handle the
> varied law for all states.  And I would even be suspicious of the
> correctness
> in handling federal law correctly.
>
> You are way over your head.  Don't trust yourself to do this right.

0
biffinpitt (3172)
3/21/2009 6:09:52 PM
T. Valko wrote:
>> You are way over your head.
>> Don't trust yourself to do this right.
>
> You have to start somewhere! <g>

Yes but payroll is NOT the place to start!
besides, there are so many commercial packages available right across
the price range, that will take care of everything, including taxes and
the legal side, why re-invent the wheel?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level
"T. Valko" wrote:
> >You are way over your head.
> >Don't trust yourself to do this right.
>
> You have to start somewhere! <g>

Yes, but not with payroll -- unless it is a classroom situation.

You are trying to be cute, I know.  But this is a serious matter.  In the
US, at least -- and note that the OP did indicate the country -- payroll
management involves a fiduciary duty.  Failure to carry out that duty can
result in serious civil, if not criminal, prosecution and litigation, or at
least it will have financial consequences (e.g. IRS penalties and interest).

For all we know, the OP is a professional bookkeeper or account who
understands that fiduciary duty.  But I hope you agree that the nature of the
OP's question reflects that the OP is totally clueless about Excel -- "a"
formula to update payroll weekly?!

If the OP "has to start somewhere", it should probably be a beginner's class
in Excel, not crafting a payroll spreadsheet.

Just my opinion.

----- original posting -----

"T. Valko" wrote:
> >You are way over your head.
> >Don't trust yourself to do this right.
>
> You have to start somewhere! <g>
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "joeu2004@hotmail.com" <joeu2004hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:721396C7-5DA1-4A7F-9B70-EEFDB0A25F01@microsoft.com...
> > "torit" wrote:
> >> I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how
> >> to set up a payroll spreadsheet that uses a formula
> >> to update payroll weekly
> >
> > If you are "not familiar with Excel" -- and your question reflects
> > complete
> > lack of knowledge about it (asking for "a" formula) -- you should get
> > professional help.  I mean from an Excel programmer :-).  Actually, a
> > professional bookkeeper or accountant who knows Excel.
> >
> > I would not rely on any template.  Payroll maintenance is affected by a
> > lot
> > of state law as well as federal law.  No template can possibly handle the
> > varied law for all states.  And I would even be suspicious of the
> > correctness
> > in handling federal law correctly.
> >
> > You are way over your head.  Don't trust yourself to do this right.

Geez!

Sorry, that'll be the last time I try to inject some "light banter" in a
post you reply to.

--

in message news:E6C18569-690B-45AB-88A5-2F79C1E2DDDD@microsoft.com...
> "T. Valko" wrote:
>> >You are way over your head.
>> >Don't trust yourself to do this right.
>>
>> You have to start somewhere! <g>
>
> Yes, but not with payroll -- unless it is a classroom situation.
>
> You are trying to be cute, I know.  But this is a serious matter.  In the
> US, at least -- and note that the OP did indicate the country -- payroll
> management involves a fiduciary duty.  Failure to carry out that duty can
> result in serious civil, if not criminal, prosecution and litigation, or
> at
> least it will have financial consequences (e.g. IRS penalties and
> interest).
>
> For all we know, the OP is a professional bookkeeper or account who
> understands that fiduciary duty.  But I hope you agree that the nature of
> the
> OP's question reflects that the OP is totally clueless about Excel -- "a"
> formula to update payroll weekly?!
>
> If the OP "has to start somewhere", it should probably be a beginner's
> class
> in Excel, not crafting a payroll spreadsheet.
>
> Just my opinion.
>

> ----- original posting -----
>
> "T. Valko" wrote:
>> >You are way over your head.
>> >Don't trust yourself to do this right.
>>
>> You have to start somewhere! <g>
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "joeu2004@hotmail.com" <joeu2004hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote
>> in message news:721396C7-5DA1-4A7F-9B70-EEFDB0A25F01@microsoft.com...
>> >
>> > If you are "not familiar with Excel" -- and your question reflects
>> > complete
>> > lack of knowledge about it (asking for "a" formula) -- you should get
>> > professional help.  I mean from an Excel programmer :-).  Actually, a
>> > professional bookkeeper or accountant who knows Excel.
>> >
>> > I would not rely on any template.  Payroll maintenance is affected by a
>> > lot
>> > of state law as well as federal law.  No template can possibly handle
>> > the
>> > varied law for all states.  And I would even be suspicious of the
>> > correctness
>> > in handling federal law correctly.
>> >
>> > You are way over your head.  Don't trust yourself to do this right.

0
biffinpitt (3172)
3/21/2009 9:18:02 PM
"T. Valko" wrote:
> Geez!  Sorry, that'll be the last time I try to inject
> some "light banter" in a post you reply to.

And it'll probably be the last time that Obama makes "light banter" in
reference to any special group (like the Special Olympics). ;-) ;-)

I guess we are all guilty of over-reacting from time to time.  Mea culpa!
On Mar 21, 1:18 pm, "T. Valko" <biffinp...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Geez!  Sorry, that'll be the last time I try to
> inject some "light banter" in a post you reply to.

FYIm, I responded using the MS "discussion group" web interface, but
the response does not appear in Google Groups.  It might not appear on
your news server either.

This is a recurring, albeit intermittent problem.  My first response
in this thread also does not appear in Google Groups, but my second
response does.  All of my responses in this thread were posted using
the MSDG web interface.

Normally, I do not use the MSDG web interface.  However, I do use it
when the initial article does not in Google Groups, and I want to
respond to the initial article or to another response in the thread
that does not appear in Google Groups.

----- original posting -----

On Mar 21, 1:18=A0pm, "T. Valko" <biffinp...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Geez!
>
> Sorry, that'll be the last time I try to inject some "light banter" in a
> post you reply to.
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>
> "joeu2...@hotmail.com" <joeu2004hotmail...@discussions.microsoft.com> wro=
te
> in messagenews:E6C18569-690B-45AB-88A5-2F79C1E2DDDD@microsoft.com...

> >> You have to start somewhere! <g>
>
> > Yes, but not with payroll -- unless it is a classroom situation.
>
> > You are trying to be cute, I know. =A0But this is a serious matter. =A0=
In the
> > US, at least -- and note that the OP did indicate the country -- payrol=
> > management involves a fiduciary duty. =A0Failure to carry out that duty=
 can
> > result in serious civil, if not criminal, prosecution and litigation, o=
> > at
> > least it will have financial consequences (e.g. IRS penalties and
> > interest).
>
> > For all we know, the OP is a professional bookkeeper or account who
> > understands that fiduciary duty. =A0But I hope you agree that the natur=
e of
> > the
> > OP's question reflects that the OP is totally clueless about Excel -- "=
a"
> > formula to update payroll weekly?!
>
> > If the OP "has to start somewhere", it should probably be a beginner's
> > class
> > in Excel, not crafting a payroll spreadsheet.
>
> > Just my opinion.
>
> > ----- original posting -----

> >> You have to start somewhere! <g>
>
> >> --
> >> Biff
> >> Microsoft Excel MVP
>
> >> "joeu2...@hotmail.com" <joeu2004hotmail...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >> wrote
> >> in messagenews:721396C7-5DA1-4A7F-9B70-EEFDB0A25F01@microsoft.com...

0
joeu2004 (766)
3/22/2009 7:17:23 AM
>It might not appear on your news server either.

Yeah, I see it.

It's all good!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"joeu2004" <joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Mar 21, 1:18 pm, "T. Valko" <biffinp...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Geez!  Sorry, that'll be the last time I try to
> inject some "light banter" in a post you reply to.

FYIm, I responded using the MS "discussion group" web interface, but
the response does not appear in Google Groups.  It might not appear on
your news server either.

This is a recurring, albeit intermittent problem.  My first response
in this thread also does not appear in Google Groups, but my second
response does.  All of my responses in this thread were posted using
the MSDG web interface.

Normally, I do not use the MSDG web interface.  However, I do use it
when the initial article does not in Google Groups, and I want to
respond to the initial article or to another response in the thread
that does not appear in Google Groups.

----- original posting -----

On Mar 21, 1:18 pm, "T. Valko" <biffinp...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Geez!
>
> Sorry, that'll be the last time I try to inject some "light banter" in a
> post you reply to.
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>
> "joeu2...@hotmail.com" <joeu2004hotmail...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote
> in messagenews:E6C18569-690B-45AB-88A5-2F79C1E2DDDD@microsoft.com...

> >> You have to start somewhere! <g>
>
> > Yes, but not with payroll -- unless it is a classroom situation.
>
> > You are trying to be cute, I know. But this is a serious matter. In the
> > US, at least -- and note that the OP did indicate the country -- payroll
> > management involves a fiduciary duty. Failure to carry out that duty can
> > result in serious civil, if not criminal, prosecution and litigation, or
> > at
> > least it will have financial consequences (e.g. IRS penalties and
> > interest).
>
> > For all we know, the OP is a professional bookkeeper or account who
> > understands that fiduciary duty. But I hope you agree that the nature of
> > the
> > OP's question reflects that the OP is totally clueless about Excel --
> > "a"
> > formula to update payroll weekly?!
>
> > If the OP "has to start somewhere", it should probably be a beginner's
> > class
> > in Excel, not crafting a payroll spreadsheet.
>
> > Just my opinion.
>
> > ----- original posting -----

> >> You have to start somewhere! <g>
>
> >> --
> >> Biff
> >> Microsoft Excel MVP
>
> >> "joeu2...@hotmail.com" <joeu2004hotmail...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >> wrote
> >> in messagenews:721396C7-5DA1-4A7F-9B70-EEFDB0A25F01@microsoft.com...

0
biffinpitt (3172)
3/22/2009 5:01:45 PM
On Mar 22, 9:01=A0am, "T. Valko" <biffinp...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > It might not appear on your news server either.
>
> Yeah, I see it.

Interesting.  What news server and newsreader do you use?

This might help me understand the root cause of the problem.
0
joeu2004 (766)
3/22/2009 6:59:15 PM
Server: msnews.microsoft.com

Application: OutLook Express

--

On Mar 22, 9:01 am, "T. Valko" <biffinp...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > It might not appear on your news server either.
>
> Yeah, I see it.

Interesting.  What news server and newsreader do you use?

This might help me understand the root cause of the problem.

0
biffinpitt (3172)

Setting up Server information
I would like to know how to locate incoming and outgoing mail server information. Another problem I have is knowledge about how many various email account types I can use as I have an email address with yahoo and msn. -- Microsoft questioning "inevitable" <inevitable@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E8A5145-F746-40B1-B40F-48AD423E816E@microsoft.com... >I would like to know how to locate incoming and outgoing mail server > information. Another problem I have is knowledge about how many various > email > account types I can use as I have an ema...

RMS Troubleshooting and Basic Set up v4/3/2005
http://www.simonajewelry.com/rms.aspx I have decided to post the information on the net because ms newsgroup does not have a long message retention. Natt ...

multiple NTDS Settings
to whom it may concern: is it possible to have more than 1 NTDS Settings in 1 DC? any effect on this? thank you. On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:14:31 +0800, "sherwin de claro" <sherwin.de.claro@gmail.com> wrote: >to whom it may concern: > >is it possible to have more than 1 NTDS Settings in 1 DC? > >any effect on this? > > >thank you. > What do you mean here? If you're talking about AD Sites and Services then no, only one. You can have many replication conenctions under that, but only one "NTDS Settings" under the DC. yes its on AD Si...

Setting random number range based on query, not table
I have a "quiz" form that randomly pulls up questions from my table. It works fine, and I don't mind that it repeats questions. This allows me to sit and review for as long as I want. The problem is, that I want to use criteria in a query to limit the available questions. If I base this form on a query and limit the number of questions, the code I am using is still setting the maximum number as the number of records in my table. In the past, I had a similar database (which I have lost) that would open the form, set the selector to the last record available to the form,...

Trigger Macro on Open Spreadsheet
How can we force a macro to execute whenever a spreadsheet is first opened? Hi do you mean the file? If yes either name your macro Auto_Open() or put your code in the workbook event Workbook_Open() -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Beckie Davis wrote: > How can we force a macro to execute whenever a spreadsheet > is first opened? ...

UPDATE using SUM
I have a stored procedure where I am trying to update a temp table in the flow of the sp. I have tried the code below but it gives me an error "Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'GROUP' and I understand the error but don't know how to get around it and still get sums. Can anyone help? Thanks. UPDATE #tempInventoryAnalysis SET [PTDSalesQty] = SUM(CASE WHEN MGB.dbo.tblArHistHeader.InvcDate BETWEEN @StartDate AND @EndDate THEN MGB.dbo.tblArHistDetail.QtyShipSell ELSE 0 END), [YTDSalesQty] = SUM(MGB.dbo.tblArHistDetail.Qt...

I can not set an msn account
Hi. I could set a free hotmail account using outlook. I receintly bought an extra storage account using msn. Now I have problems trying to set the msn account using outlook, in spite I could set the hotmail account without problem. I can read and send mail using the browser. Can somebody help me to set the msn account using outlook? I am receiving the error message: Configuration: Account: MSN Server: http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp User name: username@msn.com Protocol: HTTPMail Port: 0 Secure(SSL): 0 Code: 800ccc19 ...

Big difference in performance
I wrote a class on which I perform unit-testing before integration in the main development line, the unit-testing and main dev being two separate projects. I wrote a routine which constructs a data structure in the class, which uses CArrays, vectors, and the nth_element routine from STL, with the routine being recursive. Now, in the unit-test project, the routine takes ~3-4 seconds to execute. In the main development code, it takes ~70 seconds to execute. This is measured for the routine itself (no setup or cleanup), same data as input, same computer, and both projects compiled for debug. ...

Update Download problem
I downloaded the latest update for Outlook 2000. I did NOT have the installation cd handy. Okay, usually no problem, the instal quits. However this time, it did quit, yet now I am unable to open excel. It launches the instal program. The download was for Outlook. It has me boggled. Outlook, Word and Access open with no known problems. I have tried to open excel different times/ways. It continues to try to load the update. Any reasoning on the subject??? Thanks* ...

Tab control question about updates
Searched but couldn't see this discussed. I have a form with 5 tabs. Data can be loaded three ways, manually entered, imported from a text file, and imported from a Word template. On one of the tabs (the second) when the user enters information such as a social sec. number (SSN) that matches a file already in the system, a flag goes off and alerts the user. Works fine. On the import functions, the data is loaded and appears correctly, but when the user moves to the second tab where the SSN number appears, it does not set off the flag when the page opens. I can make it happen with a c...

TargetInvocationException in Update Invoice in Microsoft Dynamics
Hi, we get the follow error mssage when we try update the invoice object. But, in the same class, we update the salesorder object with sucess. Obs. Our code is a custom page. Any ideas what this could be caused by? Tks Clau >Crm Exception: Message: , ErrorCode: -2147197184, InnerException: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80045F00): <details></details> at Microsoft.Crm.Platform.ComProxy.CRMInvoiceClass.Update(CUserAuth& Caller, String InvoiceId, String InvoiceXml) [2006-10-10 12:16:47.4] Process: w3wp |Thread: 8708 |Category: Platform |User: d12c7...

How do I set up formulas to update graphs dynamically
Hello, I have the following information I need to graph date Feb-08 Mar-08 Apr-08 May-08 Jun-08 Jul-08 burn 116 23 254 inventory 3035 3011 2757 The "date" is the x-axis label and the "burn" and "inventory" are the values on the y-axis. If the values for burn and inventory are blank for a particular date, I don't want the information plotted. As I add values for each date, I would like the graph to be updated automatically. I understand I need to define a named range and use it in the graph, however, I have not been successful in doing this. Also, even t...

Automatically display set text based on users composition
Hi, im trying to do something really simple, trouble is i dont know what the feature's called to be able to search for tips on how to do it. Basically in outlook messages, when a user begins writing a sentence e.g. "in the terms of" i need a tag to pop up that allows the user to press enter and then the remainder of what they will want to type in will be inserted in, its a yellow tag that comes up above the words. i dont know where it needs to be created and enabled. Cheers, Rhys. ...

Using Contact's Categories to set message categories
Is there any way to have a rule that sets an incoming message category to the categor(ies) that the sender of the message is assign to in my contacts list? In other words, I have 'George Washington' in my contacts list. George has a category of 'prez' assigned to him. When I get a message from George, I'd like that message to be assigned the category of 'prez' as well. I know I can manually setup a rule to do this for specific contacts, but it would be so much more useful to manage the rule's behavior by setting categories in the contact list. No. Here&...

Allocation Method set to None
Not sure I understand Allocation Method set to None. Orders must be allocated before they can be fulfilled. So what exactly does setting Allocation Method set to None do? How then does the order get allocated? Thx ...

multiple fies updating one file
Hi, How would I setup an excel sheet that needs to collect numbers from other excel sheets. The rows and fields numbers will keep growing. I know how to reference a cell in a file but not sure how you can quickly create a reference to a range of cells and how about when the range keeps growing. Thank you Hi Vic; You can select and copy the range you want to link, then go to then go to the receiving sheet and click the top right cell. Click Edit / Paste Special and select Paste Link. This will link the entire range. If you happen to be running Office 2007 you can right click into the ...

Dynamically Setting a forms Input Parameter Property
Hi , I'm working with a ADP project, I have a form where I set the recordset property at design time to a SQLServer stored procedure that has one parameter. If I set the Input Parameter property of the form at design time all is well. However I'd like to be a little more flexible in that I have the calling object that Opens the form using Docmd.Openform pass OpenArgs to the form. On the Form_Open event I set the InputParameter property of form using the value in OpenArgs. The problem is I'm still prompted with the parameter popup..if I press Ok everything continue on and ...

Quarter-End Payroll Reports #2
When trying to process quarter end payroll reports I am receiving and unhandle script exception: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Could not find stored procedure 'SCSB.dbo.uprGetPension'. ...

Setting Up Windows Mail 01-05-10
I am having trouble setting up windows mail. This is the message I get "The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Hello', Account: 'Work', Server: 'pop3', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E" I don't know what to enter when I go into accounts & properties. I have Time Warner Cable internet and I am working off of a laptop. "NormaH" <NormaH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B119C5BC-0455-4A2B-8346-FD86236D0F9C@microsoft.com... >I am having ...

how do I set a semi-log plot on Excel
Create your chart. Double click on the vertical axis, and on the scale tab, check the Logarithmic Scale box. If you decide you want a log-log chart, you need to start with a scatter chart, In a scatter chart, both axes offer the Logarithmic Scale option. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ ...

Publisher 2007 / Vista will not print
I get message "Publisher cannot complete the operation" when trying to print. Print preview shows image just fine. Am able to print other Office applications (and other non-Office apps) without difficulty. This is a recent problem, occurring only within the last month; prior to that, no difficulties. Is your printer driver current? Check with the manufacturer's web site. Try this, in the Printer Folder chose a different default printer. Open Publisher and your Publisher file. When viewing your document in print preview, minimize the screen, open the Printer folder, sel...

Set print width to page width in VBA
IF I set the width, e.g. ActiveWorksheet.PageSetup..FitToPagesWide = 1 It automatically makes it 1 page tall, not good on long sheets, how do I set it to scale 1 page wide and however many pages tall? -- A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer. I recorded a macro when I did it manually. These are the lines that I'd keep: With ActiveSheet.PageSetup .Zoom = False .FitToPagesWide = 1 .FitToPagesTall = False End With Trevor Best wrote: > > IF I set the width, e.g. > > ActiveWorksheet.PageSetup..FitToPagesWide = 1 > > It automat...

Task Update in PWA 2007
Hi, Is it possible to enter some actual in the My Tasks page of PWA 2007, for example to enter some percent complete, then to get the progress of that task in all the PWA views without any validation via Project Professional? If so, how? Thanks for your help! Xiao -- No, this is not possible. Even though the PM can create a Rule to automatically accept the task update, the system DOES NOT publish the update after accepting it. And if the update to the schedule isn't published, it is not visible anywhere in PWA. In conjunction with rules, a software developer...

Profits of IE 7.0 to 8.0 update if usage for adminstrative tasks only
OS: XP, Vista and 7 Case: IE used for administrative tasks only, never for web browsing What are the benefits of upgrading the IE from 7.x to 8.x in this case ? This FAQ answers common enterprise customer questions about Windows Internet Explorer 8. "Windows Internet Explorer 8 FAQ for Business" http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e1da2f8c-f982-4cae-a83a-831188e57df9&displaylang=en --- Leonard Grey Errare humanum est kakii wrote: > > OS: XP, Vista and 7 > Case: IE used for administrative tasks only, never for web browsing &...