How do I move workbooks w/o having to reset the links?

I would like to make copies of folders containing several workbooks, which
changes the path to the source workbook for the numerous links within.  Then,
when updates are offered, there are some links that cannot be updated because
the source cannot be found.  It's clear that the path has been changed, but
is there any way to prevent the path from changing?
0
Chris6982 (632)

Not sure what you mean by keeping the path from changing.  You should be able
to fix the links that are not updating (because the source was moved) by
going into Edit/Links.  Then, select the source file that is not updating,
click Change Source, and browse for the correct location of the source file.

"Chris" wrote:

> I would like to make copies of folders containing several workbooks, which
> changes the path to the source workbook for the numerous links within.  Then,
> when updates are offered, there are some links that cannot be updated because
> the source cannot be found.  It's clear that the path has been changed, but
> is there any way to prevent the path from changing?
0
jmb (270)

Click in cell w/ formula and get colors in referenced cells
Hi, When you click in a cell with a formula, Excel will then put color around the cells that are referenced. Somehow I turned that feature off. Now I do not get colors in th other cells. Where is that option to turn it back on???? I've looke and looked but I just can't find that option. Thanks for the help -- albea ----------------------------------------------------------------------- albean's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2875 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48436 ...

Merging List w/ a Form
Can anyone assist me with merging a form created in Excel with a database (or list) also created in Excel? I know how to merge an Excel worksheet to be used as a database for Word in the Mail Merge command, but my FORM, with which I am trying to merge my database, was created in Excel and needs to remain under its format (not be converted to Word). I am filtering the information I need from the database to be imported to the Excel Form. Any help would be appreciated. Thank-you. If you're trying to display information from one record in the database, there are sample files here...

find data in multiple open workbooks
Im looking to find data in multiple workbooks that are all opened at once. Is there a way of doing this? ...

Moving my files to a new computer
So I've copied my old .pst file to my new computer, used Tools>options>mail setup>data files to introduce outlook to it, and reset it to to default and removed the old entry so there is just the one entry in the list. Both my new and old outlooks are 2003. So far so good and I can see my mail folders and contacts in the left hand pane, *but* tools>address book is not showing any of my contact addresses, nor will check names show them. Anyone know whay or can point me at an article that tells me what to do? Also, I have several email accounts is there an easy way of movi...

Moving data between Excel sheets
"I have an excel spreadsheet that has 2 sheets, one has a list of open issues" and one a list of "closed issues". One of the fields on the "open issues" sheet has a "closed date" field. Whenever a date is typed into this field, I would like for it to be moved to the "closed issues" sheet, to avoid duplicate, manual entries being done. Can anyone help me with the best way to achieve this? Can this be achieved by using Macro's. Any help with this, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Suggest you send this to the programming newsgroup...

MSCRM w/ SBS2k
Hi, If I have an existing domain, can I add SBS2k to the domain as one of the domain's DC's? Or do I have to create a new domain for SBS2k and trust it to my existing? We would like to install MSCRM in our existing business network using SBS. Thanks, Do SBS will not allow you to create a trust with another Domain. "Do" <doduong12141214@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23rx8xwpvDHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... Hi, If I have an existing domain, can I add SBS2k to the domain as one of the domain's DC's? Or do I have to create a new domain for SBS2k...

Linking text within Excel-- help!
I have a mailing list that I will be importing into Excel, and am trying to link the names on the list to invoices for those people on the list. Can I do this in Excel by using links? The Excel help feature only seems to describe links with figures (numbers), not text. e.g. Mr. Bill Jones, 123 Main Street, Middletown, OK 40404 (each word in its own cell in the mailing list worksheet) ....would link to a worksheet that had Bill Jones' name and address but also indicted that he purchased a $100 product on June 15 and his bill has been paid in full. My questions: 1. Each of the 300 or...

rules question
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C58E9B.93495960 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I'd like to make a rule similar to the one I have - move all emails from a certain SENDER to a specified FOLDER. I want to also make a rule to move to a specified folder, when an email is sent to a specific USER. I don't see how to do this in the canned rules? Has anyone got creative with this and made it work? I can get it to do a COPY, but not a move. Thanks!!! ------=_NextPart_000_0008_0...

Lines of text move when viewed in print preview and printed
I am inserting pictures with-in paragraphs of text. I have tried formating as both exact and in-line, using top/bottom. The text moves up 1-2 lines when printed or viewed in print preview. This change in text lines also happens when view is changed from 50% to 100%. I am working with two column text and the pictures are inserted into each column. How can I fix this problem? What version of Windows and Publisher are you using??? You people that think we have crystal balls or are mind readers are exasperating! -- >-----Original Message----- >What version of Windows and Publi...

Links won't open internet sites
Links sent to me in email show up as blue and the curser turns into the hand when over it but clicking on the link does nothing, it won't open a site on the internet. What do I have to adjust? Have turned off firewall and problem continues. Help! Thanks... Using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Home - Internet Secuity installed but all turned off (other than antivirus) ...

CRM 1.2
I am going to move the CRM SQL databases to a new server. We will also be moving Great Plains off the CRM server and on to the new SQL server. We are bouncing around the idea of naming the new SQL server to the name that the current CRM server uses and renaming the current CRM server. The thinking here is that we won't have to touch the Great Plains clients. What kinds of issues can I expect in this scenario? I believe that CRM "might" make us of the SID in which case I would need to use SysPrep to create the new one? I wouldn't think that this is that unusal of a proje...

Save Link Problem
Hi I run Windows 2000 & Excell 2000 with service pack 3. I have an autoshape button that I have added a hyperlink to which opens a html file on a server. When I add the hyperlink and press the autoshape it takes me to the file ok. I can do this as many times as I like and it works ok. The problem arises after I save the spreadsheet. As soon as I save the spreadsheet the hyperlink no longer works. I get the error message "The address of this site is not valid, Check the address and try again". To add some more mystery to this, I emailed the file to a friend and he inserte...

Macro to open print window and set to print entire workbook
I need help getitng a macro created to open the print window, then se it to 'print the entire workbook'. Then the macro would stop. At whic the user would then specify additional specs for printing. I.E. # o pages, paper size etc. I am trying to default the 'print entire work book option' withou restricting the user from other print specs. I have a macro that will print once a button is clicked on th spreadsheet but it goes directly to print and does not let the user se other specs. I.E. # of pages, etc. Thanks in advanc -- retseor ---------------------------------------...

entryfield linked to selectionlist
Hallo, I created a form with a selectionlist of all belgian cities. Next to this field I created an entryfield where the zip-codes should appear What I want is this entryfield to show the zipcode when the up and downarrow of the selectionfield is clicked In the "after update" propertie of the selectionlist I wrote: Dim db As Database Dim tb As Recordset Dim f As Form Set db = CurrentDb() Set tb = db.OpenRecordset("postnummers") Set f = Forms![leerkrachten] tb.MoveFirst Do Until tb.EOF If tb!gte = f!gem_lk Then f!PN_lk = tb!PN Exit Do End If tb.MoveNext Loop tb!gte citi...

Merging Workbooks
HELP !!I have two large but seperate workbooks (2000 rows each) that both have two common columns that contains the same misc numbers and text (such as premise number and street name). Other columns contain differenct data, such as name, or community in one workbook and date of hire and salary in the other workbook. I want to blend the two workbooks into one workbook combining the common data and then adding the remaining columns so that I end up with a single row that I could sort by premise number and or street name, but can't find a solution within "help" I'd cr...

Moving CRM
Hi All. I am in the process of relocating CRM 1.2 to a new SBS 2003 Server. If I have not created any custom reports with Crytal Reports, is it really necessary for me to back that up and then restore it on the new server? Since I have only been using the default reports, shouldn't everything be fine??? THanks! Jake, You shouldn't need to migrate the reports. But, are you using the redeployment tool for this? If so, then there may be some reasons that this introduces that make it a requirement. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------...

How to reference workbook name in hyperlink formula?
In order to simplify the maintenance of workbook formulas I need to reference workbook name in hyperlink formula =[myWorkbok.xls]mySheet!$E4 in this way =[A1]mySheet!$E4 given the file name stored in cell A1 Cell A1 : myWorkbook How do I write the formula to make it work? Will it work even if the referenced workbook is closed? Regards Frank Krogh The function you'd want to use is =indirect(). But =indirect() won't work if the sending file is closed. Laurent Longre has an addin (morefunc.xll) at: http://xcell05.free.fr/ or http://xcell05.free.fr/morefunc/english/index.htm ...

Links to closed files not opening.
I have a customer with a set of rather convoluted mish-mash of spreadsheets, basically running an entire company. One spreadsheet (SSa) has a number of links to 4 others (SSb,c,d). Everything works as expected if SSb,c,d are open, & then SSa is opened, but if SSa is opened before SSb,c & d, cells in SSa display #VALUE!. I have tried the same set of files on several machines, running Excel 2000,XP & 2003, all act in the same manner. I have tried to recreate the problem with a set of files linked in a similar way, but in any case, the links were able to access data in closed fi...

linked pages not working properly in mspub2000 for windows
Hi, On a pc, I created a 31 page document possibly done in Pub.98 that functioned perfectly. Now, while trying to edit/revise that document on a new computer in Pub 2000, finding that when I add new/additional text, instead of the text linking to the next page, it links to a page at the end of the document. For example, I am typing on page 20 and instead of the text continuing onto page 21, it jumps to the end of the document (page 31) I have tried to create links between pg 21 & 22, but can't create a link- I get a message that there is 'text'. It will only link to a bla...

Distribute an excel workbook shortcut
Oh Wise Ones, Please forgive me if this is not the proper forum for this question but I'm not sure where to post it, and I feel some of you may have encountered this before. I have an excel spreadsheet that I would like to place a shortcut to on peoples desktops with the file to open readonly. Has anyone done this before? I guess it would require some type of batch file. I would send it as a link in Outlook and the recipients would double-click on the attachment, then the shortcut would be installed to their desktop to be opened readonly when start...

how to create application-wide macros not workbook-wide
how to create application-wide macros? I have general purpose macros, for example, toc-generator based on tab names and hyperlink them to each page. do I have to view-code and create the macros every time I want to attach them? You can save your workbook as an addin (*.xla). The provide the user someway of running those macros. For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach does it in his menumaker workbook: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip53.htm Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar: http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html (from Debra Dalgleis...

link ALL emails to/from CRM contacts
We want to link ALL incoming and outgoing emails to CRM contacts automatically without having to depend on the user or owner settings. There may be several people who work with a contact so usign the contact owner doesn't work for us. We were thinking we could do this somehow with an exchange journal mailbox and an Outlook client running. However we can't seem to find a way aroudn the contact 'owner' issue. Will the journal mailbox have to be the contact owner for all CRM contacts for this to work? Is there any other way to do this? ...

linked values not displayed unless source file open
i have an excel sheet with cells linked to cells in another seperate excel file. Excel will not show the values unless I have the source file open. this always used to work with the source file closed. Now the target file shows #value. this is a major nuisance if there are 7 or 8 linked files! please help. Sandy There are some worksheet functions that don't work with closed workbooks. =indirect(), =countif(), =sumif() are a few. If you share your formula, you may find that there's an alternative that you can use. Sandyc wrote: > > i have an excel sheet with cells l...

Exchange Blocking Emails w/ Attachments
We put in a new Exchange 2003 server a few weeks ago, and all of sudden, any emails with file attachments are not being delivered to the recipients. I am sure it is something on our end. If I check the email from our webhosting control panel, the emails ARE there, WITH the attachments. They are some how getting lost on our end. Exchange is not just blocking the attachments, it's blocking the entire email.. the email is just getting delivered NOWHERE... any advise would be greatly apprecitated. Thanks in advance! Hi I am having sort of the same problem... it doesn't happen t...

Workbook automatically unhiding rows upon opening
We have a shared workbook that our admin staff updates, and our sales staff accesses when on the road. Recently, some of the admin's computers, and all of the sales staff's laptops have begun unhiding all of the rows in this workbook when they open it. For others, the hidden rows stay hidden. I've been tasked with making sure the rows stay hidden upon opening, but I cannot figure out why this is happening. Help? It could be the two groups are actually accessing two different similarly named files.....could be same name in two different directories....problem is common in...