How do I force all capital in a column of lower case names?

I read the help, but it doesn't tell me where to enter the formula.

If you do not have a blank column next to the mentioned column, then insert
one.  Enter the formula in a cell adjacent to the cell you want to change,
and copy down.  Then copy this column, go to the original column, select a
cel, right click and click on Paste Special, tick values.  Delete the helper
column.

Iow, with you lower case data in Column E, click on Column F, if not empty,
and insert a column.  F is then an empty column.  Say your data starts in E2,
then in F2 enter =UPPER(E2).  Move cursor to the bottom right hand corner of
the cell.  When it changes, double click.
--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman

"Dean-Xceldata" wrote:

> I read the help, but it doesn't tell me where to enter the formula.

Enter the formula in a helper column.

Assuming column A is your data in lower case.

In B1 enter  =UPPER(A1)

Double-click on the fill handle of B1 to copy down.

When happy, select column B and Edit>Paste Special(in place)>Values>OK>Esc.

Delete original column A

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:56:20 -0800, Dean-Xceldata
<Dean-Xceldata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I read the help, but it doesn't tell me where to enter the formula.

0
Gord
2/14/2007 8:45:38 PM
I just learned about this the other day. (I told you I was an Excel novice.)
That will save me a lot of time at work!

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

> Enter the formula in a helper column.
>
> Assuming column A is your data in lower case.
>
> In B1 enter  =UPPER(A1)
>
> Double-click on the fill handle of B1 to copy down.
>
> When happy, select column B and Edit>Paste Special(in
> place)>Values>OK>Esc.
>
> Delete original column A
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:56:20 -0800, Dean-Xceldata
> <Dean-Xceldata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I read the help, but it doesn't tell me where to enter the formula.

0
jl_paules (2769)
2/14/2007 8:48:59 PM
Joanne

What saves even more work is to use VBA to convert all cells in a selection at
once.

No formulas hence no special pasting after.

Chip Pearson has an add-in at his site for doing this.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm

Gord

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:48:59 -0500, "JoAnn Paules [MVP]"
<jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:

>I just learned about this the other day. (I told you I was an Excel novice.)
>That will save me a lot of time at work!

0
Gord
2/14/2007 9:43:36 PM
I have to be careful about using VBA. One - I'm clueless about VBA. Two - my
coworkers know less than I do and it just complicates their life. I really
want them to decide that they want to hire me direct after my contract with
them expires so I try to keep things simple if they are going to be using my
files.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

> Joanne
>
> What saves even more work is to use VBA to convert all cells in a
> selection at
> once.
>
> No formulas hence no special pasting after.
>
> Chip Pearson has an add-in at his site for doing this.
>
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm
>

> Gord
>
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:48:59 -0500, "JoAnn Paules [MVP]"
> <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I just learned about this the other day. (I told you I was an Excel
>>novice.)
>>That will save me a lot of time at work!

0
jl_paules (2769)
2/14/2007 9:49:17 PM
create a lot of complicated macros that they don't understand, then they are
bound to re-hire you, so they can continue working <bg>

--
---
HTH

Bob

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
>I have to be careful about using VBA. One - I'm clueless about VBA. Two -
>my coworkers know less than I do and it just complicates their life. I
>really want them to decide that they want to hire me direct after my
>contract with them expires so I try to keep things simple if they are going
>to be using my files.
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>
> ~~~~~
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>> Joanne
>>
>> What saves even more work is to use VBA to convert all cells in a
>> selection at
>> once.
>>
>> No formulas hence no special pasting after.
>>
>> Chip Pearson has an add-in at his site for doing this.
>>
>> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm
>>

>> Gord
>>
>> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:48:59 -0500, "JoAnn Paules [MVP]"
>> <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I just learned about this the other day. (I told you I was an Excel
>>>novice.)
>>>That will save me a lot of time at work!

0
bob.NGs (282)
2/15/2007 9:27:12 AM
Murphy's Law tends to hit me a lot. That would probably come back to bite me
on my ............ um, workbook.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"Bob Phillips" <bob.NGs@xxxx.com> wrote in message
> create a lot of complicated macros that they don't understand, then they
> are bound to re-hire you, so they can continue working <bg>
>
> --
> ---
> HTH
>
> Bob
>
> (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my
> addy)
>

> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have to be careful about using VBA. One - I'm clueless about VBA. Two -
>>my coworkers know less than I do and it just complicates their life. I
>>really want them to decide that they want to hire me direct after my
>>contract with them expires so I try to keep things simple if they are
>>going to be using my files.
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>
>> ~~~~~
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>

>> "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>>> Joanne
>>>
>>> What saves even more work is to use VBA to convert all cells in a
>>> selection at
>>> once.
>>>
>>> No formulas hence no special pasting after.
>>>
>>> Chip Pearson has an add-in at his site for doing this.
>>>
>>> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm
>>>

>>> Gord

0
jl_paules (2769)

Selecting a single column expands selection to span of merged cell
When selecting a single column, the selection expands to the span of a merged cell in that column. I cannot duplicate this behaviour on other Excel installations, we're using Excel 2003 SP2. Spent a morning googling for a solution but did not succeed. Help me guys, you're my last resort... -Jeroen I can duplicate that in xl2003 SP3 if I do it via code. But I can't duplicate it if I do it manually. You want to share the address of the merged cells and the column that you're selecting--and how you're selecting it. But each version of excel seems to behave differe...

Formating columns
Hi, I need help changing the column widths. Column A has a width setting of 15 for rows 1 - 30 but I want rows 31 - 35 to have a width setting of 5 Thank you Columns cannot have different width in different row. If you want to make a table use Word (or wood!) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "dbrumit" <dbrumit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E795F8F4-3CCF-4B96-B055-61EAE53DDEAE@microsoft.com... > Hi, I need help changing the column widths. > Column A has a width setting of 15 for rows 1 - 30 but I...

Using A variable for form name
Hi, I have a set of tables and forms with the same names. I've populated a listbox with the form/table names. I'd like to be able to show a form upon clicking the name in the listbox or a button. I've been trying diff things like the following (this is from a button): Text15 = Me.List10.ItemData(List10.ListIndex) a = Text15.Text a.Visible = True which is not working. Is it possible to show a form using a variable? Or is there another way of going about this? Thanks! I'm assuming Text15 is supposed to contain the name of a form? As long as the form is open...

Explorer Fileview who to Format Columns from VC ?
Hi, can anybody give me an tip, how to format an Column of the Explorer Fileview out of my VC Program ? For Example I will make the Column "Description" visible and position as Column 2. Many thanks Rolf Mamat ...

Displaying or showing a defined cell name in another cell

Lower Function
I'm trying to covert text in a column from proper case to all lower case and can't get the format of the command properly. If I want the function to affect the entire column where do I type the command? Thanks for your help. Harvey It isn't a command. It's a worksheet function. If it's column B to be converted, you must put the formula =LOWER(B1) in another column (I'd insert a new column C and put the formula there) and copy down as far as needed. Then Edit/Copy the column of formulas, then, without changing the selection, Edit/Paste Special and select the Values...

How do I format column containing date and time to only show the .
I'm trying to sort a worksheet by a column that has both date and time in it, and I would like to get rid of the date portion and sort strictly by time of day. use a help column and a formula like =MOD(A2;1) copy down and sort by the help column Regards, Peo Sjoblom "ColoradoKid" wrote: > I'm trying to sort a worksheet by a column that has both date and time in it, > and I would like to get rid of the date portion and sort strictly by time of > day. "ColoradoKid" wrote: > I'm trying to sort a worksheet by a column that has both date...

select and move columns by their name in header row
Hi I get a large ws with 70 - 100 cols each month. There is a header row, but the names of the cols are not always in the same order. I want to select 3 or 4 entire columns, and move them to a blank sheet in the same workbook "mdata". This code doesn't work in MS Excel 2007, but I can't figure out how to correct it. Sub cleanup() Sheets("cases-dump").Select date = WorksheetFunction.Match("Procedure Date", Rows("1:1"), 0) icd9 = WorksheetFunction.Match("Pre-op Diagnoses 1", Rows("1:1"), 0) cpt1 = Worksh...

Problems with Import: the company name does not get imported
I am trying to import my outlook contacts in CRM. The problem is that the company name does not get imported. Am I doing something wrong? What can I do in order to fix the problem. Thanks in advance for your help, Feliks Hi! I faced a similar problem. You can export the contacts to an excell file. Then you can move the "company" column to its own worksheet. After that, you need to import the company names into CRM as Accounts. You could use either the DMF or roll your own. I chose to roll my own. Also, since I am too lazy to move columns around in a spreadsheet. (I'm ...

Capital Item Checkbox
Include the Capital Item checkbox when viewing PO or receipts from Purchasing Item Detail Enquiry Zoom window. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=a5993e1a-7e56...

Change Host Name
My users have trouble e-mailing to this particular domain (@aci.on.ca). I cannot e-mail this domain either. Whenever an e-mail is sent to this domain an e-mail is sent back with the following message: Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified. <server1.myinternal.local #4.4.7>. I spoke with their tech guy and his response was I have to change my host (Helo) name in my exchange to the proper entry. Right now, the host name is pointing to server1.myinternal.local. We're running exchange 2003. My question is what do I change this host name to? Thanks for an...

Last Number in a column to that is not equal to zero
I have an inventory worksheet that I am having trouble with. The total daily inventory column updates daily. At the end of the column, I want a formula that gives the most recent inventory number. For instance 1 15,358 2 15,358 3 19,520 4 19,520 5 19,693 6 0 7 0 8 0 9 0 10 0 11 0 The final field in the inventory column would read 19693. There will always be a whole number for inventory, so the zeros will be replace with the number once the daily inventory is completed. one thing you can try. If you have a header row add +1 =COUNTIF(A:A,">0") -- Don Guillett SalesAid Softw...

How do you add name to a chart in Excel?
Hi, I am trying to add names to 3 charts, all in the same sheet But this code is giving runtime error Worksheets("Analysis").Activat With ActiveShee .ChartObjects("Chart 1").Chart.Name = "A density .ChartObjects("Chart 2").Name = "T- Distribution .ChartObjects("Chart 3").Name = "R-Distribution End Wit Any help is appreciated Thank What error? And what line does the VBE highlight? -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solution...

macro that copies all values of columns in column A
Hi, I need a macro that pastes all values from columnas B and C in A Thanks in advances Merry christmas You don't need a macro. In A1 put =B1&C1 and drag down as far as is needed. If you really want a macro, use this: HTH Otto Sub FillColA() Dim c As Long c = 1 Do Until Cells(c, 2) = "" Cells(c, 1) = Cells(c, 2) & Cells(c, 3) c = c + 1 Loop End Sub "1234" <altachicasaudaces@gmail.com> wrote in message news:83e8b616-a94b-470b-8839-addcbcf65c64@m3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I...

Printing Long Columns
I have a simple worksheet with order numbers in column A and corresponding completion dates in column B. Since there are over 1,000 orders, it takes many pages to print the sheet, with a great deal of paper wasted on the blank area to the right of the two columns. Other than the tedious process of cutting and pasting, is there a way to arrange the information into multiple multiple columns across the page? Try this example on David's site Charlie http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Cha...

BCP Export file name
Hi. I am using BCP to export data of a table through a view as bcp db..view out D:\Export.txt -w -T -t"," -r","\n What I want is that file in which data is exported (Export.txt) is named dynamically or its name should be from value of column in a table. Let if I have a column in table with value “TEST”. The file should be named as TEST.txt instead of Export.txt Regards, Muhammad Bilal You'll likely have to do this within a script like a VB script or powershell script. Build the command line in a string and set the file name as a variable. ...

Workflow Rule Auto Email Case When Open or Closed not working
I have created the workflow rules to Email the Customer as well as copy the owner of the Case when the case is opened or closed. They have been activated and the Open workflow rule was working but now it is not. I keep readiong about importing the work flow rules, How do I do that or what further step do I have to take once the rules are created and activated? ...

Columns in Excel
I have the following problem I need help with: Column 1 Column2 Column3 Column4 017290 117110 246781 017450 117118 246790 017451 117119 317891 116127 246761 317990 116128 246771 341772 116129 246780 358381 Say I want to insert a new number into "Column 2." The number 119000. How can I do this and make all the information move automatically to look like the following: Column 1 Column2 Column3 Column4 017290 117110 246780 358381 017450 ...

RE: Keeping imported columns
I am importing financial info from a database into Excel a sheet with multiple columns. Instead of automatically detecting the multiple columns Excel is putting all the informatin into one column. Excel automatically dected the columns on one the first file I opened but when I tried to open the second file I don't know what the program automatically did to replicate and now it won't format it so that I can work with the info. Does anyone know how to keep the spreadsheet format when opening a in Excel? How do you import it to excel, via a query or do you just open i...

Rename the default outlook folder name or change to other folder
Hi Anyone know how I can change which calendar folder outlook thinks o as the default? Either by renaming the current default or makin another of my contacts folders the default I hunted throughout the registry but cannot find where outloo defines who/what its default folders are. The reason for this is that I have a problem whereby my outlook 200 default Contacts folder was renamed to Spryte (don't ask) in th distant past. Until now that has not been a problem but our ne customer management software interacts with outlook through a interface that first determines what the default fold...

Column resizing error
I am using Excel with Financial Reporter (links to Accpac accounting software to obtain data). I have some columns that are far too wide, but when I try to resize them the tiniest bit, I get the message "Cannot shift objects off sheet". How do I find out what objects are causing the problem? I don't have anything in the sheet other than data & instructions. Thanks! -- Catherine Carr Catherine Have a read here at this MS KB Article. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;211769 Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:03:01 -0700, "Catherine Ca...

Photo Story 3 lower sound on narrated slides
I have Photo Story 3. I have music that covers ten slides. For the 4th slide, I want to lower the music volume and enter a narration. I click on the 4th slide, then use the slide to lower the volume. HOWEVER, when I Review this change, the volume changes on all ten of the slides. How do i lower music volume on only selectedd slides, while maintaining a higher volume on the other slides? Thank you. Steve Shouldn't you go to that companies website and ask them? This is a dicussion for Windows XP not Photo Story 3 or even the movie Toy Story. "Steve" <...

I have a name and then number and want to fill space in with dots
-- marianne dagher If you're putting this info into a single cell, then stop! Put each value in separate cells--in fact, I'd consider putting first name in a cell, last name in a different cell, middle initial(???), salutation(???), and number in different cells. mariane wrote: > > -- > marianne dagher -- Dave Peterson Thanks Dave I stayed in excel and did that drew and copied a line of dots and pasted them into the cells. it printed quite well. My challenwas to connect text by dots -- marianne dagher "Dave Peterson" wrote: > If you're putting ...

FROM display name
In Exchange 5.5, what is it using for the displayed FROM name on Internet Mail. For example, I want "John Smith" to show as "John Smith- Sales" I tried changing the display name in exchange admin, but that didn't change it. Can you change that without making a new mail box? On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 11:39:40 -0600, "John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote: >In Exchange 5.5, what is it using for the displayed FROM name on Internet >Mail. For example, I want "John Smith" to show as "John Smith- Sales" I >tried changing the ...

VBA code needed to AUTOMATE SELECTION of names within VALIDATION dropdown then print
I have searched the blogs and cannot seem to locate anything related to my challenge. I know you guys are gurus when It comes to things like this. I have a worksheet that tracks employee productivity for each cost center with a region. My excel worksheet contains three validation dropdowns that use the "indirect" function with various named ranges that link these dropdowns . So for instance lets say that the first dropdown relates to a region, the second relates to a cost center (there can be many cost centers in a region), and the third is a worker in that cost center (there can...