How do I create an Excel database?

I am a new user, and am required to create an Excel database. Any hints would
be helpful. The online documents are not clear. Also, where is the "Field
button" ?I am using 2003 Standard Edition.
0
Holmberg (4)

Where are you getting "field button"? The best way is to simply put column
headings in row 1, and your first record in row 2. Other than that, we'll
need more information.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Kenn Holmberg" <Kenn Holmberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am a new user, and am required to create an Excel database. Any hints
would
> be helpful. The online documents are not clear. Also, where is the "Field
> button" ?I am using 2003 Standard Edition.

0
ng1 (1444)
7/5/2005 7:31:09 PM
In the Excel Help menu, the Field button is indicated for the PivotTable. I
have several column headings, such as Name, Address, Phone, etc. I have
several entries under each heading, and I then need to extract certain
information into reports, such as names of those in certain cities, and those
with birthdays after a certain date.

I started by creating a spreadsheet with all the information, but perhaps I
should have made the column labels into fields first. But I don't know how to
do any of this.

"Anne Troy" wrote:

> Where are you getting "field button"? The best way is to simply put column
> headings in row 1, and your first record in row 2. Other than that, we'll
> need more information.
> *******************
> ~Anne Troy
>
> www.OfficeArticles.com
> www.MyExpertsOnline.com
>

> "Kenn Holmberg" <Kenn Holmberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am a new user, and am required to create an Excel database. Any hints
> would
> > be helpful. The online documents are not clear. Also, where is the "Field
> > button" ?I am using 2003 Standard Edition.

To help you get started, you could read some of the Pivot Table
material, listed on Jon Peltier's web site:

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
7/5/2005 8:50:54 PM
It can be argued that the proper place for a database is database management
software like Access but I use Excel extensively for this purpose and, at
least for me, it works well.

If you think of the old record cards,  all the information on the card is a
record.  Each piece of information on the card is a field.

On a spreadsheet each row is a record and each column holds a piece of
information so is a field.

It is important to design a spreadsheet not just type everything in.  By
design I mean stop, have a cup of tea and think about what is wanted.  This
cane be defined as input (data to be put in) and output (what you want to do
with the date - including pivot tables charts etc.)  What you are doing is
the middle bit and now you can appreciate that if you don't get all three
elements designed properly you'll be foerever tampering with it to get it
right.

On the input side I would recommend that you split data as much as possible.
For a person's name you will need a field each for "Miss/Mr/Mrs/Ms", First
name, Initial, Family name.  For the address you will need a field for
"Building", "DP1" (Distribution point1 - House number), "DP2" (Distribution
point2 - Road), "Dependent locality" (locale), "PostTown", "Postcode".  It
is easy to bundle information together but this approach ensures that you
don't have to unbundle it when trying to analyse date.  The rest of the
field are up to you but bear in mind my comment on splitting data.

On the output side I can't comment as I don't know the purpose to which data
is being put.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Kenn Holmberg" <Kenn Holmberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a new user, and am required to create an Excel database. Any hints
>would
> be helpful. The online documents are not clear. Also, where is the "Field
> button" ?I am using 2003 Standard Edition.

0
Bill
7/5/2005 10:21:56 PM
You keep on using the term "field."  Where do you come across it in XL?
Also, a PivotTable is for output analysis of data, not for data entry
or storage.

For a *very* brief intro into what the tables should look like see
Building and using a relational database in Excel
Introduction to a relational database
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/rdbms_in_excel/intro.html

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <80F52105-8322-4832-8EEA-5036B680116B@microsoft.com>,
KennHolmberg@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> In the Excel Help menu, the Field button is indicated for the PivotTable. I
> have several column headings, such as Name, Address, Phone, etc. I have
> several entries under each heading, and I then need to extract certain
> information into reports, such as names of those in certain cities, and those
> with birthdays after a certain date.
>
> I started by creating a spreadsheet with all the information, but perhaps I
> should have made the column labels into fields first. But I don't know how to
> do any of this.
>
> "Anne Troy" wrote:
>
> > Where are you getting "field button"? The best way is to simply put column
> > headings in row 1, and your first record in row 2. Other than that, we'll
> > need more information.
> > *******************
> > ~Anne Troy
> >
> > www.OfficeArticles.com
> > www.MyExpertsOnline.com
> >

> > "Kenn Holmberg" <Kenn Holmberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I am a new user, and am required to create an Excel database. Any hints
> > would
> > > be helpful. The online documents are not clear. Also, where is the "Field
> > > button" ?I am using 2003 Standard Edition.

Nice response Bill.........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
> It can be argued that the proper place for a database is database
management
> software like Access but I use Excel extensively for this purpose and, at
> least for me, it works well.
>
> If you think of the old record cards,  all the information on the card is
> record.  Each piece of information on the card is a field.
>
> On a spreadsheet each row is a record and each column holds a piece of
> information so is a field.
>
> It is important to design a spreadsheet not just type everything in.  By
> design I mean stop, have a cup of tea and think about what is wanted.
This
> cane be defined as input (data to be put in) and output (what you want to
do
> with the date - including pivot tables charts etc.)  What you are doing is
> the middle bit and now you can appreciate that if you don't get all three
> elements designed properly you'll be foerever tampering with it to get it
> right.
>
> On the input side I would recommend that you split data as much as
possible.
> For a person's name you will need a field each for "Miss/Mr/Mrs/Ms", First
> name, Initial, Family name.  For the address you will need a field for
> "Building", "DP1" (Distribution point1 - House number), "DP2"
(Distribution
> point2 - Road), "Dependent locality" (locale), "PostTown", "Postcode".  It
> is easy to bundle information together but this approach ensures that you
> don't have to unbundle it when trying to analyse date.  The rest of the
> field are up to you but bear in mind my comment on splitting data.
>
> On the output side I can't comment as I don't know the purpose to which
data
> is being put.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Regards.
>
> Bill Ridgeway
> Computer Solutions
>
> "Kenn Holmberg" <Kenn Holmberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am a new user, and am required to create an Excel database. Any hints
> >would
> > be helpful. The online documents are not clear. Also, where is the
"Field
> > button" ?I am using 2003 Standard Edition.

0
croberts (1377)
7/5/2005 11:33:46 PM
I thought so, too, but didn't want to diminish anyone else's, including my
own (by comparison) lame-o!
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Nice response Bill.........
>
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3
>

> "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
> > It can be argued that the proper place for a database is database
> management
> > software like Access but I use Excel extensively for this purpose and,
at
> > least for me, it works well.
> >
> > If you think of the old record cards,  all the information on the card
is
> > record.  Each piece of information on the card is a field.
> >
> > On a spreadsheet each row is a record and each column holds a piece of
> > information so is a field.
> >
> > It is important to design a spreadsheet not just type everything in.  By
> > design I mean stop, have a cup of tea and think about what is wanted.
> This
> > cane be defined as input (data to be put in) and output (what you want
> do
> > with the date - including pivot tables charts etc.)  What you are doing
is
> > the middle bit and now you can appreciate that if you don't get all
three
> > elements designed properly you'll be foerever tampering with it to get
it
> > right.
> >
> > On the input side I would recommend that you split data as much as
> possible.
> > For a person's name you will need a field each for "Miss/Mr/Mrs/Ms",
First
> > name, Initial, Family name.  For the address you will need a field for
> > "Building", "DP1" (Distribution point1 - House number), "DP2"
> (Distribution
> > point2 - Road), "Dependent locality" (locale), "PostTown", "Postcode".
It
> > is easy to bundle information together but this approach ensures that
you
> > don't have to unbundle it when trying to analyse date.  The rest of the
> > field are up to you but bear in mind my comment on splitting data.
> >
> > On the output side I can't comment as I don't know the purpose to which
> data
> > is being put.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> > Regards.
> >
> > Bill Ridgeway
> > Computer Solutions
> >
> > "Kenn Holmberg" <Kenn Holmberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > >I am a new user, and am required to create an Excel database. Any hints
> > >would
> > > be helpful. The online documents are not clear. Also, where is the
> "Field
> > > button" ?I am using 2003 Standard Edition.

0
ng1 (1444)
7/5/2005 11:38:50 PM
Sorry Anne, and others........I meant no dis-credit to any other response.
It's just when I read Bill's I felt good about the explanation and the way
he presented it and felt moved to offer my appreciation.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Anne Troy" <ng@officearticles.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > right.
> > >
> > > On the input side I would recommend that you split data as much as
> > possible.
> > > For a person's name you will need a field each for "Miss/Mr/Mrs/Ms",
> First
> > > name, Initial, Family name.  For the address you will need a field for
> > > "Building", "DP1" (Distribution point1 - House number), "DP2"
> > (Distribution
> > > point2 - Road), "Dependent locality" (locale), "PostTown", "Postcode".
> It
> > > is easy to bundle information together but this approach ensures that
> you
> > > don't have to unbundle it when trying to analyse date.  The rest of
the
> > > field are up to you but bear in mind my comment on splitting data.
> > >
> > > On the output side I can't comment as I don't know the purpose to

7/5/2005 11:50:35 PM
My poor attempt at humor. Yes, I thought Bill's explanation was way GREAT!
*******************

> Sorry Anne, and others........I meant no dis-credit to any other response.
> It's just when I read Bill's I felt good about the explanation and the way
> he presented it and felt moved to offer my appreciation.
>
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3
>

> "Anne Troy" <ng@officearticles.com> wrote in message
> > I thought so, too, but didn't want to diminish anyone else's, including
my
> > own (by comparison) lame-o!
> > *******************
> > ~Anne Troy
> >
> > www.OfficeArticles.com
> > www.MyExpertsOnline.com
> >

> > "CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > Nice response Bill.........
> > >
> > > Vaya con Dios,
> > > Chuck, CABGx3
> > >

> > > "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > management
> > at

> > is

> By
> > > This
> > > do
> doing
> > is
> > three
> > it

> > > possible.
> > First
> > > (Distribution
> > It
> > you
> the

> which
> > > data

> > message
> hints
> > > "Field

0
ng1 (1444)
7/5/2005 11:59:19 PM
Oh, you don't have to be so sensitive.

If people get bent out of shape because you paid someone else a
compliment, f**k 'em!  {grin}

--

In article <u4r7BxbgFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
croberts@tampabay.rr.com says...
> Sorry Anne, and others........I meant no dis-credit to any other response.
> It's just when I read Bill's I felt good about the explanation and the way
> he presented it and felt moved to offer my appreciation.
>
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3
>

> "Anne Troy" <ng@officearticles.com> wrote in message
> > I thought so, too, but didn't want to diminish anyone else's, including my
> > own (by comparison) lame-o!
> > *******************
> > ~Anne Troy
> >
> > www.OfficeArticles.com
> > www.MyExpertsOnline.com
> >

> > "CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > Nice response Bill.........
> > >
> > > Vaya con Dios,
> > > Chuck, CABGx3
> > >

> > > "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > management
> > at

> > is

> By
> > > This
> > > do
> doing
> > is
> > three
> > it

> > > possible.
> > First
> > > (Distribution
> > It
> > you
> the

> which
> > > data

> > message
> hints
> > > "Field

Thanks for your feedback.  This has prompted me to put together an info
sheet.

Apologies for the delay.  I hope you don't all think I've been rude in not
responding until now.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

> My poor attempt at humor. Yes, I thought Bill's explanation was way GREAT!
> *******************
> ~Anne Troy
>
> www.OfficeArticles.com
> www.MyExpertsOnline.com
>

> "CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry Anne, and others........I meant no dis-credit to any other
>> response.
>> It's just when I read Bill's I felt good about the explanation and the
>> way
>> he presented it and felt moved to offer my appreciation.
>>
>> Vaya con Dios,
>> Chuck, CABGx3
>>

>> "Anne Troy" <ng@officearticles.com> wrote in message
>> > I thought so, too, but didn't want to diminish anyone else's, including
> my
>> > own (by comparison) lame-o!
>> > *******************
>> > ~Anne Troy
>> >
>> > www.OfficeArticles.com
>> > www.MyExpertsOnline.com
>> >

>> > "CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> and,
>> > at

> card
>> > is

> of

>> By
> wanted.
> want
>> doing
>> > is
>> > three
> get
>> > it

>> > First
> for
> "Postcode".
>> > It
> that
>> > you
>> the

>> which

>> > message
>> hints

0
Bill
7/20/2005 3:58:50 PM
Kenn,

To augment Bill's thoughts a bit.  Once you have the columns situate
the way you like, you can create a UserForm for easy and accurate inpu
into your "database".

There is a great tutorial 'HERE
(http://www.fontstuff.com/downloads/index.htm#excelvba) by Marti
Green.  Download the PDF and use it to create the form that he outline
and you should be more than ready to go to create a real input for
rather than entering data horizontally (which I have found is ver
cumbersome and prone to errors).

HTH,

PZa

--
PokerZa
PokerZan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2348

Access 97 can't resize database window

How do I create a sample in Excel?

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

Date display in Excel

Excel and some disappeared sheets

Backing Up Exchange Database

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Creating Exchange 2003 organization

Excel error 1706

Backing up databases on remote SQL
Hi, I recently followed one of the MS articles on how to move GP 9 sql database to a different server. Everything went well except when trying to run the backup option from the GP9 server. I currently have a server with GP9 installed and another server with SQL and the GP databases. When I try to run the backup from the backup option on the GP server it says " You must be on the server machine to perform this task". presume this is because the SQL is no longer on that server. The SQL server has a backup routine of its own, but I would like our finance users to have the ability...

Can't create the item #2