How do I convert .txt files into .xls in order to be able to sum.

I receive via e-mail a statement  that I need to resort by date , purchase
order and total by department, etc.  The process I have been using is to copy
and paste into Excel.  However, when I try to sum the $ is will not sum.

Is there some other way of converting this statement that I receive via
e-mail into Excel, so that I can resort and sum?

I am using Excel 2002 and my e-mail browser is Mozilla.

You might be able to use File-->Open, and then let the Text Import Wizard
help. Otherwise, you could use the "data isn't recognized" fix here:
http://www.officearticles.com/excel/data_cleanup_tips_for_microsoft_excel.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"rozzamareea" <rozzamareea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I receive via e-mail a statement  that I need to resort by date , purchase
> order and total by department, etc.  The process I have been using is to
> copy
> and paste into Excel.  However, when I try to sum the $ is will not sum.
>
> Is there some other way of converting this statement that I receive via
> e-mail into Excel, so that I can resort and sum?
>
> I am using Excel 2002 and my e-mail browser is Mozilla.

0
ng1 (1444)
8/24/2005 9:21:03 PM
rozzamareea wrote:
> I receive via e-mail a statement  that I need to resort by date , purchase
> order and total by department, etc.  The process I have been using is to copy
> and paste into Excel.  However, when I try to sum the $ is will not sum.
>
> Is there some other way of converting this statement that I receive via
> e-mail into Excel, so that I can resort and sum?
>
> I am using Excel 2002 and my e-mail browser is Mozilla.

Just a guess but the field is probably formatted as text even
though it shows a $ sign high lite the $col right click and
format as currency.

gls858
0
gls858 (460)

Converting XLS file to QIF or to OFX
How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? "dreamchaser" wrote: > How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? In Excel, save the file to CSV and ustilise iCreateOFX Basic from: http://icreateofx.co.uk/Convert-CSV-to-OFX to convert the saved CSV file to OFX. ...

I am converting lotus123 files to excel2002. One problem is that in lotus, literals are ignored when found in a cell within a formula. Excel on the other hand is not doing this and therefore causing #value errors on all the formulas where this occurs. Is there a way to handle this in excel other than manually having to change all the formulas? ...

Convert Column to row with variable data
Hi I'm using Excel 2k and I have a spreadsheet that looks like this Name Address Fred 21 Blah St London Sue Tower 50 London EC2 and need it to look like this Name Address 1 Address2 Address3 Fred 21 Blah St London Sue Tower 50 London EC2 I have a macro that can convert from column to row but only for a set number of columns. Is there any way to account for the variable amount of data for each address ? Any help much appreciated Thanks David David: I suggest the following formulae - copied down as necessary: C2: =IF(...

Workflow rule on (Order)Products and columns of related entities in advanced find view
Hi, Does anyone know whether it's possible to create workflow rules on (Order)Products, since the entity Products isn't part of the standard workflow entity? In my example I have added a new (expiry) date attribute on the OrderProduct form. Now I would like to add a workflow rule on that datefield to create a task when the expiry date is nearly reached; but the problem I have is that i can't "reach" the fields on the OrderProduct form to put a workflow rule on? Another problem I have is that I've created an advanced find query in which I query customers who have or...

sum of a column according to two or more variables
I have a master log with a column called hours lost, a column calle vendor, one called problem type and the rows are labeled and sorted b date. I would like to sum the hours lost column for each month according t the month and vendor, and have the sum end up in one cell I would also like to sum the hours lost column for each month accordin to the month and problem type and have the sum end up in one cell basically I only want the hours lost data for a specific vendor an month at one time or a specific problem type and month at one time, bu I don't know how to set up the formula correctl...

Tab order for purchase orders and sales orders
Is there a way to set the tab order while entering items in a purchase order and sales order. My client would like to be able to have the order taker be able to be prompted for a quantity while entering in line items to purchase orders and sales orders. Marc, For POS, enter the quantity first, then the * key, then the ILC So for 5 of 11212, enter 5*11212 <enter> For PO's see if QuickScan works better for you. -- * "Marc Arbesman" <MarcArbesman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05BD48AA-08BB-4CFE-A04D-46BBCC5B95CC@microsoft.com... Is there a w...

How do I get excel files to open automatically from directories?
When I try to open excel files from the directory or from desktop I only get a blank worksheet not the file. I have to then go through File Open to get the file I want. There must be a way to have them open automatically. On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:22:01 -0800, Damian <Damian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I try to open excel files from the directory or from desktop I only get >a blank worksheet not the file. I have to then go through File Open to get >the file I want. > >There must be a way to have them open automatically. Go to Tools -> Options -> Gen...

Not able to open imported accounts 4.0
We have a situation where we've updated a client from 3.0 to CRM 4.0 and have an import that brings in new Accounts. Unfortunately, we can open accounts that don't have a parent account but can't open the parent account itself. In essence, we have two accounts with another one the parent - we can open ones that show the parent, but again, we get an error - see yor administrator. Is there a rights issue or relational setup we're missing. ...

How to convert privatekey(string) to XML
Hi all, I need to convert privatekey toXML format. I read privatekey from file. Here is how: -------------------------------- Dim myStream As System.IO.StringWriter = New System.IO.StringWriter Dim testfile As String = "c:\RSAprivate.txt" Dim objStreamReader As System.IO.StreamReader objStreamReader = System.IO.File.OpenText(testfile) Dim readfile As String = objStreamReader.ReadToEnd() TextBox1.Text = readfile objStreamReader.Close() -------------------------------- and the privatekey looks like this: -----BEGIN RSA PRIV...

Odd problem with worksheets when opening file
Okay, here's the odd problem that's come up. When you double click on a excel file, excel opens up, but you can onl see the toolbars. The grid area looks like a snapshot of whatever you current background is before the file opened up. If you were showin your desktop, after the excel file opened, you'd still see your deskto in the datagrid area. If you start up a new excel file, then do the File>Open>file name, th file will open correctly. This problem happens across users here. Everyone is currently runnin office 2K. Any ideas on what causes the problem and any...

Outlook 2002 multiple file opening
In Outlook 2000, CTRL A would select all attached picture files, then Open would, in my case, open the files in Paintshop Pro. With the 2002 version I cannot find a way to do this. Any suggestions? ...

"File: send to mail recipient" not working
When users (on WinXP) select file, "send to mail recipient", no response from Outlook 2002. This occurs either when Outlook is open or closed. Problem happens when rt. clicking on .doc, .xls, .pdf's....all files. Any ideas?? Thanks!! ...

odd files created
Every time I open and edit an excel spreadsheet on a network share, small odd files get created. They are usually no larger than 25-40k and don't have any extensions to them. Looking at the properties page for any file, the file description says File. Anyone know what this is from or how to get rid of them? Permissions are setup correctly for me, Word files don't have this behavior. Excel 2000 SP3 Thanks, Hi Brian, A file the same size as the workbook would be created in the same directory as the workbook. The filename would be nonsensical (or appear to be random) character...

Excel Template Wizard, Very Large File Size
Background: Excel 2000. I created a spreadsheet and used the template wizard that links to an Access 2000 database. The template was later used to create one record and saved as a spreadsheet. The database also contains this one record. Spreadsheet and database work fine. Later I reduced the Access field size properties (none are larger than 150, most are less than 50). There are 35 fields. Unexpected result: The Excel spreadsheet (template) and the linked Access database are huge. The spreadsheet is 35MB and the associated Access 2000 database is 24MB. Each contains one record (a si...

Scanning Problem no one seems to be able to fix
I have been having this problem trying to scan and acquire these files i have. i get all the way to the public box where the documents are, but at the end of an acquire it says "Error in retrieving thumbnail BMP. internal error occurred. connection lost. please refresh." I've had a couple IT guys in here messing with it and still nothing seems to work. I'm just not sure where to look or begin. any help or ideas would be appreciated greatly. thanks -- Travar1410 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Travar1410's Profile:...

Date & Time file was last saved
Is there away to display in a cell the date & time the file was last saved? I know you can do this in word but is it possible in Excel 2002? Here is an UDF Function DocProps(prop As String) application.volatile On Error GoTo err_value DocProps = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties(prop) Exit Function err_value: DocProps = CVErr(xlErrValue) End Function Now you can use the following formula in one of your cells: =DocProps("Last save time") Obviously, the file has to have been saved. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to ...

Failure to Transfer Order to Invoice
I have an order that I am trying to transfer to an invoice. On the order is a single kit item. It will not transfer to an invoice because GP is complaining about a back-order for some reason. Back orders are not used and none exist in the system at the moment. The quantity to invoice/quantity fulfilled for the kit are 0 and do not match the kit quantity. When I open the SOP Kit Options screen the component items are the same - qty fulfill/invoice are 0 when the quantity ordered for each is 1. I can not set them to 1 manually. They are either greyed out (qty to invoice) or i can not change th...

OL2000
When opening an attachment in OL2000, the program creates a file in a temporary directory on my hard drive under C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK6A2\. This directory is filling up and I would like to clear it. Unfortunately in XP SP2, this directly is not visible in when exploring files in my computer. I believe that I have all "show hidden files and folders" settings checked. Also, the file explorer shows (sometimes) that there is a sub directory under "temporary internet files," but it does not show up when I look further....

Corrupt Access 2003 File
I was working on this file earlier today, I even just opened it and it was fine and all of a sudden there is a write delay to the save the file, I closed it and I try opening it again and it is corrupted. I don't get it. The message I am getting is below. What does that mean. I just finished making a lost of update to the file. The last time I backed it up was Tuesday, and I have done a lot of work to it between then and now. I don't have the time to go back and redo all that work again. Any help will be appreciated. "Microsoft Office Access has detected corruption in this ...

Visio Professional 7
i have several visio files (20-40) pages in each and i need to merge them into a single large visio file... is there a way to do this... inserting a page at a time and copying the drawing is not practical On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:38:01 -0700, sunman <sunman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i have several visio files (20-40) pages in each and i need to merge them >into a single large visio file... is there a way to do this... inserting a >page at a time and copying the drawing is not practical I've just added this feature to the utilities at http://www.visio-utilities....

Missing File Names
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC When clicking on an Excel file I get the following message: ':Mac Excel Expander:Mac Excel Expander' could not be found. I also get this message when trying to launch a Word file. I have recently removed Office 2008 and reinstalled 2004. Thanks ...

SOME .docx files open in compatibility mode
Can anyone point me to where I can determine what elements may be causing some DOCX files to open in compatibility mode in word 2007 and word 2010 Beta? What seems strange is that if I open the document, make a change to it and resave it, when re-opened, it will STILL be in compatibility mode. However, if I open the document, do NOT change anything, and then re-save it under a new name and re-open it, then it does NOT open in compatibility mode. All functions and features I use seem to work fine either way including embedded XL spreadsheets. OS: win7Pro32 1.5 GB RAM All fil...

Summing Data Elements From Multiple Records
Hi, I'm looking for the best way to display a calculated value on a form that will be the summation of multiple records. How do I specifiy to select all the records -- that match a specific criteria -- and to render a single value consisting of the sum of those values subtracted from a static number? In Oracle, I would loop through each record and save the value (via a "cursor") into a variable and then when no more records were found, the loop would terminate and the value in the variable would be the value of all the summed values. Is there a way to do this in VB/MSAccess? ...

Problem downloading OFX files.
I thought this was a bank issue based on the error message I received, but I get it at every bank: "A communication error occurred. Please try your call again. If you continue to have problems call your financial institution's Online Services Customer Support." I did call one of my banks and they confirmed no issues on their side. Can anyone help resolve this? Surely that's what I would have said too. There are so many things that could be going on here. Have you tried momentarily disabling firewall or AV ware? "Bart Simpson" <me@here.now> wrote i...

how to prevent retrieval of deleted files
I deleted some confidential files from D drives (harddisk paritioned into C & D drives) then I go to Recycle Bin to empty all. then I go do Disk Cleanup. Can the deleted files be un-deleted/retrieved? If not, how to fool-proof? Thanks Christine wrote: > I deleted some confidential files from D drives (harddisk paritioned into C > & D drives) > > then I go to Recycle Bin to empty all. > > then I go do Disk Cleanup. > > Can the deleted files be un-deleted/retrieved? > > If not, how to fool-proof? > > Thanks ...