How do I Change the Column Names (Re-Name A -

I want to Change the Column Headings from letters to actual names.  How do I
do that?
0
dallas (7)

hi
this can not be done. excel needs these to find/remember where everthing is
on the spreadsheet grid. you can change the letters to numbers but that is it.
on the 2003 menu bar...
tools>options>general tab. check R1C1 reference style.
or you can get rid of the letters all togeather. on the 2003 menu bar....
tools>options>view tab>uncheck row & column headers.
but they are still there, just not visible.
usually when someone want to wants to get rid of the column header letters,
they uncheck row & column headers then add their own headers and freeze panes.
place the curser on cell A2 then on the 2003 menu bar.....
window>freeze panes.
if you want row numbers back, you can place the curser at cell B2 and freeze
panes. this will freeze column a and you and fill numbers down column A.

regards
FSt1

"Dallas" wrote:

> I want to Change the Column Headings from letters to actual names.  How do I
> do that?
0
FSt1 (238)
6/28/2009 4:50:01 AM
All that FSt1 said, plus...
What most people do is use the top row(s) of the sheet for column
titles/headers and the same for the first column as titles for the rows.  You
can even use File --> Page Setup --> [Sheet] tab and choose what rows to
repeat at the top of every printed sheet, and less often, what columns to
repeat on each sheet.  In 2007 that is on the Page Layout Tab, using the
pull-down arrow at the lower right corner of the Page Setup group.

You can also use Window-->Freeze Panes to keep rows/columns in view while
scrolling around on a worksheet.  For Excel 2007 that's on the View tab,
within the Window group.

"Dallas" wrote:

> I want to Change the Column Headings from letters to actual names.  How do I
> do that?
0
JLatham (219)

Print Footer with Last Print Date field name
How do you create a Footer to print the Last Printed Date and Last Revised Date? Its not as obvious in Excel as it is in Word. Hi this is only possible with VBA inserting this information within an event procedure -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Ted wrote: > How do you create a Footer to print the Last Printed Date and Last > Revised Date? Its not as obvious in Excel as it is in Word. ...

Change the space used for my x-axis labels
Can anybody help me? I have an column chart with words as labels. My problem is that I can't change the space used for the labels, that is some labels is in two or three lines and I would like to use more room for the labels and less room for the chart itself. But when I make the chart smaller then the labels just are dragged upwards - how do I prevent that?? ...

Retrieving Data from a Column / Row to populate a cell
I currently have data supplied to me in an Excel spreadsheet that I to transfer manually I would like this to populate a cell reference, the problem I have is that I cannot gather a train of thought to obtain the data from from a specific row/column. There is a sample of the data supplied to me below Name In Out Int Greg 165 108 29 09 July 2003 42 34 9 14 July 2003 44 19 4 16 July 2003 40 40 8 17 July 2003 39 15 8 Andrew 125 43 9 1...

Row heights Changed by Sorting
I have an excel spreadsheet of 279 rows: a 4-row header and 25 sets of 11 rows each. Row heights within each set have been set individually, though the pattern is common to each set. When the 275 non-header rows are sorted as a group, the row heights of most, but not all, of the final 2 rows of each set are changed. The heights of the first 9 rows of each set are not changed. The final row of each set is empty except for one cell. The cell in the selected sort column is empty. The one non-empty cell contains numeric data in another sort key column. Row 11 formatting consi...

How can I change which cell is selected next, other than Down, Le.
I know there should be a simple answer to this question, but I can't find it on the "Help" menu. Hi Bethany tools / options / edit "move selection after enter" -- Cheers JulieD check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm ....well i'm working on it anyway "Bethany" <Bethany@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:50CD805D-F385-4457-9363-5C3A3EF7825D@microsoft.com... >I know there should be a simple answer to this question, but I can't find >it > on the "Help" menu. tools->options->edit and select one of...

The data in my form is changing after the status is closed
I have a form which is based on a query for invoicing. I have some client who have been invoiced for their service and not their status is closed. If this person returns as a client and I set the new contract year and I go to the invoicing form to invoice for their new serivce the prior year contract year information for the service which has already been closed is no longer there. I want to keep this data as read only, but still be able to add new information. ...

tracking changes with insert comment
Hi Again all, second time poster here. I was wondering if anyone knows of away to programatically Insert Comment for a certain range of cells into that cell when the value changes so that the comment Will read: "Old Value was:###" Thanks again!! PS All the cells have conditional formatting (don't know if that makes a difference) Consider a non VBA method using the Tools-->Track Changes feature. It shares the workbook, but if it's on your network drive or local hard drive no one should be able to open it. You can also restrict who views it if others will have access to i...

Independently Formatting Columns and Rows
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Is there a way to independently format the width of a column on specific cells? In other words, if I wanted to change the width of the cells in the middle of the document, can I do so without affecting the width of the cells above it and below it? On 2010-05-28 12:40:38 -0400, monks617@officeformac.com said: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel Is there a way to independently format the width of a column on > specific cells? In other words, if I want...

Copy Cell or Column without advancing formula reference?
I have a spreadsheet with formulas referring to another worksheet. I need to copy the columns however, each time I do, the formulas advance to another cell. Which is an incorrect reference, skewing my results. You need to modify the formulas to use absolute references. Edit each of the cell addresses in the formula and put $ (dollar signs) in front of the column letters. "sgluntz" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with formulas referring to another worksheet. I need to > copy the columns however, each time I do, the formulas advance to another > cell. Which is an...

Formula for changing Text Color??
I don't know if this is even possible. What I would like to do is t input a number into a column in sheet 1 and have a correspondin number (which is already there) change font color in sheet two. So input a number, say 3 in C10 on sheet 1 and the number 3 which is i sheet 2 (c10) changes from black to red. Is this possible? thanks very much -- dan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- danh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1594 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27420 You ...

RE: Mailbox Access
I have created a generic user account and mailbox. I have added users to this mailbox. These users are able to open up the mailbox in outlook. I have disabled the primary user account of the mailbox. Now the users are not able to access the mailbox. Does the primary user account have to enabled for users to be able to access the mailbox? Yep thats correct. Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.ExchangeIS.com "wbmcse" <wbmcse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:349A8A84-3049-4212-9B92-B02542749D8E@microsoft.co...

Naming a chart object
When charts are created they are named "chart 1", "chart 2", and so on I need to name a chart in order to update it from vba, but when select the chart I cannot click in the name box? Help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi martinu, To rename a chart, hold the shift key down and select the chart. This selects the chart object instead of the chart area. You can then rename as usual. -- Ed Ferrero http://edferrero.m6.net Thanks Ed, so simple when you know how. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

CButton: Change size based upon text extent
I'd like to dynamically change the size of my CButton derived control based upon the text/bitmap size. So if the application calls SetWindowText during program flow the button rect will update. What's the best way to capture this and override the rect size? Thanks Eric You can use SetWindowPos to change its size. You can handle WM_SETTEXT and see what text is being set to, calculate the size of the button, change its size and then call the base class handler. --- Ajay "Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1145984489.865667.169280@e56...

Chart disappears in Excel 2000 after scale is changed
When the scale of the chart is changed, the chart disappears. The chart and its data are on the same worksheet. ...

slow outlook after changed adress of exchange server
after we have migrated accounts from one to another mailserver the outlook2000 clients (after changing te settings) are very slow and sometimes they even hang. I supose there are some cached settings....but can's find them. Who can helpme out. P.S. deleting the profile and making a new one works, but there must be another way.... ...

Changing name on windows e-mail
My windows e-mail hasn't been working.Still want to keep the same one I HAVE ON FACEBOOK. Please explain in more detail. "southernlady@att.net" <southernlady@att.net@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E674E4C3-6ED5-490E-82F1-22F43FA17256@microsoft.com... > My windows e-mail hasn't been working.Still want to keep the same one I > HAVE > ON FACEBOOK. Windows Mail does not have anything to do with your email address. Your email provider dictates what that address would be. Email providers actually provide you with an email...

Find name of main form
Novice, Access 2003, XP I want to pass a control name to another application. The control is on a subform, but I don't know the name of the main form because the subform is in various mainforms. E.g. fsubTxt contains txtBox1. How do I find the name of frmMain and then pass the frmMain!fsubTxt.Form!txtBox1 Thank you You can get the main form's name by using Screen.ActiveForm.Name Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia "Peter Stone" <PeterStone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20BA9DE7-0107-46CB-96F8-591...

Automatic Cell Re-sizing
I have created a spreadsheet that is to be completed by several people. Some of the cells in the spreadsheet are protected appart rom the ones to be completed by the users. On those cells 'Wrap Text' is enabled, is it possible to make those cells re-size automatically when they type to much text to fit in the viewable area ? Any help would be much appreciated.... Thanks Tappie If you're saying that you have unlocked cells with Wrap Text set then, as long as they are not merged cells and you haven't manually adjusted the cell's row height, their row heights sh...

visio 2007 columns and relations disappeared
I reverse engineered a database and at some point the wile I was organizing the tables a few of the foreign got left behind. I spent long time organizing the tables and found this very frustrating. I could not find a way "reattach" the tables to each other. I removed the orphaned lines from the page thinking that when I updated the diagram from the database they would reappear. They did not. In fact columns had also been removed from tables. How do I get the tables to reflect the data in the database again? Refreshing the model does not work! ...

how to change between Excel 2003 and 2010 as default
How to change between Excel 2003 and 2010 as default on your pc (note excel 2003 must be installed in a special directory so that it does not overwrite excel 2010 files): excel2003.bat rem Enter this first to disassociate an excel version... "c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office2003\Office11\Excel.exe" /unregserver "c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office\Office14\Excel.exe" /unregserver rem Then enter this to specify the default version... "c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office2003\Office11\Excel.exe" /regserver excel2010.bat rem Enter this firs...

Create set based on column items feature in Pivot Tables 2010
I have a pivot table created in 2010 that I would like to use the 'create sets' feature in. However it is not enabled. The three 'sets' features are disabled as are the OLAP tools / What if analysis options on the Pivot Table options ribbon. What am i missing??? Cheers Julie Okay, found the problem - for 2010 the sets are only allowable for OLAP based Pivot Tables. :( On Nov 23, 10:16=A0am, jigsaw <jul...@consultant.com> wrote: > I have a pivot table created in 2010 that I would like to use the > 'create sets' feature in. =A0However it is not enabled....

Importing Text file....need to manipulate text and spread across multiple columns.
I receive a number of different data files in varying formats. In orde to effectively review the information, however, I need to format it an sort it in a way that makes the data useful. Here is an example o what I have (this infromation has been scrubbed) : <Seam> First Name Neelakan Ready <Seam> Last Name Chin <Seam> Address 31 Bloomfield Lane,Apt #215 <Seam> City Auburn <Seam> State Michigan <Seam> Post Code 48336 <Seam> Country USA Here is what I want: USERID First Name Last Name Address City <Seam>...

When using a WebBrowser as an editor how do I get the current font name?
Hi everyone, I'm using a WebBrowser that has had "contenteditable" applied to the body so I can use it as an editor. Does anyone know how I can get the font name of the current font so that I can preset my font combo box? Thanks On Dec 18, 5:04=A0pm, Joe Mitchel <joe.mitc...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I'm using a WebBrowser that has had "contenteditable" applied to the > body so I can use it as an editor. =A0Does anyone know how I can get the > font name of the current font so that I can preset my font combo box? > ...

Linking tab names
Is there a way to name a tab by linking it to a cell on the worksheet? I have numerous worksheets whose tab name corresponds to the title i cell A2 - I would love it if I could do a formula which would make th tab names automatically be whatever is in A2. Any ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com right click sheet tab>view code>insert this. Now, when a2 changes so will the tab name. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Address <> "$A$2" Then Exit Sub ActiveSheet.Name = Target End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donal...

Why are my excel worksheet columns are Numbered not Alpha
My excel worksheet columns are numbered not alpha. What did I do? How can I change back to numbers Hi Paula, Try: Tools | Options | General Tab | deselect 'R1C1 reference style | ok --- Regards, Norman "Paula" <Paula@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD09BE8B-EDCB-4E91-8EBC-A98049B97A35@microsoft.com... > My excel worksheet columns are numbered not alpha. What did I do? How can > I > change back to numbers You've probably set the R1C1 referencing style. Go to Tools>Options> then selecet the General Tab and uncheck the R1C1...