How do I assign a set of values to a selection from a drop list?

Hi.  I am trying to assign a set of values, in separate fields ,to a each
selection from a drop-down list in Excel (using data validation).  What I am
trying to do is very smilar to, say, to selecting a SKU from a list and
having the product description, unit price etc. fill into their corresponding
fields automatically.  For example, I pick SKU "11111" from a drop-down list
to fill the SKU field, then, automatically, "5-inch widget" comes up in the
product description field and "$5.00" shows up in the unit price field.
Please help.
0
Bach1 (2)

Mike

Along with the drop-down list you need a VLOOKUP table to return the values such
as description and price.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for more on VLOOKUP and a downloadable sample file.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:01:28 -0800, Mike Bach <Mike
Bach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi.  I am trying to assign a set of values, in separate fields ,to a each
>selection from a drop-down list in Excel (using data validation).  What I am
>trying to do is very smilar to, say, to selecting a SKU from a list and
>having the product description, unit price etc. fill into their corresponding
>fields automatically.  For example, I pick SKU "11111" from a drop-down list
>to fill the SKU field, then, automatically, "5-inch widget" comes up in the
>product description field and "$5.00" shows up in the unit price field.
>Please help.

0
Gord

Money: Err Msg: Path Has Not Been Properly Set Up
please help.... Microsoft Money. The path is not properly set up in the registry or has been moved after running Money's Setup. Please re-install Money. Otherwise, Money may not be able to run properly. re-instal wont help deleting registry entry dasn.t help. windowx xp sp2 Ms Money 97 (v.5.0) .. Are you using an administrator account to run the software? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://registe...

Set a range from a variable location
I am using a loop function that will eventually select and activate a specific cell known as "TheCurrentCell." Once I reach that location I want to use that coordinate as the upper left area of a new range. Supposing that the end cell of my range is D1000, the Range selection would be something like Range(TheCurrentCell:D1000).select, however, I don't know the correct syntax to make this happen. Please help. Thank you. Use something like Range(Selection.Address & ":D1000").Select. "Troubled User" wrote: > I am using a loop function that will...

Dropped connection to POP3 servers
Just installed Office 2003 under XP Home. Outlook is dropping connection to POP3 servers, I check 2 different servers with a S/R. Both fail at the same time, never separately. Sometimes I can exit Outlook gracefully but a reboot is required to get Outlook to work again. Sometimes locks entire system and have to powerdown manually. Pattern not fully determined but it appears to happen when there is other activity to the internet that is going to specific servers using an ID and password. I use Medved Quotetracker with E*Trade quotes (requires ID). If I bring up Quotetracker, Ou...

Sorting Attendee Lists in Outlook 2003
Is there any way to sort attendees by either name or attendee status in Outlook 2003? I don't know how Microsoft could be so oblivious to the need for this feature. You can't even click on the column headers to sort, let alone print out a list of people sorted by accept and decline. Microsoft's online help system recommends Alt + PrntScreen???? How archaic is that? Is there anyone out there that can help me??? Thanks! ...

Importing spam list
Hi, I have a long list of spam email addresses that I want to import into outlook. How do I do this? Do they have to be separated by commas? Thaks, Paul Where is this spam list generated? What version of Outlook? Where do you propose to import them? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Paul Ellis asked: | Hi, | I have a long list of spam email addresses...

selected row count of list box
A2k Is there a way to get the selected row count of a list box dynamically as the user selects rows? Delphi has an event called "OnSelectionChanged" but Access is much more limited. I don't want the user to have to exit the list box or click a button or anything manual in order to see the # of rows he's selected. How can this be done? I know about "lstCusts.ItemsSelected.Count" but not sure what event to use it in to accomplish what I need. Thanks, Keith Never mind. I did this and it handles both mouse and keyboard selections: Private Sub lstCusts_AfterUpdat...

Data Validation List not showing

manufacturing scrap not calculating on pick list and serial #'s no
I have entered my percentage of scrap on a MFG BOM and is seems to be calculating properly in the setup. When I release the components and add them to a pick list the scrap is not calculating. I also choose serial numbers and they do not carry thorugh and print on the pick list. Is there some setting that I have missed? -- Paula ...

Setting up my work outlook account at home
I do not know how to set-up my outlook at home to check and receive email at home. This is really a question for your Mail Administrator. This depends on what ISP is used for work or if you use the Exchange Server. Then there may be a domain access issue. -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Liz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:049a01c39db2$d8df2cb0$a501280a@phx.gbl... I do not know how to set-up my outlook at home to check and receive email at home. ...

Set default address book automatically (registry)
I know I have done this before a few years back in another site - but I cant remember how. We need to set the default lookup address book for all our 2000+ OL2k3 users and to use a specific lookup order. I know they could each do this manually but we have 2000+ users and the support overhead would be huge. We dont want to users to use the GAL as their default lookup (which it is out of the box) because it contains lost of confusing system addresses and duplicate names for the same person in different security level networks; which the users find VERY confusing to distinguish between). We wan...

How to set dependencies on project
Hello all, I have created a separate build on an existing project and copied settings from the existing project (Build->Configurations->Add). When I build the new project, it does not pickup any of the dependencies from sub-projects (ie I get link errors for all of them). Can someone tell me where to set these for the new project? The Project->Dependencies dialog list all dependencies for the project and are checked. Thanks mike wrote: > Hello all, > I have created a separate build on an existing project and copied settings > from the existing project (Build->Con...

cell selection gone crazy on Excel 2003

Sum amount if = 2 value's

Select All Names
We have a form with a combo box and that combo box executes a query to find all of the records matching the user's name. The query derives that value from a form based parameter called vName. This is how the process works. 1. The user starts by selecting their name via a drop down list combo box on a dialog form. 2. That selection becomes the value of vName. 3. The user clicks OK and then moves to the data entry form. 4. On the data entry form, the user then clicks on another combo box which runs the aforementined query, which in turn uses the value of the variable vName to find ...

Problems with MFC list controls
I have a large list control with many inventory control items displayed within. When someone single clicks on an item, it displays information about that item in another part of the dialog. I have a three-fold problem, the master list has multiple columns in it, in order to make the selection work properly, only column 0 can be selected, is there a way to make a valid row selection if you select an item using any of the other columns? Second issue is the highlight of the selection. Only column 0 in the list control will highlight, is there a way to make the entire row highlight when an...

IF statement based on True/False that activates a certain list box
I've been asked to create a formula that will react to either "yes" or "no" entered into a cell which will show options in another cell based on a certain list. Example: Cells D3:D5 contain the values Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday (list named BegWeek) Cells E3:E5 contain the values Thursday, Friday, Saturday (list named EndWeek) Cell A3 accepts either "yes" or "no" entry only from a list If A3 = "Yes" then B3 will = drop down list BegWeek If A3 = "No" then B3 will = drop down list End Week I don't even know if thi...

Selection/Inversion
Not really a C++ or MFC issue but I can't think of anywhere better to ask: In the old days, the generally accepted method of selecting a block in a document was simply to invert the colours on the appropriate part of the document. This had the advantage of being fast but graphics cards are a bit better these days and subtler effects tend to be used in controls and things like Word documents. As far as I can see, when a selection changes, it must just redraw the whole window or an appropriate large part of it (double buffered to avoid flicker). (To increase a selection on a white back...

Compare each value in a range to each value in another range
I am looking for a macro that will return a comparison of each cell in a range to each cell in another range. example. the first range would have vales of 1,2,3 and the second range would have values of 5,6,7 Thus the macro should return 9 possible comparisons: 1 & 5, 1 & 6, 1 & 7, 2 & 5, 2 & 6, 2 & 7, 3 & 5, 3 & 6, 3 & 7, Can anybody help me with this?? Just hazarding some thoughts here .. Perhaps using formulas would suffice ? Example: Assume 1st range is A1:A3, 2nd range is B1:B3. Then Compare 1st range against 2nd range I...

How to import a list of links into Excel?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to import a list of links in to Excel? Under the sheet "Date", there is a list of http links under column C, and a list of name under column B, I would like to import each link into specific sheet at cell A1. For example, in sheet "Date", there is a link www.cnn.com in cell C2, and 1 in cell B2, so this link is imported into sheet "1", and keep running the rest of links. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it in Excel macro? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric Hi Eric If you have numerics in...

RDNS setting on exchange V5.5
Hi there, We are using exchange V5.5 on a windows 2000 member server. One of our customer can not send email to us but we can send email to them successfully. When he try to telnet our email server's port 25, it will take about 2 minutes for the banner to come out. but our other customer have no problem to send email to us Is there any where setting option in the Echange server V5.5 to specify the Reverse DNS lookup, I suspect our email server have the RDNS setting and it cause the particular customer can not send email to us. thanks, Steve http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx...

Find two different, unknown, names in list
I have a football spreadsheet with different picks listed in columns. For example, one column has picks: Ala, Ala, Ala, Tex, Ala, Tex, etc. How can I have both names displayed at the bottom of the column: Ala and Tex? The first name is easy, simply select the top pick in the column. The second pick is the "other" name. How can this be done? Thanks, Ed M. On Dec 29, 6:32=A0am, Ed_M <edmto...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a football spreadsheet with different picks listed in columns. > For example, one column has picks: Ala, Ala, Ala, Tex, Ala, Tex, etc. > How...

Pick Lists
Morning All I am making a spreadsheet with a number or 'pick lists' (or drop down menus) Is there any way I can have the 'down arrow' showing before users actually reach the cell? And can I somehow lock the cell so they can only choose the options from the pick list. Your advice would be gratefully rec'd. Cheers CO Yep. If you use a Combobox from the Control toolbox toolbar or if you use a Dropdown from the Forms toolbar. Nope. If you use data|validation. I just shade those data|validation cells a different color when I want them to stand out. Captain Ordinary...