how can I subtract the contents of several cells

I know that by entering SUM=(b1:d1) in the formula bar, this will add the
contents of these cells.  How can I do this with subtraction without entering
=(b1-c1-d1)?  Thanks!

One way:

    =B1-SUM(C1:D1)

Alternatively, you could array-enter (CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN):

    =SUM(B1,-C1:D1)

Note that the second solution won't ignore text.

In article <1C7A240D-3E4B-451A-90C0-E95A67A2DE51@microsoft.com>,
 "whiteteeth" <whiteteeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I know that by entering SUM=(b1:d1) in the formula bar, this will add the
> contents of these cells.  How can I do this with subtraction without entering
> =(b1-c1-d1)?  Thanks!
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
2/3/2005 1:33:18 PM
JE McGimpsey wrote...
>Alternatively, you could array-enter (CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN):
>
>    =SUM(B1,-C1:D1)
>
>Note that the second solution won't ignore text.

=-SUM(-B1,C1:D1)

will avoid the need for array entry and will only fail to ignore text
in B1. This is an old (REAL OLD) 123 trick.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
2/3/2005 8:34:35 PM
So old that it should have been second nature to me...