how can I clear an apostrophy in front of number in excel

I know how to change formats - however I have a formatted cell for a 100 +
rows that appear to have an apostrophy as a lead.  While I don't see it, I am
concluding that because changing formats to general or text is not removing
the green box in corner and is not allowing me to do a vlookup using this
column of info.
0
kcess (11)

try copying an unused empty cell. Select your data & edit/paste special,
click Values & Add.
"KCESS" <KCESS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I know how to change formats - however I have a formatted cell for a 100 +
> rows that appear to have an apostrophy as a lead.  While I don't see it, I
am
> concluding that because changing formats to general or text is not
removing
> the green box in corner and is not allowing me to do a vlookup using this
> column of info.

Another quick way:

Highlight the offending data, then click Data | Text-to-columns then
click Finish.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Bob Umlas wrote:
> try copying an unused empty cell. Select your data & edit/paste special,
> click Values & Add.
> "KCESS" <KCESS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I know how to change formats - however I have a formatted cell for a 100 +
> > rows that appear to have an apostrophy as a lead.  While I don't see it, I
> am
> > concluding that because changing formats to general or text is not
> removing
> > the green box in corner and is not allowing me to do a vlookup using this
> > column of info.

0
pashurst (2576)
8/31/2006 6:33:43 PM
Corection - not Values and Add, but All and Add.
THe other suggestion(s) will clear the ' from numbers, not text.

"Bob Umlas" <Excel_Trickster@msn.com> wrote in message
> try copying an unused empty cell. Select your data & edit/paste special,
> click Values & Add.
> "KCESS" <KCESS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I know how to change formats - however I have a formatted cell for a 100
+
> > rows that appear to have an apostrophy as a lead.  While I don't see it,
> am
> > concluding that because changing formats to general or text is not
> removing
> > the green box in corner and is not allowing me to do a vlookup using
this
> > column of info.

Hi,

Assuming your data is Column A, put a formula in Column B.

=VALUE(A1)

Drag from B1 to the bottom.  Select the cells in Column B, copy and Paste
Special – Value in Column A.  This will avoid the error checking and you can
use the Vlookup Formula.

Regards,

Jaleel

"KCESS" wrote:

> I know how to change formats - however I have a formatted cell for a 100 +
> rows that appear to have an apostrophy as a lead.  While I don't see it, I am
> concluding that because changing formats to general or text is not removing
> the green box in corner and is not allowing me to do a vlookup using this
> column of info.
0
Jaleel (18)

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

Find and Replace Footnote Numbering
I often have documents where I need to put formatting before or after the footnote number for every footnote, often for hundreds of footnotes...anyone know how I can do this in one shot? I know I can specify ^f in find and replace, but only in the find portion...it gives an error if you put it in replace. ...

learning Excel #3

random number generator
Hey is there a way to generate random numbers like you would for a draft. In other words, i have numbers 1 through 10 and generate a random order for those? Use the RAND() function. If 1-10 are in A1:A10, enter =RAND() in cell B1 and copy it down through B10. Recalc (F9), then sort by column B. Hope this helps, Hutch "pat67" wrote: > Hey is there a way to generate random numbers like you would for a > draft. In other words, i have numbers 1 through 10 and generate a > random order for those? > . > You would have to generate 10 random numbers ...

number format with leading 0

Excel VBA

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

HOWTO: Customizing CRM

Converting Formula into Numbers?
With a cell/s selected is there a way to convert the cell's formula into straight numbers (in turn removing all formula and leaving the same number)? -- Emp-Designer ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Emp-Designer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37564 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=571948 Emp-Designer a �crit : > With a cell/s selected is there a way to convert the cell's formula into > straight numbers (in turn removing all formula and leaving the same &...

Q:Excel/ODBC/Login ....
Hi' there ! My situation is this; My customer have a hole bunch of different Excel workbooks - with VB code inside. In this VB code the user/pwd to the ODBC connection is hardcoded. This hardcoding is not approved by audit. Is there any smart way (opposed the insert a login-dialogbox in each of those workbooks) - to solve this problem? What I thought of, is to make a button on my menubar to etablish the ODBC connection and regardless of wich workbook I open - hold this connection open. But somethins tells me, that the code should beplaced in a workbook - and not directly in Excel...