Header Row in Excel

I have a spread sheet with many columns and rows and I would like for the
First line of each column to remain visible as a user scrolls down the rows
so that he/she will be able to see that that data represents by simply
looking up(instead of scrooling all the way back up) to see that is the
heading of that column.

Any help would be appreciated.

Larry Hughes

Larry

Click on A2, then on the top toolbar,  Window > Freeze panes.
HTH

George Gee

"Larry Hughes" <LarryHughes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a spread sheet with many columns and rows and I would like for the
> First line of each column to remain visible as a user scrolls down the
> rows
> so that he/she will be able to see that that data represents by simply
> looking up(instead of scrooling all the way back up) to see that is the
> heading of that column.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Larry Hughes

0
georgegee (154)
6/19/2006 5:04:27 PM
Hi Larry,

Select the row 2, if you want to freeze row 1

click on the menu WINDOW | FREEZE PANEL

Does this Help?
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"Larry Hughes" escreveu:

> I have a spread sheet with many columns and rows and I would like for the
> First line of each column to remain visible as a user scrolls down the rows
> so that he/she will be able to see that that data represents by simply
> looking up(instead of scrooling all the way back up) to see that is the
> heading of that column.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Larry Hughes
0
Marcelo (77)
6/19/2006 5:09:02 PM
and for the same thing in printed worksheets
     file, page setup,  sheets,   Rows to repeat at top: $1:$1
     file, peg setup , Sheets,  Columns to repeat at left:   $A:$A
there is a little more flexibility in printing to allow you o not print headings
on the first page(s) until you need a page break after your designated  entries.
More information on both see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/freeze.htm

---
HTH,

"Larry Hughes" wrote:

> I have a spread sheet with many columns and rows and I would like for the
> First line of each column to remain visible as a user scrolls down the rows
> so that he/she will be able to see that that data represents by simply
> looking up(instead of scrooling all the way back up) to see that is the
> heading of that column.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Larry Hughes
0
WJMcCOY (1)
2/4/2007 8:27:00 PM
I went to Excel Help and did a search and found the following link.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA012001021033.aspx?pid=3DCL10057=
0551033

Epinn

"WJMcCOY" <WJMcCOY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =

"Larry Hughes" wrote:

> I have a spread sheet with many columns and rows and I would like for =
the=20
> First line of each column to remain visible as a user scrolls down the =
rows=20
> so that he/she will be able to see that that data represents by simply =

> looking up(instead of scrooling all the way back up) to see that is =
the=20
> heading of that column.
>=20
> Any help would be appreciated.
>=20
> Larry Hughes

0
someone6932 (228)
2/5/2007 2:43:55 AM
Also you might want to so see
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/freeze.htm
which covers some related things.
---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA012001021033.aspx?pid=CL100570551033

"Larry Hughes" wrote:

> I have a spread sheet with many columns and rows and I would like for the
> First line of each column to remain visible as a user scrolls down the rows
> so that he/she will be able to see that that data represents by simply
> looking up(instead of scrooling all the way back up) to see that is the
> heading of that column.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Larry Hughes

According to the guidelines of how to post and the opinion of the =
majority, we are supposed to do research before we post.  This makes =
sense.  However, sometimes I have a different view.  If the OP had found =
the answer from Excel Help, then he/she might not have posted.  As a =
result, I would not have known about your web site which is a gift.  You =
know if I know how to do something, I probably won't research.  Thanks.

Epinn

Also you might want to so see

"Larry Hughes" wrote:

> I have a spread sheet with many columns and rows and I would like for =
the
> First line of each column to remain visible as a user scrolls down the =
rows
> so that he/she will be able to see that that data represents by simply
> looking up(instead of scrooling all the way back up) to see that is =
the
> heading of that column.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Larry Hughes

0
someone6932 (228)

Gantt Chart in Excel. Do I need conditional formatting?
Hello all. I have created a Gantt chart that shows approx. 15 tasks in each project. I am using this to show percentage of completion for each task. It is working just fine and looks great but I need it to insert a date when a task is at 100% completion to show the client the date that particular task was completed. How would I do this without ruining my chart I already have working fine? I know this is probably easy to do but I cannot seem to keep the rest of the chart intact. Is conditional formatting the answer? Thanks! You could use Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler to do this: h...

Freezing? Rows
I have a question pertaining to Excel. I keep track of patients in excel sheet.. I add about 10 patients a week into this sheet. Then I sort it by patients’ name, so the sheet appears alphabetically. I know this is not the best way to keep the data... and I am afraid that by some mistake rows might get shifter and information for each patient will be shifted as well. Is there any way to prevent this kind of disaster from happening? Somehow "freezing" the information for each row for all the columns, so that individual patient's info cannot be shifted so easily? Any sugg...

Excel 2003 VB referencing #N/A not working but works in Excel 2007
I have a very simple macro that works in Excel 2007 but hangs up constantly in Excel 2003. Does anyone have a work around? Problem: When referencing cells that have a #N/A value, Excel 2003 craps out even if I use the ISNA application function before it. The following 2 statements will cause Excel 2003 VB to stop regardless of order if the cell that is referenced comes up with #N/A. Series = Cells(RowNumStart + X - 1, SeriesCol).Value If WorksheetFunction.IsNA(Cells(RowNumStart + X - 1, ColNum)) Then Further background.... I am actually wanting to find #...

excel formula problem #3
i want to set up a system that counts a series of dates but only say how many cells are filled, i can get this to work generally but section needs to count 3 seperate dates but only add on any one of the (eg) cell A counts the number of dates in cells B-Z but with cells D,E, i dont want all to count, only one of the three even if all are filled but it must count if any of the three are filled hope this makes sens -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try: =COUNT(B1:C1,G1:Z1)+(COUNT(D1:F1)>0) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > i want to set up a system that c...

SP2 screws Excel. Now only puts in decimal numbers
I installed SP2 for office 2003 yesterday and now anything I type into my excel workbook shows up with .45 instead of 45 which I typed in.. Any ideas? Tools -> Options -> Edit tab. Uncheck "Fixed Decimal Places" HTH knut "Tboz" <Tboz@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:42223421-8753-4E47-B4BE-ACED5FD1EF24@microsoft.com... >I installed SP2 for office 2003 yesterday and now anything I type into my > excel workbook shows up with .45 instead of 45 which I typed in.. Any > ideas? tools>options>calculation>precision as displ...

Excel Worksheet menu bars customizing for limiting users to optio.
Customizing Excel worksheet menu bar for limiting users to the options provided in that menu Hi Jim Look also at the links to MS pages on the bottom of this page http://www.rondebruin.com/menuid.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "jim" <jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8009001-5F5A-4415-9527-34C71D8DF1DB@microsoft.com... > Customizing Excel worksheet menu bar for limiting users to the options > provided in that menu ...

Transposing Excel Formula
I have the following formula to calculate the probability of an option trading below price B3 Prob = =NORMSDIST((LN(B3/B2))/((B4/100)*SQRT(B5/365))) B3 = Target Price B2 = Stock Price B4 = Implied Volatility B5 = Days to Expiration I want to transpose the formula to solve for B3, assuming a value for Prob. Here's what I got, but it doesn't give the expected answer - did I make a mistake in these unfamiliar functions?: B3= EXP(NORMSINV(Prob))*((B4/100)*SQRT(B5/365))*B2 On Feb 7, 10:14=A0am, Steveal <steve_alm...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I have the following formula to calculat...

Excel VBA
I have created a custom menu bar..a section of the code below...but d not know how to create a 2nd level to look like the example below. Period > Month > Current Year (action) Any suggestions. Thanks. ' Add a new menu Set NewMenu = NewMenuBar.Controls.Add _ (Type:=msoControlPopup) NewMenu.Caption = "&Period" ' Add a new menu item Set NewItem = NewMenu.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton) With NewItem .Caption = "&By Month" .OnAction = "Main" End Wit -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You should find your answer here (...

How do I change the format of how my active cell in Excel is view.
I sometimes have trouble locating which cell is active in my Excel worksheet. I would like to be able to change it to something other than just a heavy black border. Here is one way that highlights the row and column of the activecell. Private Sub WorkSheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Cells.FormatConditions.Delete With Target.EntireRow .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE" .FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 35 End With With Target.EntireColumn .FormatConditions.Delete .FormatConditions.Add T...

Can you use the old Lotus "/ commands" in Excel 2003?
In Excel 2000 you could use a demo mode to activate the old Lotus menu commands. Can you do this in Excel 2003? Look at Tools>Option>Transition -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "DAW" <DAW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5590E6E-DFE1-4A9A-8651-387B7F49D112@microsoft.com... > In Excel 2000 you could use a demo mode to activate the old Lotus menu > commands. Can you do this in Excel 2003? > It's gone from xl2003. DAW wrote: > > In Excel 2000 you could use a demo mode to activate the old Lotus menu > commands. Can you do thi...

EXCEL 2003 #8
Can I take the contents ("WD4") of a cell (A2)on Sheet1, look for a match of the code ("WD4") on Sheet2 in cells A1-A20, and return the coresponding text in B1-B20 on Sheet2 to cell B2 on Sheet1. On Sheet1: =INDEX(B1:B20,MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A1:A20,0)) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:582672AF-9360-4525-9F8F-9C236D08A1A7@microsoft.com... > Can I take the contents ("WD4") of a cell (A2)on Sheet1, look for a match > of > the code ("WD4") on Sheet2 i...

move rows from column to column
I have Column b with Name in one row and number in 2nd row want to move all numbers to Column a and leave name in Column b without having to move each one seperate. 1500 records. Use a help column, in the first adjacent cell type =ISNUMBER(A2) where A2 is the first cell with name copy down 1500 rows by either dragging the formula or double click the lower right corner of the help cell (as long as it is in an adjacent column) Then apply data>filter>autofilter and filter on FALSE in the help columns, select all visible cells and copy and paste somewhere else, then select TRUE from ...

resize all rows in the spreadsheet to fit the text?
I have an existing spreadsheet created by another user. Some of the rows are not automatically sized to display all text. Is there a command to resize all rows in the spreadsheet to fit the text? thanks email: softwaretest underscore 2003 at hotmail Church lady, try Ctrl a, to select the whole sheet, then format, row, autofit -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Using Excel 2000 & 97 Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "the church lady" <tcl@mail.com&g...

create automatic response to questions in excel....
Hi, Is there a way in excel where I have 10 questions and can click on one question and get the answer to pop up in my spreadsheet? thank you, Felicia On Dec 1, 6:39 am, felicia <feli...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > Is there a way in excel where I have 10 questions and can click on one > question and get the answer to pop up in my spreadsheet? > > thank you, > > Felicia One way, with questions in A1:A10 and corresponding correct answers in A1:A10 on a hidden worksheet with tab name "Answers"... right click the tab of the sheet with the qu...

2-D charting with multiple rows
I have a power user who wishes to increase the size of his 2-D graphics but is limited to using 32000 records. He needs to be able to use 64,000 records. Any suggestions? I think this might be something that is changed in regedit but I am not sure. Thanks! Yep, and you can bypass the 256 column limit with Windows API calls. Joking aside, how about two series, formatted identically. If you have duplicate entries in the legend, select the legend, then select the text of one entry, and press the Delete key. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorial...

How do I rotate a worksheet in Excel?
I know that it is possible to rotate content within a cell, but what if I want to rotate the whole worksheet? And yes, I know that I could just set it to landscape mode, but I want to modify it once the rows become columns and the columns become rows. You are limited to 256 columns (and therefore 256 rows). create a new worksheet Select your range on the original worksheet edit|copy go to A1 of the new worksheet edit|paste special|check transpose. MarkRulesTheWorld wrote: > > I know that it is possible to rotate content within a cell, but what if I > want to rotate the whole w...

Is it possible to merge workbooks in excel?
I am currently working on a project with a coworker in which we need to enter quality scores for employees into excel workbooks, with one sheet per group of employees. Is it possible, if we enter data for separate groups, to later merge this data into one master workbook? Thanks! Are you asking if you can move/copy your sheet for Group AAA into another workbook that has a sheet for Group BBB? If so, all you need to do is: 1) open both the source and destination workbooks 2) activate the source workbook 3) select any and all tabs that you want in the destination workbook (Ctrl-click on ...

Repeating headers wont work
Why is it that sometimes when I use the advance options, the repeating headers will work and then sometimes it does not work. I have different tables and one works and others do not. Shouldnt that work evertime it is chosen? Ben Hmm, I have been using it all the tiem and it works just fine. Are there any diff between table's definition? "Ben Watts" <benryanwatts@live.com> wrote in message news:uWhLCOCeKHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Why is it that sometimes when I use the advance options, the repeating > headers will work and then someti...

Highlighting whole row in this macro
Can I add something to this so that when the A1:A100 field is changed, the whole row (A-L) is highlighted ColorIndex 6? Dim x, cl Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Intersect(Target, Range("A1:A100")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Target.Offset(0, 1) = x Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 End Sub Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) x = ActiveCell.Value End Sub target.entirerow.resize(1,12).interior.colorindex = 6 or since the target is already in column A: target.resize(1,12).interior.colorindex = 6 eastrivergraphics@gmail.com wrote: > &...

how do I add a 'web address' to a cell in excel with a hyperlink?
how do I add a 'web address' to a cell in excel with a hyperlink? I am a new student to computers, and part of a test is to insert a hyperlink to a cell in excel linking to a web address. I have searched computer for any 'Hyperlink' connection words, but I think it not on here, Is that possible, although I have top of range computer. Anyone with a solution? I be ever so greatful. in xl2002 ctrl+k>in the link to select existing web page>either type in (at the bottom) or point to the url on your browser>enter -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austi...

Excel Hyperlink on Chart
Hello, Is there a way to "drill down" to data from an Excel chart? For example, select the series and have it hyerlinked to a table containing the data? Thanks. Bill Hi AFAIK not possible (or at least not without a huge amount of vBA code) >-----Original Message----- >Hello, >Is there a way to "drill down" to data from an Excel chart? For example, >select the series and have it hyerlinked to a table containing the data? > >Thanks. > >Bill > > >. > ...

Import from Excel #2
Hi, Is there any way I can import from MS Excel to Money? -- Chanikya See http://xl2qif.chez.tiscali.fr/xl2qif_en.php "cndesu" wrote: > Hi, > Is there any way I can import from MS Excel to Money? > -- > Chanikya See also http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=8. "cndesu" <cndesu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05433109-7FE5-4E53-8DE2-E3E2F5A8B34B@microsoft.com... > Is there any way I can import from MS Excel to Money? Hi, I have a pdf file consists of transactions which bank gave me online. Now Can I import this file to money? -- ...

Importing specific content into an Excel 2002 worksheet
I have some word documents that contain data I need throughout the document. As it stand, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are the easiest ways because the data is never in the same location on each document. Is there a way of capturing this data, and adding it to a selected field in Excel? The Word documents have a lot of 'noise' before, and after the data which is mostly contained in a table. This table also contains 'noise' that is not needed for the end result. Any suggestions are welcomed. Wayne. wrote: > I have some word documents that contain data I need throughout the &...

the new excel help is horrible!!!! (way to go, limiting comments)
how do I get the previoulsy found HELP to list the typical formulas, or use of special characters, like the & symble in excel. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=102753c7-0f12-402b-9da0-3...

alternate headers and footers
Is there a way to alternate headers and footers in Excel--apart from dividing the data for each page onto separate worksheets? As of now we are (depending on the user) either using Word to print out the correct number of pages with the correct headers and footers, then putting the paper back in the printer and printing the Excel sheet. or Inserting the file into a word document and then printing it. This doesn't always seem to bring all of the data over, though. Is there a limit to the amount of data that can be transferred form Excel to Word (rows and/or columns)? tj ...