Grouping columns in excel

H,
I've used the grouping function in the past to make a series of columns
collapsable. This has been very useful for reading and cross referencing in
documents with lots of columns.

Now I have a document with few columns, but each column is very wide. I want
to give column its own plus and minus button so that I can close any column,
or selection of columns, as I need.

If I try to do this, unsurprisingkly with a feature called "group", all the
columns are added to the first plus/minus button.

Is there any way that I can give each column its own plus/minus button?

Thanks

Karl
0
Karl1 (54)

I don't know of any way to do so short of VBA, at least as far as the +/-,
but don't overlook the Format>Column>Hide/Unhide capability. You might even
create macros & assign them to buttons on a custom toolbar.

You can also create custom Views & add a list of views to a toolbar so you
can go directly from one to another.
--
HTH |:>)
Bob Jones

"Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> H,
> I've used the grouping function in the past to make a series of columns
> collapsable. This has been very useful for reading and cross referencing
> in
> documents with lots of columns.
>
> Now I have a document with few columns, but each column is very wide. I
> want
> to give column its own plus and minus button so that I can close any
> column,
> or selection of columns, as I need.
>
> If I try to do this, unsurprisingkly with a feature called "group", all
> the
> columns are added to the first plus/minus button.
>
> Is there any way that I can give each column its own plus/minus button?
>
> Thanks
>
> Karl

0
CyberTaz

Viewing Excel files #2
I want to open XLS File, but do not have Excel. Is there a viewer to open these files? See http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4EB83149-91DA-4110- 8595-4A960D3E1C7C&displaylang=EN Regards, "jearlham" <jearlham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61CB8AE4-C587-4931-B8B5-07DBF050E589@microsoft.com... > I want to open XLS File, but do not have Excel. Is there a viewer to open > these files? ...

Can I highlight all the odd rows in Excel?
I would like to automatically highlight every other row in an Excel worksheet. This way when I add new rows, I don't have to change all the highlighting everytime. What I am looking for is basically the same as the striping function in a Microsoft Word Table. See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CF.html#rows -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "paulkc" <paulkc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D230F94B-01ED-4B1B-A7FA-50A6D5CF31CB@microsoft.com... > I would like to automatically highlight every other row in an ...

excel file won't open
When trying to open an excel file from an email in outlook I get this error the system could not find the file specified What could be the problem? Thanks Michael What program do you have associated with opening .xls files? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Michael Bresnahan asked: | When trying to open an excel file from an email in outlook I get this | error=20 |=20 | the system could not find the file ...

Anyone know of a good Word site (like this for Excel)?
Hi I know this is not the forum for word stuffs, but i'm just looking fo a good site like this for word. Looking for info on how to autorun code when document is opened. cheer -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If you are using msnews.microsoft.com click on msnews.microsoft.com line>newsgroups>word -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Syslock >" <<Syslock.15iysa@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Syslock.15iysa@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi > > I know this is not the forum for word stuffs, but i'm just l...

My custom view won't save in excel.
I have created a custom view in a shared workbook but my print settings won't save. When I go to open the workbook the settings have reverted back to the default settings. Any suggestions?? Maybe you could dump the custom views and record a macro that sets up everything the way you want it. Then just rerun that macro when you need it. pjpuddles wrote: > > I have created a custom view in a shared workbook but my print settings won't > save. When I go to open the workbook the settings have reverted back to the > default settings. Any suggestions?? -- Dave Peterson ...

grouping and subtotal by month
Hi i want know how to count subtotals based on month. Please see the below description' I have three sheets in excel. These sheets contain a column which has month name in it. Something like below MONTH Jun-06 Jun-06 Jun-06 Jun-06 Jun-06 Jun-06 Jul-06 Jun-06 Jul-06 Jul-06 Jul-06 I have a another sheet in which I need to calculate the number of records for each month. Something like below. I should get data from the 3 sheets and populate the number of cases in that month in the fourth sheet. Month-Year No of cases Jan-06 0 Feb-06 ...

add or subtract every 5th column
i have a spread sheet and want a running total based on values in every 5th & 7th cell for the entire row. now my formula is =A3+M3+S3+Y3+AE3+AK3-L3-R3-X3-AD3-AJ3 I want to continue to (or redo the formula) add every 5th cell and subtract every 7th cell without having to select each one Try the below... =A3+SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN(L3:IV3),6)=1)*(L3:IV3))- SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN(L3:IV3),6)=0)*(L3:IV3)) -- Jacob "bwilde" wrote: > i have a spread sheet and want a running total based on values in every 5th & > 7th cell for the entire row. > n...

Excel Print Spooling
i have a Laserjet 4 Plus shared out over a network shared to several PC`s. There are around 20 PC's on the network and all machines print to this printer via excel 2002 (office XP) without a problem except for one, which spools jobs far bigger than it is supposed to then prints ok. However on large spreadsheets this causes the printer (HP LJ4+) to give out of memory errors. Does anyone know of any settings which are alterable in excel ? or indeed any other ideas thanks ...

how to plot column chart with one series against multiple series.
I want to plot a coloumn chart. my x-axis is fixed. my y axis consist of many columns. i want to plot the first column and combine all the other column so that it is adjacent to first column. for example my x axis will be month. my y axis first column will be income. other columns will be expenses. i want a graph in such a way that i can compare all the expenses together with the income. Try plotting you data like this . . . Assume the following resides in the range A1:C4: (A1) Income (B1) $15 (A2) Salaries (C2) $4 (A3) Supplies (C3) $6 (A4) Services (C4) $5 Select the range. In ...

Opening Excel 2002 file in Excel 2000 problems
Hello, I created a worksheet in Excel 2002 SP3. Nothing fancy, just columns and rows with text and numbers. When I open it in Excel 2000, the following warning box appears: File error. Some number formats may have been lost. It doesn't prevent me from opening the file in 2000, but I still don't want users to get that message when they open it. I tried saving it as an Excel 2000 file but still got the same error when opening it in Excel 2000. I get no warnings when I open it in Excel 2002. Can anyone help? Thanks. Mark Each version of excel seems to be sensitive to diffe...

j'aimerais aller voir comment utiliser le remplissage dans excel
cooment utilier le remplissage dans excel merci en avance pour votre réponse ...

Excel Label Printing Problem
I am trying to print my list of movies from an Excel sheet to Avery fil folder labels. I have tried Mail Merge, to no avail. The problem i when I merge, there is nothing on the label sheet. I'm pretty sur there must be some way to do this. I can't believe I have to forma file foler labels as addresses! Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com David McRitchie's web page should tell you what you need to do: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep al...

Move Column to Next Tab
Hi, I've seen a lot of posts about moving rows to the next tab, but none on columns. I have tried changing code from rows to columns, but have not been able to get anything to work. Based on a data validation cell being changed from "Active" to "Inactive" in Row 3 of the column, I would like any column changed to Inactive to be moved to the next tab, a sheet is named "Archive". First column is F, and range is F2:F1202, if that helps. Thanks! -- Cell Block ...

changing default browser used by Excel
Hi all, Couldn't find any information about that in Office Help during the past hour and half. Hopefully, one of you will be able to tell me if that's possible or not. The question is pretty simple : When I click on a link in an excel sheet, I want my Netscape (7.02) browser to open instead of IE. Netscape options state that Netscape is the default browser but it seems Office does not care about that... Is there anything that can be done? Thanks, Fred I've read my message again and thought it might not be that clear... Here's the take 2 : In my Excel 2003 sheet, I h...

importing from Excel To Access
I have established an import button with the following code. It works fine for importing except, some of the header/column names in the Excel spreadsheets have been changed which causes an error in importing. Also, when importing I sometimes get blank rows in the database using code below. a few questions I have are: 1. Is there away for the import to programmatically change the column headings before import? 2. Is there vba or other means for the import to disregard the column headings and just import the data for that column? 3. Is there away to programmatically or other means to disr...

cannot open excel file from outlook

How can I reorder a CELL alphabetically in Excel
Hi - I am trying to reorder letters in each cell and have no idea if there is an easier way to do it. For example cell 1 might be ASGD and i want to order it (and millions of others) so it says ADGS. Any ideas please??? How about select the column, hit Ctrl+H. Put ASGD in the Find and ADGS in the replace. Hit Replace all. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D6664E5D-71FD-4085-AC62-B7123D1B3678@microsoft.com... > Hi - I am trying to reorder letters in each cell and have no idea if there > is...

Moving an Excel VBA app to the intranet
We have a VBA app which we would like to be centrally hosted on the intranet and eexcuted from within a web browser. We would like the application to still work against the user's local file system so that s/he can load and save data. Does anyone know a third party product that will do this or would we have to rewrite in .NET/J2EE? thanks, Ulf throw excel out the window; keep your DATA in a DATABASE and then you can consume it on the web ...

Excel Properties
I use a spreadsheet every day and save it about 10 times per day. I have noticed that my KB's are climbing over awhile(900,000 to 4,000,000).I haven't added any thing that could make this happen. Can someone help, it's slowing down my spreadsheet? Also can you see how much KB's are in a tab on a spreadsheet? Thanks See http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelProblems.htm and then http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelSpreadsheetDesign.htm -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Stoney Currie" <StoneyCurrie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

User disabled undo in excel
I have a user who somehow has disabled the undo in a spreadsheet. That's odd. You mean if he types something in a cell and immediately presses Ctrl-z it doesn't disappear? -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "YvonneD" <YvonneD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C14E661-49AF-4199-A905-AE700042D28E@microsoft.com... |I have a user who somehow has disabled the undo in a spreadsheet. Thats right. Can for the life of me figure what he did. "Jim Rech" wrote: > That's odd. You mean if he types something in a cell and immediately > presses C...

embedding Word files in cells of Excel 2003
(I am a beginner with Excel) Each month I send an email with an xls attachment. The xls contains cells which contain quotation reference numbers for Word documents. This is for ISO2000 documentation tracking. Now I also send seperate emails each with the Word quotation attached but I'm being told that when these emails are later opened the attachment is not always present. Is it possible for me to link the quotation to the cell so that after emailing the xls the recipient can open the Word quotation by clicking on the relevant cell? Beemer I'm not sure you could link the ...

Excel Chart trendline problem
When adding a linear trendline to a data series in a chart, the trendline appears in the legend but not on the chart. I've done this many times before with no problems, and it's working fine on a chart on a separate tab within the same spreadsheet. Has anyone else ever experienced this, and does anyone have a fix? Regards, Leonie. ...

Display error message when openning excel file
When openning excel and word file, the error message is: Program error..... x0C... I reinstall Windows 2000 and MS office 2000,and change new Memory, No virus found.the error message is the same. How to resolve this problem? thanks. Maybe you could write down the error code and search the MS Knowledge base: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx Huayang wrote: > > When openning excel and word file, the error message is: > > Program error..... x0C... > > I reinstall Windows 2000 and MS office 2000,and change new Memory, No virus > found.the error message is th...

Undeliverable messages to Distribution Group
I just completed an upgrade from Exchange 2000 to 2003. Move to new hardware. I just uninstalled the 2000 server after following the KB Article 307917. Now I have an problem with sending messages to what I'll call a large Distribution Group (250 members) not getting delivered. When I look at the queue I'm finding those messages in the Deleted Objects queue. I was able to send a message to that DG by expanding the group in Outlook before sending. This makes me suspect it has something to do with exchange not able to expand that DG. I've reviewed the logs and the only errors...

printing in excel, defaults to multiple copies
Every time I open up this excel document and try to print it I have to change the number of copies back to 1. If i forget I end up with 3 or 4 copies. I change it back to 1 and try to save but it seems every time I open it agian it is back to 4 copies. If i cut and paste the information into a new file and save it there the problem disappears and I know that is one solution but as the problem happens more and more I would like to find a way to stop this from happening or at least have to stop copying it to a new file. I am using Excel 2002 with SP3 but it happened with SP2 also ...