grouping cells to sort by only one column

Hi,
New to this so please bear with me.

I have a spread sheet where I am listing names in column A and othe
info relating to that name in columns B and C in the two rows below th
name.
I then start a different name in the next row down with the info in t
two rows below that, and so forth.

I want to be able to add more names in the future and be able to sor
all of this by column A only. The problem I am having is the info i
the other columns moves. I need it to somehow attatch and stay put wit
it's corisponding name without moving.

In other words how do I make everything from A1 to C3 become one larg
cell or block and be able to just sort by using Column A?

Any idea?

Thank You in advance!

Caauwe

if you select the whole range as arhe are to sort you can still sort th
whole block on the basis of column a only, and the info in columns
and c will stay with the column a info.  the problem I see is the tw
rows below your names will not stick with the names after you sort

I am a little confused by your description but I will do the best that I can to help you.
You say that you are listing names in 'column A' and other info relating in 'column B & C' in the two rows below the name.  This is where I am confused.  Are you listing them in the columns or the rows?
The rows are numbered and the columns are lettered.  Also are you trying to sort by first name or last name?
What I recommend you do is this:
Place the last name in cell A4, the first name in B4, and the corresponding information for that name in C4.  When you start the information for the second person, place the last name in A5, first name in B5, and corresponding info in C5, etc.  (A4, B4, C4...A5, B5, C5...A6, B6, C6...)  That way you have the person's name and info in a horizontal format instead of a vertical format.
Once you are ready to sort, you can click the Last name, or First name (depending on how you want to sort it) of the first person in your list (A4) and click the AZ sorter button.  All info from that cell down will sort along with all the corresponding info for that person.
I hope that this helps!  I will be checking this post in the future to see if it does.  Good Luck!

0
Reinboux1 (3)
7/17/2004 3:11:03 AM
If possible, enter all the items in one row. If you need a line break in
a cell, press Alt+Enter.

Or, repeat the name in rows two and three, and hide the duplicate
entries with conditional formatting. There are instructions here:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat03.html#Duplicate

Caauwe1 < wrote:
> Hi,
> New to this so please bear with me.
>
> I have a spread sheet where I am listing names in column A and other
> info relating to that name in columns B and C in the two rows below the
> name.
> I then start a different name in the next row down with the info in th
> two rows below that, and so forth.
>
> I want to be able to add more names in the future and be able to sort
> all of this by column A only. The problem I am having is the info in
> the other columns moves. I need it to somehow attatch and stay put with
> it's corisponding name without moving.
>
> In other words how do I make everything from A1 to C3 become one large
> cell or block and be able to just sort by using Column A?
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thank You in advance!
>
> Caauwe1
>

> ---

Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)
7/17/2004 3:15:32 AM
Hi........

You cannot sort on column A and have blank spaces in it and expect the
associated data in columns B and C to stay wth each name...........Column A
must have sequential data in every cell to keep the association,
.............for instance, if you have Jones in A1,  123 MyStreet in B2, and
MyTown,MyState in C3...........you can keep the association all together if
you change A1 to Jones01, and put Jones02 in A2, and Jones03 in
A3...............then when you sort on column A, the associated items in B
and C will stay with each name.........then the next name Smith01 in A4,
Smith02 in A5, and Smith03 in A6, etc etc etc.........

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Caauwe1 >" <<Caauwe1.19io5g@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> New to this so please bear with me.
>
> I have a spread sheet where I am listing names in column A and other
> info relating to that name in columns B and C in the two rows below the
> name.
> I then start a different name in the next row down with the info in th
> two rows below that, and so forth.
>
> I want to be able to add more names in the future and be able to sort
> all of this by column A only. The problem I am having is the info in
> the other columns moves. I need it to somehow attatch and stay put with
> it's corisponding name without moving.
>
> In other words how do I make everything from A1 to C3 become one large
> cell or block and be able to just sort by using Column A?
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thank You in advance!
>
> Caauwe1
>

> ---

croberts (1377)
7/18/2004 2:37:00 AM
hers is an idea.  if your 1st name is in cell a1, then make cell a2 =a
and format the font of cell a2 so it is invisible.  then you can sor
by column a

Hope this answers your question.  You can either merge
cells so that they all become one cell, or you can freeze
those cells so that they don't move and are always found
at the top of the worksheet.  If you want to merge the
cells you highlight the cells you want to merge and then
go to format, cells.  If you want to freeze them, do a
search for "Freeze Cells" b/c I can't give you very
detailed instructions off the top of my head.
0
anonymous (74722)

update column

auto sort?
Is there any way to make a dated entry insert itself in the worksheet in the correct order without doing a sort operation, or inserting a new row? would be a big help for my reservations workbook thanks D You could try the worksheet change event: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) <<Sort Code>> End Sub This should re-sort your selection everytime the worksheet changes. Hope this helps Sunil Jayakumar "Dave" <post@site.com> wrote in message news:%23czt38POFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Is there any way to make a dated entry insert ...

OWA jumping mouse

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Global Column Row Preview Font Size

Single click selects multiple cells

Referencing cells across sheets

How to unlock locked cells by MACRO?!

Unable to sort on customer CRM 4.0

sort by day of the week?
Excel 2002 I have 10 years of grain prices...one price for each trading day of th year. In 'A' we have the date, in 'B' the price. What I need to do i get a list of prices for Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, etc... Possible? (I really, really don't want to do this manually) Than -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com add a column = weekday(a1,1) etc and do a sort on this colum -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Thank you. You saved me 3 or 4 hours of excruciating data entry. Thi was the last step of a vital report. Now I can do my char...

total group & max function
I am using Access 2003 I created a Db for Machine Mtce. The table consists of 3 tables, (1) Basic Mach Infor (ie Mach#, Mach Name, Mfg etc) - (2) Operations Table - consists of different prev mtce (PM) that need to be completed at various time frames. Ex: "Mach 100" could have 3 different operations; Oper # 100A to change the oil due every 90 days, Oper # 100B to check the belts due every 180 days, Oper # 100C to grease the machine due every 365 days. The 3rd table is the "PM History" table which includes the history of all of the PM's completed with Work Order...

sorts not sorting