Getting valid web searches and avoiding sites that contaminate web searches

Getting valid web searches and avoiding use of "Forums" that contaminate
    Google web searches by including newsgroups postings.

Newsgroups postings can be searched using Google Groups, and such
postings should  NOT show up on a typical web search.  For more
information on (Excel) Newsgroups see
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm

WEB SEARCHES:
Using a Google web search is about the usual way you can get to web
sites with Excel information.  There are other search engines available
but Google is the most popular, and probably still has the most links.

The problem with web searches is the contamination from spammy sites.
Just like there are many degrees of spam the same can be said of
spammy sites,  so most of what you are seeing fits under the radar
of measurements.    Just like off topic posts to multiple newsgroups
is frequently off the radar of spam measurements,  even though that
was the original definition of spam.  Google and others will usually
catch spam directed to thousands of  servers/newsgroups as you
can somewhat see in your ISPs spam folders.

But the sites I am saying that contaminate the Google web search
results are those that attract people to post questions through their site
when in fact all they are doing is passing the postings on to actual
newsgroups,  and then those plus all responses end up on their
website to attract more users doing web searches.

One way to eliminate a lot of such webpages is to include negatives
on a web search       -htm  -site:excelforum.com -site:exceltips.com
unfortunately you would need over eighty such items that are even more
generic than those.   And Google only allows you about 30 items.
Along these lines are 3 google search forms on my search.htm page.

A better way is to use Firefox and install "Customize Google" and create
your filter of sites you do not want to visit.    Unfortunately for my own filter, it
is only for Excel and as you can only have one filter,  so I would have to turn
off the filter for searches when I want to see forums for applications that
don't make much use of newsgroups (i.e.  help with Firefox).

Sites that I filter out are those that regurgitate newsgroup postings, and sites that
are more interested in advertising than in providing free useful Excel information.
 More information on my Firefox page in this section (has links, including to my filter)
Note my filtering works for me, others may want to be more specific in their choices.
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm#customizegoogle

The quickest way for many would be to search only certain websites
for Excel information -- these would be fairly much weighted toward
present and past  Excel MVPs which is not a bad place to start but
for specialized material for a specific vocations you could be missing
lot of really valuable information.   See Ron de Bruin's site
  http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm      for Google Search Excel Add-in

By posting your own questions directly to a newsgroup instead of
through a web site, you are not enabling such sites.  Exceptions
of web pages  that will not add to the problem are  Google Groups and
Microsoft Communities (discussions),  that specifically exclude themselves
from Google web searches.
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm

If you are not behind a firewall you can post directly to a newsgroup
with  Outlook Express,  or through your browser, paste the following
into your browser's  address bar (location bar)

ISPs used to help you with newsgroups,   that seems to be pretty
much a thing of the past.

For tips on using Outlook Express see
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/oe/oe6.htm

footnote:
This was getting much too specific about working with newsgroups so started
this post more or less as a continuation from:
  http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=ekWqn9QhGHA.4104%40TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl

---
HTH,

---
HTH,   (Hope This Helps)

> And Google only allows you about 30 items.

Meant to look that up before actually posting
-- the limit is actually 32 items in a Google search

I need to C&P a section of Excel to Word but I need to get it to fit on a standard 8.5x11!
Is there a way to make this happen? The sections that I need to C&P are all the columns are 14 wide and the rows are 40, 41,44 and 65. How do I get these to fit on the page? Marc Marc wrote: > Is there a way to make this happen? The sections that I need to C&P are all > the columns are 14 wide and the rows are 40, 41,44 and 65. How do I get > these to fit on the page? > > Marc > > Smaller font, cut margins to the minimum, print landscape Print Preview > shrink to fit, are all options just depends on how wide the fields are. It just may be to big to fit ...

any problems getting msnhotmail messages through outlooK?
I'm going away and want an out of office feature. I'm thinking of setting myself up through outlook but have msn hotmail. Are there any problems with doing this? Sandy Hirsch If you're a new hotmail 'customer' you wont be able to get your messages with Outlook. If you've had a hotmail account for at least a few months you should be able to get all your email with outlook. Its real simple, even easier than setting up a regular account. -James "Schwartz" <Schwartz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B7EA122-7661-4350-8709-0376C1885EAC...

where do I get a supscription?
I know the site but where do I find it on the site??? Ask your local pharmacist http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm --=20 Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "need help" <need help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:E174AC64-45B6-43FC-BF51-889821AA4B75@microsoft.com... >I know the site but where do I find it on the site??? Surely that a perscription? "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eBKGdZDkHHA.4936@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... Ask ...

How can I generate a user friendly error message when validating XML against a schema?
Hello When validating xml against a schema, the most frequent error I get is something like "The 'FOO' attribute has an invalid value according to its data type. An error occurred at , (25, 913)". That error message is not very user friendly, so I'd like to extract the data in the failing node along with its parent node data, and show that to the user. Do you know a way to do this? I don't think there's any other information about the error position than the line number and position. Yes, line number and position is the only information that you have to...

Outbox messages get stuck with Scansoft PDF Converter Addin
If your Outbox is acting funny and changing messages from waiting to be sent (Italic Bold) to draft status (Normal Bold) and you have Scansofts PDF Converter Addin installed, you need to disable the Addin. This is from the Scansoft KB: Problem: When sending messages to Microsoft Outlook Outbox in off-line mode, the message is converted to a draft instead of a sendable message. Cause: The PDF Converter Com add-in for Microsoft Outlook XP causes messages in Microsoft Outlook Outbox (off-line mode) to convert from sendable messages to draft messages that cannot be sent when Outlook ...

Outlook 2007: Disable Instant Search
I keep getting notified when I launch Outlook 2007 to download a program to enable instant search. Is there a way to disable this? See http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2006/up060525.htm#search --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 <ccheviron@gmail.com> wrote in message = news:1148958039.306539.254390@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I keep g...

How do i search a subform from the Mainform?
Hi, I was just wondering how to go about searching for a certain parameter within a subform using a control on the mainform? I basically want to be able to have the same search features as the "find next" command, i.e. when the search name is matched the record containing the match is displayed in full Filters tend to remove the other information from the record (i have multiple contact names and details for each record) but im still wondering if there is a way to acheive the desired outcome using filters. The main problem is being able to use the control on the mainfo...

how do i get missing rows back
My excel worksheet is missing rows 37-58. There is a heavy gray gridline in between rows 36 & 59. Where did they go? How do I get them back? Hi Select from rows 36:59>right click>Unhide -- Regards Roger Govier "dkresch" <dkresch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EDE73AB-87DB-43DB-B9DB-E7E82C7D39D9@microsoft.com... > My excel worksheet is missing rows 37-58. There is a heavy gray gridline > in > between rows 36 & 59. Where did they go? How do I get them back? "dkresch" <dkresch@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Web Query Import
I have some data on a web page and I want to use the Data/Import External Data/Web Query to pull the data into an excel spreadsheet. The problem is that the import tries to interpret the data and changes it. The first line below is what was on the web, the second line is what excel changed it to.....I've tried all of the options with no luck .... I just want it to pull it in as text and not mess with it. Any ideas? 083934 03830000 05 0.00 30735800000000000060 83934 3830000 5 0 3.07358E+19 --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ have you tried pre-formatti...

Web Services for GP 10.0
Hi, I am struggling since one week with the installation of web Services for GP 10, every time i try to install, it goes to the end and then roll back suddenly giving a fatal error that is not specific or descriptive my sql server box and web services box are in two differnet domains I am not sure if this causing the issue any help i would be really appreciated Thank you Short from downloading and running the installation program, have you look at the actual setup requirements? I have seen this problem happen because of three things: 1) Attempting to install the RTM version of web s...

Rows to repeat getting cut off on 2nd page
I set rows 1-3 to repeat on all pages, but on the second page, it is getting cut off a few columns in.any suggestions? thanks! ...

Can't get bar code font to work in EXCEL 2003
I have a simple formula that converts a part number to a 3 of 9 bar code font in Excel 2003. Works great on my computer but a co-worker, who also has Excel 2003, can't get this to work. On her PC it show the 3 of 9 font in the drop down box but in the cell it is not converting it to a bar code image. Any suggestions? Thanks, Tony Most likely the font is not installed properly... She needs to reinstall the font. It can be done through Control Panel -> Fonts if you have the font available. "Tony" wrote: > I have a simple formula that conve...

This action is only valid for products that are currently installed
I have Outlook 2003 in Corporate mode. When ever I try to open a JPG attachment, I get the error "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed". I have tried "repairing" Office, and tried reinstalling the various filters and file formats, to no avail. Any ideas? -- Tim. Tim Munro <Excelsior@Liamtoh.moc> wrote: > I have Outlook 2003 in Corporate mode. Outlook 2003 doesn't have modes. > When ever I try to open a JPG > attachment, I get the error "This action is only valid for products > that are currently installed&...

Can't get to resource description info
We recently moved to a Citrix environment and seemed to have lost acces to the Resource Description utility. I can launch it and see the choices for tables, fields, and windows, but when I pick one the trouble begins. If I pick tables, I get an error message saying: An open operation on table olfd_files failed because the path does not exist When I click ok, I get another dialogue message: Scrolling window link table not on form Next I get what looks like a VB error: Unhandled form exception: Form load failed EXCEPTION_CLASS_FORM_MEMORY SCRIPT_CMD_OPENFR If I try to get to field d...

Search Criteria for combo boxes
Hi. This should be really easy but I must have a block or something. I have created a Search Form with a number of unbound boxes some of which are combo boxes. In these cases the Row Source is (ie. SELECT DISTINCT Tbl_MAIN.Province FROM Qry_Search). While my query and table actually displays the province, on the Search Form when you click on the drop down, the options are 1,2,3.... which is of course the Province ID from Tbl_Province. How can I make the search fields show the appropriate text options? Thanks! On May 16, 5:05 pm, Carrie <Car...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

Adding pages to Web site after converting from newsletter
In Publisher 2002, it was possible to add a specific type of page to your Web site after converting from a publication, but I can't figure out how to do this in Publisher 2003. I can add duplicate or blank pages, but I don't see how I can add a Related Links page. Any suggestions? Thanks, Barb um... Insert Menu, Page, select Related Links from page type menu, click OK. David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] www.publishermvps.com www.davidbartosik.com "barb" <barb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C0AA764-1C39-4A79-A69E-CB63B65F0F3B@microsoft.com... > In...

Looking for Visual C++ programmer with MS SQL Server 2005 to work off-site on small project
Looking for Visual C++ programmer with MS SQL Server 2005 to work off-site on small project. Please send me an email to: larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net NOTE: My web home page: www.seldin.net ...

get CPU usage (like in task manager) and FreePhysicalMemory
Hi, I've no experience in csharp and i search for scripts over the net for find the current cpu usage like in task manager (for all processors ) when i run it and another script that show the current Free Physical Memory. THX you can use wmi... for example Win32_OperatingSystem offers some useful information: using System; using System.Collections.Generic; using System.Linq; using System.Text; using System.Management; namespace memory { class Program { static void Main(string[] args) { var query = new ObjectQuery("SELE...

Getting ASSERT on one machine but NOT the other
I have VS2k5 (MFC, C++) installed on two computers. I have a project checked into version control (StarTeam). I checked it out and compiled it in "debug build" on two PC's. On one PC it exits just fine when I click the 'X' on the banner bar. However, on the other PC, I am getting an ASSERT in: BOOL PASCAL CWnd::WalkPreTranslateTree(HWND hWndStop, MSG* pMsg) at: ASSERT(hWndStop == NULL || ::IsWindow(hWndStop)); Any idea why it behaves differently on two machines? Jim Well, this suggests that the window is NULL or invalid. So, without knowing what window is involv...

"I love this site and I appreciate the breadth of skills that are employed in the various games."
"I love this site and I appreciate the breadth of skills that are employed in the various games." http://shenrilaa.googlepages.com/ ...

Excel on the Web #4
Hi, Does anyone know if it is possible to do the following: 1. To store an Excel spreadsheet on a web site; 2. To have that spreadsheet generate a display page that can be viewed on the web; 3. To have input boxes on that display page where data can be inputed, a "Calculate Now" button clicked and the display page be refreshed with the results of the new calculation? And if so, is it a big deal to do i.e. expensive? Many thanks -- Shyam You might begin with: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxpwst/html/odc_wstoolkitoverview.asp -- Gary'...

list of search criteria
I have a report that I print to pdf. I have 10 cities that I want to use individually as the criteria in the query field[city]. How can I make the report use city1, then city2, etc as the criteria for the report? Does each city need to be in a separate PDF file? If Yes, then you will need to use some type of loop to print he report for each city. sierralightfoot wrote: >I have a report that I print to pdf. I have 10 cities that I want to use >individually as the criteria in the query field[city]. How can I make the >report use city1, then city2, etc as the criteria for the re...

validation list became not working.
hi, i have an excel with lot of validation lists in severals sheets. while working with the excel i all the validation list in specific sheet became not working.the list are still defined in other sheet. but there is no option to select from the list... please help! thanks in advance.... -- Miri Tz. Do you mean that you have lost the drop-down arrow when you select the cell? If so, does typing an invalid value in still throw an error? -- --- HTH Bob (change the xxxx to gmail if mailing direct) "Miri" <miri.tzeelon@amdocs.com> wrote in message news:FABA720A-1F25-42...

WATCH OUT--Change you email address to avoid MASS spamming from newsgroup
I posted a message the other day and unfortunately used my real email address, without adding NOSPAM to the address and I have since gotten about 12 or more of the SWEN worm emails, the supposed Microsoft Security patch worm. Thankfully I have Norton AntiVirus which detects it. Now I know to WATCH OUT. Be careful! Joan Hi, You may be interested to know that your correct address still shows in your message header. The "reply-to" address has "NOSPAM" in it. The "from" address does not. -- John Inzer return e-mail disabled "Joan Apt" <joanap...

Avoid Corrupt Transaction logs
Hi Everyone, I have an SBS 2003 R2 box. It's a Dell box with 2 X Xeon 2.0 GHz, 4GB RAM, Power Edge RAID Card 5/i with a RAID 1 on a logical SAS 500GB HDD. System Volume C: is 150GB, Data Volume E: is 350GB. Both Exchange databases reside on the DATA volume. The PERC 5/i controller has a battery backup. It's default setting is "Write-back" cache with a battery backup. The controllers documentation Notes: If Write-back is enable and the system quickly turned off and then on, the controller may pause as the system flushes cache memory. The other setting avail...