Getting Combo boxes to change options based on other Combo boxes.

Using Excel 2007.  I am trying to create either Form Control Combo Boxes or
ActiveX Combo Boxes that will change the selectable options based on
selections made in previous combo boxes.  I am having a hard time finding any
information that will work for me.  Can someone tell me how to make 5 combo
boxes change available listed options when specific options are selected in
another combo box?  Please?  I've been working on this for a very long time
without success.  I've tried using Data Validation, but my formulas are too
long for all the different possible combinations.
0
Wolf (13)

You are on the right track with combo boxes.  However, you should create
lists of all the options applicable to each main option.

Say you want combo boxes to select types of vehicles.

You would have, most likely, a horizontal list referring to cars,
motorcycles and trucks.
Under cars you would crreate a vertical list of makes, such as Alfa Romeo,
BMW, Chevrolet, Daihatsu and so on.

Name the list of types Types - Range Name Define

Name the list of cars Cars
Name the list of motorcycles Motorcycles, and so on

Create a data validation box, say in A1 , and let it refer to =Types

Similarly, create data validation for in B1 where you can select the various
models.
Let it refer to =INDIRECT(A1)

If you now select Cars in the first dropdown, then when you click on B1, you
will get a list of Cars.  If you select trucks, on the other hand, you will
get a list of trucks.

"Ancient Wolf" wrote:

> Using Excel 2007.  I am trying to create either Form Control Combo Boxes or
> ActiveX Combo Boxes that will change the selectable options based on
> selections made in previous combo boxes.  I am having a hard time finding any
> information that will work for me.  Can someone tell me how to make 5 combo
> boxes change available listed options when specific options are selected in
> another combo box?  Please?  I've been working on this for a very long time
> without success.  I've tried using Data Validation, but my formulas are too
> long for all the different possible combinations.
0
Kassie (262)

Perhaps not an outlook problem, but maybe a setting change will help.
Hello, I'm using Outlook 2003 on a Vista Business system. I use it to monitor four email accounts, one POP mail from my work, a gmail account, and two POP accounts from my ISP (Bell), who contracted their mail service to Microsoft some years ago. The two non-ISP accounts work perfectly and are very reliable, but intermittently, one or the other of the ISP accounts start rejecting the username and password, which I know is correct. If I go to the web mail interface and test the username and password - there's no problem, unless the login server really, really is broken, w...

How do I change start-up default settings?
I want my Publisher 2003 to open with different 'arrange', font & font size settings to those originally set by Microsoft A tutorial Setting Text Defaults using Normal.pub by Brian Kvalhei http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/normal.pub -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "DISMAL" <DISMAL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3718CDE5-4970-4A4B-B17F-AFBAAA40E60E@microsoft.com... >I want my Publisher 2003 to open with different 'arrange', font & font size > set...

Change Junk E-mail SCL
I found out one day that you could change the SCL of what messages will be moved to Junk E-mail folder in Outlook. Does anyone know how this is done and also what is the default SCL level that is filtered to junk E-mail folder? GC GauiC <gudjonmar@gmail.com> wrote: > I found out one day that you could change the SCL of what messages > will be moved to Junk E-mail folder in Outlook. Who told you that was possible? > Does anyone know how this is done and also what is the default SCL > level that is filtered to junk E-mail folder? As far as I can tell, there is no &quo...

Change the default color Excel 2007 uses to highlight selected cel
I'm using Excel 2007 and I'd like to change the default color Excel 2007 uses to highlight the selected cells in a worksheet. When selecting a range (ex. A1:D10). The selected range takes on a light transparent blue. Very hard to see when working in selected range. I've tried changing Office>Excel Options>Popular>Color Scheme - 3 colors to choose from (Blue, Silver, Black). This doesn't make a difference with the selection color at all. Also tried to change the Personalization>Appearance>Different Color Schemes with the Advanced option>Item areas, thi...

Database Queries with database views, that base on many database t
I created 2 database views. Each of them uses 256 database tables. From every database table only one column is used in the select list of the view. Every database table has one column which is used for the join. Each database table has 5 rows. The database tables have not any foreign keys and indexes. Both views works fine. When I use the database views in a query like this: SELECT v1.*, v2.* FROM v1, v2 WHERE v1.id=v2.id I should get 5 rows with 512 columns in the resultset. But I get the following error from the SQL-Server (after about 5 minutes): Msg 8621, Level 17, State 2...

Change default sort order
Every object in my Navigation Pane is sorted 'Ascending.' This seems to be the default setting. I want to sort 'Descending' (on date created or modified) in order to bring the most recent object to the top of the Navigation Pane for tables, forms, queries and reports. I can't find anywhere in Access Option a place to make this change. Is this possible? How? VBA code? Ed This is a report forum so I can only assume you want to set the sorting of records in a report. Do this using the Sorting and Grouping dialog. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "OldManEd&...

~"~"" FREE web based business ~"~""
Your own web based business FREE! the products are in BIG demand and commissions can be up to 80%. Nothing to pay now - NOTHING TO PAY EVER. Get your business now - FREE! http://www.cashring.com/?id=wil1194 EP6tmc64C:JtY%9!K]gv This is a inappropiarte post-this newsgroup is for MS Money discussion only "Dave" <dodrlzae@hatmail.com> wrote in message news:1060158822.65300.17@despina.uk.clara.net... > Your own web based business FREE! the products are in BIG demand and commissions > can be up to 80%. Nothing to pay now - NOTHING TO PAY EVER. Get your business now - FRE...

oops... Getting product name from other sheet
Which formula can I use to get product names to transfer onto other sheets? Like: Sheet1: ITEM# NAME T0589 Rose T0575 Lilly T0575 Tulip Sheet2: ITEM# NAME T0589 T0575 I would like for it to recognize the item# in sheet to and automatically look for the product name from sheet 2 and fill it in. I tried a few "IF" formulas, but w/out luck. Thanks for any help... -- Nicki Taylor =vlookup() looks like it would work ok. =if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)) You may want to read Debra Dalgleish's notes: http://www...

Is there a way to change preset margins?
I have figured out how to change the default template, which is great. Is there a way to change the margin presets in Word 2007? I don't want to change the default/normal template - I use several types of page marins routinely, but only a couple of them are in the presets. However, I NEVER use the 2003 Default margin with 1.25" side margins. Is there a way to create my own presets to those that I use regularly? Thanks No way to create presets, but you can certainly create templates with the desired margins; see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemp...

~^""" FREE web based business ~^"""
Your own web based business FREE! the products are in BIG demand and commissions can be up to 80%. Nothing to pay now - NOTHING TO PAY EVER. Get your business now - FREE! http://www.cashring.com/?id=wil1194 "f:yo]2?am$\ETNlentO ...

what is keyboard shortcut to auto fill option
what is keyboard shortcut to auto fill option Rozeta, Try selecting your range to be filled (Shift-Down, or Shift-Right, etc.), then Alt-e, i, d. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Rozeta" <Rozeta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FA64E288-A05A-450E-BF9F-EBA7B61B4476@microsoft.com... > what is keyboard shortcut to auto fill option Do you mean a key that corresponds to double-clicking on the fill handle? I'm not sure there is one. If you go to Help and type keyboard shortc...

Changing how Excel INTERPRETS dates
Anybody know how to change the way Excel interprets dates? For the lif of me I can't remember. I don't just mean reformatting a cell. I mean if one would typ "8/11/04" Excel would read this as November 08, 2004 and not August 11 2004. Any hope would be much appreciated, Dav -- dgreenfiel ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dgreenfield's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1629 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27689 Hi this is defined in your Windows - Region...

How do I change the category axis number formatting in a Pivot Ch.
I have created a Pivot Chart from Excel data (Excel 2000) and I need to figure out how to change the category axis number formatting. Currently, the dates in the chart are showing up in long form (01/01/2005) and I would like to change this to something shorter like 1/01. I changed the formatting of the data in the original raw data and then in the Pivot Table, but neither of these seemed to change the Pivot Chart formatting. When I right click on the category axis, I do not get the option the change the number formatting (I do for the value axis however). ...

Language changes after update query
I have a data entry form where the user fills out text, numerical data, dates, etc. I created a button in the same form that runs a macro in background containing several update queries. At least 1 record changes from English to some other kind of language or font but it looks like Japanese or Chinese characters. I can't figure out why this happens and only on the that 1 macro. I would very much appreciate your input. TIA On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 10:10:01 -0800, Y2 <Y2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a data entry form where the user fills out text, numerical data, ...

Getting form expression results to update to table.
The totals from the expressions in a couple fields on the form don't update to the table. They (the expressions) work correctly in the form, but they (the results of the expressions) don't appear on the table after clicking Update All. Does anyone know how ot fix this? Hi Peg, First, forms don't contain fields. They contain controls (most commonly textboxes) which may or may not be bound to fields in the form's recordsource. If they are bound to a field, changing the data in the form will change the underlying field in a table (unless the form's recordsource ha...

Personal Address book address will not change/update
Hello, I have Exchange 2000 and Outlook XP/2002. I have a personal address book. When I attempt to update the email address of an entry, it always returns to the original SMTP address. Is this a bug? Has anyone encountered this before? Thanks, Rich ...

Cant get rid of large bottom margin when printing
I cannot stop large unprintable borders around the edge of an A4 page. Have adjusted settings in wordpad and in margins. New settings say the only border should be 0.01cm at the bottom. This has made no difference. Border is much larger at the bottom than the other sides. Any help gratefully received. That could be a limitation of your printer. Check your owner's manual. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Fangfur" <Fangfur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3BB0A9B-0FC4-439C-9809-2FCEBD6E6E4D@microsoft.com... >I cannot stop large unprint...

Advice on changing table indexes
Hello, Our Dynamics GP 10 database has been growing an growing. We've started archiving the data using Company Data Archive, but a big part of the problem still seems to stem from the built-in indexing on a couple of our largest tables: BM30400 - Item Serial/lot history for Inventory Assembly Rows: 92 Million, Data: 17.5 GB, Indexes: 34 GB IV30101 - Item Serial/lot history for Sales Rows: 45 Million, Data: 4 GB, Indexes: 7 GB Are there any DBA gurus out there who can suggest which of the default indexes are worth removing or re-configuring? I'm looking to improve the write ...

Changing Data Series in a Chart from Bar to Line
Happy New Year everyone! I have a question regarding charts in MS Access. I am able to create a chart that uses both bars and lines to return data, however, I can not figure out how to specify which data series are returned as bars and which are returned as lines. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Chad ...

Opening Form Based on Value Input
I am wanting to open a form within a form based on the value input on a field on the main form. How do I accomplish this? I am a newbie to Access 2007. Thank you!!! Don't have 2007, but in 2003 you could change which form a subform control was displaying with <subform>.SourceObject = "XXXX" "Deb" wrote: > I am wanting to open a form within a form based on the value input on a field > on the main form. How do I accomplish this? I am a newbie to Access 2007. > > Thank you!!! ...

Cannot see changes made to leads fields
I added additional industry in the industry dropdown in leads. I did this through the web interface lead customization section. I can see the change when I say preview. But when I go to add a lead I do not see the changes. I stopped and started the services still no odiffrence. I can still see it in preview but not when I try to add a lead. -SKP Publish the customization using the deployment manager and then restart IIS (iisreset) Stephen "Supertycoon" <supertycoon@gmail.com> wrote in message news:754fd6bc.0411101450.3c535e84@posting.google.com... >I added addition...

Switching to a shared Calendar in a Public Folder changes the input locale?
Hello, We have the Outlook client installed in English everywhere but many users have keyboards with layouts for different languages. When some users go to certain public folders and open, e.g., a shared calendar, the language bar changes from EN to another layout. It's a soon as they click on the Calendar tree - they don't even have to open an item. Does the top-level folder take the layout of the creator? How can it be changed, and avoided in future please? Thanks, - Alan. ...

Calculating a field based on what is in another column
Hi everyone, I have a 3 column spreadsheet. Amount Frequency Weekly$ (Calculated) 1200 F 600 i.e. divides it by 2 if F 100 W 5200 i.e. times it by weeks in year 5200 Y 100 ie divides it by weeks in year As you can see, I want the Weekly$ amt to be calculated based on whether the Frequency is W (Weekly), F (Fortnightly) or Y (Yearly). any ideas as to what to do ? cheers, Adam Assuming your data is in columns A and B, one way: =A1*INDEX({0.5,100,0.01},1,MATCH(B1,{...

Text Boxes are not printing
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC Installed Office 2008 over Office v.X and worked on a monthly newsletter as a new document,using Word, but copying and pasting from the previous month before proceeding to make changes. Print preview looked alright but the text boxes did not print. Is it a printer problem or a doc problem? It could be a problem with the printer, or it could be a wrong setting in Word. First of all, make sure you are using the latest driver for your printer; that is a useful precaution, as you use your printer with a number of applicati...

Send/Receive message
Hi. When my Outlook 2003 Send/Receive progress window appears, it used to have an indicator showing the number of messages downloaded out of a total number to be downloaded. This does not appear now, can someone tell me how I activate this feature again? The window still appears with the Send/Receive ISP names but not the number of messages etc. Thanks. Griff. ...