Formulas in Excel

Hi I am not sure how to word this but here goes, I would like to be able to
enter a w-4 withholding exemption (single and 1 or married and 2, etc.) and
have excel calculate this change automatically. Would this be an IF formula?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
--
Life, Love and Happiness
0

Give us some figures or a bit for information as anything can be an IF
statement, a simple =A1+B1 can be If=(A1<>"",A1+B1,"") or an if and
If=(And(A1<>"",B1<>""),A1+B1,"")  etc. so as you can see we need a
little more info!

--
The Code Cage Team

Regards,
The Code Cage Team
The Code Cage Team's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=2
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=31878

What is  a "w-4 withholding exemption "

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"blaze" <blaze@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I am not sure how to word this but here goes, I would like to be able
> enter a w-4 withholding exemption (single and 1 or married and 2, etc.)
> and
> have excel calculate this change automatically. Would this be an IF
> formula?
> Thanks for any help you can offer.
> --
> Life, Love and Happiness

0
nicolaus (2022)
11/20/2008 9:32:42 AM
Nick i believe its something to do with US tax.

--
The Code Cage Team

Regards,
The Code Cage Team
The Code Cage Team's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=2
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=31878

In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/april/04) data converts.
In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/April/2004) excel converts this to 4/10/04 (4/October/2004) Where can I change the input characteristics. I have changed the date format to English (UK) and this works when I input the date in the American format mm/dd/yy but I want to input in the dd/mm/yy format I think I'd try chaning my windows regional settings. In win98, I'd get to it via: Windows start button|Settings|control Panel|regional settings applet Date Tab Change the short date format to dd/mm/yyyy (I like 4 digit dates--you don't have to use that part--but put it in d...

Excel Lookup formulas
Hi, I have two questions: 1. I notice (occassionally) when I am using Vlookup/Hlookup to import data to another worksheet that the rules to not immediatley reflect the correct data. However, if I click on each data cell, and validate the formula (by clicking on the 'tick') it immediatley returns the correct data. Is there anyway of doing a bulk refresh that will somehow re-activate the rules that appear to have become dormant? 2. Is there a formula that will find the largest numeric data entry in a row, column, array? Thankyou, Don- Re part 2 of your question =max(place range...

Mail Merge Excel Data with Publisher for 4 up postcards
Hi, I have been browsing and searching for help on this issue to no avail. What I am trying to do is mail merge a 2 sided 4 up postcard with my Excel 2003 data. On the front of Publisher 2003I have the Address Block which is no problem, however when I try to import the matching customer data to the back of the postcard it does not match up at all with the front. I have also 2 publisher files setup, 1 for the front of the postcard and 1 for the back. I know the Excel data has to be in this format for the mail merge to work correctly using this formula posted by Doug Robbins: =IF(MOD(A2,2)=1,A2...

Excel Templates #3
is anyone aware of a decent payroll timecard/timesheet template in Excel? Thanks. Have a look at the templates found here. http://office.microsoft.com/templates/category.aspx?CategoryID=CT063469961033&CTT=4&Origin=CT061993501033 Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:26:49 -0700, "egcam@sbcglobal.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >is anyone aware of a decent payroll timecard/timesheet >template in Excel? Thanks. ...

Validation Confusion-Excel 2003
On a timesheet I need to ensure that when I enter in the times of a the DAY shift that it is on or after 6:00 am. The finish time is not important as the start time dictates the shift. For example, someone may start at 7:30 and work thro to 3:30 (or 15:50), this equals a day shift. I may have someone else who starts at 6:00 am and finishes at 10:00 am, this also equals a day shift. I also need an AFTERNOON shift that starts at 12:00 (Noon). I believe if I have the answer to the day, this will come easy to me (that is if the Noon time doesn't become a hinderance??) I also need ...

How do I create a database from an Excel form?
Hello Everybody - I need to see if Excel can be used to create a mailing list database from an Excel form. If so...how do I go about doing this? The list will need to include the name of the company, contact person, and address. Thanks in advance for all of your help! It is greatly appreciated! Here are a couple of links: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave Rado. FIRESIGN98 wrote: > > Hello Everybody - > > I need to see if Excel can be used...

Problem with Excel add-in and .NET
I have developed an Excel add-in for a customer. The add-in enables users to retrieve data from a database by using WorkSheet functions defined in the xla file. The xla file has references to a .NET component (.dll). To be be able to use the component from Excel I have used regasm.exe to create a type library (tlb file) The User writes in a cell =Quote('31/12/2009';'MSFT') and Microsofts stock quote shows up. These functions are heavily used in a excel workbook. Since the spreadsheet is big and there's a lot of data to retrieve, it takes about 20 seconds to op...

IS there a way to compare 2 excel files
I like to be able to compare 2 excel files to see how different they are.Is there such a thing? Hi Now imagine how totally different two excel files can possibly be. The report would say ... ? But if you have two pretty similar sheets, try Myrna Larson and Bill Manville's "Compare", downloadable from http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm HTH. Best wishes Harald "PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> skrev i melding news:%23BAzyBkOFHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I like to be able to compare 2 excel files to see how different they are.Is > there such a ...

excel Xp (ofc XP)
.. I need to install an legacy application that will not install properly when ofc2k3 is the current application. Furthermore, the app wants small business tools for office 2k installed I can't uninstall ofc 2k3 because there are too many settings and applications depending on that possibly a naive questions: is it possible to make the ofc 2k3 look like ofcXp in terms of word and excel? is it possible to install small business tool from ofc 2k pro without destroying ofc2k3? Note that if office Xp or office 2k is the current office application, the legacy application will ins...

Corupt excel file ???
I have a excel file that seems to want to open, but then when it is done opening, There is no data or blank sheet. It goes though the possess and say's at the bottom ready opening but then there is nothing and the screen look's like I just opened Excel but no spread sheet. I then can go to file open another sheet and it works. (Not the one I wont) any body help. of coarse we don�t have a backup??? Email: bhogan@emediaofli.com --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ First, check to see if the file is actually loaded. Click on Window and see if it appears at the bottom o...

Can Excel generate a 3-D scatter plot?
I want to generate surface plots of the form (x,y,f(x,y)). Should I just go buy MathCAD, or can Excel manage this? Hi Andy Pope has 'tricked' one: http://andypope.info/charts/3drotate.htm But you probably go for MathCad :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "zzzfizz" <zzzfizz@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BA2BEAB6-63E1-46E7-816F-B282C590C3D9@microsoft.com... > I want to generate surface plots of the form (x,y,f(x,y)). Should I just go > buy MathCAD, or can Excel manage this? ...

Tough Formula Question
Scenario: Sheet with db output regarding product sales. Second sheet w/ trend line formulas to predict how many to order for the next month. Works fine. Here's the poblem. Lets say it predicts I sould purchase 4 bottles of coke. Coke is only sold in incriments of 6 bottles. How to I make it round up by incriments of order number. The order incriments are part of the db output so that should help. I'm pretty sure I'll always want to round up. This cannot be a vb problem. It needs to be a formula. Thanks for any help and good luck. Hi Try =CEILING(number,order_size) =CEILING(8...

Excel 2003 giving annoying "Send/Don't Send" error when closing
I am accessing an instance of Excel 2003 through a Codegear C++ program I'm writing. The code looks something like this (not that it really matters all that much): TExcelApplication* ea = new TExcelApplication(this); ea->Connect(); ExcelWorkbookPtr ewbPtr = ea->get_ActiveWorkbook(); // do stuff... ewbPtr.Release(); delete ea; ea = 0; I can connect to Excel and write to it just fine. However, when I try to disconnect from it and close/delete the Excel application instance, I get an annoying Excel error message that says, "Excel has encountered a problem and...

Import Excel Data from another workbook or file
Is there a way to import or export Excel Data between 2 different workbooks? E.G. Import from "File A" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row2 to "File B" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row 2. What I'd like to do ultimately is import data from 5 excel files into one. tamato43 wrote: || Is there a way to import or export Excel Data between 2 different || workbooks? || || E.G. Import from "File A" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row2 to "File B" || 'Sheet1' Column A, Row 2. || || What I'd like to do ultimately is import data from 5 excel files || in...

Bug in Excel handling exponents
If I type -10^6 in a cell, the resulting number is 1,000,000. However, shouldn't the exponent take precedence over the sign? Specifically, shouldn't the result be -1,000,000? Search for "Precedence" in excel's Help. (I used xl2003.) And you'll find out how excel treats arithmetic operators. It's not what you learned in school. But those are excel's rules. So you have to play by them if you stay in excel. Personally, I'll add ()'s to make sure the expression evaluates like I want. Schizoid Man wrote: > > If I type -10^6 in a cell, t...

Formula help/suggestions?
I'm looking for help some help with a formula. How would I go about a formula for automatically adding 8 hours to a number each calendar month? I would like to open it and have it done for me if that's possible rather than having to remember to add it each month or forgetting if I did or not. For instance, i start out with the # 248 in a cell that I would like to automatically add 8 to each calendar month. "Gadgetman" <stoojz3@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:stoojz3-96EE83.15151022012011@usenet.ptd.net... > I'm looking for help some help with a formula....

I need help with a formula
Hi everyone I'm making a stock list sheet and I like to put on it the value - and + .. like when I take boxes out it will give me the total and when I add in it will change also. This is for a weekly count. I'm very new to excel so please H-E-L-P-. I need the instruction like u give it to a child. :) :) Thanks a lot -- pampam ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pampam's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26224 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395241 We need ...

Excel and Calendar Control 8.0
Enter an Excel worksheet. Click Insert, select Object and then, Calendar Control 8.0. Now, the Calendar is shown on the worksheet. And then, the worksheet operations is finished with the Calendar. Please say, how to remove the Calendar from the worksheet. Regards. ...

How do I link multiple excel documents?
I need to link three Excel Documents into a master document that will reflect the data inputted into the others. as of right now they are all one document but that allows only one person at a time to enter the data, we need to have multiple people entering the data. Let's try for the easy solution first... Are people entering data on different worksheets, which are then captured on a 'master' sheet via equations? If so, open the file (make a backup copy first!), click on one of the input sheet tabs and select Move or Copy, then move the sheet into a New Workbook. Save th...

Problems with Excel and User Capabilities
When I try to set up user accounts with access to only certain programs I run into a problem. We have installed MS Office v.X and I allow the applications Word, Powerpoint, and Excel to run. Word and Powerpoint run fine, but I get an error when starting Excel. When I start Excel up a window pops up saying "A unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Mircosoft Framework X library." I can hit OK and it returns to the program where everything seems to function normally. Has anyone else encountered this or have any advice? In article <#YTu5dWcDHA.2416@TK2MSFTNGP10....

formula help 02-10-10
Hi- Issue: 211 310 410 569 Would like to accomplish: 2211 2310 2410 2569 How do I add number 2 infront of the above ISSUE numbers as I have thousands of line to do. Soth If your number is in column A then in column B type =2 & A1 and copy it down. -- -John http://www.jmbundy.blogspot.com/ Please rate when your question is answered to help us and others know what is helpful. "Soth" wrote: > Hi- > > Issue: > 211 > 310 > 410 > 569 > > Would like to accomplish: > 2211 > 2310 > 2410 > 2...

Shift Schedule Formula
Hello. Need a formula that will return the shift name (A/E/C/F) in cell A2 based on the current system date and time. I am not sure how to make it happen. My shift schedule is below: A-Shift: 07:00 to 19:00 Sunday, Monday,Tuesday and every other Wednesday C-Shift: 07:00 to 19:00 Every other Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday E-Shift: 19:00 to 07:00 Every other Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday F-Shift: 19:00 to 07:00 Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and every other Saturday Is this possible? Thanks for your help. I created the following formula and put it in cell A2... it ...

Non-VBA formula to find 2nd Sunday of a given month
Can anyone help me write a formula to find the date of the second sunda in a given month? Thanks in Advance, Dav ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com David, Assuming you have a date in A1, this gives the 2nd Sunday of that date =DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1),1)+MOD(8-WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1),1)),7)+7 -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "DavidObeid&q...

how do i set up to auto detect duplicated numbers in an excel fiel
I use excel spreadsheets to generate joblists and invoices. I need to ensure that job numbers are not duplicated. I enter my clients numbers here and have had double entry problems. Help!!!! Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Peabody wrote: > I use excel spreadsheets to generate joblists and invoices. I need to > ensure that job numbers are not duplicated. I enter my clients > numbers here and have had double entry problems. Help!!!! ...

Converting an Excel List into Access
I am unable to import a specific excel document into Access. I have done countless other imports and never encountered an error. What are some possible reasons for being unable to import the file? Yes all that shows up is: "An error occured while trying to import(directory path here). The file was not imported" >-----Original Message----- >What happens when you try to import it? Is there an error message? > >Dano wrote: >> I am unable to import a specific excel document into >> Access. I have done countless other imports and never >> encountered...