Formula for using check boxes

If this has been asked before, sorry for a repeat.  In a form I' creating
that will be later imported to Access, some sections I have uses check boxes.
 I'm very new to excel, especially using formulas.

For check boxes, like a Yes and No, if a person checks Yes, I would like the
cell to prevent the No box from being check and vice-versa.  Also for check
boxes with multiple choices, if they check 3 items, I would like all 3 text's
to appear in the data field that will later be exported to Access.  Is there
a way to do this?   Thank you
0
Hell-fire (2)

Hell-fire:

It sounds like what you want in your Yes/No example is a optionbutton.  It's
a little annoying to be prevented changing your mind in the middle of using a
form, so using a checkbox and preventing a change is possible, but probably
not the best.  You can have several optionbuttons on the form.  In the
properties of the optionbutton, you can set a groupname.

So, for example: with two questions you can have four optionbuttons

Optionbutton1 with caption "Yes" and groupname "Question1"
Optionbutton2 with caption "No" and groupname "Question1"
Optionbutton3 with caption "Yes" and groupname "Question2"
Optionbutton4 with caption "No" and groupname "Question2"
.... If you click Yes for question1, you can also click yes for question2.
If you change your mind on question1, you can click No... then optionbutton2
value becomes "true" and optionbutton1's value automatically becomes "false"

Also, use the properties to set the default value if you so choose.

On your second question:
Checkbox1 = "Include this"
Checkbox2 = "text"
Checkbox3 = "pig"
Checkbox4 = "in my"
Checkbox5 = "car"
Checkbox6 = "worksheet"

When you want to add the results of the checkboxes to a cell on the worksheet:

Dim myoutput as string
If checkbox1 = true then myoutput = myoutput & checkbox1.caption & " "
If checkbox2 = true then myoutput = myoutput & checkbox2.caption & " "
If checkbox3 = true then myoutput = myoutput & checkbox3.caption & " "
If checkbox4 = true then myoutput = myoutput & checkbox4.caption & " "
If checkbox5 = true then myoutput = myoutput & checkbox5.caption & " "
If checkbox6 = true then myoutput = myoutput & checkbox6.caption & " "
myoutput = left(myoutput, len(myoutput)-1)
myoutput = myoutput & "."
Msgbox myoutput

If you check boxes 1, 3, 4, and 5 you should get a message: "Include this
pig in my car."  If you check boxes 1, 2, 4, and 6 you should get a message:
"Include this text in my worksheet."  If you checkboxes 2,3,6 you should get
a message "text pig worksheet."  which is admittedly nonsensical, but, you
should get the idea.

Hope this helps.  Unfortunately, I can't comment on how the form or data
will perform under Access's environment, nor can I comment on how to import
data or anything else with Access, although the environments are similar.

drhalter

"Hell-fire" wrote:

> If this has been asked before, sorry for a repeat.  In a form I' creating
> that will be later imported to Access, some sections I have uses check boxes.
>  I'm very new to excel, especially using formulas.
>
> For check boxes, like a Yes and No, if a person checks Yes, I would like the
> cell to prevent the No box from being check and vice-versa.  Also for check
> boxes with multiple choices, if they check 3 items, I would like all 3 text's
> to appear in the data field that will later be exported to Access.  Is there
> a way to do this?   Thank you
0
drhalter (1)

Using mouse wheel in VB editor

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Use exchange from a trusted domain

Extending formulas
Subject: Extending formulas Hi, For my application that uses Excel for calculations. I need to be able to extend the forula base of Excell with complex scientifc functions. Is there a way to add new functions to the Excel function base? Thanks Spx. MS has provided Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) to customize Excel with new functions, commands, forms, menus, etc. Tools|Macro|Visual Basic Editor From the VBA editor Insert Module Then write your functions in VBA. Details of writting functions in VBA is a very big topic, http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut01.htm may help y...

Customer check data

Adding a combo box to a worksheet

Need to add to current formula

why does my spell check not work?
My spell check has never worked. What can I do to set it up? In what program / version "karen" <karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA8883BD-0958-4AB0-93FF-F43E4FB9D176@microsoft.com... > My spell check has never worked. What can I do to set it up? ...

Sizing drop down validation box
I have a form with lots of drop down validation boxes, many of them are Yes,No,N/A or Pass,Fail,N/A so one a narrow box is required but all the drop downs are about three inches wide. Once I accidentally go them to the right size and saved the file, closed it, then re-opened and the drop downs were really wide again. Does anyone know have to set the width, I always thought they were the same width as the cell they pop from but not the case. Wayman Those extra wide dropdown lists appear occasionally, usually if cells on the worksheet have been merged (not necessarily the cell with t...

How Use ShellExecute with a CMemFile

Using INDIRECT within functions

How to use count for calls per hour

Formula Problem?
I am using Excel 2000 with Windows XP. I am having a problem. I am on Sheet 2 of my workbook. I have SSN on a sheet named Employees in the same workbook. I need to take the numbers on the Employees Sheet and transfer it to the sheet 2. I know how to do this. It just won't work. This is a copy of my formula. =SUM(Employees!C3) This should take the SSN that is in the C3 cell on the employees sheet and place it at the cell where the formula is typed. When I put this formula in the cell I am getting just a "0". Please help. =Employees!C3 -- Kind regards, Niek Otten...

Clearing "Custom Footer" box
Is there a way to delete the contents of the "Custom Footer" option when going through the "Page Setup" menu? I would like to clear out all previously created custom footers and start fresh. Thanks. TC T Crosby, Go to FILE>PAGE SETUP>HEADER/FOOTER, click on the "Custom Footer button. A new dialog box will appear with three panes. Highlight th contents in each pane (one pane at a time) and hit delete. Hope this helps Case -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You have some responses at your other post. T Crosby wrote: > > Is there a wa...

formula auditing/macro
Can anyone give me the sytax to goto - special - precedents so I can create a macro so I can assign to a hotkey and dont have to go through 4 steps ? Thanks, Yosef With A1=1 and D2=2*A1, and D1 as active cell: I recorded a macro for these steps: Edit|GoTo->Special->Precedence And the macro contained just one line: Selection.DirectPrecedents.Select best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "ynissel" <ynissel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA544BDE-3717-4953-A5E3-06191BC28373@microsoft.com... > Can anyone...