Formula for Game Spreadsheet

I am currenly playing a game of Ars Magica. I am using a spreadsheet to compute
the info for my character.  I am having a probllem with the casting total for
spells related to a paticular character.  The Formula is as follows :

=IF(H13="","--",IF(J13="",INDIRECT(H13),MIN(INDIRECT(H13),INDIRECT(LEFT(J13,2)),INDIRECT(RIGHT(J13,2))))+IF(K13="",INDIRECT(I13),MIN(INDIRECT(I13),INDIRECT(LEFT(K13,2)),INDIRECT(RIGHT(K13,2))))+Sta+IF(N13="",0,$H$2))

I am trying to compute the casting total for the spells castable by this
character.  The total for the casting total is the Technique + Form + Stanima.
This character has a additional abuility to double the lowest Technique or Form
and use that number for the casting total.

H13 is the Technique
I13 is the Form
J13 is the Requisite Technique
K13 is the Requisite Form

If you like to you can download the spreadsheet to look at

http://www.geocities.com/sanctumhr/SancMisc/magus.xls

At

http://www.geocities.com/sanctumhr/SancMisc/sancmisc.html

The formula I am refering to is on the GRIMOIRE page in cell ( M13 ).

I am trying to compute the casting formula based on the Tech and For adjusted by
the requisited to double the lowest one and add that into the compution.. (add
the lowest applicable Art score twice)

The formula is for figuring the Diedne casting total (When you spend a fatigue
on casting a spontaneous spell, the lowest  applicable art (Technique or Form)
is doubled)

Tech Cr(41) + Form Im(25) (Req Me 20)  [ 41 + (20*2)] = 81

41 + min[25,20]*2 = 81

Any help would be appreciated..

Thrumbar@cox.net
0
thrumbar (3)

Taking into account that there are no blanks in the column H, and there are
no spells with two requesities on form or technique, you may use this
formula, that simplifies the first part and includes a final part to add once
more the minimum of the four possible values of techniques and forms
=IF(I13="",INDIRECT(G13),MIN(INDIRECT(G13),INDIRECT(I13)))+IF(J13="",INDIRECT(H13),MIN(INDIRECT(H13),INDIRECT(J13)))+Sta+IF(M13="",0,$G$2)+MIN(INDIRECT(G13),INDIRECT(H13),IF(I13="",INDIRECT(G13),INDIRECT(I13)),IF(J13="",INDIRECT(H13),INDIRECT(J13)))

This works in the version I have downloaded from the web (that is one column
displaced to the left from your formulas)

Good luck in the game!
Miguel.

"Thrumbar Pathfinder" wrote:

> I am currenly playing a game of Ars Magica. I am using a spreadsheet to compute
> the info for my character.  I am having a probllem with the casting total for
> spells related to a paticular character.  The Formula is as follows :
>
> =IF(H13="","--",IF(J13="",INDIRECT(H13),MIN(INDIRECT(H13),INDIRECT(LEFT(J13,2)),INDIRECT(RIGHT(J13,2))))+IF(K13="",INDIRECT(I13),MIN(INDIRECT(I13),INDIRECT(LEFT(K13,2)),INDIRECT(RIGHT(K13,2))))+Sta+IF(N13="",0,$H$2))
>
> I am trying to compute the casting total for the spells castable by this
> character.  The total for the casting total is the Technique + Form + Stanima.
> This character has a additional abuility to double the lowest Technique or Form
> and use that number for the casting total.
>
> H13 is the Technique
> I13 is the Form
> J13 is the Requisite Technique
> K13 is the Requisite Form
>

> If you like to you can download the spreadsheet to look at
>
> http://www.geocities.com/sanctumhr/SancMisc/magus.xls
>
> At
>
> http://www.geocities.com/sanctumhr/SancMisc/sancmisc.html
>
> The formula I am refering to is on the GRIMOIRE page in cell ( M13 ).
>
> I am trying to compute the casting formula based on the Tech and For adjusted by
> the requisited to double the lowest one and add that into the compution.. (add
> the lowest applicable Art score twice)
>
> The formula is for figuring the Diedne casting total (When you spend a fatigue
> on casting a spontaneous spell, the lowest  applicable art (Technique or Form)
> is doubled)
>
> Tech Cr(41) + Form Im(25) (Req Me 20)  [ 41 + (20*2)] = 81
>
> 41 + min[25,20]*2 = 81
>

> Any help would be appreciated..
>
> Thrumbar@cox.net

Could you email me the spreadsheet, tried pasting the formula but got a error,
either that or lack of sleep for 20+ hours is getting to me..

Thrumbar@cox.net

On Mon, 15 May 2006 14:13:02 -0700, Miguel Zapico
<MiguelZapico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Taking into account that there are no blanks in the column H, and there are
>no spells with two requesities on form or technique, you may use this
>formula, that simplifies the first part and includes a final part to add once
>more the minimum of the four possible values of techniques and forms:
>=IF(I13="",INDIRECT(G13),MIN(INDIRECT(G13),INDIRECT(I13)))+IF(J13="",INDIRECT(H13),MIN(INDIRECT(H13),INDIRECT(J13)))+Sta+IF(M13="",0,$G$2)+MIN(INDIRECT(G13),INDIRECT(H13),IF(I13="",INDIRECT(G13),INDIRECT(I13)),IF(J13="",INDIRECT(H13),INDIRECT(J13)))
>
>This works in the version I have downloaded from the web (that is one column
>displaced to the left from your formulas)
>
>Good luck in the game!
>Miguel.
>
>"Thrumbar Pathfinder" wrote:
>
>> I am currenly playing a game of Ars Magica. I am using a spreadsheet to compute
>> the info for my character.  I am having a probllem with the casting total for
>> spells related to a paticular character.  The Formula is as follows :
>>
>> =IF(H13="","--",IF(J13="",INDIRECT(H13),MIN(INDIRECT(H13),INDIRECT(LEFT(J13,2)),INDIRECT(RIGHT(J13,2))))+IF(K13="",INDIRECT(I13),MIN(INDIRECT(I13),INDIRECT(LEFT(K13,2)),INDIRECT(RIGHT(K13,2))))+Sta+IF(N13="",0,$H$2))
>>
>> I am trying to compute the casting total for the spells castable by this
>> character.  The total for the casting total is the Technique + Form + Stanima.
>> This character has a additional abuility to double the lowest Technique or Form
>> and use that number for the casting total.
>>
>> H13 is the Technique
>> I13 is the Form
>> J13 is the Requisite Technique
>> K13 is the Requisite Form
>>

>> If you like to you can download the spreadsheet to look at
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/sanctumhr/SancMisc/magus.xls
>>
>> At
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/sanctumhr/SancMisc/sancmisc.html
>>
>> The formula I am refering to is on the GRIMOIRE page in cell ( M13 ).
>>
>> I am trying to compute the casting formula based on the Tech and For adjusted by
>> the requisited to double the lowest one and add that into the compution.. (add
>> the lowest applicable Art score twice)
>>
>> The formula is for figuring the Diedne casting total (When you spend a fatigue
>> on casting a spontaneous spell, the lowest  applicable art (Technique or Form)
>> is doubled)
>>
>> Tech Cr(41) + Form Im(25) (Req Me 20)  [ 41 + (20*2)] = 81
>>
>> 41 + min[25,20]*2 = 81
>>

>> Any help would be appreciated..
>>
>> Thrumbar@cox.net

0
thrumbar (3)
5/16/2006 7:27:32 AM
Finnaly got it, I had added a column to the magus spreadsheet and deleted it
corrected the problem..

Thrumbar@cox.net

On Mon, 15 May 2006 14:13:02 -0700, Miguel Zapico
<MiguelZapico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Taking into account that there are no blanks in the column H, and there are
>no spells with two requesities on form or technique, you may use this
>formula, that simplifies the first part and includes a final part to add once
>more the minimum of the four possible values of techniques and forms:
>=IF(I13="",INDIRECT(G13),MIN(INDIRECT(G13),INDIRECT(I13)))+IF(J13="",INDIRECT(H13),MIN(INDIRECT(H13),INDIRECT(J13)))+Sta+IF(M13="",0,$G$2)+MIN(INDIRECT(G13),INDIRECT(H13),IF(I13="",INDIRECT(G13),INDIRECT(I13)),IF(J13="",INDIRECT(H13),INDIRECT(J13)))
>
>This works in the version I have downloaded from the web (that is one column
>displaced to the left from your formulas)
>
>Good luck in the game!
>Miguel.
>
>"Thrumbar Pathfinder" wrote:
>
>> I am currenly playing a game of Ars Magica. I am using a spreadsheet to compute
>> the info for my character.  I am having a probllem with the casting total for
>> spells related to a paticular character.  The Formula is as follows :
>>
>> =IF(H13="","--",IF(J13="",INDIRECT(H13),MIN(INDIRECT(H13),INDIRECT(LEFT(J13,2)),INDIRECT(RIGHT(J13,2))))+IF(K13="",INDIRECT(I13),MIN(INDIRECT(I13),INDIRECT(LEFT(K13,2)),INDIRECT(RIGHT(K13,2))))+Sta+IF(N13="",0,$H$2))
>>
>> I am trying to compute the casting total for the spells castable by this
>> character.  The total for the casting total is the Technique + Form + Stanima.
>> This character has a additional abuility to double the lowest Technique or Form
>> and use that number for the casting total.
>>
>> H13 is the Technique
>> I13 is the Form
>> J13 is the Requisite Technique
>> K13 is the Requisite Form
>>

>> If you like to you can download the spreadsheet to look at
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/sanctumhr/SancMisc/magus.xls
>>
>> At
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/sanctumhr/SancMisc/sancmisc.html
>>
>> The formula I am refering to is on the GRIMOIRE page in cell ( M13 ).
>>
>> I am trying to compute the casting formula based on the Tech and For adjusted by
>> the requisited to double the lowest one and add that into the compution.. (add
>> the lowest applicable Art score twice)
>>
>> The formula is for figuring the Diedne casting total (When you spend a fatigue
>> on casting a spontaneous spell, the lowest  applicable art (Technique or Form)
>> is doubled)
>>
>> Tech Cr(41) + Form Im(25) (Req Me 20)  [ 41 + (20*2)] = 81
>>
>> 41 + min[25,20]*2 = 81
>>

>> Any help would be appreciated..
>>
>> Thrumbar@cox.net

0
thrumbar (3)

problem with formula #2
I have one column with increasing standard time (hr:min:sec). I put a formula in the first cell of the first row of a second column to convert the same cell of the first column to a value of decimel based upon minutes. The result is correct in the first cell of the first line (row) where the the formula was placed in the second column, but when I copy the formula throughout the rows of the second column, the results shown are always the answer for the first line - even though when I klick on the cell the formula in the lower rows/cells shows it referring to the correct later time ...

Text in formula?
What a pain in the neck to come back home after being away and not being able to access the newsgroups via my newsreader (http:// www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm). Anyway ... <g> I have this formula in cell A16: ="Don't take today: " &+A15+1 I got it from googling for text and formulas in same cell. I've tried formatting cell as general and text but nothing comes out right. The result in A16 should say: Don't take today: Tue.Sep.14.2010 but instead it says: Don't take today: 40435 Can anyone advise how to fix this? Thanks! :oD On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 ...

problem: formula appears as text
Hello...I'm stumped.... I am entering a simple formula: =RIGHT(A2,2) in a cell. The sheet has data on it but not a whole lot going on. I have tried formatting the cell itself, the column, and the entire sheet a number of ways...however, the formula appears in the cell as =RIGHT(A2,2)...as if were a text entry...it won't actually just turn into a formula and do it's thing. Thanks in advance for response.... -- couriced ------------------------------------------------------------------------ couriced's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=...

How can formulas be used to create another formula?
This is probaby very simple, but I really don't know a lot aout formulars. When I have created formulas to work out the percentage of each sales type that we have, I then need to use this % as a part of another formula, Ie Sales type A is 50% of our overall sales "=sum(B1/B3)*100", I am am then trying use this 50% to apportion our wages bill to a sales type. When I create another formula "=sum(B10/B13)*the cell reference of the formula I previously calculated" it is throwing out the incorrect answer. Can anyone give me a simple answer to a very simple question a...

Lotus 123 print, formula, format, ect
How can I get Excel to emulate Lotus 123 commands such as: print range, + - (formula) range, move information and calulatons. ...

How to apply a formula accross all the rows when the total rows are too much in no. ?
Hi, guyz i know you can drag the formula accross the rows in that column t have that formula in effect in every cell. but i have some data lik 5000 rows then how to get that formula accross each cell, its painfu holding the mouse and dragging the formula accross the rows. please advise thanks in advance sorab -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi after inserting this formula in the first row double click on the lower right corner of your cell selection -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hi, > guyz i know you can drag the formula accross the rows in that col...

Does Excel support mixed formatting of a string in a formula cell, yet?
Excel is one of the most spectacular apps ever created. But one feature I really need is mixed formatting of a string whose cell is a formula. By mixed formatting I mean, you know, making selected (as opposed to all) character(s) of the string bold, italic, a different color, sub- or superscripted, etc. In Excel 2002 you cannot do that in a formula cell (right?). In edit mode, the user would, say, press F9 to display the calc'ed string, selectively format it as usual, then cancel edit. Excel would save the formatting as a separate mask. What could be easier? The user would ...

Excel Spreadsheet #4
How do i change a spreadsheet to an A3 size? It's in the printer settings -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "teletubby" <teletubby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0366922A-B1C3-48B4-843F-EF649F76E7F0@microsoft.com... > How do i change a spreadsheet to an A3 size? ...

Formulas #43
I have a cell with a simple currency formula in it. I want to add a specific dollar amount to the formula result IF a single value from a group of 5 values appears in another cell. -- Thank you. John Q. Without more details, maybe something like: =A1+IF(OR(B1={"a","b","c","d","e"}),22,0) John Q wrote: > > I have a cell with a simple currency formula in it. I want to add a specific > dollar amount to the formula result IF a single value from a group of 5 > values appears in another cell. > -- > Thank you. John Q. -...

Maximunm # of Spreadsheets in any Workbook
Folks: What is the maximum number of spreadsheets that can be opened in any workbook. I am using the Excel 2000 platform Thanks, John. Depends on what your PC hardware will support. JoJo wrote: > Folks: > > > What is the maximum number of spreadsheets that can be opened in any > workbook. > I am using the Excel 2000 platform > > > > Thanks, > John. > > Hi John, All these and similar limits can always be found in Help>Specifications -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com>...

Spreadsheet Assistant Bookmarks
I have the Spreadsheet Assistant add in installed in my Excel 2000. I use the bookmark (which allows you to quickly access frequently used workbooks without searching though files). Occasionally, I have found that my links in my bookmark are no longer valid and I have to re-enter all of my bookmarks. When the links are invalid they will show up with ** at the beginning and will show the file location of the workbook. It is a great hassle to have to re-enter all of the bookmarks and then remove the invalid ones. My question is what is causing the links to become invalid and what can be ...

Scorekeeping Formula
Does anyone have a formula set up scorekeeping in Excel for the game Rummikub. We have tournaments and want to use the computer to keep track of scores, with minus scores added to the winners' scores. Thanks DocT ...

need help with Index, Match and Countif in the same complicated formula
Hi, I have a spreadsheet Expense Journal designed for entering expenses in two currencies, one for Dollar and one for a local currency. It has two sections of rows, the top is for Dollar Expenses and uses no exchange figures because the spreadsheet converts everything to Dollars. This Dollar section has five columns: Date Project # Account # Description Dollar Amount In the blank spreadsheet that they start anew each quarter, there are only two rows setup for Dollar expenses because most of their expenses will be in Local currency. Below the Dollar secti...

updating two seperate spreadsheets with same info
I have 2 seperate spreadsheets one with monthly info and one with yearly info. I wondered if there was a way to update the same info in one spreadsheet and it automatically fill in in the other spreadsheet since its the same information going into both databases without having to copy/paste all the time why not have one where you filter for month ??? data>filter>autofilter -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "T" <T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E30B3EE-2D44-4E1D-8F10-16CC36DB8D6E@microsoft.com.....

How to Add page numbers to a excel spreadsheet?
-- redhead Page numbers are printed in the header or footer of a worksheet. On the File menu, choose Page Setup. On the Header/Footer tab, use a predefined header or footer from the dropdowns, or design a custom one. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ redhead101863 wrote: ...

in formula a range cell reference eg) $A1:$A20 that is static when filling
if i want a cell reference to not increment when filling i put a dollar sign in front of it i noticed this does not work when you specify a range of cells eg ) $A1:$A20 although it is not an error when i fill in a formula it still increments the cell reference in each row but if i specify a single cell it does not. does anyone know the syntax for this, it's hard to word so i havent been able to find anything on google. thanks for your help! cheers, /sh You mean like this: =SUM($A$1:$A$20) ? -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- P...

Excel automation: how to open a blank spreadsheet
Hello, When using Excel automation: ..Open command requires the full path to the file (workbook) I need to open just blank, unnamed spreadsheet. How to do that? Thanks, Claire "Claire" <replyto@fra> wrote in message news:eD4hhm4BLHA.5584@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hello, > When using Excel automation: > .Open command requires the full path to the file (workbook) > I need to open just blank, unnamed spreadsheet. > How to do that? > Thanks, Claire I have found that doing: ..Visible = True and then using .Add it will s...

Formula for counting cells with value 'x' provided Col U = 'y'
Hi guys, Need some help with a formula please. Have tried myself and know that the answer is straightforward but going through a mental block! Col Q Col R A01 58 A01 62 P02 62 Both columns data starts in cell 14 and runs down to cell 10000. I need to count the entries in Column Q that = A01 ONLY IF Col R = 62. Then do the same for Q = A01 ONLY IF R = 58, and so on. The worksheet is a year-to-date file and will be updated weekly with many entries in both columns with varying values. Many thanks. Hi, =SUMPRODUCT((Q1:Q10000="A01")*(R1:R1000...

Formulas to run offline in 3.0?
Hi CRM Pros I have a prospective 3.0 customer. Basically they have a not too complex Excel sheet, that they would like to replace with CRM functionalty instead, in order to run it offline with automatic sync to the CRM server. I know that I can customize CRM 3.0 with extra fields on the oppertunity entity and with custom exchange rate and freight rate tables. But what are the possibilities in 3.0 of creating calculations to run automatically, e.g., tallying the sum of some of the custom fields, or for multiplying some of them together with the exhange rate from a separate table? These calcula...

Count formulas
I am trying to do a set of 3 counts between 1-100. Under 80 Between 80-90 and 90+. I have 2 formulas that are working and can't seem to figure the 3rd, could anyone help? 1st =COUNTIF(G4:K22,">89.99") 2nd =COUNTIF (G4:K22,"<79.99") It is the middle one that I am not able to figure out. count all -those two or =sumproduct((g4:k22>=80)*(f4:k22<90)) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Barb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:045801c3d85f$f193bdb0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to do a set of...

Formula?
Hi, I have my data set up the following way - the columns refer to th month and the rows are the different projects I'm tracking. Projec "A" has data in months Jan-Oct (10 values), while Project "B" has dat in months Jan, March, July, August & Sept (5 values)-the missing month are blank. Is there a way get the average of the last 4 values fo each project? Maybe using a count function? thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi if your values are in A1:J1 use the following array formula (entered with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) =AVERAGE(OFFSET(J1,0,0,1,-...

Spreadsheet Opens in 2 Windows ??
Hi - I'm running Excel 2002 as part of MS Office XP. I have one spreadsheet that has begun opening two windows whenever I open the file - filename.xls:1 and filename.xls:2. This only happens with one particular file, and has just recently started with that file, so I'm sure it's something I've done. When I update the file in one window, it also updates in the other window. How do I get this thing back to opening normally, in just 1 window?? Thanks a bunch. Whit Open the file, press Ctrl + F4, save the file, you (or someone else) saved the file when you had 2 windows of the s...

rolling up several spreadsheets into one
I have approx 6 spreadsheets I need to merge into one document to receive a final result. Each spreadsheet will be worked by a different indiviudual. The spreadsheets are being used to produce auditing scores for several areas and merged into one final soreadsheet rolling up all of the totals. I'm unsure at this point what is the best way to go about this. Any feedback is very appreciative. Thank you. Try this: You might be able to use MS Query to consolidate the Excel ranges from your multiple wkbks/wkshts. This also works for consolidating data from the active workbook (...

formula #59
i am trying to do this:: =IF(J48<25,"",K48) just insert the info from I48 into K48 BUT =IF(J48>25) then add J48 info to I48 and place the total in K48. is this possible and how is it done =if(j48<25,"",if(j48>25,j48+i48)) -- y_not ------------------------------------------------------------------------ y_not's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19947 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=394739 A formula can only enter values into the cell in which it resides, it cannot enter data int...

if and formula
hi i am trying to check if a time value is greater that 2am and smaller than 2.30 am if it is put 1:59:30 in the cell if it the time value is smaller or bigger put cel value into cell i am using the formula below =IF(AND(C73>="02:00:00",C73<="02:30:00"),"01:59:30",C73) i am checking the formula with 02:01:00 (should put 1:59:30 ) actuall puts 02:01:00 i am checking the formula with 01:01:29(should put 01:01:29) actuall puts 01:01:29 but i can't get it working correctly any ideas thanks kevin By enclosing those times within quotes you are conve...