formula for adding / subtracting two columns .

Can't find formula to add or subtract two or three entire columns in a spread
sheet
Thank you
0
JM (81)

Let's say we have numbers in two columns, column A and column B from rows 1
thru 100.

In C1, enter:
=A1+B1 and copy down thru C100

Column C will be the sum of columns A & B.

To get the grand sum of columns A & B in a single cell, enter in an un-used
cell:
=SUM(A1:B100)
--
Gary''s Student

"jm" wrote:

> Can't find formula to add or subtract two or three entire columns in a spread
> sheet
> Thank you
0
GarysStudent (1572)
5/24/2006 8:54:01 AM
Hi
Try something like:
=SUM(A:A)-SUM(B:B)-SUM(C:C)

Andy.

"jm" <jm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can't find formula to add or subtract two or three entire columns in a
> spread
> sheet
> Thank you

0
Andy

Date formula
Hi All I would like to put today's date into a cell by entering data into another cell, the following is what I am using now: = IF(B3="","",TODAY()) If I open the worksheet tomorrow, then the date will change, how do I get the date to not change? Thanks George Gee -- Take a look at http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html In article <edJVeLM$EHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, "George Gee" <george.nomaps@ntlworld.xom> wrote: > Hi All > > I would like to put today's date into a cell by entering data into another &g...

pivottable formula
I have the below daily data grouped by month. I have the actual total transmitted and suppressed records. Using the same fields I have the daily avg transmitted and suppressed records. Days is the count of day in each month (excludeing weekends). See data below: Avg Dly Avg Dly Date Trnsmttd Suppressed Trnsmttd Suppressed Days Jul 97,282 65,811 6,080 5,062 16 Aug 125,339 126,538 6,267 6,327 20 Sep 129,856 109,692 6,184 5,223 21 Oct 136,805 151...

formula is in C6
How do I put the results of a formula into a different cell from the formula? Thanks, Bob Type =C6 in cell F12. Bob wrote: > How do I put the results of a formula into a different cell from the formula? > Thanks, Bob Of course. I don't know what I was thinking. Except, I thought I'd read that the cell that contains the formula can contain a statement telling where to redirect the results. But I suppose having one cell equal the formula cell would be enough. Thanks, Bob "garfield-n-odie" wrote: > Type =C6 in cell F12. > > Bob wrote: > > Ho...

Format Column
I have a column with inmate id numbers in it. I imported them from a text based program. I made a custom formatting for the column because all the id numbers begin with zero. IE 00112356 or 01555666 etc... The format I used was 00000000 under custom. The problem now is that I want to import them into access but access doesn't see the zero at the beginning. How can I make it show the literal number including the zeros? I tried adding the '01222555 before the number, but I would have to manually append 2000 records. Is there a faster way? Morph. Hi you could use a helper column...

adding quickpad layouts on MIcrosoft POS
Does any one know how to create new layouts? ...

Path in formula
Hello, I discovered something quite disturbing about the way Excel handles paths in formulas. I have a few directories/sub-directories with Excel files in them, with external links in formulas between them. If I move them to another place : - the "external links" remain correct for the formulas containing paths that go "down" (= pointing to sub-directories) - all external links pointing "up" (to the directory above the file) are broken !!! How can I fix that ?!? Thanks ! "myname" <lslfkjs@sdfmsflmk.com> wrote in message news:43cbf3cf$0$196...

Binding two table into one Crecordset
I am trying to bind two tables in a database into one recordset. I have added all the Column and Binded them with Class wizard and have added the Games table to the GetDefaultSQL() method and the filter to the set object. When I run the program it tells me that I have: Attemped to scroll past the end or before beginning of the data. This the section of my code that I added the filter to. it is in my OnInitialUpdate for my recordview m_pSet = &GetDocument()->m_leagueManagerDBSet; m_pSet->m_strFilter = "Teams.Teams_ID = Games.ID"; CRecordView::OnInitialUpdate(); G...

Two types of crash in XP?
Hi, I'm trying to track down a very intermittent bug in an MFC application. When the error occurs it says something about a memory address and there's an OK/cancel button (not seen the error for a while so I don't recall exactly - possibly "unhandled exception"). Yet when I put code like this in the app - char *p = 0; *p = '1'; I get the "product.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." dialogue and get the option to send something to Microsoft. Why do I get that dialogue for my simple test code and so...

Data to transfer from column to row #2
Dear All, I have a cell that contains like: PM-1234, PM-2345, PM-5689, PM-9999. I want to segregate these 4 tag into rows. i.e., PM-1234 PM-2345 PM-5689 PM-9999 Is there any excel guru out there to help in my problem??? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, qwerty7 -- qwerty7 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- qwerty70's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3267 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=52474 If you highlight the four cells containing the data, then click <...

Experts pls !!! problem in Adding items to a subclassed CListCtrl class
Hi, I am adding item to a subclassed class of CListCtrl. What is teh correct place to add items in subclassed CListCtrl Class . I did the folowing steps.Pls let me know where I am goin wrong. 1.In a MFC Doc view with Form view,dragged the CList Control in the view. 2.Created a class from the class wizard MyListtrlwith base class CListCtrl. 3.Add a message handler for OnLButtonDown for MyListtrl and added a Message Box 4.Then in resource view selected teh clistcrl and add memebr variable and this time selected MyListtrl and named it m_myListCtrl; 5.When I executed the app,I get message ...

Need to add range reference to existing formulas
I have two formulas I need to add range references to. An Array {=SUM(IF(H7:H42=R53,P7:P42))} A Formula =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(R53,H7:H42,0)),"",INDEX(G7:G42,MATCH(R53,H7:H42,0))) In the first, I need the ranges to be H7:H42 and AQ7:AQ45, P7:P42 and AY7:AY45. In the second, I need the ranges to be H7:H42 and AQ7:AQ45, G7:G42 and AP7:AP4 Any help would be appreciated, JSJenn --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Ranges in arrays have to be the same number of cells. 7 to 42 AND 7 TO 45 do not meet this critiera. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy jsjenn > <<jsjenn.10...

How do I split a column of information into two?
I have a column of information that I would like to split into two columns. As follows Mr John Smith (johnsmith@hotmail.com) Mrs Katie Brown (katiebrown@hotmail.com) I need to put everything in the bracket into a new column! Can anyone help? One way, assuming data as posted in A2 down In B2: =LEFT(A2,SEARCH("(",A2)-1) In C2: =RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-SEARCH("(",A2)+1) Select B2:C2, copy down as far as required -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "Nigel" <Nigel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64C2A4BD-CCF9-439...

Link row to Column
I have a spreadsheet that has multiple tabs. I want to have a row of data be linked to a column on the other tab. For example: A1 linked to A1 B1 linked to A2 C1 linked to A3 D1 linked to A4 Is there an easy way to transpose the link so that I don't have to manually create the link for each one? I have about 70 or so and growing. Try: Cell A1: =INDIRECT("Sheet2!A" & COLUMN(A1)) and drag across the columns Regards Trevor "Aaronous" <Aaronous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8EA38615-6B24-402B-8C2A-78E4189A4C45@microsoft.co...

Copy the last cell in an Excel column to another cell
I am a novice excel user. I have a spread sheet that continually changes, rows and columns add or subtract up to a total. The total column contiunues to grow in length as new entries are made. Can this last cell with an entry be copied to another cell, for example in a header back at the top of the spread sheet? I have tried to find a function to no avail...MAX wont work becasue the number can get smaller. Thanks in advance. Assuming that Column C contains the 'Total', try... =LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,C:C) Hope this helps! In article <79AF897E-5359-4786-9E60-6A2884...

Query AD
Hy, there is some tools that i can use to query the active directory? I need to know if users are members of some groups or not. Thanks Kentucky On 21 Nov 2006 05:56:58 -0800, "Kentucky" <aforino@libero.it> wrote: >Hy, there is some tools that i can use to query the active directory? >I need to know if users are members of some groups or not. >Thanks >Kentucky ldp.exe (Windows Support Tools Download) adfind (you can google that) are two popular tools On 21 Nov 2006 05:56:58 -0800, "Kentucky" <aforino@libero.it> wrote: >Hy, there is some to...

Align receipt column to the left
Hi All, I have the following XML code from my a4 receipt. All I am trying to do is make the row <ROW> "||Discount||" Entry.ReasonDiscount.Code "|" align left so that it appears under my lookup code or description (i'm using entry.comment) I cannot seem to get this to work and I am very confused by the alignment command. Can anyone please help? It's an full page receipt using Opos drivers. I have included the code concerned below; <TABLE> <TOP> HeaderHeight + MarginTop </TOP> <FONT> "Small"...

Column-Line Chart w/ Dates
I have a chart that is using columns for category "A" on the primary x-axis (a $ amount). This category is broken down first by person, then by month. So essentially from left to right the columns will be person "1" and month "1", person "1" and month "2", person "1" and month "3", person "2" and month "1", and so on.... The chart is also using lines to mark category "B" on the secondary x-axis (a $ amount that is a portion of category "A", but not a percentage. Essentially c...

adding comment lines to SOP Invoice
I am trying to find a way to add about 6-10 lines of comments to the SOP Invoice. I have tried the Comment ID detail but can't seem to find a way to get more than four lines to print. I tried using report writer to stretch out the fields but no luck. Any suggestions? JO, Try adding Comment Text from the Sales User-defined Work/History table. HS "JO" <jo'neal@naumes.com> wrote in message news:1105993067.034166.38700@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I am trying to find a way to add about 6-10 lines of comments to the > SOP Invoice. I have tried the Comment I...

Error message when hiding columns
Has anyone seen this error message before when trying to hide columns? "Cannot shift objects off sheet." -- valenj ------------------------------------------------------------------------ valenj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24087 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=376912 maybe this'll help: XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769 valenj wrote: > > Has anyone seen this error message before whe...

Need help with formula!!!!
A B 9 Right ear % =VLOOKUP($F$4,Sheet2!A2:B65,2) 10 Left ear % =VLOOKUP($F$5,Sheet2!A3:B66,2) 11 Enter lesser %: =IF(B9>B10,B10,B9) 12 Enter greater %: =IF(B10>B9,B10,B9) 13 Bilateral Hearing Loss: =(((B12*5)+B13)/6)/100 This formula calcualtes the % of hearing loss in the right ear and the left ear then uses a formula to calculate the % of total bilatearl hearing loss. The formula in B13 multiplies the lesser % of the...

formula for a column #2
I'm working on a daily worksheet where all the values for a column will be the same ex. L2/C2, L3/C3, L4/C4 How do I set it up? Assuming the column you want to compute the values is in say, col M Put in M2: =IF(C2=0,"",L2/C2) and press ENTER Point the cursor to the bottom right corner of M2 (cursor will turn into a "black cross") Drag to fill as far down as required .. -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "msdobe" <msdobe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:529B3703-9D9A-4560-80D...

Adding Sound to Outlook 2000 Email
Is it possible? Does one have to use a certain type of email message then (plain, rich, office- add-in), or what? Confused.... I'd like to have the sound played while the email is opened...not as a file attachment. Are you trying to send an email and want the sound played when someone receives it? OR do you want a sound played when you open a particular email. If you want sound played when you open an email, you will have to setup a rule using the Tools, Rules Wizard and then specify what you want to happen when an email arrives for you. If you need the entire steps let me know...

Hiding Columns #2
I have a spreadsheet where 5 identical sheets feed into a summary sheet. The columns are dates where people enter the time that they have spent on a certain job. In the summary sheet I have a formula adding the corresponding cell in each of the sheets. I was wondering if anybody knew how I could hide a column on the summary sheet only if the formula result is zero from the data coming from the 5 other sheets. Thanks, Jane And if you really meant columns, you could use a macro: Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim iCol As Long Dim wks As Worksheet Set wks = Worksheets(...

Using formatted cells in formulas
I have been provided a worksheet with a list of 5-digit part numbers that the creator of the worksheet formatted as zip code to preserve leading zeros. I need to use these cells in a formula which uses the "&" operator to tack on a suffix. For example: Original part number cell A1 = 2345 (with zip code formatting displays as 02345) I need cell A2 to be 02345XX, so I'm using the following formula: A1&"XX". Problem is, when I do this, Excel drops the leading zero and displays 2345XX. Is there a way to have Excel use the formatted display string for cell A1 inst...

RemoveStar on mouse, using Excel draging Formula etc.
When I point to a cell to drag it or add a list of consecutive numbers or drag my formula to adjacent cells this *&^@^ star appears instead of the usual pointer. It messes up everything , Please tell me how to get rid of it. ----------an octegenarion amateur! P.S. I'm using Excel in Office 2003 A star generally has 5 points. I cannot think of any Excel pointer that has 5 points. Perhaps a better description of the figure and what it does to mess things up. Does it prevent dragging cells or formulas? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 12:08:01 -0700, robo9763 &l...