Formatting email and web addresses in Excel

Hi all...
I want to put email and web addresses in my worksheets, but I do not want
them to be active links. IOW, they should be just text, not links to emails
or web pages.

I have tried formatting the cells as text and general. I have even put the
web address without the www., but it still reformats it!

Any tips???
Thanks!
JJ

Put a single quote (apostrophe) in front of the address
--
Gary's Student

"JohnnyJomp" wrote:

> Hi all...
> I want to put email and web addresses in my worksheets, but I do not want
> them to be active links. IOW, they should be just text, not links to emails
> or web pages.
>
> I have tried formatting the cells as text and general. I have even put the
> web address without the www., but it still reformats it!
>
> Any tips???
> Thanks!
> JJ
0
GarysStudent (1572)
1/30/2006 11:35:27 PM
Try one of these options, JJ:
http://www.officearticles.com/excel/remove_hyperlinks_in_microsoft_excel.htm
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"JohnnyJomp" <JohnnyJomp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all...
> I want to put email and web addresses in my worksheets, but I do not want
> them to be active links. IOW, they should be just text, not links to
> emails
> or web pages.
>
> I have tried formatting the cells as text and general. I have even put the
> web address without the www., but it still reformats it!
>
> Any tips???
> Thanks!
> JJ

0
ng1 (1444)
1/31/2006 12:09:28 AM
not much point to using MS Word to remove links,
when you can use a macro,  see
  http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=OhPTqlQ0FHA.2792%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
---
HTH,

"Anne Troy" <ng@officearticles.com> wrote in message news:OijDcqfJGHA.964@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Try one of these options, JJ:
> http://www.officearticles.com/excel/remove_hyperlinks_in_microsoft_excel.htm
> ************
> Hope it helps!
> Anne Troy
> www.OfficeArticles.com
>
> "JohnnyJomp" <JohnnyJomp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all...
> > I want to put email and web addresses in my worksheets, but I do not want
> > them to be active links. IOW, they should be just text, not links to
> > emails
> > or web pages.
> >
> > I have tried formatting the cells as text and general. I have even put the
> > web address without the www., but it still reformats it!
> >
> > Any tips???
> > Thanks!
> > JJ

Thank you Gary's Student!
John

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

> Put a single quote (apostrophe) in front of the address
> --
> Gary's Student
>

> "JohnnyJomp" wrote:
>
> > Hi all...
> > I want to put email and web addresses in my worksheets, but I do not want
> > them to be active links. IOW, they should be just text, not links to emails
> > or web pages.
> >
> > I have tried formatting the cells as text and general. I have even put the
> > web address without the www., but it still reformats it!
> >
> > Any tips???
> > Thanks!
> > JJ
Hi JohnnyJomp

In 2002 and up you can change this

Tools > Options > Spelling
Press "AutoCorrect Options" Button
AutoFormat As You Type Tab
Remove Check from "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks"
OK
OK

If you have fill in a address and Enter to confirm you
can use Ctrl-Z to make it text.

Or start with a '

You can run this macro also to make text of all hyperlinks
in your worksheet

Sub test()
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Delete
End Sub

Alt-F11
Insert>Module from the menubar
paste the sub in there
Alt-Q to go back to Excel

If you do Alt-F8 you get a list of your macro's
Select "test" and press Run

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"JohnnyJomp" <JohnnyJomp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75F82E5C-9961-452F-86F4-CE3F759095FB@microsoft.com...
> Thank you Gary's Student!
> John
>
> "Gary''s Student" wrote:
>
>> Put a single quote (apostrophe) in front of the address
>> --
>> Gary's Student
>>

>> "JohnnyJomp" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all...
>> > I want to put email and web addresses in my worksheets, but I do not want
>> > them to be active links. IOW, they should be just text, not links to emails
>> > or web pages.
>> >
>> > I have tried formatting the cells as text and general. I have even put the
>> > web address without the www., but it still reformats it!
>> >
>> > Any tips???
>> > Thanks!
>> > JJ