Formatting a Row Question

Is it possible to conditionally format an entire row based
on input into one cell in that row, or am I "rowing"
upstream?

All help on this appreciated,

Bryan
0
anonymous (74722)

Yes, perhaps a simple example to illustrate ..

Select row1 (click on the row header)

Click Format >Conditional Formatting

Under Condition 1, make the settings:
Formula Is | =$B1=1
Click Format button > Patterns tab > gray > OK

Click OK at the main dialog

Now key in a "1" into B1, press Enter
Row1 will be coloured gray

Clear B1, the colour disappears

(Note that the $ sign in the formula is important)
--
Rgds
Max
"Bryan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to conditionally format an entire row based
> on input into one cell in that row, or am I "rowing"
> upstream?
>
> All help on this appreciated,
>
> Bryan

0
demechanik (4694)
9/17/2004 1:51:10 PM
Hi Max,

That's close to what I was looking for.  Problem is I'd
like the row to format the color in regardless of what is
entered in the cell.  Specifically, there will be dates
entered in that cell and they will, of course, vary.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Bryan

0
anonymous (74722)
9/17/2004 2:33:09 PM
Hi Again Max,

I figured it out.  Used <>0 instead of the =1, works just
like I wanted it to.

Thanks for getting me on the right track.

Have a great day,

Bryan

0
anonymous (74722)
9/17/2004 2:47:15 PM
Glad to hear that, Bryan !
Thanks for the feedback
--
Rgds
Max
> Hi Again Max,
>
> I figured it out.  Used <>0 instead of the =1, works just
> like I wanted it to.
>
> Thanks for getting me on the right track.
>
> Have a great day,
>
> Bryan

0
demechanik (4694)

Installation question
Hello, I was requested to downgrade a computer at my office to XP. I used a keyfinder to locate the product key for her office installation since the packaging could not be found. I noticed that the product was Office Pro Plus 2007. There is no install disk for Pro Plus 2007 in the office, only for Pro 2007. I did a test run on a spare computer just to verify it would work with her product key, and it shows invalid. Will the product key only work when installing with Pro Plus or did I just copy it down incorrectly? Thanks for any help. Seth Office Pro Plus is a Volume...

concerting into cvs format
I have a code for converting into a cvs format: DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, "qryDocExportSpecification", "QryDocs", "QryDocs.csv" However, the file i get at the end in MyDocuments is an excel file and not a word notepad file. Why is i so and how could i correct this situaion ? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-conversion/200709/1 Are you sure the file is an XLS spreadsheet? Or is it just that CSV files default to opening in Excel? If you open the file with Notepad, you may find it is a text fi...

average a row of numbers?
I am trying to get the average of a row of numbers with various numbers of columns. I have 50 rows of numbers and am looking for the formula to average all of the rows, showing the average of each row. I know how to do them individually, but very time consuming. Any help would be appeciated. Insert a column and enter =AVERAGE(B1:IV1) Copy down 50 rows. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 16:56:01 -0700, wannabe68 <wannabe68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to get the average of a row of numbers with various numbers of >columns. I have 50 rows ...

Automatic scientific format when entering 5E100
When entering an alpha-numeric value into a cell such as 5E100, Excel automatically converts this to the scientific numeric value. I know that this can be over-ridden by placing an ' before the text, though I need to upload the Excel file into a software programme and the ' is causing a problem. Is there anyway to just have the alpha-numeric entry, but somehow 'fudge' the format to ensure that it does not deafult to the scientific format. When changing the format of the cell, it does not seem to revert back to 5E100, regardless of the format. Andy, Can you format the ...

Question about the duplicate mail
Do anyone have the question about the duplicate mail? I have question on it. When I send mail to two same address, the receiver will only receive one copy. (For example: I send mail to person 'A', 'B'. And 'B' will forward to 'A'). In the past(I have use another mail server), 'A' will receive two copy. Now (using exchange server) 'A' will receive only one copy. In the case, is it normal for exchange, or is there any option to set exchange server to receive two copy. This is normal. Prevents multiple copies when sending to multiple disti...

Conditional Formatting #5
I am trying to apply a condional format to a range of cells in a column. I want the cells to turn green when a cell in an adjacent column = 5. Presumably this can be done by a formula in conditional formatting? Can anyone adsvise? -- ANDYPAND ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ANDYPAND's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25351 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389321 Hi Andy, You are right. If you format the range [A2:A10] then: 1) select the range [A2:A10] (make sure [A2...

change column to rows with a match
I need a worksheet formula that can do this : data in columns: result: A B U V W X Y Z 1 bill 22 1 bill 22 7 4 7 22 2 bill 7 2 joe 5 5 3 bill 4 3 ian 8 10 8 6 4 bill 7 4 ann 3 8 10 5 bill 22 6 joe 5 7 joe 5 8 ian 8 9 ian 10 10 ian 8 11 ian 6 12 ann 3 1...

OWA Question #19
Hello All: We have a public folder containing a shared address book. I would like to have this available in owa in teh drop down menu where the global address list appears......just as it is when using outlook locally. Is there anyway to accomplish this? Thanks ...

Novice Question
Ok, firstly, sorry for the very general question! Basically, I have coded a program using MFC. It is Dialog Based and consists of some textfields and a few buttons. My program is called DCP and the App Wizard created a DCP.cpp and DCPDlg.cpp files for me (and a few others). The bulk of the functionality of my program is written in the DCPDlg.cpp file - is this correct? For example, when I created a button and clicked on it in the resource (dialog) view it automatically puts a function for it in the DCPDlg.cpp file i.e. void CDCPDlg::OnButtonPrint() { // Do some stuff here } I have ne...

Change Endnote Formats
I would like to move my endnotes into a column format but maintain the numbering and hyperlinks. Can you assist? Have you tried inserting a section break before the endnote area and then format the newly inserted section in the desired number of columns? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "LisaS" <LisaS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4562914-56B1-40E7-9A75-2676EAEBFE7A@microsoft.com... >I would like to move my endnotes into a column format but maintain the > numbering and hyperlinks. Can you assist? ...

Question about autocoloring cells?
Hi all, I have a question about autocoloring cells, rows, columns, etc. This is not about conditional formatting - it's about, for example, coloring every other row automatically per some function or style setup. The example I have is a row-based database of recruiters. As my contacts list grows and shrinks, I have been having to manually recolor every other row light blue for visibility purposes. Not that much of a hassle but (a) I'd prefer not to do it and (b) if Excel has a way to do it for me, so much the better, I learn a new feature of Excel. Is there a way that Excel can a...

copying and pasting rows
hey guys, I need some help, I need to copy a row, and paste it into the next available empty row on a separate sheet, any help would be much appreciated!!! thanks, Josh Ashcraft Maybe this will help you Josh http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy1.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "josh ashcraft" <joshashcraft@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:0d3a01c35c37$0569ead0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > hey guys, > I need some help, > I need to copy a row, and paste it into the next available > empty row on a separate sheet, any help would ...

Form design (formatting)
Hi Everyone, I want my forms to look nice now. I've been looking around on the sites I have collected from visiting the newsgroups here but haven't seen any examples of how others have been creative in making forms look nice. I specifically want to make my entry form to look good. It's basically blank now with hyperlinks to the main data entry form and the report my current users use. My idea is to create a blackboard or bulletin boare of sorts to communicate new enhancements to the database, maybe a weekly message, etc... Anybody have any examples? Thanks, Linda T...

Column chart question
How can I group data in column chart? _Week_ _Day_ _Qty_ 1- Fri - 200 2- Fri- 350 3- Fri- 150 1- Sat- 225 2 - Sat -200 3- Sat -100 How do I make column chart with all Fri together and all Sat togethe and label the weeks -- rajgopa ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rajgopal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=728 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31952 You could create a pivot table with Weeks & Days as your axis. So you will get a table like: ... ...

Format/Column/Autofit selection lost
In Excel 2002 I was trying to put the Format/Column/Autofit Selection option onto the toolbar. In the Customize/Commands window I could not find this command under the Format category (or any other). I then tried to drag the option from the Format/column menu onto the toolbar which effectively deleted the option from that menu. Any ideas? If you hold the control down when you drag that menu item, you'll end up with two copies. I like to do it this way: Tools|customize (just to show that dialog) then expand the menu and control copy the item to its new location. You should be a...

how to append text to the end of a row
I have to batch rename a few thousand images that are named something like 1-1234-1111-1.jpg A program I have can rename using a csv file with 2 columns originalname;newname 1-1234-1111-1.jpg;978-1-1234-1111-1.jpg This works awesome, however it has to include the extension because otherwise it can't match up the files... which is good because its possible that there could be files with the same name but different extension. I can easily open the csv in notepad and find replace ; with .jpg; but I don't know how to do that for the 2nd row. There is a space after the last characte...

pivot chart formatting #2
Hi there, I've a sheet with a cake pivot chart. I customized different parts of the chart (colour of characters, data format in perc.,etc). When I update the pivot table connected, the chart loses my previous setting. Is there any trick to solve this problem? Thank you in advance. Renato Hi, This is a known problem. See KB article. Changing a PivotChart Removes Series Formatting http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q215904 Cheers Andy Renato wrote: > Hi there, > I've a sheet with a cake pivot chart. I customized > different parts of the chart (col...

question #5
I have normal excel document consisted of 2 columns A and B. In each columns there are 4000 rows. In each row is url adress in form: http://www.studiotatjana.com I want new list of urls in column C which is sum of values in column A and B. So there will be 8000 urls in column C. But there needs to be only one rule. If value in one row of 4000 row in column A is identical to any value in any row in column B then that value do not go to colum C. I want that if one url adress can be fund in column A and B that that url is deleted and do not go to column C. All values in colum A are difere...

very basic accounting question regarding great plains modules
I will preface this by saying I'm the IT guy here, not the accounting guy, so I may get some details wrong. Our accounting dept uses microsoft dynamics/gp and is trying to reconcile payments made to health insurance to the general ledger. The payments are all made individually in payroll but need to be totalled to reconcile against the lump sum paid to the insurance company. The person in charge out there says that 'the modules won't talk to eachother', I am assuming this is the AP module and the Payroll module, but I could be wrong. Is this true? The modules won't talk...

Format Columns Autofit v. Print Preview
If I use the Format Columns Autofit feature, then I do a Print Preview, my columns are "fitted" and I have to adjust them in Print Preview. I wouldn't think I would have to do this w/Autofit. ...

Conditional Formatting formula not acceptable?
I'm trying to Conditional Format a number of cells using "Formula Is" & "=ISODD(INT($f2))=True", ie. if the value in F2 is odd, format the data. I keep getting the message "You may not use references to other worksheets or workbooks for Conditional Formatting Criteria". Why am I getting this error? I used this formula instead: =MOD($F358,2)<>0 But was interested to know why my original wasn't acceptable. XL2003 WinXPSP2 -- | +-- Thief_ | =isodd() is in the analysis toolpak (tools|addins). It's not built into excel. Thief_ wrote: ...

Strange border format.
In my sheet, I have a bunch of cells that have dotted borders, I cannot change this under format. When I add a column alongside, that part of the column offers no gridlines at all, all is blank. How do I rectify this please, and get back to naormal cell border format? Thank you. Maybe you're seeing page break marks. To turn them off, choose Tools>Options. On the View tab, remove the check mark from Page Breaks. Click OK Rodney wrote: > In my sheet, I have a bunch of cells that have dotted borders, > I cannot change this under format. > When I add a column alongside, ...

Bad XML formatting from XmlTextWriter
Here is a function more or less exactly as I found it from somewhere on the internet. static string BeautifyXML(string sXML) { string result = ""; System.IO.MemoryStream ms = new System.IO.MemoryStream(); System.Xml.XmlTextWriter w = new System.Xml.XmlTextWriter(ms, System.Text.Encoding.Unicode); System.Xml.XmlDocument d = new System.Xml.XmlDocument(); try { //load the xml into the document object d.LoadXml(sXML); w.Formatting = System.Xml.Formatting.Indented; //copy the xml into a formatting XmlTextWriter d.WriteContentTo(w); w.Flush(); ms.Flush(); //rewi...

Access 2000 converting to US date format once entered
Whenever I enter a date (UK format) in Access such as 31/08/2003, it changes to 08/31/2003. I have Office 2000 installed on a Windows 2000 PC. The regional settings are set to English (United Kingdom) with default values and the Keyboard Local is also set to English (UK). Additionally, I have checked the Langauage setting for Office 2000 and it is set to English (UK). I would appreciate if anyone can help resolve this problem as there doesn't appear to be a solution on the MS Knowledge base. Thanks Joe Russell ...

Two problems, Conditional Formatting and Printing a record
I know these are two seperate problems, but I got them to work and I don't understand how. First: I have 6 fields that are conditionally formatted to be bold/red bg/yellow font if a corrosponding check box is ticked. It is coded: EXPRESSION IS [HP].Value=-1 Where HP is the Checkbox It doesn't work.....sort of. Second: I have a macro that print previews a report based on the ID (primary key) of the currecnt record (to be printed). When the button is clicked, a pop up appears asking for the ID (ID1). This is the macro coding: [ID1]=[Forms]![App 1]![ID1...