format based on data from another cell

I want the names in column B of my spread sheet to highlight either red or
yellow based on the value of the cell in column L, but with conditional
formatting you can only format based on the value of the cell you are
formatting, as far as i can tell.

Hi Sanna

conditional formatting can be used to do this,
select the column B cells that you want the formatting to be applied to,
ensure that the first selected cell is the first line visible at the top of
the worksheet
choose format / conditional formatting
choose
formula is
type
=$L2=x
where row 2 is the first row in the selected column and x is the criteria
that you want to check for
click format - set your formatting
click ADD
repeat for the 2nd condition

--
Cheers
JulieD
"Sanna R." <Sanna R.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want the names in column B of my spread sheet to highlight either red or
> yellow based on the value of the cell in column L, but with conditional
> formatting you can only format based on the value of the cell you are
> formatting, as far as i can tell.

0
JulieD1 (2295)

Data Consolidation #2
Hey All, ...

Change font size based on value of a cell
If the value of A1>0, I need the font size in a merged cell to change from the default 10 to 16. It needs to return to the default size when A1 returns to a value of 0. Can someone help with this? Thanks. Michael Here's a little macro that will do it....... Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Range("a1").Value = 0 Then Range("B1:E3").Font.Size = 10 Else Range("B1:E3").Font.Size = 16 End If Range("B1").Select End Sub Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "MichaelRLanier@gmail.com" wrote: > ...

min:sec formated as am pm
I've got an Excel 97 spreadsheet with cells formatted as time type 13:30. When I enter a time 4:30 (4 minutes, 30 seconds) it changes it to 4:30am. The type still shows 13:30 however. What is wrong? Thanks, Brad "Brad Reichert" <breicher@removethischesaning.k12.mi.us> wrote in message news:uv21QKywDHA.540@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I've got an Excel 97 spreadsheet with cells formatted as time type 13:30. > When I enter a time 4:30 (4 minutes, 30 seconds) it changes it to 4:30am. > The type still shows 13:30 however. What is wrong? > > Thanks, When...

Template Wizard with Data Tracking #2
I have been using this add-in just fine for about a year, gathering data from about 20 users onto an Excel Database by having them all use the template. But I recently made some changes and then began having the following problem: After a worksheet has been created using the template, and saved as a new record in the database, and then we want to go back in to change the record and update it in the database, the option does not appear to update the database; the only options continue to be to create a new record or to proceed without saving to the database. It is as though the sys...

hanging indent in a cell
This may be asking too much of XL, but, using Excel 2007, is there a way to make the text in a cell where wrap is selected appear as a hanging indent? That is with all wrapped lines after the first one in that cell be indented? Excel doesn't make for much of a word processor. Maybe you can force the wraptext using alt-enters and mimic the indent by using extra spaces before the first word of the 2nd - nth lines in the cell??? Jeff@nospam.fake wrote: > This may be asking too much of XL, but, using Excel 2007, is there a way > to make the text in a cell where wrap ...

Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool
I'm not having any luck in finding more information about the Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool and even a harder time locating the download. I've read article http://www.microsoft.com/windows/timezone/dst2007.mspx, it contains a link to the Microsoft Download Center but the tool doesn't list when you select the downloads for Outlook. I tried to do a search on MS for the "Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool", with no luck locating the download. Does anyone know where to obtain a copy of the tool or if Microsoft has released it out to download. The MS articles state it...

Split cells #6
Hi, I have the following data "Sep 8 2005 12:00:00:000AM" and need i splitting down so that only the sep 8 2005 is in the cell. Formattin the cell will not work (unless I am doing something wrong). Please help - thank you in advanc -- moglione ----------------------------------------------------------------------- moglione1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2641 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46991 Is your entry a 'text' entry or a numeric entry with special formatting to display MDY HH:...

Cell Formating Problems
This is what I do: I open up a brand new worksheet. I format cell A1 to text. Then I enter the number 1 into it. Then I format the cell to Numeric and the 1 in the cell does not change. it stays as (left justified 1. If I delete the 1 and type a 1 into that cell and hit Enter, it become 1.00 (a number). Whats happening here??? Why doesn't it convert the 1 to a 1.00 when format the cell to numeric? Why do I have to re-enter the number -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com brain It was originally entered as Text. Simply re-formatting doesn't change its underlying ...

Change base language
Hi I need to change the base language of CRM 4.0 I think I have to uninstall CRM and delete the CRM databases and then install again in the other language, it's not a big problem because there is no data in CRM but what about the registration would there be any problems registering the same server again ? /Jack There will be no problem in registeration .Never seen it . ------ Aamir Blog = http://mscrmsupport.wordpress.com/ No it all went well, uninstalled and deleted the databases and a new registration with same information and we are up running the right base language :) /J...

System Data Protection 2007 on a SBS 2008 Domain
Hi all, This is a lab situation where I have SBS 2008 running on HyperV and doing well... I would like to install Server 2008R2, give it 2 or 4 GBs RAM, 2 CPUs and then install System Data Protection 2007 Has anyone tried this? Is it doable at all? Thanks to all, Dan On Jan 7, 11:52=A0am, "Daniel Jewel" <cyberdud...@yahoo.com.br> wrote: > Hi all, > > This is a lab situation where I have SBS 2008 running on HyperV and doing > well... > > I would like to install Server 2008R2, give it 2 or 4 GBs RAM, 2 CPUs and > then install Sy...

Format cell to display numbers instaed of ###'s
Not sure how to querry this in the KB.... but I want to be able to have a number such as 4 1/8 in a cell that is set at width less than what is required to display it properly. Same with a date/time entry. In cells where I'm entering text, the text will "spill" over if the adjoining cells are empty of data. No so with number's. How do I change it so it will display as 4 1/8 without widening the cell? If I place an apostrophe ' in front of the number, or format the cell as plain text it will work, but I really need to retain the numeric value. Thanks, David... ...

Equations and Text in same Cell
I am using Excel to write a program. I would like to incorporate text within the same cell as the result of an equation but the I cannot control the number of decimal places that the output displays. I've tried using the Number tab in the Format Cell feature but nothing changes. Is there a way to control the number of decimal places when you are combining text with the results of an equation? yes. you could incorperate the round() funciton. post your formula regards FSt1 "Eric" wrote: > I am using Excel to write a program. I would like to incorporate...

format end notes to appear at the chapter, not end of document?
I need my end notes to appear at the end of each chapter. Word puts them at the end of the document. Can I do this manualy, or is there a shortcut format I can use? Right-click an endnote and choose Note Options from the context menu. At "Location," choose "End of document." Make sure that "Apply changes to" reads "Whole document"; then click Apply. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Liz" <Liz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9569343-3363-45DD-A61A-9990C9689443@microsoft.com... >I need my e...

How do I find root mean square of a periodic data in Excel

Updating a Running total from a cell
Hi, I have an inventory list that I want to update the "On-Hand" field, keep the running total, from an update entry into the "this shipment" field for each inventory item. I will not be adding lines, just updating the "this shipment" cell for each product. I want it to look like this: On Hand This Shipment Running Total Product #1 5 3 8 Product #2 10 -5 5 Product #3 20 10 30 ...

Microsoft Money 2005 not picking up data
I have recently bought a new computer (still with XP) and a) loaded my copy of MM 2005 Standard to it and b) loaded the data files for MM which I copied from the old computer. But I cannot get the program to pick up the data - and of course, support from Microsoft ended last month! Can anyone suggest what I should do to get the data to connect with the software program? -- Patsy In microsoft.public.money, patsy <patsycj@ozemail.com.au(donotspam)> wrote: >I have recently bought a new computer (still with XP) and a) loaded my copy >of MM 2005 Standard to it and b) loaded th...

manipulating number formats
Hi If I type in $1,238,000 I want the cell to display $1,000. Similarly if I type in $15,965,945 I want the cell to display $16,000. Can I do this without using the round function? Thanks I do not believe you can if you are using ws functions. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Billy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:081001c3af96$c1e9dc30$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hi > > If I type in $1,238,000 I want the cell to display $1,000. > Similarly if I type in $15,965,945 I want the cell to > display $16,00...

Formatted Text in Autocorrect, Word 2008 for Mac
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC I want to set up an autocorrect entry where I replace something with =formatted= as opposed to =plain= text. Specifically, I want to replace "qqq" with "QQQQQ" formatted in 14 pt Britannic Bold. However, I cnanot change the signal button from "plain' to "formatted" text. is there a way to do this? Type the word you want to use to replace "qqq" and format it inside your document. Select it, then click on Tools>AutoCorrect. You can now click the "formatted text&...

deleting entire rows with the same cell value in the first column
Hi! I have an huge table in which there are lots of rows that have the same value as the one in the row before: 1 1 1 2 2 2 How can I delete them leaving this way only one row per value without searching for them and deleting them manualy? Any help welcome! Pedro, assuming your data starts in a1, in b1 type =if(a1=a2,"Y","") and copy down for the length of your data. Then filter on Y and delete all those rows. HTH -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "Pedro F." wrote: > Hi! > I have an huge table in which there are lots of rows that have the same >...

Utilities for Importing Data into O2003
Anyone have suggestions for utilities that allow importing into custom fields in Outlook from Excel and other formats? Shawn See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/customimport.htm#tools --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "srm" <srm@primatech.com> wrote in message = news:1139309174.143782.221290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Anyo...

Passing Cell values to a SQL statement
I have set up a spreadsheet that uses excel's "Get external data" feature to connect to a SQL database and run a querry. The problem is that I need to get data for several different product codes. These codes change from time to time but basically the querry looks like this Select * from SalesData Where SalesData.productCode = 1 Or SalesData.productCode = 2 is there a way to set it up such that the product codes are passed to the statement from cell values in a given range? This way it would dynamically retrive whatever I am looking for. Also if any of you double as SQL wizza...

Routing the emails for another ISP (Exchange 2000)
Hello, I am analyzing a situation for a client: I has a LAN that has 4 PCs, assigned to 4 local users, each one has an email account (Exchange 2000). But emails should not be routed for the ISP that is being used, they must be routed for another ISP set. What options do I have for this. I hope you understand my question. Thanks. ...

how to increment cell formula by 5 rather than 1
Good morning group. Formula in Cell F1 =SLOPE(D10:D14,B10:B14) Formula in Cell F2 =SLOPE(D20:D24,B20:B24) Formula in Cell F3 =SLOPE(D30:D34,B30:B34) Formula in Cell F88=.... Here's the problem. A simple copy formula down operation will not work for filling in cells F4-F88. What I end up with is this: Formula in cell F4=SLOPE(D31:D35,B31:B35) It is incrementing by 1, rather than the 10 that I need it to (SLOPE(D40:D44,B40:B44). I will need to do this several more times (grab various numbers of years (10, 15) to generate slope estimates. Thus if there is something that requires a bit o...

Network printing (another sufferer)
I added a comment to an earlier thread from September 2004, because I have been experiencing problems printing over a network from Publisher (2000) I noted that Brian Kvalheim had hinted that something might be afoot, but after that the thread goes cold. So... Brian, if you are out there, (or anyone else who can help) is there anything in the pipeline to address this problem, or a work-round? Many thanks in advance ...

problem with adding column, formatting
I saved a workbook in quatro pro 8 to excel format and then opened it in excel (ms office 2000). some of the columns will not permit reformatting - changing the date format or changing from currency to accountant number format. I can not add blank columns between columns containing data. A window pops up indicating that Excel will not insert a column as I will lose data. I have attempted to follow instructions in the documentation and in the help screen but can not insert blank columns. In the transfer process does excel end up with locked column and row structure and/or formatting of so...