Find and replace of word causes change of font formatting

Hi,

I am having a problem with find and replace.  In a cell with mixed format -
italics and regular text - when I do a find and replace of a "word" in the
text - it automatically changes all the formatting to italics.  I have
quadrupled checked the "formatiing options" .  That's not the reason.  It
seems like a "default" to the system for it to go to "italics" if that is one
of the formats in the cell.  I have looked this up in all available avenues
"Help", Micorsoft excel online, Microsoft Office, Goodgle.  You name it.  I
can't find anything on this subject.  I did see another guy on one of these
forums had a similar problem, only excel was changing his color fonts when he
did a find a replace in a cell.  Please, somebody help me.  Thanks. jwa90010
0
jwa90010 (10)

jwa90010,

When Excel finds and replaces text, it applies the formatting of the first
text character of the existing string to the entire new string. That is just
the way that Excel behaves.

You would need to write a macro that records the formatting of each
character prior to the replace and reformats the cell after based on that
record.  Not a simple macro, but do-able.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"jwa90010" <jwa90010@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am having a problem with find and replace.  In a cell with mixed
> format -
> italics and regular text - when I do a find and replace of a "word" in the
> text - it automatically changes all the formatting to italics.  I have
> quadrupled checked the "formatiing options" .  That's not the reason.  It
> seems like a "default" to the system for it to go to "italics" if that is
> one
> of the formats in the cell.  I have looked this up in all available
> avenues
> "Help", Micorsoft excel online, Microsoft Office, Goodgle.  You name it.
> can't find anything on this subject.  I did see another guy on one of
> these
> forums had a similar problem, only excel was changing his color fonts when
> he
> did a find a replace in a cell.  Please, somebody help me.  Thanks.
> jwa90010

0
Bernie
7/22/2005 2:42:00 AM
Thanks for your response.  I must admit I am stunned.  Why would MS write its
program that way?  I would think the default would be to keep the formatting
as is unless otherwise requested.  As to writing a macro.  That's out of my
league.  I am a self-employed business woman .  My business isn't computers.
How do I get a macro like your are suggesting written and installed in my
excel program?  Thanks, Joy

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

> jwa90010,
>
> When Excel finds and replaces text, it applies the formatting of the first
> text character of the existing string to the entire new string. That is just
> the way that Excel behaves.
>
> You would need to write a macro that records the formatting of each
> character prior to the replace and reformats the cell after based on that
> record.  Not a simple macro, but do-able.
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>
> "jwa90010" <jwa90010@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having a problem with find and replace.  In a cell with mixed
> > format -
> > italics and regular text - when I do a find and replace of a "word" in the
> > text - it automatically changes all the formatting to italics.  I have
> > quadrupled checked the "formatiing options" .  That's not the reason.  It
> > seems like a "default" to the system for it to go to "italics" if that is
> > one
> > of the formats in the cell.  I have looked this up in all available
> > avenues
> > "Help", Micorsoft excel online, Microsoft Office, Goodgle.  You name it.
> > can't find anything on this subject.  I did see another guy on one of
> > these
> > forums had a similar problem, only excel was changing his color fonts when
> > he
> > did a find a replace in a cell.  Please, somebody help me.  Thanks.
> > jwa90010

0
jwa90010 (10)
7/22/2005 1:32:02 PM
Seems macros are the only way to go.  Will learn macros now.  Thanks.  Joy

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

> jwa90010,
>
> When Excel finds and replaces text, it applies the formatting of the first
> text character of the existing string to the entire new string. That is just
> the way that Excel behaves.
>
> You would need to write a macro that records the formatting of each
> character prior to the replace and reformats the cell after based on that
> record.  Not a simple macro, but do-able.
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>
> "jwa90010" <jwa90010@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having a problem with find and replace.  In a cell with mixed
> > format -
> > italics and regular text - when I do a find and replace of a "word" in the
> > text - it automatically changes all the formatting to italics.  I have
> > quadrupled checked the "formatiing options" .  That's not the reason.  It
> > seems like a "default" to the system for it to go to "italics" if that is
> > one
> > of the formats in the cell.  I have looked this up in all available
> > avenues
> > "Help", Micorsoft excel online, Microsoft Office, Goodgle.  You name it.
> > can't find anything on this subject.  I did see another guy on one of
> > these
> > forums had a similar problem, only excel was changing his color fonts when
> > he
> > did a find a replace in a cell.  Please, somebody help me.  Thanks.
> > jwa90010

0
jwa90010 (10)
7/22/2005 3:09:03 PM

jwa90010 wrote:
> Seems macros are the only way to go.  Will learn macros now.  Thanks.  Joy

all snipped.....
If you want the ultimate help with macros look here for a start:
www.vbaexpress.com or www.officearticles.com/forums

Ralphael, the OLD one

0
ambraja (40)

How to change the TAB width in Outlook 2003?
Hi, I am using Outlook 2003 and can not find any place to change the tab width from 8 spaces to, say, 4 spaces. Could you point me that? Thanks. clinton__bill@hotmail.com <clinton__bill@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am using Outlook 2003 and can not find any place to change the tab > width from 8 spaces to, say, 4 spaces. In what window? The Compose window? Which editor are you using? -- Brian Tillman Brian Tillman wrote: > clinton__bill@hotmail.com <clinton__bill@hotmail.com> wrote: > > > I am using Outlook 2003 and can not find any place to change the...

how to chang cell color to text in excel worksheet
Hi I am very new comer in excel VBA programming please send me the VBA code how to change the cell color to text value. Atul Record a macro and do your changes to the selected cell/range and in the code you will generate something like this Selection.Font.ColorIndex = 3 where the 3 represents the colorindex for red colour which I chose during recording. Hope This Helps Regards, Mika Oukka <Greatatulpanday@gmail.com> wrote in message news:a7f80629-daf7-4910-8b20-f76ec2fe7248@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi > I am very new comer in excel VBA programming ple...

Page Size/Config changes w/ Printer Selection (???)
This is weird... Running Publisher 2003; & am drafting simple parking lot layouts on my work machine. Mt page size & config is 8.5" X 14", in 'Landscape'. We have a new office printer (An HP 2800); & when I print to that printer everything is OK. But when I now attempt to print to the printer in my cubicle (HP 1610)...the page size jumps down to 8.5" X 11'' (allowing the page content to spill over the top & bottom of the page, of course). If I print anyway (to 8.5" X 14" paper), the alignment is way off. Anyone know what ...

Date Format #36
Two people using the same form with a =weekday formula in a cell. The date must be a Wednesday. When one person types 12/21/05 it accepts that date and puts it in. When another person types 12/21/05 it won't accept it and the customized message pops up saying this isn't a Wednesday. So, the person types 21/12/05 and it accepts it, putting it in as 12/21/05. What gives? Connie On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:02:08 -0800, "Connie Martin" <ConnieMartin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Two people using the same form with a =weekday formula in a cell. The date ...

Protect Contents, but Not Format
On Excel 2000, how do I protect the contents of locked cells, but not the format? This option appears to be available in Excel XP, but not 2000. Hi AFAIK you can't as this was one of the new Excel 2002 (XP) features -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mike R wrote: > On Excel 2000, how do I protect the contents of locked cells, but not > the format? This option appears to be available in Excel XP, but not > 2000. ...

Date format #25
I would like to enter a date without having to enter -'s or /'s and have it display mm/dd/yy. I know how to make this work for phone numbers but can't seem to find the correct formatting for dates. Thank you. -- Though daily learning, I LOVE EXCEL! Jennifer Visit Chip Pearson's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm And you'll find one way. Jennifer wrote: > > I would like to enter a date without having to enter -'s or /'s and have it > display mm/dd/yy. I know how to make this work for phone numbers but can't > seem to find th...

Changes in Product Literature are not commited in the sytem
I changed the "types" in the form of the product literature in CRM. The changes are not propagated through the system. Still the changes are active in the "sales literature customization" form.... Can somebody help me with this??? Thanks Publish customizations in Deployement Manager Run - IISRESET "edskie" wrote: > I changed the "types" in the form of the product literature in CRM. The > changes are not propagated through the system. Still the changes are active > in the "sales literature customization" form.... > > Ca...

two problems using Outlook and Word
Does anyone know why it is that when I open an email in Outlook which comes in as an HTML doc, and try to respond to it, the format of the response converts it to plain text format in a hideous courier font? Which cannot be converted into HTML because the option is grayed out? Is this in some way related to the reason why I cannot now respond to emails without getting a warning that something is trying to access Microsoft Word and should I allow it and if so for how long? Whatever option I try, the result is the same, either Word opens as it should, as Word seems to open as this TXT version ...

Word, Excel & Powerpoint won't startup
I installed Microsoft Office X onto my new Mac (G4) running on Panther. When I start up Word, Excel or Powerpoint the programs 'unexpectedly quit'. I have removed Office and re-installed as well as repaired Disk Permissions from the hard drive as well as from CD startup. Please help. Thanks. Download and install the latest Office X updates, which are 10.1.2, 10.1.4, and 10.1.5 (10.1.3 is unnecessary). They�re available from Microsoft. <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx#OfficeX> The DivX codec has been known to cause this problem. If you have the DivX codec install...

Data Label Format
I have to data labels on a chart that overlap. Is it possible to wrap the text or change the data label box size so both labels are readable? Thanks for any help. Cody ...

change column header name
Is there anyway to make the column header display change from the letters to a custom header row. I've tried name the column and then turning off column/row headers, but it's not quite what I'm going for. Can you actually edit the A, B, C, etc. in any way? Dusty, You can't change column headers. They are either alphabetic or numeric; they cannot have custom values. You might find it useful to put your column headings in row 1 and freeze that row. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Dusty" &...

Validation, Conditional Formatting and Font Types
Hi, I am trying to create a situation where a user selects one of three options from a validated drop-down list ("Improving", "Constant", "Declining"). This bit is easy :-) What I want the cell to display is an arrow representing the value selected in the drop down (up arrow for increasing, right arrow for constant, down arrow for decreasing). I can't use a Conditional Formatting workaround in the cell, because I can't select the Wingdings 3 font in the CF dialogue box and if I select a range of pre-formatted cells in the validation dialogue box, ...

Color Font Turns Black When Copied and Pasted
When pasting a graph into a word document the colored font in textboxes turns black. I would like to keep the colors so that the text matches the color of the lines I am plotting. Autoshapes also retain their color. It is just the text boxes that have this problem. Any ideas? Thanks. Someone was complaining about this recently in another forum. I think the solution was to make a color printer the default printer. (I already had a color printer as my default, so I don't know for sure if this fixed the problem.) - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custo...

how to copy text in word then paste to change text in a table
I have a table that i need to replace the text weekly. I was hoping i could copy the text from Word, and then paste into the table every week the new change. I am using Publisher 2007 and have never used any previous versions to learn this trick. It's not a trick, you can actually do it. You may have to reformat the change once in Pub though. "Mel Clingan" <Mel Clingan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16614B31-7114-4DA5-9F27-916DE0102713@microsoft.com... |I have a table that i need to replace the text weekly. I was hoping i could | copy the ...

Where can I find information about word htm styles
I am working with documents created in word and then saved as HTM files. The issue is I am trying to decipher the documentation you see when you do 'view source' on an htm file created in word. I have searched the Microsoft site and cannot find any documentation on styles used such as mso-style-qformat or any of the mso type formatting. If there is a resource on the internet could someone please share the resource. thanks, -- Tucson Good luck with that. Sorry to say, but I think you will have difficulty finding any useful information. "I am working wi...

After Office2003 install, Outlook changes POP3 server
After I upgraded all my computers at work to Office 2003, each system now (post logoff/login) have the Incoming mail server (POP3) and User name modified. the POP3 is changed to local host, and the username is modified with and inclusion (ex normal: John Doe ex now with modification: Joh Doe/myemail.domain.com). I am using Windows 2000 server, and the only changes I have made since I noticed this issue was after I installed Office 2003. Now, every morning, my employess have to modify these settings back to the original to make thier email work. Any suggestions what the problem is? Any he...

Changing the public folder tree/store
Hi! I'd like to rename my Public Folder, and/or create a new one and delete the default one. How do I go about doing that? One of the reasons for this is because I'd like to remove "Internet Newsgroup" and other default created object in the Folder. Sincerely, /Uri Rosen On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 03:15:05 -0700, Uri Rosen <Uri Rosen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi! > >I'd like to rename my Public Folder, and/or create a new one and delete the >default one. How do I go about doing that? > >One of the reasons for this is bec...

Styles: Applying a style to one paragraph changes whole document
I am using Word 2007 for the first time as a formating tool. I have created a style called 'Dissertation Body', based on 'Normal'. I try to apply the Style to one paragraph but for some reason the whole document changes to the same style. I cant figure out why this is happening. I am good with the previous version of word but cant figure it out in this version. Can anybody help See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/WholeDocumentReformatted.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>&...

How best to find out who did what when
I'm trying to satisfy the boss who wants the ability to find out "who did what when" on our DBs. Essentially this request is calling for 24x7 monitoring. Any advice out there please? Should I profile (and if so what events etc) or poll sysprocesses in an indefinite loop? Are there any other options? Thanks from an accidental DBA. nzrdb6 (alex.campbell@sqltechconsulting.co.uk) writes: > I'm trying to satisfy the boss who wants the ability to find out "who > did what when" on our DBs. Essentially this request is calling for > 24x7 monitoring. Any ...

Writing Formula For conditional Formatting Using Excel 2000
Hi Everyone: Does anyone know how to write three seperate formulas for these questions in the conditional formatting box Using Excel 2000? 1?: Red. If the value that is calculated in cell B42 is = to or less then the value in Cell B43 turn Cell B42 Red. Actual value in cell B42 and B43 are whole numbers 2?: Light Green. If the value that is calculated in cell B42 is between 1% and 29.99% greater than the value in Cell B43 turn Cell B42 light green. 3?: Dark Green. If the value that is calculated in cell B42 is greater by 30% or more then the then the value in Cell B43 turn...

Using REPLACE function in Excel
Is it possible to Replace multiple lines of text in an Excel Cell as a single action - including the line returns? Manually? And did you use alt-enter to force the new line within the cell? Edit|replace what: (yourstringhere) with: (yournewstringhere) replace all When you're typing in the strings, you can use ctrl-j to represent the newline in the cell. Don't look at the screen--'cause it may not look like you're typing anything after the ctrl-j, but you are. GarryG wrote: > > Is it possible to Replace multiple lines of text in an Excel Cell as a single > act...

How to change the Lead name to Company name instead Contactperson'
How can I change the name off the Leads as shown in the Lead views? By default the name off a Lead - as shown in the views - is the name off the Contactperson's name - Instead I would like it to be the Company / Account name. Thanks in advance for your reaction Regards Leo You can't change the default index column, which in this case is the lead's name, but you can add a column to the view for the company name. This way you would get both the lead name and the company name. Go to Home > System Settings > Customization > Leads. Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blog...

Excel changes the values of my numbers
I have coded a simple user form in Excel that calculates a balance an assigns the proper values to cells in a worksheet. What I don' understand is that when I enter a number into the user form, the valu of that number changes once it gets assigned to the cell in th worksheet. For example, if I enter the number 542.73 ,the user for assigns the number to the proper cell in the worksheet but it shows u as 542.72998046875. It should show up as 542.73 because that's what entered. I am calculating a running balance so my calculations aren' coming out right. Sometimes they are off ...

Word was unable to open the data source
My problem is that my Excel data is not being "mail merged" into Word. I followed the suggestion of prompting the data source before opening and I can choose "MS Excel Worksheet via DDE (*.xls) when prompted. Next I choose th named or cell range which is "Entire Spreadsheet". Then in lowr left task bar it briefly says "Opening file . . . ." but then I am prompted with Word error "Word was unable to open the data source." If I try Office 2007 I use "OLE DB Database Files" when prompted to open data source. Then I select t...

Change Attribute Properties Before Installation
Is there any way to change ADAM so that the Locality-Name, Postal- Code, State-Or-Province-Name and Street-Address attributes are multi- valued on a new build? Our CTO wants us to create a customer ODS using ADAM and some of our customers have more than one address. He wants us to use x.500 attributes as much as possible. Based on what I have seen regarding this standard, these are the attributes that I should use, if I want to store the parts of the address separately. Hi unfortunately there is no supported way to do this as isSingleValued is itself system only and so cannot be...